Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got mine secondhand and didn't get the stainless tamper, that should be fine then. Mine just had the plastic dose cup as tamper. Mine also didn't have the temp strip but if you cook at all then a thermapen is a luxury you should pursue if budget allows - helped me dial in my technique the first dozen times I used the steam method. I'd definitely trust it over a color change strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Double posting - I have an opportunity to invest in a really good coffee company - they import + roast, and now they're opening a cafe in a good location. Does anyone have direct experience in cafe finances? I'm able to find some "industry standard" comparisons for some parts of the projected income statement + visits / day + $/visitor but not others.

I'll get an attorney to look at the actual paperwork, and I'm sure the numbers are a bit optimistic but I'd like a sniff test from someone on da inside. X-posting in the industry workers thread.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

BrianBoitano posted:

I got mine secondhand and didn't get the stainless tamper, that should be fine then. Mine just had the plastic dose cup as tamper. Mine also didn't have the temp strip but if you cook at all then a thermapen is a luxury you should pursue if budget allows - helped me dial in my technique the first dozen times I used the steam method. I'd definitely trust it over a color change strip.

Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered the Pro 2. I'll have a few days next week to mess around with it and get it dialed in. Thermapen is on our kitchen wish list as well. Next gift giving excuse, I'm sure it will turn up.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
On the way to its new forever home:

Me drinking coffee from the superautomatic at work tomorrow:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I pulled a couple shots already with some medium light roast Peruvian beans I had in my freezer that I never really loved. Ground at a 6 on my Lido E. 18 grams in the basket, 36 grams out in about 18 seconds.

Very sour and a little bitter. Tried again this morning, ground at a 5, and went all the way to 50 grams. Still sour, but a little better with a little astringency.

I ordered stuff to cobble together a pressure testing arrangement, a VST basket, backflush disk, Cafiza, and a cheap tamper so I don’t have to use my jar of Goya sauce.

I am now out of lovely beans so I’ll pick up a bag of decent stuff tonight.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

i own every Bionicle posted:

I pulled a couple shots already with some medium light roast Peruvian beans I had in my freezer that I never really loved. Ground at a 6 on my Lido E. 18 grams in the basket, 36 grams out in about 18 seconds.

Very sour and a little bitter. Tried again this morning, ground at a 5, and went all the way to 50 grams. Still sour, but a little better with a little astringency.

I ordered stuff to cobble together a pressure testing arrangement, a VST basket, backflush disk, Cafiza, and a cheap tamper so I don’t have to use my jar of Goya sauce.

I am now out of lovely beans so I’ll pick up a bag of decent stuff tonight.

One thing you should research is temp surfing on the Gaggia. Grind size 6 definitely seems to coarse since it’s done in 18 seconds. But if you’re still getting sour and bitter notes, it might be because you ground too fine/tamped too hard And/or the water wasn’t hot enough. Not sure how long you took for 50g out but that’s going to lead to overextraction with only 18g in.

Pull a blank shot for a few seconds and wipe the group head down prior to loading up your portafilter. I’m not much more help than that because my Gaggia had the PID.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

nwin posted:

One thing you should research is temp surfing on the Gaggia. Grind size 6 definitely seems to coarse since it’s done in 18 seconds. But if you’re still getting sour and bitter notes, it might be because you ground too fine/tamped too hard And/or the water wasn’t hot enough. Not sure how long you took for 50g out but that’s going to lead to overextraction with only 18g in.

Pull a blank shot for a few seconds and wipe the group head down prior to loading up your portafilter. I’m not much more help than that because my Gaggia had the PID.

I will definitely do that, thanks. The 50 gram shot took like 28 seconds. I knew the first shot was under extracted and wanted to go full the other way to see both ends of the spectrum, but again, I’m not in love with these beans anyway so I didn’t have high hopes.

