Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Splicer posted:

" Now stop talking about it Tom has robots to slut shame."

"Why are you giving this HP computer shapely legs and lingerie?"

"TO MAKE IT REALIZE HOW FAR AWAY IT IS FROM THE LIGHT OF GOD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Rand Brittain posted:

(I don't actually think free will is a coherent concept, so the dire fate that Jerrek is bemoaning here just strikes me as a really stupid fake problem.)

Yeah that's why it's Tony Time baybee!!!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I feel like this is the page where Loup starts to "die". He gets so caught up in his thoughts as Jerrick that he lets his hair down absentmindedly and starts contemplating the nature of existence.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

I feel like this is the page where Loup starts to "die". He gets so caught up in his thoughts as Jerrick that he lets his hair down absentmindedly and starts contemplating the nature of existence.

Of course! The secret to defeating Loup was to monologue into the camera! It's so simple!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

worm girl posted:

Actually I struggle very badly with anxiety and am on the spectrum, but do go on. :allears:

If you watch the retrospectives, Tom says several times that there is something going on with Tony which is meant to seem extremely bizarre and possibly unnatural, and he remains a bit cagey about it in a way that suggests there's more to it. If he was autistic or just had anxiety, the comic would not be shy about saying so. The cast is really diverse and Tom loves talking about all their different backgrounds and qualities in depth, and he's never pathologized that diversity.

Anxiety wouldn't even make sense. He can consistently and predictably laugh and joke with one stranger, but two strangers make him go all buttoned-down and quiet? He can teach a class very well and not seem to feel any discomfort, but his outward emotions turn off until everyone leaves? That's not how anxiety works, and I'm pretty sure a millennial webcomic artist would know.

I think there's a lot of people projecting their own poo poo onto this story and getting mad when it doesn't work out in a way that personally validates them. Tony's a fictional character. He gets to do bad things and get away with it. People he hurts do not deserve reparation or resolution in any ethical sense, because they're also fake. It's fair if that makes it an unsatisfying read for some people (I personally find it interesting, I would never do what Annie did, but I'm not Annie so that's fine), but I don't get the moral outrage.

lots of people are fine one-on-one with people they're intimately familiar with and increasingly uncomfortable in crowds, to the point of emotionally shutting down and disassociating and poo poo. Lots of modern-day people IRL "don't know why they are the way they are" even though therapists and WebMD canonically exist in the real world. What's been depicted reads very straightforwardly as a not-uncommon brand of social anxiety, a not-uncommon tendency to let one's own mental issues fester because if you took responsibility for dealing with them that'd mean you were responsible for your actions as well, and a not-uncommon form of coping with an abusive parent (basically just accepting they're not gonna change, take it or leave it); being handled in a narratively unsatisfactory way that leaves people wishing there was more to it despite the story neither suggesting nor in any way improved by Tony being supernaturally cursed with mundane poor coping skills.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 6, 2022

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

worm girl posted:

Here you go. Tony is a surgeon and he's speaking to a creature that's been alive since the dawn of life on earth. I think if it was a mundane problem, then between the two of them they'd be able to sort out a diagnosis beyond "man i dunno, this weird thing happens whenever there's more than exactly one person in the room with me, and for some reason Annie counts as two people."

Neither Tony nor Jones know poo poo about psychology.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

worm girl posted:

If that's where you're at, then Zimmy's situation is an overwrought metaphor for schizophrenia, and if you're being that dismissive of the comic then IDK why you'd care about it at all.

holy poo poo, what the gently caress are you talking about? a person who has real affects on the physical world around her that others are capable of seeing and interacting with, vs. a guy who gets fuckin anxious in crowds?

please, you've written some arrogant and obnoxious poo poo in this thread before, but this is actually egregious, what the gently caress.

Niavmai fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 6, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Splicer posted:

I was typing up a bunch of words but I can skip a bunch by using this as a jumping off point:

The problem is that the comic presents the people he hurt not getting reparation or resolution as good and cool. Annie stares into the camera and says "Yes he's a godawful father and every moment with him damages me emotionally but that sounds like a you problem. His biological paternity means he deserves my love, respect, and forgiveness. Now stop talking about it Tom has robots to slut shame."

