Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
When Wuhan went into lockdown in Chinese new year 2020, didn't they allow one person per household to go out to the supermarket and buy food? Why didn't they do that?

Also I just want to point out that there is no "prepper" culture in China. I ate all the remaining stock of bean cans myself last year becuase my wife refused to cook any canned food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is China working on a better vaccine

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
word on the street says China are beginning to test out mRNA vaxx

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Kill All Cops posted:

Some places in Shanghai have been lockdown for like 2 weeks now I think, I took a look on the shanghai subreddit and most people estimated they had like 4-5 days worth of food remaining. Some people got government handouts, like 2 bags of veg and some spam. Seems most are reliant on their communities bulk ordering and there are some scam delivery services floating around but idk how prevalent that is. HK got thru the fifth wave pretty fast and without lockdown, all things considered. Hopefully there is an end in sight for the guys in Shanghai too.

Yeah, one of my colleagues in Changning has been locked down for awhile, but at the same time has had some better luck with getting food in.

I'm in the city center and we didn't lock down until April 1 (first day of Puxi lockdown) but we've gotten just a single bag of mostly bok choy and cucumbers, everything else we've had to get through group orders. Since I'm in a small community we weren't hitting the minimum for group orders until yesterday when we started placing orders with the community next door.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I ate all the remaining stock of bean cans myself last year becuase my wife refused to cook any canned food.

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kill All Cops posted:

word on the street says China are beginning to test out mRNA vaxx

yeah but is it sterilizing or at least partial or is it just more of the same bullshit

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"
In Wuhan at the beginning they didn't have the extensive contact tracing system they do now. Nor did they have a model for how to lockdown xiaoqu communities. One of my students in Wuhan at the time talked about how her dad would go buy groceries every few days. In Wuhan, the lockdown was very ad-hoc. Now in Shanghai you are watching the hyperlocalized lockdown model being applied all across the city. It is far more effective and sealing people into their communities. The big problem is that all the invisible labor that keeps a city working is also locked down. Even if there are lots of delivery workers, what happens when the entire city must use delivery apps? That's a massive increase in delivery orders that even if all the migrant workers who typically do delivery jobs where themselves not locked down in their communities, they wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. And that is just the point to point delivery. Who staffs the groceries? Who brings the food to the markets? The Chinese response to covid for the past two years has been one of learning how to contact trace and lockdown communities as narrowly as possible. The skill of replacing the existing logistics chains of a city many millions is not something I believe has every really been done before in history. All these problems happened in Xi'an this last winter to a lesser extent because even there the lockdowns were more local. The city was still functioning at a certain level. These exact problems are also happening in Changchun right now.

The problem we are seeing is that unsurprisingly the daily functions and logistics of a city are massive and require a huge amount of labor. These logistic chains are being sorted out of course, but when you are talking about cities of millions, any inefficiency means people are going to be wanting and in some cases starving for food. Just last week my TA who is locked down in Changchun mentioned to me casually about how the only thing she has been eating lately was moldy tomatoes. When her family got a vegetable delivery, she was so excited she sent me this photo.

It certainly feels like catastrophe. I think changes might be coming soon to zero-covid policy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/polijunkie_aus/status/1511869071616528386

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seems like China has pretty good reporting.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Kekeke! posted:

It certainly feels like catastrophe. I think changes might be coming soon to zero-covid policy.

certainly some things are already changing, like asymptomatic not immediately being hospitalized and instead transferred to isolation facilities and children not getting separated from their parents.

HK already had omicron pass thru the community and burn itself out, it's not quite living with covid levels of acceptance, but more precautions are needed esp on days where cases are high. there has been no policing of positive cases going out into the community and the system is still reliant on self reporting right now, tomorrow people are supposed to 'voluntarily' test themselves over the next 3 days.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Something that is both asymptomatic and contagious is generally something you cant just lock down

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Kill All Cops posted:

not the first example of dog killing in zero covid china, probably not the last

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1511694298932293638

i heard beating dogs to death is praxis on this forum??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

runaway pancake posted:

i heard beating dogs to death is praxis on this forum??

