Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thank you for the trans-splaining everyone. I'll try to use the correct terms now that I understand it better.

I really don't understand why anyone gives a gently caress what people do with or birth from their junk but I guess when you're retired and have a brain full of lead you gotta get mad at something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1511633262380265475

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Konomex posted:

All of this crap goes away if you just hit back with 'cis men can't carry babies'. Then you just stare at them.

or responsibility. or do emotional labour amiright

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1511635514671173634

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

birdstrike posted:

or responsibility. or do emotional labour amiright

It's unclear from limited context if you mean emotional labour in it's correct sense but I'm choosing to believe you are using it incorrectly so I can get mad on the internet

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Men will literally get pregant instead of going to therapy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

this is all well and good but absolutely lol if you think a lebanese bloke is getting elected in the loving shire.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Private schools should be loving banned.

I went to a private school, I loving agree.

There’s nothing my school did that a properly funded government school couldn’t have done.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bargearse posted:

There’s nothing my school did that a properly funded government school couldn’t have done.

i want to make a molestation joke but i think its too mean

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I had a wonderful time at my private school with world class sport and arts facilities.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Konomex posted:

All of this crap goes away if you just hit back with 'cis men can't carry babies'. Then you just stare at them.

nobody kn ows what cis means so the abc has some religo freak on to explain that cis is a slur

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I know about the CIS

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Animal Friend posted:

I know about the CIS

going into british parliament to explain why someone posting a gif of c-3po saying "die jedi dogs" is a hate crime

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Laserface posted:

I really don't understand why anyone gives a gently caress what people do with or birth from their junk but I guess when you're retired and have a brain full of lead you gotta get mad at something

It’s the next in the line of minorities they’re going to march out for political benefit.

Albo answers men can’t have babies to a dumb question from Daily Tele, is then headlined. News.com.au runs the headline saying check out this transphobic loser! Surely a reader with a progressive tilt would see sensationalised journalism for what it is then target Murdoch for poo poo journalism but nah.

Trans allies on Twitter are still running with Albo being a major transphobe alongside others like JK Rowling. He’ll appear on Kyle and Jackie-o and they’ll bring it up in interview, while also saying they’ll be voting Scott Morrison without asking his opinion of transgendered people.

IMO He was going to lose out if he said yes, a lot of people really believe in gender binary and see identity as a social or well-being disorder. ALP need to pull whatever minority of swing voters from LNP over, hopefully vocal trans activists still preference Labor over LNP after Greens or other.

He really needed a smarter response than yes/no.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 6, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Apologies for the New Corp link but ABC didn't have video - a disability pensioner accosted Morrison at a pub in Newcastle

https://www.news.com.au/national/po...ca597ebab0ddeae

lih posted:

Senate post

This was very interesting, thanks

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-07/australian-future-leaders-foundation-funding-launch-election/100971170

Perfectly normal for a new leadership program to appear out of nowhere, get given 18 million dollars while having three directors as their total staff, no office, to brag they've got support of the governer general and PMs office, to be given DGR charity status in a few months via a special process which usually takes several years and requires exceptional reasons, and no body can explain specifically why that was approved.

Their shtick of a leadership and mentoring program is to provide access to people in higher levels and aim to create an alumni network to increase that access, mentorship etc. Like clearly they know what they're doing with regard to access as they have gone 0-100 in months. But lol it's literally get paid to found a new old boys* club.

*not actually restricted to boys afaik

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

woofbro posted:

It’s the next in the line of minorities they’re going to march out for political benefit.

Albo answers men can’t have babies to a dumb question from Daily Tele, is then headlined. News.com.au runs the headline saying check out this transphobic loser! Surely a reader with a progressive tilt would see sensationalised journalism for what it is then target Murdoch for poo poo journalism but nah.

Trans allies on Twitter are still running with Albo being a major transphobe alongside others like JK Rowling. He’ll appear on Kyle and Jackie-o and they’ll bring it up in interview, while also saying they’ll be voting Scott Morrison without asking his opinion of transgendered people.