Typing it out like that made me realise Tom has gotten real boomery.
Yeah this. I don't feel like I'm owed some kind of catharsis from the comic to validate my personal trauma or something, but if you're going to echo some hosed up abuse poo poo and then ultimately have a character say THIS IS FINE AND I AM FINE WITH IT LET US MOVE ON NOW, especially the protagonist, it's going to feel deeply unsatisfying, especially as an abuse survivor.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it certainly doesn't seem inaccurate to most abusive relationships I've seen lol. kinda feel like people would have less trouble parsing or accepting a narrative about a dad who lets his unwillingness to deal with his own issues drive him into behaving monstrously and a daughter who learns to live with the fact that she can't change him if the comic looked like fuckin Weedeater or something instead of a YA fantasy school story. At no prior point in the comic has Annie telling everyone everything's okay meant it's actually okay.

also if the author, uh, gave any impression he was doing anything with that idea, instead of spending the front two-thirds of the story building up to it then just kinda wandering off to do an apparently unrelated high fantasy robot v. wolf war.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2022

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it certainly doesn't seem inaccurate to most abusive relationships I've seen lol. kinda feel like people would have less trouble parsing or accepting a narrative about a dad who lets his unwillingness to deal with his own issues drive him into behaving monstrously and a daughter who learns to live with the fact that she can't change him if the comic looked like fuckin Weedeater or something instead of a YA fantasy school story

also if the author, uh, gave any impression he was doing anything with that idea, instead of just tossing it out there and going back to high fantasy robot v. wolf battles

Honestly you could even write something like Annie living with that kind of abuse effectively by not framing her as being correct and having the final say. The easiest fix I can see in doing that is reversing the order of that chapter. Start out with Annie monologuing to Jones, then have Jones talk to Tony, and then end with the concern all of her friends have about the situation. Pretty rough and off the top of my head, but the order would change the perspective that maybe her view isn't entirely healthy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

it certainly doesn't seem inaccurate to most abusive relationships I've seen lol. kinda feel like people would have less trouble parsing or accepting a narrative about a dad who lets his unwillingness to deal with his own issues drive him into behaving monstrously and a daughter who learns to live with the fact that she can't change him if the comic looked like fuckin Weedeater or something instead of a YA fantasy school story. At no prior point in the comic has Annie telling everyone everything's okay meant it's actually okay.

also if the author, uh, gave any impression he was doing anything with that idea, instead of spending the front two-thirds of the story building up to it then just kinda wandering off to do an apparently unrelated high fantasy robot v. wolf war.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2468

I just... read this whole page again. Really look at that last panel. It just obliterates the fourth wall.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Niavmai posted:

please, you've written some arrogant and obnoxious poo poo in this thread before, but this is actually egregious, what the gently caress.

It's just a webcomic. I don't think you need to flip out at me about it.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 6, 2022

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

worm girl posted:

It's just a webcomic. I don't think you need to flip out at me because I think Tony might have magical anxiety.

no i'm "flipping out" at you because you're constantly apologizing for the author and being outright insulting to the people who take issue with the things he's writing. you made a random "you must think this other character is also bad," when literally no one has ever said anything negative about the way zimmy is presented. you reach for an unrelated argument that no one has ever made, because it seems to be the only way you can make a point. putting words in our mouths, and then addressing those words that were never said. it's bullshit, fuckin stop. we have reasonable arguments and logic in this thread, and you're coming at us with dumbass tangents and accusations.

e: cool edit

Niavmai fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 6, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Splicer posted:

I just... read this whole page again. Really look at that last panel. It just obliterates the fourth wall.

Yeah. I've said this before, but while the comments aren't a good yardstick of how something is necessarily supposed to be read (god knows there's always going to be wild off-the-wall readings of everything in existence), it is a good demonstration of how things are being read by the average reader.

