Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stravag posted:

Oh man vnv nation is amazing. Sentinel homeworld and epicentre were my into to them

I had my first real date at a VNV Nation concert about..... 20 years ago. After getting hooked on it from a Juno Reactor cover on my dad's computer, then getting my date hooked.

I'm surprised to see so many fans ITT, they're not well known outside Germany, still.

E: Ukraine Thread: Russia's doing so bad we're taking about obscure 90's electronic band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wish I could have seen them in concert but they never came around my parts when I had money to buy tickets.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was really into Wolfsheim, VNV Nation, and Covenant in high school. Naturally nobody else I knew was so they really hated my mix CDs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ngl when I first saw their aesthetic I was like "these guys aren't nazis....right?"

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

lol

https://twitter.com/alerta_podnext/status/1511835760181358596?s=21&t=flRL__zVdht5o7SXKDwTpg

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Russia: "that's nyet safe at all!!!"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Holy poo poo lol

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stravag posted:

Oh man vnv nation is amazing. Sentinel homeworld and epicentre were my into to them

I am an old (born in 1960), so anything after 2000 is that crazy kid stuff to me.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Economist has terrible political takes and an unshakeable faith in the virtues of free markets, but it is generally reliable on checking facts before reporting them and solid on exercises in classical economics like working out MBA-style the impact of a supply disruption.

Yeah, the issue with the Economist is bias and lies of omission. Their actual reporting is solidly factual, albeit sometimes an incomplete picture of the facts.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elviscat posted:

I had my first real date at a VNV Nation concert about..... 20 years ago. After getting hooked on it from a Juno Reactor cover on my dad's computer, then getting my date hooked.

I'm surprised to see so many fans ITT, they're not well known outside Germany, still.

Disagree, they're hilariously well-known in very very specific sectors of American society; VNV has countless "everybody to the dancefloor for their Favorite Song" anthems in goth clubs across the US. I've seen them play live six times :v:

Alan Smithee posted:

ngl when I first saw their aesthetic I was like "these guys aren't nazis....right?"

I can see why you'd think so, but thankfully no. The aesthetic is derived from a wider tradition in industrial music that more or less started with Laibach's antifascist culturejamming in the Neue Slowenische Kunst, generalized into a conscious decision by antifascists to pollute or corrupt fascist cultural signifiers by appropriating them - much as a Nazi might appropriate Thor's hammer, say - and then parodying or criticizing fascism through the work in ways that Nazis would find unpalateable. Slavoj Zizek does a terrible job of explaining it here:

https://deterritorium.wordpress.com/2017/08/20/why-are-laibach-and-nsk-not-fascists-by-slavoj-zizek-1993/.

In other words, you don't just have to let Nazis steal your culture or your aesthetic preferences, you can steal it back and make it about being gay and doing crimes. Possibly against the State!

Like, you'd think Rotersand look and sound pretty fashy, but then you listen to the lyrics and it's all

Dancing on the hearts of fascists
Dancing on hot ashes

Strong Burnin' Sherman energy itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40tDkChvtGA

Elviscat posted:

Ukraine Thread: Russia's doing so bad we're taking about obscure 90's electronic band.
QFT

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 7, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The 12 foot page that bypasses the paywall doesn't work on The Economist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bored As gently caress posted:

The 12 foot page that bypasses the paywall doesn't work on The Economist.

Ublock plugin and disable scripts on the pages you want to read

EDIT: Also, Laibach loving rules.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I knew Iron Sky would be good when I saw "soundtrack by Laibach"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kesper North posted:

I knew Iron Sky would be good when I saw "soundtrack by Laibach"

There is almost nothing good about that film.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Okay so I know this is insane, but Russia isn’t insane enough to launch a missile or airstrike attack against a nuclear facility, are they?

Reactors are built to survive fully laden airliners being flown into them. They are incredibly hardened.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Reactors are built to survive fully laden airliners being flown into them. They are incredibly hardened.