And I will likely add a PID later as well. Did you use a specific kit?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

i own every Bionicle posted:

I will definitely do that, thanks. The 50 gram shot took like 28 seconds. I knew the first shot was under extracted and wanted to go full the other way to see both ends of the spectrum, but again, I’m not in love with these beans anyway so I didn’t have high hopes.

And I will likely add a PID later as well. Did you use a specific kit?

That’s still really fast…you usually wanted 25-40 seconds to get a 1:2 ratio (18g in, 36g out).

It could be old beans…as beans age they need to be ground finer for better extraction. It could also be the grinder-I’m not familiar with the Lido but I’d imagine it’s capable of espresso.

I bought the Gaggia with a PID already installed, but it was from shades of coffee.

If you’re in the US, Auber is the better bet because shades of coffee shipping is super expensive to the states. I’ve read to not bother with preinfusion options on these because most of the time it just messes up your puck prep and creates channeling.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Had the Sage / Breville Precision Brewer in my basket for a couple days now, trying to convince myself it's the right choice as it's a big hunk of change.

I used to love making v60 pourover for the two of us, but the arrival of a newborn has made that harder, plus am more in need of caffeine than ever working from home. The idea of pressing a button and getting a big honking carafe of filter coffee sounds amazing for working at home.

Any regrets from purchasers?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

*son moves step stool over to coffee cart*
Wife: is there anything dangerous on there?
:thunk: don't think so
*son immediately finds the WDT*

They always keep you on your toes!

Bruxism posted:

Thanks again. I went ahead and ordered the Pro 2. I'll have a few days next week to mess around with it and get it dialed in. Thermapen is on our kitchen wish list as well. Next gift giving excuse, I'm sure it will turn up.

To help you get started without the thermapen: I just dialed in another light roast, and checked temp more closely this time. You really have to get the basket steamed a couple times. My kettle has a keep warm setting so it will come up to boil, wait a minute, boil / steam some more, repeat. By the time I've ground and done puck prep it's steamed 3 times, I force it once more and make sure the water is immediately off the boil and I hit 200°F.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Slimchandi posted:

Had the Sage / Breville Precision Brewer in my basket for a couple days now, trying to convince myself it's the right choice as it's a big hunk of change.

I used to love making v60 pourover for the two of us, but the arrival of a newborn has made that harder, plus am more in need of caffeine than ever working from home. The idea of pressing a button and getting a big honking carafe of filter coffee sounds amazing for working at home.

Any regrets from purchasers?

Just switched from Aeropress to one of these, also because of children and working from home, and I have no regrets! I found the presets a bit meh so dial in your own settings if your initial few pots don't land for you.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Will preground beans be okay in a freezer or something overnight? I want to prep a cup's worth for when I wake up before other people and don't want to run the grinder (it's a loud rear end grinder)

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017

ChickenWing posted:

Will preground beans be okay in a freezer or something overnight? I want to prep a cup's worth for when I wake up before other people and don't want to run the grinder (it's a loud rear end grinder)

No, you would be better off farting into a jar.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

ChickenWing posted:

I can't imagine there would be any (serious) negative impact, at least compared to pre-ground storebought coffee. If it tastes fine to you then it's probably OK. I would recommend making sure it's properly sealed/airtight though, you probably dont want other flavours in the freezer affecting the coffee

Freshly ground is always going to be best of course, but if you give it a try and it works for you then why not.

Alternatively if you've got a large styrofoam or something similar container lying around, you could place it over the top of the grinder to try to contain the sound but that might be a bit much

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ChickenWing posted:

I don’t think you’ll notice the difference between freezing ground beans overnight or just grinding the night before and leaving them in the coffee machine ready to go in the morning.

I mean, maybe do a blind taste test once for kicks but my palate isn’t nearly refined enough to tell the difference.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

VeganEverestDeath posted:

No, you would be better off farting into a jar.

I tried that but I couldn't get the poop taste out of the coffee.

nwin posted:

I don’t think you’ll notice the difference between freezing ground beans overnight or just grinding the night before and leaving them in the coffee machine ready to go in the morning.