The comments on this page, when it came out, were wall-to-wall "You tell them, Tom! Wow, it's like she's talking directly to the reader, haha. Telling us there's absolutely nothing wrong and shame on us for judging her. Wow, get those critics, Tom!".

Whether you disagree on how it's supposed to be interpreted or not, it was absolutely perceived by a lot of people on both sides of the Tony aisle as "Annie is directly speaking to the viewer and telling them that there's nothing wrong and she's very comfortable with her position in life."

Not to mention that she's speaking to the comic's resident emotionless, impartial judge, who then goes and says "yup she's fine".

There is no framing to suggest she's wrong here. There's no dark colors, no uncomfortable expressions. It's bright, it's vibrant, she fills the entire screen, she's very self-assured.

Nothing is telling you in the text that Annie is supposed to be read as wrong. Only your own feelings that exist independent of the comic, which, if you'll look at my first paragraph, was not the case for most people.

I would also argue that if that was NOT the intent of this scene and the correct interpretation is that hard to suss out for the majority of the audience, then that's a failing of the writer and not the audience and that is legitimately worth discussing instead of dismissing offhand.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 6, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

we're all reading the same comic bro I just don't think the character's extensive establishment as unwilling to be honest with anyone, including herself, about her feelings was just random filler with no bearing on the story

like I don't even disagree that he's hosed up the delivery lol it's just not unclear what he's trying to do

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 6, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
We'll all be ashamed of our words and deeds when Red shows up in the final arc of the comic to point at each of the major cast members in turn, calling them all dunderheads and bimbos, then getting on a motorbike with Ayilu, popping a wheelie, and burning out of the comic forever.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

We'll all be ashamed of our words and deeds when Red shows up in the final arc of the comic to point at each of the major cast members in turn, calling them all dunderheads and bimbos, then getting on a motorbike with Ayilu, popping a wheelie, and burning out of the comic forever.

like the congratulations scene from evangelion, each with a unique and accurate insult.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

we're all reading the same comic bro I just don't think the character's extensive establishment as unwilling to be honest with anyone, including herself, about her feelings was just random filler with no bearing on the story

like I don't even disagree that he's hosed up the delivery lol it's just not unclear what he's trying to do

the presentation of those pages and their leadup make it look like her acceptance of Tony was meant to be some kind of apotheosis, a release from her earlier repressed behavior

which just makes it more galling really

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

worm girl posted:

Actually I struggle very badly with anxiety and am on the spectrum, but do go on. :allears:

If you watch the retrospectives, Tom says several times that there is something going on with Tony which is meant to seem extremely bizarre and possibly unnatural, and he remains a bit cagey about it in a way that suggests there's more to it. If he was autistic or just had anxiety, the comic would not be shy about saying so. The cast is really diverse and Tom loves talking about all their different backgrounds and qualities in depth, and he's never pathologized that diversity.

Anxiety wouldn't even make sense. He can consistently and predictably laugh and joke with one stranger, but two strangers make him go all buttoned-down and quiet? He can teach a class very well and not seem to feel any discomfort, but his outward emotions turn off until everyone leaves? That's not how anxiety works, and I'm pretty sure a millennial webcomic artist would know.

I think there's a lot of people projecting their own poo poo onto this story and getting mad when it doesn't work out in a way that personally validates them. Tony's a fictional character. He gets to do bad things and get away with it. People he hurts do not deserve reparation or resolution in any ethical sense, because they're also fake. It's fair if that makes it an unsatisfying read for some people (I personally find it interesting, I would never do what Annie did, but I'm not Annie so that's fine), but I don't get the moral outrage.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works for a lot of us. It's an exaggeration, and he describes it to Jones with a TON of overwrought purple prose but that's basically the gist of it.

There is absolutely nothing magical going on with Tony. He has social anxiety and, apparently, has at no point in his life ever figured that out or been exposed to people who could help him figure that out.