IMO He was going to lose out if he said yes, a lot of people really believe in gender binary and see identity as a social or well-being disorder. ALP need to pull whatever minority of swing voters from LNP over, hopefully vocal trans activists still preference Labor over LNP after Greens or other.

He really needed a smarter response than yes/no.

well this goes back to my first question - the percentage of the australian population that identify as trans. if it is around 0.5%, that is a vanishingly small part of the population, and more than likely an entirely calculated and considered response.

Trans people arent going to to be voting labor anyway, they're voting for the greens who actually give a gently caress about them or other progressive parties. labor can afford to lose 0.5% of voters to keep the other (pure guess here) 30% of people that feel incredibly passionate about making already marginalised people feel worse that might swing on this single issue.

i dont like to say that, but its probably why.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The actual political calculation should consider the broader number of people that know and like a trans person, as well as the effects of legitimising a new avenue of culture war. Any yes/no answer was always going to be a losing proposition. I think 30% of the population caring at all about this particular issue before a month ago is a vast overestimate - it wasn't an issue before people started trying to make it an issue.

is that good fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 7, 2022

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Laserface posted:

well this goes back to my first question - the percentage of the australian population that identify as trans. if it is around 0.5%, that is a vanishingly small part of the population, and more than likely an entirely calculated and considered response.

Trans people arent going to to be voting labor anyway, they're voting for the greens who actually give a gently caress about them or other progressive parties. labor can afford to lose 0.5% of voters to keep the other (pure guess here) 30% of people that feel incredibly passionate about making already marginalised people feel worse that might swing on this single issue.

Yep. And a lot of those votes to the Greens will end up flowing to the ALP. Its a calculated response. The Australian electorate is to the right of this thread.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

go_banana posted:

Yep. And a lot of those votes to the Greens will end up flowing to the ALP. Its a calculated response. The Australian electorate is to the right of this thread.

But it's a poo poo calculus because instead of protecting very vulnerable and marginalised people you now have both major parties directly saying "you'renot worth our time" to trans people. "They weren't going to vote for us anyway" isn't a reason to kick the vulnerable, it's gross.

EDIT: 'DAV QUIT THE ALP.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Allstone posted:

The actual political calculation should consider the broader number of people that know and like a trans person, as well as the effects of legitimising a new avenue of culture war. Any yes/no answer was always going to be a losing proposition. I think 30% of the population caring at all about this particular issue before a month ago is a vast overestimate - it wasn't an issue before people started trying to make it an issue.

I was mostly thinking about religious/boomers/gender=binary/I identify as an attack helicopter types, but you're right that its probably not 30%.

My point is its one of those things that could open a can of worms and potentially if the signal to noise ratio got loud enough it would start to push a larger than 0.5% (plus allies/sympathizers) away from voting labor, which in this media landscape isnt entirely unheard of (see also: franking credits in the 2019 election)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is what the Advance Australia Party is doing in Melbourne. (Photo courtesy of my dad off of Facebook.)

The Republicans did a similar thing in the US to try and scare expat Chinese from voting. Dunno how successful it will be here, but it's a loving disgusting tactic either way.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
See the clever answer would have been "well look, I don't think a question requiring a yes/no answer is appropriate in the context; as I see it, this is a non-binary issue,"

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
albo is targeting the commentors of news.com.au with any answer he gives in the press imo, not neccessarily for their vote, but just trying to avoid whipping them up into a social media frenzy

gotta do your best to not lose the meme war

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

albo is targeting the commentors of news.com.au with any answer he gives in the press imo, not neccessarily for their vote, but just trying to avoid whipping them up into a social media frenzy

gotta do your best to not lose the meme war

Yes but he’ll continue to do that in both his actions and words even in government.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Laserface posted:

Yeah for sure, a minority used as a wedge issue instead of anything else worth campaigning about.

I couldn't even tell you what this election is really about - I guess it is an economic election coming out of COVID and natural disasters.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is what the Advance Australia Party is doing in Melbourne. (Photo courtesy of my dad off of Facebook.)