I mean, maybe do a blind taste test once for kicks but my palate isn’t nearly refined enough to tell the difference.

alas

ah well my beans probably aren't going to be good enough for me to notice a difference regardless

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I think I am going to buy a fully automatic machine. Does anyone here know anything about those? The OP has pretty much nothing to say about this class of machine.

I have no intentions of being a coffee connoisseur. I'm not trying to be the next James Hoffman. I just want a machine I can press a button, and then a cappuccino comes out into a cup.

Also, I want it to be well built, and easy to clean. I also want the UI of the device to be good. I prefer hard buttons and switches that are satisfying to use, over those crappy touch buttons that you have to swipe with your finger to use.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

School of How posted:

I think I am going to buy a fully automatic machine. Does anyone here know anything about those? The OP has pretty much nothing to say about this class of machine.

I have no intentions of being a coffee connoisseur. I'm not trying to be the next James Hoffman. I just want a machine I can press a button, and then a cappuccino comes out into a cup.

Also, I want it to be well built, and easy to clean. I also want the UI of the device to be good. I prefer hard buttons and switches that are satisfying to use, over those crappy touch buttons that you have to swipe with your finger to use.

super automatic espresso machines was literally hoffmann's most recent review video

expect to pay like a thousand dollars or so, bottom-end, for a good one, with the option to pay ten times that much if you really want

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

School of How posted:

here’s hoffman’s relevant video

https://youtu.be/iZEM1cC86t8

the last time someone asked for a superauto in the thread, bizwank, who services the things, suggested the delonghi esam5500 (i think) was his choice for bang-for-buck. it’s an older model which isn’t included in james’s lineup, but looks like it’s still available online, possibly as refurbished.

e: this video is also worth watching if you’re in this market

https://youtu.be/J6yWOyNq0uw

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 3, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Hoffman's videos on the topic are fairly on point though most people who buy a super-auto won't have his taste buds/expectations; in the US you want to stick with either Delonghi or Philps/Saeco as they're both well built machines and parts/service are readily available and affordable. I'd avoid Jura as well as any other random brand you see on Amazon or at a kitchen appliance showroom unless you plan to just throw it away and buy a new one when something goes wrong. Gaggia is basically Saeco sold under a different name/design (identical internals), but with far worse pre/post-sale support so there really isn't any reason to buy one unless you care more about the ascetics of the machine then anything else.

The Delonghi ESAM3300 is the entry-level model I've mentioned previously, and I believe the ECAM22110 is the equivalent in the new lineup; you'll get pretty much the same shot out of either model. Within either of those product lines the internals that go into producing the coffee are identical so the higher-end models don't produce a better shot, they just have more bells and whistles. All of that applies to Philips/Saeco as well though they gently caress around with their designs/product names a lot more frequently so there isn't a tried-and-true entry level workhorse that I can easily point to (that you can still buy new anyway). A machine from either of these brands should go 5-10 years between needing any kind of service/repair, assuming you're keeping it clean and descaled and not loving with it in ways you aren't supposed to. Entry-point for this space was around $550-$600 (USD) pre-pandemic but now it's more like $700-$800 for the same models; demand went way up when everybody started working from home. Check the manufacturer's websites for sales/coupons.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I’ve worked at two different offices where we had the ESAM 3300 and made hundreds of cups of coffee with them. It has a good interface, physical buttons, and is very easy to use. However, there are a bunch of nooks and crannies in it that are a pain to clean. The buttons also wiggle around and feel a little cheap. But, it makes good coffee, and neither of them have ever missed a beat making a ton of coffee for 10-30 people in each office for years on end. It’s probably a lot easier to clean if you do it regularly and only a couple people are using it instead of only me bothering to clean it in an office environment.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I wanna start my own business so I can justify buying a 10k super auto.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My mediocre old burr grinder burned out a year or so ago and I've been using my manual travel grinder ever since. I've finally given up on fixing the broken grinder so I'm in the market for a new powered one.

Is there such a thing as a quiet grinder? The only ones I've ever used are super loud which isn't my favorite thing first thing in the morning.

Any recommendations? I do pour over exclusively 'cause I'm cheap.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

My mediocre old burr grinder burned out a year or so ago and I've been using my manual travel grinder ever since. I've finally given up on fixing the broken grinder so I'm in the market for a new powered one.

Is there such a thing as a quiet grinder? The only ones I've ever used are super loud which isn't my favorite thing first thing in the morning.

Any recommendations? I do pour over exclusively 'cause I'm cheap.

The baratza grinders are all kinda loud. The Fellow Ode is one of the quieter ones. Eureka makes makes the mignon silenzio which has rubber damping to make it quieter and it’s pretty loving quiet for a grinder-quietest machine I’ve had.

I tried the fellow for a while. One nice feature is the auto-off. So you just pour your beans in and it knows when to stop grinding. One less thing to deal with in the morning.

My niche zero isn’t loud… quieter than the fellow, louder than the silenzio, but it’s $700.

The loudest burr grinder I ever had was my first one: a cuisinart. Holy poo poo that thing tore my ear drums apart.

If you’re trying to keep it cheap and you just do pour over-I’d grab a 1zpresso hand grinder. Any of their models should be fine for you. That’s going to be the quietest.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
the lagom p64 is unbelievably quiet, to the point that if i step out of the room while the hopper’s empty, i can’t tell if it’s running or not, but it’s not anyone’s idea of cheap

lagom mini might be an option, priced within striking distance of the ode, but i haven’t seen reviews and can’t vouch for it. it’s a conical burr set rather than the ode’s flat burrs, so hopefully the extra money is going into build quality. the niche is supposed to be reasonably quiet as well although it’s more $$ than the ode or lagom mini

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are all more than I was hoping to spend but I might cave and get one of the least expensive options.

A cuisinart is what I'm replacing and yeah, it was deafening.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are all more than I was hoping to spend but I might cave and get one of the least expensive options.

A cuisinart is what I'm replacing and yeah, it was deafening.

Pourover or espresso?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Mu Zeta posted:

Check out 1zpresso. They have a travel grinder for just a bit above your budget.

I'm late but which of these is recommended? Here is what the distributor in my region has:

https://ecafe.es/tienda/105-molinos-manuales

If I want to do espresso sometimes and have something a bit smaller then the J Max? They have too many models and it is confusing :mad:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anybody have experience unclogging their Flair Neo? I was grinding a bit too fine and there are a lot of tiny particles in the filter that are a huge pain to get out. Just wondering if there's an easier way than trying to clean each hole with a toothpick or something.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Postman posted:

Anybody have experience unclogging their Flair Neo? I was grinding a bit too fine and there are a lot of tiny particles in the filter that are a huge pain to get out. Just wondering if there's an easier way than trying to clean each hole with a toothpick or something.

Maybe an espresso brush or acupuncture needles?

Espresso brush would just be a rigid toothbrush looking thing.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

The Postman posted:

do you mean the holes of your portafilter basket are clogged? i’ve never had that specific thing happen, but a soak in cafiza or puly caff is an excellent general-purpose way to get your portafilter sparkling

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Thanks, BB, for finding my fellow dorks.

Hi, Fiends! I’ve got a trouble shooting question on a fairly specialized piece of equipment and I can see that I’m right at home here. Quick background on me: 21 year vet of F&B with a great many hats, but I’ve run programs from a neighborhood ice cream shop to fine dining (inc. fixing their janky rear end relationship with their two group automatic), so I’m capable of doing things up to and including rewiring the beast if need be.

So my partner brought back a beautiful single boiler manual La Pavoni from her years in Italy, and once I got it up on a phase inverter it was humming along and pulling nicely. The issue is that it won’t turn back on after I did a dumb (left it on running errands and it probably boiled everything in the tank).

Known Issues-

- Don’t know the model number. It’s not on any part of the machine that I can find.

-We are in Kentucky, with its aggressively limestone water, and I’ve heard the machine can trip if it gets too scaled.

So…resources and suggestions solicited.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You probably burnt out the heating element.
If you're lucky it had a thermostat installed that blew out before the element did.
Some are resettable some are one time use only

A resettable one would look like this

If the red part is popped out push it back In and try to power it up.

I've bought replacement heating elements for our vintage La Cimbali from here before:
https://www.espressoparts.com/produ...FhoCqWIQAvD_BwE

They have an 800 number you could call and maybe speak to one of their techs regarding what heating element you would need if it turns out it's blown out.

Good luck we're all counting on you

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I broke my French press! It was just a cheap acrylic thing that I got as a present so I’m not super torn up about it, but this does give me the opportunity - I was pretty much using the James Hoffman method that’s supposedly closer to pour over coffee. Should I get an aeropress or go for another French press? I do sometimes brew more than one cup at a time so I’m a bit worried about the size of the aeropress, but if it’s closer to a pour over I’d go for it regardless? Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Get a bripe like an adult

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
What's the next step in grinders coming from a Hario mini mill? It's just too inconsistent. I was set on a Baratza Encore or Wilfa Svart but I don't know if that's overkill considering I only use a Clever dripper and, ocassionally, a French press.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Argona posted:

I broke my French press! It was just a cheap acrylic thing that I got as a present so I’m not super torn up about it, but this does give me the opportunity - I was pretty much using the James Hoffman method that’s supposedly closer to pour over coffee. Should I get an aeropress or go for another French press? I do sometimes brew more than one cup at a time so I’m a bit worried about the size of the aeropress, but if it’s closer to a pour over I’d go for it regardless? Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

Both options are cheap and good and the cups they make won't be hugely different but may be different enough to taste side-by-side. I have a lot of dumb coffee gear and I still use these two more than anything else.

The Hoffman french press method is specifically a cupping approach, as it literally replicates the way the standardized cupping protocol works, and it's full immersion. Aeropress will be a little bit closer to pourover because there is actually a percolation final step, but is still kinda it's own thing. Aeropress will be faster and have a little more clarity because it'll go through a paper filter, while french press will likely have a little more body and is easier to scale up to multiple cups.

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 6, 2022

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

seravid posted:

What's the next step in grinders coming from a Hario mini mill? It's just too inconsistent. I was set on a Baratza Encore or Wilfa Svart but I don't know if that's overkill considering I only use a Clever dripper and, ocassionally, a French press.

You don't need to go electric for that. Get the 1Zpresso JX. It'll end up being the last grinder you'll need for anything non-espresso. It grinds much faster than a Mini Mill. And if you've got doubts, get it from Amazon for easy return.
https://www.amazon.com/1Zpresso-Manual-Coffee-Grinder-Light/dp/B07VNQYJDG

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

.Z. posted:

You don't need to go electric for that. Get the 1Zpresso JX. It'll end up being the last grinder you'll need for anything non-espresso. It grinds much faster than a Mini Mill. And if you've got doubts, get it from Amazon for easy return.
https://www.amazon.com/1Zpresso-Manual-Coffee-Grinder-Light/dp/B07VNQYJDG

Looks great! 20-something seconds to grind 20 grams? Goddamn, the Hario takes four times as long.

The JX costs almost as much as the grinders I've mentioned, though. I suppose a high-end manual grinder should be better than an entry-level electric in most regards. Definitely wins in the maintenance and noise department, which I do appreciate, and I had the Mini mill for years so clearly I don't mind the work (Hario :argh:)

seravid fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Yeah, if you don't mind manual, I'd just get your choice of 1z. Maybe kingrinder if one of their models fits your wants and needs, although I can't testify to their quality since I don't own one. In addition to what you've mentioned, it takes way less space either stored or on the counter, which is one of the big reasons I went manual.

This was replacing an encore, and the consistency is absolutely better