There are plenty of things at reactors that don't react well to bullets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Disagree, they're hilariously well-known in very very specific sectors of American society; VNV has countless "everybody to the dancefloor for their Favorite Song" anthems in goth clubs across the US. I've seen them play live six times :v:

I can see why you'd think so, but thankfully no. The aesthetic is derived from a wider tradition in industrial music that more or less started with Laibach's antifascist culturejamming in the Neue Slowenische Kunst, generalized into a conscious decision by antifascists to pollute or corrupt fascist cultural signifiers by appropriating them - much as a Nazi might appropriate Thor's hammer, say - and then parodying or criticizing fascism through the work in ways that Nazis would find unpalateable. Slavoj Zizek does a terrible job of explaining it here:

https://deterritorium.wordpress.com/2017/08/20/why-are-laibach-and-nsk-not-fascists-by-slavoj-zizek-1993/.

In other words, you don't just have to let Nazis steal your culture or your aesthetic preferences, you can steal it back and make it about being gay and doing crimes. Possibly against the State!

Like, you'd think Rotersand look and sound pretty fashy, but then you listen to the lyrics and it's all

Dancing on the hearts of fascists
Dancing on hot ashes

Strong Burnin' Sherman energy itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40tDkChvtGA

QFT

I got to meet Ronin Harris when I had to show up 4 hours early to a concert in Seattle because of bus schedules when I was a teen, and he took a smoke break from sound check, circa 2007, he's amazingly friendly and gregarious and willing to make small talk with an awkward teenage fan.

I could see them suffering from the same issues Rammstein has concerning fascists loving them for their aesthetic while missing the point of the music, fortunately they're staunchly anti-war, and their songs in the subject are meant as criticisms. Ronin often leads off the live version of "Honour" by shouting "I HATE WAR which I also feel is a good sentiment for this thread.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Some are, older containment schemes, including stupid poo poo like Ice Condenser buildings aren't. Fortunately PWR reactors are extremely durable and resistant to physical damage by virtue of having to contain extremely hot, pressurized fluid, and the layers of steel, water, lead, and concrete radiation shielding surrounding them. The US Navy has sunk 2, and run 2 into mountains without any significant damage or radiation leakage.

The problem comes when you lose power with a significant amount of decay heat, like Fukushima, very few PWR designs can passively cool themselves to infinite grace (i.e. from 100% power, to shutdown with no exterior power source the reactor can cool the fuel enough that it will not melt the cladding).

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 7, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Beefeater1980 posted:

Economist has terrible political takes and an unshakeable faith in the virtues of free markets, but it is generally reliable on checking facts before reporting them and solid on exercises in classical economics like working out MBA-style the impact of a supply disruption.

They like their centrist candidates but the fight between this is the best we can hope for and we need to push for better hasn't stopped for the last 6 uears. They are usually far left on policies like prison reform, UBI, UHC, housing, homeless, immigration, climate, taxes, etc. Their opinion pieces are obvious and they are more than happy to let you know all about their liberal bias with full disclosures about their birth in a crusade against the corn laws.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kaal posted:

Definitely, and there’s been allegations surfacing that Russian propagandists were involved in British influence peddling as far back as the 2014 Scottish Referendum. Tories are battling to shed their appearance of Russian affiliation, and the SNP is fending off attacks on both sides as the Scottish Greens share government with them and yet sharply criticize any cooperation with NATO or the UK, and have battled on a host of touch points like vaccine passports, nuclear power, Scottish oil and gas independence, etc.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2022/03/the-snp-has-missed-its-chance-for-scottish-independence

Much as I think the English are cretins I find Scottish nationalists even stupider because of their pie in the sky ideas of what an independent Scotland would be worth to the EU (nothing). During the referendum I saw absolute morons claim Scotland would be fast tracked for EU membership because, uh, reasons. Note that this was before Brexit was a thing. The Scottish nationalists were even more delusional than the average Brexit voter, and I spent an evening at a pub trying to talk an Average Brexit Voter out of doing the thing in between explaining how JFK was not killed by shadowy cabal via a magic bullet.

Madness. Total madness.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elviscat posted:

I got to meet Ronan Harris when I had to show up 4 hours early to a concert in Seattle because of bus schedules when I was a teen, and he took a smoke break from sound check, circa 2007, he's amazingly friendly and gregarious and willing to make small talk with an awkward teenage fan.

i was almost certainly at the same show lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What I'm saying is that Ireland should invade Britain, shoot Boris and all the Tories, and then declare HM the Queen the head of The United Kingdom of Ireland and Great Britain. The average Brit is so stupid they wouldn't notice the difference.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kesper North posted:

i was almost certainly at the same show lmao

El Corazón? Are you a 6'6 person with dreadlocks, platform boots and a bustier? Because they're at every VNV show in Seattle, and very recognizable.