And really more importantly the issue here is the comic has decided that having social anxiety absolves you of all responsibility for generally being a dick to people and especially to your own child. There is absolutely nothing you can do, at any point, ever. Infantilizing as heck and unhealthy to boot.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 6, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works for a lot of us. It's an exaggeration, and he describes it to Jones with a TON of overwrought purple prose but that's basically the gist of it.

There is absolutely nothing magical going on with Tony. He has social anxiety and, apparently, has at no point in his life ever figured that out or been exposed to people who could help him figure that out.

And really more importantly the issue here is the comic has decided that having social anxiety absolves you of all responsibility for generally being a dick to people and especially to your own child. There is absolutely nothing you can do, at any point, ever. Infantilizing as heck and unhealthy to boot.

Yeah it's just such a lovely way to look at it - from BOTH sides. It's lovely for people in a situation similar to Annie cus it's saying "you can't improve the situation, you just need to learn to accept your abuser!" And it's lovely for people with social anxiety cus it's saying "you can't improve yourself, you need to hope people will accept you for who you are!"

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Tiny Myers posted:

Nothing is telling you in the text that Annie is supposed to be read as wrong. Only your own feelings that exist independent of the comic, which, if you'll look at my first paragraph, was not the case for most people.

I would also argue that if that was NOT the intent of this scene and the correct interpretation is that hard to suss out for the majority of the audience, then that's a failing of the writer and not the audience and that is legitimately worth discussing instead of dismissing offhand.

I could see the Dutch angle possibly signifying things aren't right for Annie. Also maybe the following pages where she isn't facing Jones for at lot of her speech. But then the bonus page makes it feel like all that was just stylistic choice.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2473

That chapter was tedious and a big "wtf" for me.

Also, yeah, anxiety comes in a lot of forms for different people. I know at least one person with anxiety similar to Tony's. I am in school for a "smart" field, take meds, and have had a lot of therapy. When I'm feeling awful, I often say, out loud, "Why the gently caress am I like this??" Tony's behavior isn't uncommon.

Cavatica posted:

Honestly you could even write something like Annie living with that kind of abuse effectively by not framing her as being correct and having the final say. The easiest fix I can see in doing that is reversing the order of that chapter. Start out with Annie monologuing to Jones, then have Jones talk to Tony, and then end with the concern all of her friends have about the situation. Pretty rough and off the top of my head, but the order would change the perspective that maybe her view isn't entirely healthy.

This is an interesting idea, depending on how it was done. Feel weird about it potentially undercutting Annie's feelings though.

I really wish there had been more exploration with the two Annies, instead of Annie recombining and apparently being totally mentally awesome now. I really appreciated the interaction when the Annies tried a switcheroo on Tony and when it didn't work, she was like "He tried =/" Just didn't feel as excusing to me.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

No matter your opinions on Tony, I think we can all agree that getting rid of 2annie was truly the worst decision.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I only disliked it because it robbed us of a spectacular 50-page fight scene as the two Annies battle to the death for Tony’s love.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

had the realization that this is debate between the court and loup but the court is represented by someone who has sworn to stop them and only knows what a non-shadow man explained to her off screen

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I'm glad the there is only one Annie.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Riot Bus posted:

Mods??

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Riot Bus posted:

I don't really get the point of the two Annies thing. The character had an established duality between her somewhat emotionless human self and her uncontrollable fire self already, and that was resolved organically with Ysengrin smashing her blinker stone. Court and Forest Annie split, had a single meaningful conversation, and then fused back together. Now we're following the new Annie and it's not totally clear what kind of person she has become.

Also, why did Loup duplicate her in the first place? It could have been proximal to a point about multiverse theory and determinism or something, but then it just ended.

For me that's what my issue with the last few chapters is. Things are just sort of happening without being narratively satisfying. Gunnerkrigg was always character driven and when it tries to do plot I think it's less interesting.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 7, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

worm girl posted:

Also, why did Loup duplicate her in the first place?