Playtime is over

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Despera posted:

Something that is both asymptomatic and contagious is generally something you cant just lock down

turns out you can and we’ve been doing it for two years already and it’s worked pretty well

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Playtime is over

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

yeah but is it sterilizing or at least partial or is it just more of the same bullshit

it’s the same thing. there are no sterilizing vaccines

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was there a very recent wave of nostalgia for the Burma Campaign in the UK? I noticed that more books on Kohima were published in the past 10 years than the preceding 40. Coincidence, or does it somehow relate to Myanmar being discussed so often?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

fart simpson posted:

turns out you can and we’ve been doing it for two years already and it’s worked pretty well

ah yes like the time they reported that totally believable and only 4k deaths

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

how many deaths do you think there’s been?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

fart simpson posted:

how many deaths do you think there’s been?

more than four thousand

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Was there a very recent wave of nostalgia for the Burma Campaign in the UK? I noticed that more books on Kohima were published in the past 10 years than the preceding 40. Coincidence, or does it somehow relate to Myanmar being discussed so often?

Think that was the one part left out. You can only do so much Desert Campaign analyses before it becomes lost with the crowd.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Despera posted:

yes it’s absolutely believable and?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Despera posted:

The problem with "China has been lying about how bad COVID is this entire time" is that how do you account for them admitting there's been an outbreak right now? Why not just keep lying about it?

And if the response to that is "they're admitting it now, when they weren't admitting it then, because it's too bad to hide this time", then how could they have been hiding thousands more deaths throughout 2020/2021 if this was the only time when its gotten bad enough that they can't hide it anymore?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Despera posted:

more than four thousand

cool, but the lockdowns have obviously worked pretty well for managing the virus. you can’t deny that.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The problem with "China has been lying about how bad COVID is this entire time" is that how do you account for them admitting there's been an outbreak right now? Why not just keep lying about it?

And if the response to that is "they're admitting it now, when they weren't admitting it then, because it's too bad to hide this time", then how could they have been hiding thousands more deaths throughout 2020/2021 if this was the only time when its gotten bad enough that they can't hide it anymore?

Yeah im going to pass on the believability

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/china-reports-first-covid-deaths-over-year-2022-03-19/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

Think that was the one part left out. You can only do so much Desert Campaign analyses before it becomes lost with the crowd.

That’s a very, very good point.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

who cares what you think. you’re a miserable idiot

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lostconfused posted:

I get all of my useful Ukraine related news from CGTN. The official Chinese government position is actually far more pro-Ukrainian than most ordinary Chinese, who quite reasonably assume the US and NATO to be at fault in every conflict no matter what, so it's kind of amusing to see random twitter comedians claim that the Chinese media is somehow pro-Russian because it's not 24/7 breathless incantations of the Ghost of Kiev or pictures of that one Ukrainian MP's bare feet.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

fart simpson posted:

who cares what you think. you’re a miserable idiot

ad hominin so quick? good luck in your dystopia though but dont expect many people to believe that out of 1.4billion none died of covid in a year

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Despera posted:

lol china breaking minds ftw

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Probably. Events that bring a certain country into the news tend to have a knock-on effect getting people interested in histories and WW2 history is as popular as it comes.

My grandad fought in the early part of campaign (he was artillery too, as it so happens). It didn't sound like a lot of fun.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Despera posted:

ad hominin so quick? good luck in your dystopia though but dont expect many people to believe that out of 1.4billion none died of covid in a year

lmao we’re not d&d you barely literate bastard

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

it’s the same thing. there are no sterilizing vaccines

very close does though, like for measles or especially hpv. the covid jawns we have now aren’t even shown to limit transmission cause they didn’t track for asymptomatic infections in the initial trials. a measure of prophylaxis would be gangbusters

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao we’re not d&d you barely literate bastard

no brains to be found here

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Americans are so used to propoganda that they interpret "neutral" media as biased

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Despera posted:

no brains to be found here

did d&d finally give you the boot for being obsessive weirdo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Despera posted:

that’s not an ad hom that’s an insult. they’re different things

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did d&d finally give you the boot for being obsessive weirdo

nobody want to debate that chinas covid deaths might be underreported? didnt think its inflame so much hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the thing about Covid zero is that if there is if you remove Covid from a place there will be no more deaths until Covid comes back