Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

absolutely in love with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah truly amazing wow

They're lovely minimalist pieces that I think are great.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Magali Villeneuve is my favourite of the modern artists so I'll pick up hers even though I only really like the deaths shadow (and the forest I guess?).

Concord crossroad reprint is good. My guess is it slated for a mythic reprint in a premium set (like double masters 2) soon.

I like Atraxa and Breya and I don't think as singles they will be less than half the const if the SL so I may also get that one even though paying 50 for 3 pieces of cardboard is dumb.

Rest is a pass, saying that as someone who has picked up quite a few SLs these are pretty weak.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The question is if those checks are true watercolor or digital- I would put them in my cube

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lone Goat posted:

If you don't want one then don't buy one, not seeing the problem here.

what's this have to do with anything.. don't really need your say in complaining about wotc's continued bad practice. but you're right, feel free to buy them no one's stopping you.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Strong Sauce posted:

what's this have to do with anything.. don't really need your say in complaining about wotc's continued bad practice. but you're right, feel free to buy them no one's stopping you.

The bad practice of... selling Magic the Gathering cards? Buddy I've got news for you, they've been doing that for nearly 30 years.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wish those arts were in good lands u_u

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

Its hard to get outraged when its all dumb alt art bullshit for cards that dont matter. You can get a copy of sunpetal grove for 4 bucks. Buy it if you want, ignore it if you dont, but getting mad about it at this point is dumb.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Why is their website so bad these images are tiny. Stupid.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its hard to get outraged when its all dumb alt art bullshit for cards that dont matter. You can get a copy of sunpetal grove for 4 bucks. Buy it if you want, ignore it if you dont, but getting mad about it at this point is dumb.

basically my complaint is this:

Sickening posted:

I think secret lair is a great idea and something they should have done a decade ago. I also think its got "gently caress you" pricing. In paper, generally the "gently caress you" pricing had to do with secondary market for the most part. Getting "gently caress you" pricing direct from WOTC is just a trend that sows ill will.

it's just real obvious this time.. just seems really lazy and see-through. yes, "hurr, where have you been this is wotc", and all that but drat you can't even give us 4 non basic cards for a set now

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why is their website so bad these images are tiny. Stupid.

if you click into a set's page, and scroll all the way down you can see the cards in the standard size. you get a bigger card if you click on it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I haven't been following the plot super carefully, but isn't the existence of OG phyrexians on another plane huge? Like I thought they were wiped out across the multiverse, before coming back and being quarantined to New Phyrexia, and the fact that the praetors found out how to get off their prison plane was big news. But if there's just enclaves of OG phyrexians that have been evolving at their accelerated pace for decades all over the place that seems pretty big

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

A Moose posted:

I haven't been following the plot super carefully, but isn't the existence of OG phyrexians on another plane huge? Like I thought they were wiped out across the multiverse, before coming back and being quarantined to New Phyrexia, and the fact that the praetors found out how to get off their prison plane was big news. But if there's just enclaves of OG phyrexians that have been evolving at their accelerated pace for decades all over the place that seems pretty big

there's some weird poo poo in the story that alludes to the possibility that elpseth is several decades, if not centuries, out of time. Honestly they left a lot of questions and plot unanswered

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I hope there is some sort of OG phyrexian story link between the brother's war and modern day dominaria United. Apparently its part of a 30th anniversary celebration so what better than bring back the best villains.

Disclaimer - I haven't read any of the Capenna story.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Feeling dumb for buying 2x foil drowned caracombs just last month :(

Those lands are pretty!!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've been in the market for a Concordant Crossroads but had a feeling in my gut it was way overdue for a reprint. I'm glad I was right, so now I'm gonna get it for cheaper than I would have for a worn out old one, in foil, with other cards I don't care about and will probably sell off. I'm fine with it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It was overdue when the Ghave deck didn't have a copy, much less now.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Apparently I’m a huge moron who doesn’t know what’s in his own collection, because I can’t find my copy of Concordant Crossroads. I would’ve sworn up and down that I had one.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

A Moose posted:

afaik all of the Phyrexians we've seen in the recent planes have been ferried there by tezz using the planar bridge

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

LibrarianCroaker posted:

afaik all of the Phyrexians we've seen in the recent planes have been ferried there by tezz using the planar bridge

But Elspeth's background is that she was tortured by Phyrexians on the New Capena Plane when she was a girl, who were descended from a group of OG phyrexians who invaded a few hundred years earlier and apparently have just been hanging out someplace ever since.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
According to Elspeth's backstory she has tortured by og phyrexians who were insane. Capenna was some sort of asylum for insane phyrexians whose treatment included torturing people.

If you wanted to know what any of that means too bad. This is a story or Elspeth showing up in new capenna, there's no phyrexians, and the answer is "angels did it"
Why the old demon vampire has no memory before capenna? Not part of the story.
What Halo does to phyrexians to make it with it at all? Not part of the story.
Why Xander was unable to read his own archives to read what happened? Not a part of the story
Are there still phyrexians on the plane? Not part of the story.
Why does Halo, something we've only seen as a good healing spell, rule the plane? Not part of the story.
How come some people can live outside the city which is actually a ruined part of the city? Not part of the story?
The riviteers? How the adversary was able to infiltrate all five families so easy? Why does new capenna look like it IS a phyrexian city?
You guessed it!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

They also are reprinting Goblin Settler for the first time in 20 years. https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/724662/just-some-totally-normal-guys

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's pretty obvious that Elspeth is being mind controlled by one of the praetors, assumedly elesh norn. either that or she's tezzeret's tulpa

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

They also are reprinting Goblin Settler for the first time in 20 years. https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/724662/just-some-totally-normal-guys

lol this owns

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

HootTheOwl posted:

According to Elspeth's backstory she has tortured by og phyrexians who were insane. Capenna was some sort of asylum for insane phyrexians whose treatment included torturing people.

If you wanted to know what any of that means too bad. This is a story or Elspeth showing up in new capenna, there's no phyrexians, and the answer is "angels did it"
Why the old demon vampire has no memory before capenna? Not part of the story.
What Halo does to phyrexians to make it with it at all? Not part of the story.
Why Xander was unable to read his own archives to read what happened? Not a part of the story
Are there still phyrexians on the plane? Not part of the story.
Why does Halo, something we've only seen as a good healing spell, rule the plane? Not part of the story.
How come some people can live outside the city which is actually a ruined part of the city? Not part of the story?
The riviteers? How the adversary was able to infiltrate all five families so easy? Why does new capenna look like it IS a phyrexian city?
You guessed it!

The last chapter does say that the ancient demons managed to destroy the phyrexians by allying with and then betraying the angels, turning them into magic heroin for a power boost but it's not really conclusive why that worked, or why those demons then disappeared once the war was over, or why there's now a new angel out of nowhere just in time to start producing halo as everyone is about to run out. The most interesting part of the whole thing isn't even Urabrask, who does basically nothing of note - it's the fact that Tezzeret is being slowly corrupted every time he planar bridges a phyrexian somewhere, and that he's not just transporting praetors but also soldiers (which to me suggest sleeper agents). Isn't Tezzeret supposed to be immune to phyresis and compleation?

Very much a "monster of the week" set that suffers from being shoehorned into the larger story. Also the aesthetic driven design didn't do them any favors I think.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is the story really over or do they put out more? I never follow the story, but the plot beats on this one sounded cool. Kind of a bizarre choice to tell the complete story they're going to tell of this place before we see cards of nearly any of the characters. Hard to bridge the gap between Vorthoses and the rest of the player types when there's nothing to connect.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Isn't Tezzeret supposed to be immune to phyresis and compleation?

Yeah, but they can hand wave it by saying the Serum was powered by Bolas' magic and lost efficacy when he was desparked again. Maybe Tezz will realize it right before it finishes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I bought the book for the War of the Spark, where they introduced a new planeswalker that I'm sure has played an important role since

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

This flavor text is the most perfect thing imaginable

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

New Capenna spoilers/official reveal in 24 minutes I think.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

New Capenna spoilers/official reveal in 24 minutes I think.

Yup. 9am Pacific the intro video starts and that will be our first real wave of spoilers, plus three articles on the mothership. (one of which is just a rehost of the video)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Shield Counters rock.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

missed the card with the shield counter

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 7, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/Card_Kingdom/status/1512098796670439425

Most of the ones revealed on stream are out of the commander precons so far, hard to keep track of

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Seems cool in CEDH. Pact for Oracle, then pact again.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Blitz seems really cool as well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

These new mechanics seem pretty cool

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003