Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

God Hole posted:

well it gives the place that nice smokey smell that we all like and then that smoke goes up in the sky and turns into stars

that's what we need, ethnographic myths to explain this world to our great great grandchildren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
HPower doesn't smell really. Germaine's Luau (one of the most popular touristy Luaus on the island) is actually right next to it lol. It's a good luau though, I'd recommend it, it's just in a funny place.

Barbers point is where the last oil refinery in the state is too

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

Excited for micro plastics to destroy all animals ability to reproduce, at the same time as all biomes getting wrecked so there's no good place to live anyway.

good thing humans are above animals :smug: stupid animals living in their biomes like idiots, i live in a BUILDING get rekt squirrels

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

Fun read, thanks for sharing.

also plastic doomers: have you considered that perhaps things aren't actually that bad, because we've banned plastic straws

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ba da ba ba ba

I'm polymerizin' it

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

With reserves of nearly 300 million barrels of oil, Bay du Nord is the first remote, deep water project in the province’s offshore (500 kilometres from shore and approximately 1,200 metres deep). Equinor has said Bay du Nord would likely start pumping in the latter half of the decade, with production expected to peak at around 200,000 barrels a day.

The company says the project will provide about $3.5 billion in total revenues for the cash-strapped government of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Rime has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Apr 6, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

endlessmonotony posted:

The hope for climate class consciousness is dying.

Climate Posadism struggles to be born.

Now is the time of lol, lmao.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Rime posted:

With reserves of nearly 300 million barrels of oil

Lol that's 3 days of global oil usage, or another way it's 15 days of American oil usage.
America just devours oil, biggest user at 20% of the global share.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Greatest country on earth!!!!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

How are here mods in D&D so lovely? I just got told one was cornered for my mental health because I’m realistic that we won’t turn this round because it’s nihilism. Lol

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Mayor Dave posted:

Lmao

https://twitter.com/dpcarrington/status/1511651028525109253?t=1i99OSkN7dTY1iy5woNVlw&s=19

11 of the 13 people they examined had microplastics in their lungs
Amusing myself soon by taking a big deep breath and feeling the plastics inside resettle like a snow globe

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nothing a trip to Disneyland won’t fix

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I can't stop thinking about what the planet must've been like a hundred years ago. Or just fifty years ago.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Horizon Burning posted:

I can't stop thinking about what the planet must've been like a hundred years ago. Or just fifty years ago.

I experience constant, near daily, whiplash from attempting to reconcile my observations of the natural world thirty or even fifteen years ago with the world around me today, OP.

It has sucked all joy from outdoor activities, the only source of momentary escapism from existential horror which I had left to me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mayor Dave posted:

Lmao

https://twitter.com/dpcarrington/status/1511651028525109253?t=1i99OSkN7dTY1iy5woNVlw&s=19

11 of the 13 people they examined had microplastics in their lungs

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Rime posted:

I experience constant, near daily, whiplash from attempting to reconcile my observations of the natural world thirty or even fifteen years ago with the world around me today, OP.

It has sucked all joy from outdoor activities, the only source of momentary escapism from existential horror which I had left to me.

The lack of bugs is noticeable and distressing even to someone like me, who's pretty loving far from an outdoorsman

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

And thus my heart has turned to stone, and all my desires turned to the craving for revenge against humanity

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I remember the birds just teeming in my backyard as a kid, my favorite was the pileated woodpecker. Haven't seen one when visiting out there in years :(

The birds and the bugs are noticeably thinned out. Still a fair amount of hummingbirds were still showing up to the feeders last spring, cute spastic lil things, you'd think one of them would be guaranteed to just lance another one straight through from time to time

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Found a little buddy for the bdell in the cursed thread. :unsmith:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Car Hater posted:

And thus my heart has turned to stone, and all my desires turned to the craving for revenge against humanity

Well I got good news for you.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Net zero by 2050! We'll implement a carbon thingy plan to mitigate emissions! Of course we'll have to grant exceptions to certain critical industries (all of them) and individuals (the rich ones) so they can continue to perform essential functions (plastic party decorations)

the only net zero by 2050 is going to be sperm counts because of, again, all of the plastic

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

:yeah:

T-Paine posted:

The lack of bugs is noticeable and distressing even to someone like me, who's pretty loving far from an outdoorsman

:yeah:

can't wait to see what it's like another goddamn ten years from now :buddy:

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SplitSoul posted:

They look very surprised about their situation.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lmao gj

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Yeah, the lack of birds and bugs is very noticeable these days

A blue planet, with vast seas... :smith:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

SplitSoul posted:

who is this handsome fella?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Communist Thoughts posted:

who is this handsome fella?

Nereis sandersi.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

sitting awake at night, telling myself that the reason that there are no bugs on my windshield after an 87 hour drive is because my F250 is more aerodynamic than cars 20 years ago

I remember going to visit my grandparents growing up, which was a ~6 hour drive on the freeway, and my dad always having to get out to clean the bugs off of the windshield when we stopped for gas. I don't remember ever really having to do the same since I started driving. Sure, some of that is the aerodynamics of a minivan vs a sedan, but I don't think that that is everything

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I remember being a child as recently as the 90s and the amount of bugs that would be on the windscreen after a long trip. Nowadays be lucky to get one or two.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

humanity is winning the war on the wasps that hit your arm and sting you when you are just trying to hang your arm out the window while you're driving

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
bugs buzzed off

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lol

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

SplitSoul posted:

Nereis sandersi.

berneis sandersi

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Horizon Burning posted:

Yeah, the lack of birds and bugs is very noticeable these days

A blue planet, with vast seas... :smith:

I have to take joy where I can - rabid foxes are biting congress people in DC.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/capitol-hill-fox-killed_n_624dc856e4b007d3845e3e16

Im sad the fox had to be put down

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks for finding that quote, that’s the factoid I had in my head that was spinning me out but I was in no fit state to find it

TeenageArchipelago posted:

the only net zero by 2050 is going to be sperm counts because of, again, all of the plastic
nonsense, by 2050 we’ll definitely have reached net zero arctic ice and net zero coral. probably net zero rainforest and maybe net zero fish too

:smith:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
cant wait to need to wipe microplastics off of my windshield after a long drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Going to be funny when algae makes the Chicago River green forever