Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Sydin posted:

Noah's not giving a lecture or a scientific dissertation: he's talking about his opinions on loving dark souls. If you honestly think that mispronouncing a word means his entire opinion on a video game series isn't worth listening to then... uh, well soldier on I guess. But ngl it kinda makes you come off as a insufferable.

e. Like if you never had any interest in watching the video then fine whatever, but if you were going to watch but are now not going to because the word "attribute" is mispronounced a handful of times then lol.

i am the ultimate fromsoft psycho but i respect myself enough not to subject myself to 5 hours of someone who expects the audience to exchange a huge chunk of their time for a persuasive essay that went unedited. with all due respect, my life will remain the same amount of enriched with or without the vid lol. its empty calories. im not being deprived (<----- joke of dark soul) of anything but something to pump in my ears while i work

Red Metal posted:

if you don't already know a word is a homograph, there's nothing inherent in it that would lead you to believe that it is

e: "attribute" is way less common than "read", it is far more likely for someone to have only ever heard one version of it

lol yeah im sures hes never encountered it his entire life. give me a break. it does rule that everyone thinks so little of this guy that theyre like "well what if he was a feral child"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

his funny weird dark souls observations are a result of being found in a cabbage patch

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fun hater posted:

i am the ultimate fromsoft psycho but i respect myself enough not to subject myself to 5 hours of someone who expects the audience to exchange a huge chunk of their time for a persuasive essay that went unedited. with all due respect, my life will remain the same amount of enriched with or without the vid lol. its empty calories. im not being deprived (<----- joke of dark soul) of anything but something to pump in my ears while i work

NCG is like one of maybe a half-dozen active content creators in totality where I'd argue your life is actually less rich by not consuming his content.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Noah should stop editing out his coughs and sneezes like in the good old days, so these pronunciation nerds would have a real problem to complain about

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Sydin posted:

NCG is like one of maybe a half-dozen active content creators in totality where I'd argue your life is actually less rich by not consuming his content.

come on dont throw me softballs like this

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i liked when you could hear him clicking to stop the recording

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I'm happy as long as no-one says ZEE-ex Spectrum.
I hope you make a full recovery.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
sorry but if this youtuber isnt wearing a full buisness suit and doing Received Pronunciation when they're talking about video games then i refuse to take them seriously. Is this man even accreddited by a Russel group university?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Online Creators + Reviewers V: This Time It's About Grammar!

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

souls games are better on easy mode

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gwen posted:

i liked when you could hear him clicking to stop the recording

:hmmyes:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Not pronouncing a specific word correctly isn't really an editing problem...

fun hater
May 24, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

it is the type of problem an editor (aka a friend with some free time) would have picked up instantly before they hit they "upload" button and could have been fixed

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i misspelled the word "balloon" in a vid once and it haunts me daily. please bring back annotations youtube i can fix her

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It seems completely reasonable to me to not watch a video that's 5 hour long if the narrator is pronouncing a word they use constantly in a way you find grating

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i am sympathetic to the fact that exporting and re-uploading/uploading a video is the most excruciating experience to go through so i also wouldnt want to do it a second time

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KingKalamari posted:

Incorrect, you can always Edit Through It™ Clearly what all video creators should do is cut together their script via audio samples from "how to pronounce" videos so that they can be assured every single word said is spoken with 100% accuracy, as not to offend the audience.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Sydin posted:

Incorrect, you can always Edit Through It™ Clearly what all video creators should do is cut together their script via audio samples from "how to pronounce" videos so that they can be assured every single word said is spoken with 100% accuracy, as not to offend the audience.

you can re-record lines........................???

fun hater
May 24, 2009

"oh so youre saying he needs to drag his dick across a floor made out of nails and glass to reach the poison keyboard so he can use evil microsoft sam to read his script?!" no im saying he should have showed it to a friend and re-recorded the lines.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i also don't watch videos where people talk in a way that grates me but i also wouldn't suggest anyone alter their production pipeline to suit my neuroses. the video is already at 350k or something so i don't think anyone would be sweating the dozens they're missing from pronunciation snafus

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fun hater posted:

"oh so youre saying he needs to drag his dick across a floor made out of nails and glass to reach the poison keyboard so he can use evil microsoft sam to read his script?!" no im saying he should have showed it to a friend and re-recorded the lines.

What if his friend also pronounces it that way? Or doesn't but doesn't pick up on that issue because they're not all that bent out of shape by bad pronunciation?

If you're saying Noah needs a professional editor then that's probably never happening given his style so yeah, stay away from his videos I guess if it's really that much of a deal breaker to you. I just find it very odd that something so small is the make or break between investing something as large as five hours of your time.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Sydin posted:

What if his friend also pronounces it that way?

lmfao

Sydin posted:

If you're saying Noah needs a professional editor

come on man. literally the opposite of what i said. in the post. you quoted!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

what if he's from the berenstain universe and that's just how they say it. what if a witch cursed him to pronounce a single word wrong. what if the sky was made of pudding

Ivypls posted:

i also don't watch videos where people talk in a way that grates me but i also wouldn't suggest anyone alter their production pipeline to suit my neuroses. the video is already at 350k or something so i don't think anyone would be sweating the dozens they're missing from pronunciation snafus

this too lol i think he'll survive the harsh criticism of a single person on a dead gay forum.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sydin posted:

Noah's not giving a lecture or a scientific dissertation: he's talking about his opinions on loving dark souls. If you honestly think that mispronouncing a word means his entire opinion on a video game series isn't worth listening to then... uh, well soldier on I guess. But ngl it kinda makes you come off as a insufferable.

e. Like if you never had any interest in watching the video then fine whatever, but if you were going to watch but are now not going to because the word "attribute" is mispronounced a handful of times then lol.

its a 5 hour long video dude

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fun hater posted:

lmfao

come on man. literally the opposite of what i said. in the post. you quoted!

You're arguing that any person he knows would have noticed this quirk, been annoyed by it, and told him to fix it. I am arguing that this is not at all the case and you seem to be projecting your own sensibilities a touch. :shrug:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The REAL Goobusters posted:

its a 5 hour long video dude

Yes, my point is that if you're not going to watch the five hour video anyway then that's fine! But if you were going to watch it and now plan to not because one word is said incorrectly like a half dozen times throughout, then that's dumb.

Look I don't know maybe I'm the nut job. I've worked with ESL people my whole life and have heard every weird as gently caress butchered pronunciation of English under the sun. I also suffer from having been dragged across the US through my formative years and have a result have an awful Frankenstein accent that is part Detroit, part Chicago, Part LA, part Bay Area so I can barely get through a conversation without somebody pointing out how I said a thing weird. I noticed the third or fourth time Noah said "attribute" the noun as you would the verb, thought "huh that's kind odd" and then just ignored it for the rest of the video. Maybe I'm just completely desensitized to this stuff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LUC3GD2G4

fun hater
May 24, 2009

lol pro click

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
My wasted time is better spent than your wasted time!!!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

If Noah was better at editing his videos we wouldn't have the moment in his big Resident Evil video where he finishes his final thoughts on RE4 and suddenly his dog starts barking like crazy and the recording cuts off just as he starts yelling "Jesus Christ God DAMMIT" so I think his stuff just fine as-is.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am gonna watch the king of comedy later.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If they somehow invent a teleporter personally I would not step inside it. You can make all the ship of thessus/continuity of conciousness arguments you want to me, I believe that if I were to be all at once destroyed and all at once reassembled somewhere else, whatever is at the new location is not "me" as I am now. I'll just wait until they invent the futurama vacuum tubes and uses those for travel.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i think noah is an eloquent guy with interesting thoughts that i appreciate hearing even when i don't agree with them, but ultimately it's still all entertainment

i didnt even notice 'attributes' but the way he pronounced oceiros floored me

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

now, to be fair, i would also not be confident in my pronunciation of 'oceiros' but that is not the answer i would have come up with

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

unironically, I do appreciate the new and novel ways this thread has discovered to slapfight about nothing. it is more entertaining then most of them.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Annointed posted:

thats one of my favorite movies ever. i hope you like it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Annointed posted:

It's a skip. They just ripped off Joker

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gwen posted:

one of my favorite bits is when people use all possible pronunciations in a video specifically to annoy people who get bent out of shape about it

Now to get the thread to jump to the defense of Joseph Anderson because he says Mario wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you pronounce Mario's name wring you are being an rear end in a top hat on purpose. He said his own name when he introduced himself, why are you deliberately saying it wrong