That was the show with the opening act spraying air freshener in people's faces, where they almost got in a fight with the crowd, lol.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bird food bathtub posted:

Rebuilding Ukraine ain't gonna be cheap or quick and millions of people evacuating causes problems itself even after war concludes.

Added to this is the possibility of decades of low-intensity border conflict even after this war is over.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Much as I think the English are cretins I find Scottish nationalists even stupider because of their pie in the sky ideas of what an independent Scotland would be worth to the EU (nothing). During the referendum I saw absolute morons claim Scotland would be fast tracked for EU membership because, uh, reasons. Note that this was before Brexit was a thing. The Scottish nationalists were even more delusional than the average Brexit voter, and I spent an evening at a pub trying to talk an Average Brexit Voter out of doing the thing in between explaining how JFK was not killed by shadowy cabal via a magic bullet.

Madness. Total madness.

Catalan secessionists are another really special bunch for similar reasons. I met a couple while visiting my aunt in SW France and they gave off a strong SovCit vibe.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Elviscat posted:

El Corazón? Are you a 6'6 person with dreadlocks, platform boots and a bustier? Because they're at every VNV show in Seattle, and very recognizable.

:allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psydude posted:

Catalan secessionists are another really special bunch for similar reasons. I met a couple while visiting my aunt in SW France and they gave off a strong SovCit vibe.

Explains why certain people were entirely hyped for that declaration of independence farce a couple years ago.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elviscat posted:

No, but I know exactly who you mean.

I would have been a relatively ordinary looking 6' fat dude in black cargo pants and a band t-shirt.

quote:

That was the show with the opening act spraying air freshener in people's faces, where they almost got in a fight with the crowd, lol.

OH MY GOD YES I WAS AT THAT SHOW, THOSE loving ASSHOLES

Their name is Teddy, IIRC

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Teddy sounds awesome

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

Back in '17 when they were pulling independence shenanigans I pulled a "So, what's going on in Catalonia?" on my boss. He's from Spain and will go on and on about everything wrong with the US, so it was nice to toss some poo poo back his way for once. "I don't want to talk about it".

He just pulled some Tankie poo poo on me last week and blamed this whole mess on NATO expansion. He gets some dumb ideas into his head once in a while, but I wasn't expecting that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RFC2324 posted:

Teddy sounds awesome

Even more extra than you are currently imagining

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I missed a context clue to understand the conversation about teddy

But now I miss live music

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kesper North posted:

No, but I know exactly who you mean.

I would have been a relatively ordinary looking 6' fat dude in black cargo pants and a band t-shirt.

OH MY GOD YES I WAS AT THAT SHOW, THOSE loving ASSHOLES

Their name is Teddy, IIRC

Yeah, gently caress those guys is right, I was front row and pissed, I do not need air freshener sprayed in my face as part of your act, holy gently caress.

I always remember Teddy, because they're at every VNV show in the front row, and I'm 6'4, so they're about the only person who's taller than me, even before the 4" platform lifts. They're very considerate in the pits and seem like a great person, we usually ended up next to each other trying not to block the short people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/300561101/russia-burning-corpses-in-mobile-crematorium-in-mariupol-to-hide-war-crimes-says-mayor

quote:

Russian collaborators have turned Mariupol into a death camp by using mobile crematoriums to burn the bodies of thousands of murdered civilians, the city’s mayor has said.

Thousands, apparently. Thousands. loving christ.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There is almost nothing good about that film.

how DARE you

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1511958081059508236

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

If there’s any upside to this it’s that the Russians will prioritize this as effectively as they prioritize combined arms maneuvers

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Panzer of the Lake for our modern age.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Times of Israel is straight up calling this 'the new Auschwitz':

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-new-auschwitz-russians-accused-of-burning-bodies-to-hide-mariupol-atrocities/

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Italy has PNGed and expelled 30 Russian Diplomats, Greece has PNGed 12. Obviously they're almost assuredly known GRU intelligence officers.

https://www.ansa.it/english/news/20...5f24dc8b76.html

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1181599/greece-declares-russian-diplomatic-staff-unwelcome/

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

In an age of smart phones and spy satellites I imagine crimes of this size would be easier to verify compared to the 1940s. :smith: