Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

But I can add one more!! :v:

I don't think it makes a difference. Fractal fans not only have more area, but they are thicker too. Two of their 180s will almost certainly be better than three NF-A14s.

Either way, with the torrent you're paying for the fans, and you should use them. If you want to load a case up with noctua fans, then you should just get a Corsair 5000D instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah I even looked at Antec out of morbid curiosity after having a P182 two PCs ago. Corsair are still making the 600T with the proprietary thin 200mm fans and mandatory white LEDs that I somehow slept across from for over five years.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks to everyone here I've knocked almost a grand off this build, albeit I'll need a new GPU when I finally retire my ancient HP ZR24w's for 4K120Hz:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($479.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($349.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($202.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 (w/Heatsink) 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($384.00 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG 8100 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($529.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1089.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case ($244.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($254.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-212DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ PC-Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit ($160.50 @ Vuugo)
Custom: Vantec NexStar DX, USB 3.0 external Enclosure for SATA Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Drive Components Other NST-536S3-BK all black ($59.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $3971.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-06 19:50 EDT-0400

My last concern is that WD SSD: can I safely get the heatsink version for the flat slot on the mobo, or should I get the naked one and use the (probably shittier) spreader that comes with the board to ensure it won't clip the GPU? That EVGA is a goddamn monster.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 7, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah I even looked at Antec out of morbid curiosity after having a P182 two PCs ago. Corsair are still making the 600T with the proprietary thin 200mm fans and mandatory white LEDs that I somehow slept across from for over five years.

The P182 was a pretty good case for its time. I had one with nexus fans etc for 12 years, that case started with a C2D E6600 and ended with a Ryzen 3700X :v:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm about to pick a new PC because mine is years old, so I'll build one from scratch. I came up with this list, which I think is fairly standard:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($269.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon) (I'm not hell bent on that model, I'll pick whichever model with B660 chipset works for me)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($122.99 @ Newegg) (also don't care, all I want is 32 GB)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.87 @ B&H)
Total: $1042.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-07 03:40 EDT-0400

I'm not sure if I must go with Intel or not though. I'm mostly doing PC gaming (but I don't care about getting super ultra high graphics @ 200 FPS ; I want a configuration that'll still be able to run most games in medium settings 5 years from now), some video/audio encoding (but not a lot, just a few hours a month) and come programming. As for the GPU, I think I'll go for a RTX 3070 if I can find one, and maybe a 3080 if it fits the budget.

Is there anything in there that looks stupid? The SSDs are one for the OS (1 TB is a bit large but I like to have room) and one for the games. For slower storage I'll just slap à 3 or 4 TB on top.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My main question would be why buy a Samsung drive and a double size WD drive for almost the same price instead of just getting 2 SN550s?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I don't know, I was under the impression that the Samsung Pro perform better/are more reliable but I could totally be wrong.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I put an aio cooler in my most recent build, and the computer freaked out when I booted it up and gave me a warning about a cpu fan speed mismatch or the like. It was connected to an aio pump header on the motherboard at the time.

I reconnected it to a cpu fan header instead and the error went away, but I’m curious why I got that error in the first place. Is that header for a different kind of pump?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Furism posted:

I don't know, I was under the impression that the Samsung Pro perform better/are more reliable but I could totally be wrong.

It is a better drive but in ways that would almost certainly be intangible and unnecessary for your use case. Having a separate OS drive is a relic of the past and unnecessary. The differences in speed between PCIe 3 and 4 drives, like the two you have in your build, are negligible/non-existent for general use, which means booting into the OS, general desktop use, and installing/loading games. You would only see any benefit from the faster drive if you're regularly moving huge 100GB+ files around. In theory, the additional speed of PCIe 4 drives might start to be utilised in future games, but that's not happening at the moment.

I'd say it makes more sense to save an NVMe slot and just get a 2 TB SN570 now for your OS and games, and then if/when PCIe 4 storage actually makes a difference you can get one, when it's also hopefully a bit cheaper.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Butterfly Valley posted:

It is a better drive but in ways that would almost certainly be intangible and unnecessary for your use case. Having a separate OS drive is a relic of the past and unnecessary. The differences in speed between PCIe 3 and 4 drives, like the two you have in your build, are negligible/non-existent for general use, which means booting into the OS, general desktop use, and installing/loading games. You would only see any benefit from the faster drive if you're regularly moving huge 100GB+ files around. In theory, the additional speed of PCIe 4 drives might start to be utilised in future games, but that's not happening at the moment.

I'd say it makes more sense to save an NVMe slot and just get a 2 TB SN570 now for your OS and games, and then if/when PCIe 4 storage actually makes a difference you can get one, when it's also hopefully a bit cheaper.

I hear you, and I appreciate your comment a lot and it makes sense. But I'd really like to have a full 2TB for games. I have 1 TB now, with 92 GB free left, and that's with not having everything I want installed. Same for OS, I have 256 GB and 11 GB left (ugh).

However I'll for sure do what you suggest and maybe switch the Samsung Pro for another WB Blue at PCIe 3 if the difference in speed and reliability don't really make a difference for the use I have in mind.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Welp, Noctua just delayed their entire roadmap by a quarter, again. this is like three years of delays for the next-gen NF-A14 and D15 now

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 7, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

phanteks save us, release the t30 140mm :pray:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Welp, Noctua just delayed their entire roadmap by a quarter, again. this is like three years of delays for the next-gen NF-A14 and D15 now

I'll never get my Noctua desk fan. :smith:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think I may have cobbled together a build but would like some critique if I'm making any dumb decisions.

PC parts picker doesn't have any listings for the gpu, but it's $970 on Newegg right now. I also don't need a hard drive as I have enough of those kicking around already.

I know the cpu comes with a cooler, but how is the stock cooler? The motherboard and power supply I also just kind of took a stab at, so if there's better options please let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($135.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB GAMING TRIO Video Card
Case: Antec P101 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $815.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-07 14:54 EDT-0400

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Almost Smart posted:

I put an aio cooler in my most recent build, and the computer freaked out when I booted it up and gave me a warning about a cpu fan speed mismatch or the like. It was connected to an aio pump header on the motherboard at the time.

I reconnected it to a cpu fan header instead and the error went away, but I’m curious why I got that error in the first place. Is that header for a different kind of pump?
The AIO should have a 3-pin for the pump and a 4-pin for the fan(s). Most BIOSes warn on CPU fan RPM when in theory a large enough radiator that sat outside your case would be fine on its own. You want the fans plugged into the CPU fan header and curved according to CPU temps while the AIO header will drive the pump at a constant 12V.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If you live near microcenter, Asus 3080 TUF for $849 (not a sale, new price).

https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card

This is $150 over FE MSRP and a fantastic price for this card.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I loving wish. I'm in southeastern SD. Best we got is a Best Buy and a couple local stores that are still selling 3080s for $2k+

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's actually been that price for a week now, but good luck getting one. While Micro Center seems decent about preventing people from buying multiple GPUs (most stores have a 1 GPU per customer per month policy iirc), that's a good enough price that you will have a very hard time actually finding one in stock.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress; I finally sit down to buy the parts for my build and the GPU goes out of stock at Newegg. Is Vuugo considered reliable, or should I just hope it comes back at EVGA's site / Newegg.ca tomorrow?

I can also get an ASUS TUF 3070Ti for just under $1000 CAD but obviously I'm losing out on the EVGA warranty (and apparently gain some coil buzz).

Edit:
Or... assuming iSanek isn't on PC Part Picker as some kind of cruel joke... I think I just got an EVGA 3080 10GB XC3 for $1350 CAD after tax and shipping.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 8, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Shumagorath posted:

The AIO should have a 3-pin for the pump and a 4-pin for the fan(s). Most BIOSes warn on CPU fan RPM when in theory a large enough radiator that sat outside your case would be fine on its own. You want the fans plugged into the CPU fan header and curved according to CPU temps while the AIO header will drive the pump at a constant 12V.

The one exception is Arctic's AIOs, where there's only one connector, and that definitely goes on the CPU fan header.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I was putting together an NR200 build today at my office and after mounting the Fuma2 cooler I went to get the fan clips and…they only sent me the clips for the fat fan, not the slim one.
I bought through my work’s Amazon Business account so doing a return is kind of a hassle as I have to bother an admin about it.
I don’t see any spare clips sold by Scythe in my region (Japan) or many generic ones.
I COULD try to return it but the thing is already mounted, I used the thermal paste etc.
The cooler came with extra clips for the bigger fan, maybe I could bend or cut them shorter?
Sigh. Not sure what to do.
E: found a local seller who makes their own clips for just this purpose. That makes me want to try bending my extra 25mm ones…

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 8, 2022

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
My wife needs a new computer. Looking at building a desktop but it's been so long I'm very out of touch.

What country are you in?
I am in the EU. We might as well play I'm in Germany because it's usually cheaper to ship from there than buy from local stores.
(It's usually cheaper to buy from the UK and pay shipping + 20% brexit tax than buy from the local stores. That's the country I'm in.)

What are you using the system for?
My wife uses some chunky excel files for work, the most resource intensive game she plays is probably Cities Skylines + expansions and mods. It is very unlikely we'll have time to get into new games right now, but maybe in the future.
Maybe stick with integrated graphics, but get a motherboard/PSU that could support a decent GPU in case the world suddenly unfucks itself in 2024? I'm assuming Cities Skylines/Skyrim/GTA5/Diablo III is not a challenge for modern integrated stuff?

She has now told me Intel integrated GPUs are not supported by Cities Skylines or vice versa. AMD?
If modern integrated GPUs are an exercise in sadness we'll be willing to exceed the budget and pay through the nose for some dedicated unit, even if it seems dumb to compete with that lot for something so rarely used.

What is your budget?
500-1000€ ish for building the box.
I have vintage Cooler Master Gladiator 2 ATX case (~13 years but hasn't been abused), innards are toast so might as well clean it out and reuse. If it could fit a 650W Corsair PSU then, it should fit a 750W now?
I have a new 1TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata 2.5" drive and can probably salvage the old computer's 1tb HDD for slow storage.
I have a lightly used DELL U2311Hb monitor, which I remember being very nice in 2010.
Have a Windows 10 licence on hand.
Mouse and KB we'll use stuff lying around or get new, doesn't matter.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
1920x1080 / 56-75Hz
She is coming from a 7 year old upper-mid range gaming laptop. It'd be nice to see some improvement compared to that but we've also got other places to put the money.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
Imagine four 150MB Excel files.

Something like this?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kC3Mv3
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($296.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Dell)
Case: Cooler Master Gladiator 600 ATX Mid Tower Case Approximation.
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.44 @ Amazon)
Total: $865.35

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Floppychop posted:

I think I may have cobbled together a build but would like some critique if I'm making any dumb decisions.

PC parts picker doesn't have any listings for the gpu, but it's $970 on Newegg right now. I also don't need a hard drive as I have enough of those kicking around already.

I know the cpu comes with a cooler, but how is the stock cooler? The motherboard and power supply I also just kind of took a stab at, so if there's better options please let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($135.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB GAMING TRIO Video Card
Case: Antec P101 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $815.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-07 14:54 EDT-0400

So in terms of value a 5600x and midrange mobo that's an equivalent cost to a 12600k and a budget mobo doesn't make sense, you'll get objectively better performance out of the 12600k outside of a couple niche use cases. The 5600x isn't a bad buy at around 200 but it's not something to pair with a 200$ motherboard at this point in time. You're probably overpaying a bit for the psu.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 8, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

lurker2006 posted:

So in terms of value a 5600x and midrange mobo that's an equivalent cost to a 12600k and a budget mobo doesn't make sense, you'll get objectively better performance out of the 12600k outside of a couple niche use cases. The 5600x isn't a bad buy at around 200 but it's not something to pair with a 200$ motherboard at this point in time. You're probably overpaying a bit for the psu.

Any specific mobo chipset that I should be aiming for to use with the 12600k?

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Floppychop posted:

Any specific mobo chipset that I should be aiming for to use with the 12600k?

Z690.

Edit: Or B660 if you don't intend to OC. Whatever is the better value currently, but I'd lean toward a Z690 board.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 9, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stupid question: are there heatsinks for REGULAR sized SSDs or hard drives?

I know there's some for m.2 but i'm talking about 2.5"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm sure someone makes them as a scam but I can't imagine a hard drive actually needing special cooling equipment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Well my 8TB HDD external drive has active cooling. Really freaking loud cooling.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The old WD velociraptors came with heatsinks but those were 10,000 RPM drives

and totally obsoleted by SSDs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rinkles posted:

Well my 8TB HDD external drive has active cooling. Really freaking loud cooling.

That's weird. What kind of drive is it? I have a bunch of externals and I've never seen one with a fan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That's weird. What kind of drive is it? I have a bunch of externals and I've never seen one with a fan.

WD MyBook. Also makes this annoying ticking sound.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

iSanek sent me an e-mail to say the EVGA 3080 10GB XC3 their system let me buy is in fact back-ordered. I'm seeing MSI, Zotac and Gigabyte on more reputable sites. Are there any brands / models to straight up avoid for that card?
Sorry to cross-post, but am I going to be ok if I jump on any brand that scrapes $1000 CAD from a reputable seller (Sold By Newegg minimum)?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That drive lives in a plastic coffin, which is why it has active cooling.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Stupid question: are there heatsinks for REGULAR sized SSDs or hard drives?

I know there's some for m.2 but i'm talking about 2.5"

Unless you’re putting the drive in some weird enclosed space, you wouldn’t need one. 2.5” drives can withstand reasonable temps and don’t get very hot. Most also live in pretty open air.

Is there a reason or use case you think you need this for?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

WD MyBook. Also makes this annoying ticking sound.

The tick sound is the motor or the drive head. Some are louder than others, but 3.5” drives always make that sound. Part of why it’s so loud is it’s not usually next to your face in a thin plastic box.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have all WD externals but they just have holes in the case, no cooling. I have noticed my external SSDs get pretty warm under load. Doesn't seem to matter.

No crazy rear end 10,000 RPM drives or anything though.

The tick sound is the motor or the drive head. Some are louder than others, but 3.5” drives always make that sound. Part of why it’s so loud is it’s not usually next to your face in a thin plastic box.

It's disturbing when it's too loud tho. I sent a 14 back for RMA because it sounded like someone was slamming it with a hammer and I did not trust that. The replacement does not have that issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

From what I've been told/read it's actually something called Preventive Wear Leveling, some kind of lubricating tech that's supposed increase longevity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Coincidentally, a few hours later I hear some concerning screeching from my case whilst just browsing. It gave me a scare cause I wasn't doing anything, but it turned out to just be my old HDD. iTunes was scanning my music library I keep on there (I'm trying out an Apple Music trial).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hate weird hard drive noises. I wonder how long it'll be until SSDs or some other tech get cheap enough to fully replace them.

This is my first PC where every single program is installed on an SSD, but there's nowhere near enough extra space for media so I still have spinners for that and my backup array.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the modern tech nerds general solution to that problem is to run a NAS in another room. Lett guy even runs his setup in a server rack - nothing isolates thermally or acoustically quite like a few hundred kilos of brick and plasterboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I hate weird hard drive noises. I wonder how long it'll be until SSDs or some other tech get cheap enough to fully replace them.

This is my first PC where every single program is installed on an SSD, but there's nowhere near enough extra space for media so I still have spinners for that and my backup array.

I've fully replaced HDDs in my machines with SSDs so I'd say we already passed that point.