The Republicans did a similar thing in the US to try and scare expat Chinese from voting. Dunno how successful it will be here, but it's a loving disgusting tactic either way.

I see they've gone from driving this around Canberra, one of the most reliably leftwing parts of the country, and taken it down to Port Melbourne which is in an electorate that's a Labor/Greens toss-up

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

There's more than one I think. There was one in WA too that I saw on the news.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Laserface posted:

The vast majority of people who put Greens 1st on their vote for ideological reasons are going to prioritise Labor over the Liberals on that same vote. I'm not aware of how it's felt internally but I strongly suspect Labor takes Greens votes for granted, and they don't feel the need to appeal to them. What are Greens voters going to do, preference the Liberals over Labor? Conversely there's a lot of weak Liberal voters pissed at this government, or at least at Morrison, who could be persuaded to put Labor above Liberal for this election.

I don't know if this weird cynical transphobic turn is part of that strategy, and if so I doubt it would be effective, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

BrigadierSensible posted:

Part of me hopes this backfires and makes more people vote Labor.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
why did the liberals give mr ping a vote if they don't want labor to win

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Booted for questioning glorious leader.

quote:

A Liberal member who challenged Scott Morrison's federal intervention in the NSW division has been expelled from the party.

Western Sydney businessman Matthew Camenzuli launched an unsuccessful court bid to overturn the decision to select ministers Sussan Ley and Alex Hawke and backbencher Trent Zimmerman as candidates for their seats at the upcoming election.

Mr Camenzuli argued party members rather than a panel comprising Mr Morrison, NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet and former party president Chris McDiven should choose candidates.

If he had won the case there was also a strong chance he would have put nine other candidate selections at risk.

It is understood the NSW Liberal director used "campaign powers" to expel Mr Camenzuli.

Mr Morrison is due to call an election within days.

It is understood the party feared further court action would have damaged its chances of winning the election.

A senior Liberal source told AAP the state executive would meet on Friday to ratify the decision, but there was no guarantee it would be upheld.

"Mr Camenzuli was standing up for members' rights," the source said.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

i forgot about this lol

https://twitter.com/Senator_CFW/status/1241322434717831170

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

lebanese australians are beautiful people

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

woofbro posted:

Yeah for sure, a minority used as a wedge issue instead of anything else worth campaigning about.

I couldn't even tell you what this election is really about - I guess it is an economic election coming out of COVID and natural disasters.

It’s about aged care, childcare and Medicare, because Labor cares.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

she whined about the term "right wing extremist" being offensive to conservatives to the chief of asio during senate estimates too. was also into blaming the country burning down on eco terrorists or something irrc. just a total facebook boomer

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
RIP albo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

woofbro posted:

I mean if they were any good at campaigns, it would be about governance - fairness, transparency, evidence-based policy vs corruption, bullying, ideological/culture war poo poo, and general mismanagement that have been the defining features of the Morrison govt since before the last election.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

nobody kn ows what cis means so the abc has some religo freak on to explain that cis is a slur

The easiest way is to turn the tables and ask them to define what a "man" is. I've seen this done a few times, and it's very effective and I'll probably not do it justice here.

Anyway, you'll probably get a response something like "Well, I think it's pretty obvious." So, you say, "Then it shouldn't be hard for you to do it then."

At this point it goes in any of a couple of different ways:

Talking about penises - then you ask, "So, if a man lost his penis he'd no longer be a man?"

Testosterone - then you ask, "So, if a man lost his testicles he'd no longer be a man?"

Chromosomes - then you ask, "How do you reconcile Klinefelter's syndrome, Turner syndrome or even Y chromosome microdeletion? One in 20,000 people assigned male at birth have no Y chromosome, yet lead normal lives.

It's not up to us to justify people just trying to live their loving lives. It's up to the bigots to try and justify their small minded hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I know second wave feminism gets a lot of blame for the worst kind of terfy poo poo but The Second Sex is great for the kind of stuff Megillah is talking about. Just really cracking open the flaws in the questions of "what is a woman" in a way that really illustrates how far away from feminism terf rhetoric is