He did it because maybe it would be cool, and then it turned out, that it was.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
nah, that whole storyline was a pointless waste of time

they should've stayed in the underground bunker

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
he should do a Two Tonys arc

it ends with them fusing back, and now Tony can be normal around exactly two people

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

worm girl posted:

Also, why did Loup duplicate her in the first place?
To hide the fact she'd been gone for six months for a single conversation, Loup decided to arrange for Annie to simply not be gone for six months.
Why did that conversation last six months? Apparently Coyote just straight up controlled the flow of time in the forest (why?!) and Loup isn't very good at it.

Also it was a way to bring up the revelation that Annie had been "shifted"; having us think that's what Loup did to her set up the second revelation that Kat actually did that and decisively murder conclude the mystery surrounding the Tic Tocs. But that's not Loup's reason.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How was Loup able to make a second Annie if he's so unskilled at controlling his powers, anyways? He's unable to control time, but is able to create a perfect copy of someone?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CodfishCartographer posted:

How was Loup able to make a second Annie if he's so unskilled at controlling his powers, anyways? He's unable to control time, but is able to create a perfect copy of someone?

Well, he is two different beings that became one, so maybe splitting one being into two just comes naturally to him.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

worm girl posted:

For me that's what my issue with the last few chapters is. Things are just sort of happening without being narratively satisfying.

For all it's problems, I do agree and think this sort of motivationless meandering and lack of narrative oomph or agency is whats killing it the most for me. A lot of the rest people would forgive if we had a strong reason to care about what was happening and why.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

For all it's problems, I do agree and think this sort of motivationless meandering and lack of narrative oomph or agency is whats killing it the most for me. A lot of the rest people would forgive if we had a strong reason to care about what was happening and why.

I wonder how much of that is caused by reading as it comes out, vs reading it in one go.
It is currently meandering a lot, I'm going to take a break for a week or 2 and then check back. Maybe it'll read better.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If you go back and reread the last few stories in one go, they honestly feel even more aimless and unmotivated than they did at the time, I think. And I've always read it as they came out, and the old stories never felt this way so... I don't really think that has much to do with it.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

He didn't make a whole new Annie, it's just a natural consequence of Annie walking into a timestopped area but Loup unstopping her so they could talk. Saslamel's little translator guy explained it as maswastaken pointed out. It's the same trick Kat used with her bird robot to make enough of them to save Annie.

Loup is practically omnipotent, but he is not omniscient (except selectively) and he lacks the wisdom to use a light touch with his powers or consider the consequences for people affected.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

She is literally facing us, the reader, and saying "Nah it's all fine".

Tom could have framed that shot with Jones visible with Annie facing Jones. Making Jones the (literal) P.O.V. character is either Tom word of godding this at us, or Tom being an absolute dogshit tier visual storyteller.

Anyway I came here to post his for unrelated reasons that will become obvious:

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

or Tom being an absolute dogshit tier visual storyteller.

this is the thing that's been bothering me the most about some of these posts recently, so many people just outright infantilizing tom. he is a very good artist, he's not going to do something that heavy by accident. if you can look at that page and say it's anything other than an intentional endorsement of what she's saying, you're just reading an entirely different comic than i am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yeah it's just such a lovely way to look at it - from BOTH sides. It's lovely for people in a situation similar to Annie cus it's saying "you can't improve the situation, you just need to learn to accept your abuser!" And it's lovely for people with social anxiety cus it's saying "you can't improve yourself, you need to hope people will accept you for who you are!"
Even if we take absolutely everything Tony says about himself at face value and assume it is all a genuinely unchangeable aspect of his person... he still has options to start to make things right, or at least less wrong, with Annie, and Tom has not had him take any of them. At the absolute most basic level Tom could have had Tony write everything he said down to Jones in a letter and give it to Annie. Maybe with an actual "I'm sorry for everything" in there. Or, if writing a note "to" Annie causes the same lockup, have him say to Jones "Oh hey you have perfect recall, could you repeat my big woe is me ~mind cage~ speech to Annie thanks, oh and also say I'm sorry". Even when he was able to talk to Forest Annie we don't have even a single throwaway line saying "He apologised for loving my life up in literally uncountable ways and asked me to pass it on to Cannie".