Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Is that ply or is it MDF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dillbag posted:

Is that ply or is it MDF?

It's (imo) melamine laminated ply. Mdf would most definitely snap after the first non-toddler attempted to use them.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I just don't understand why one doesn't put in a vertical ladder. Seems safer to me and easier to build, especially if the owner doesn't care about people with mobility issues or potential future injuries [like hangovers tbh]. Hell, add a dumbwaiter pulley system if there's no other stairs to carry up loads.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

value-brand cereal posted:

I just don't understand why one doesn't put in a vertical ladder. Seems safer to me and easier to build, especially if the owner doesn't care about people with mobility issues or potential future injuries [like hangovers tbh]. Hell, add a dumbwaiter pulley system if there's no other stairs to carry up loads.

Same reason one cuts into I beams to sink in a tub.

:females:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Mad respect on pinstagram with that trendy poo poo. Much more important than safety or usability.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r9cus4b9Jj1ue0hwj.mp4

Funny, but also on dirt???

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dillbag posted:

Funny, but also on dirt???

The owner had to settle.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

D34THROW posted:

Same reason one cuts into I beams to sink in a tub.

:females:

you laugh but that goon is drowning in teh sex.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ups_rail posted:

you laugh but that goon is drowning in teh sex the water when the tub fell through the floor with the cut joists.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

not a fan

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sure looks like one.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Darchangel posted:

Sure looks like one.

You really boxed him in there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It's somehow been done to a decent level of workmanship.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

H110Hawk posted:

It's somehow been done to a decent level of workmanship.

oh wait, is the side hole for extra draft, so that it actually moves air?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Darchangel posted:

Sure looks like one.

Ceci n'est pas une fan

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I think this is how the back room of my house was constructed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Empty Sandwich posted:

oh wait, is the side hole for extra draft, so that it actually moves air?

It would seem so. Also the spacing from the ceiling.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Ceci n'est pas une fan

:golfclap:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Does anyone else have selective memory when it comes to mudding drywall? For some reason I always think that it's not so bad until I pickup a trowel and say, "riiiiight, this really, really sucks". This is like the fifth time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Blistex posted:

Does anyone else have selective memory when it comes to mudding drywall? For some reason I always think that it's not so bad until I pickup a trowel and say, "riiiiight, this really, really sucks". This is like the fifth time.

It probably depends on how much of a hurry you're in.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Blistex posted:

Nah man, I am always very clear on how much I hate that poo poo.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I find mudding drywall kinda relaxing. It’s texture matching existing drywall for patchiest that I hate.

You want a full new wall in orange peel roll on? No prob.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Slugworth posted:

Nah man, I am always very clear on how much I hate that poo poo.

I think it's mostly that I become quite proficient near the end, and that clouds my long-term memory. As soon as I pick up my 8" trowel and scrape the hardened remnants of a previous job off of it, it all comes back to me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Blistex posted:

I think it's mostly that I become quite proficient near the end, and that clouds my long-term memory. As soon as I pick up my 8" trowel and scrape the hardened remnants of a previous job off of it, it all comes back to me.
Oh, that makes sense. I get less and less proficient as the project goes on because I get more and more frustrated, so the freshest memory I have every time I think about drywall mudding is me laying on the floor, openly weeping.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

✅ Ceiling
✅ Fan

Job done.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's exactly the level of craftsmanship I expect from someone with a good mythical morning poster.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blistex posted:

I took advantage of this last time around and did a fair amount of patching around the house while the muscle memory was fresh. Goodbye to two phone jacks and fixed a door ding, added an outlet which required fishing a wire, and removed an overhead light to replace with cans in a new location.

I almost even painted all of them. :eng99:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

How bad is it really if your gutters leak/overflow and there's sometimes water leaking out of the soffits? Asking for a friend my landlords who refuse to clean the gutters.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it would be pretty dangerous to invite water damage in the long run in that way

good thing that landlords give a gently caress about protecting their investments, ja?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you’re lucky you will also start to see it on the ceiling in heavy rain.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How bad is it really if your gutters leak/overflow and there's sometimes water leaking out of the soffits? Asking for a friend my landlords who refuse to clean the gutters.

Let them know in writing somehow. Email, registered mail, whatever. Then you have a paper trail for when they blame you for not telling them.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Bad. Don’t ask how I know :sigh:

Edit: if you live somewhere it freezes or snows hilarious fun times can happen with that too

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

StormDrain posted:

I took advantage of this last time around and did a fair amount of patching around the house while the muscle memory was fresh. Goodbye to two phone jacks and fixed a door ding, added an outlet which required fishing a wire, and removed an overhead light to replace with cans in a new location.

I almost even painted all of them. :eng99:

I'm doing my entire house right now. 95% hung, and 10% mudded. I don't think I will ever forget how much it sucks, especially when I'm doing the dormers and the tall wall which are ~22' off the floor. I said to hell with doing the cathedral ceiling and decided on v-match pine with a whitewash.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 7, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Blistex posted:

I'm doing my entire house right now. 95% hung, and 10% mudded. I don't think I will ever forget how much it sucks, especially when I'm doing the dormers and the tall wall which are ~22' off the floor. I said to hell with doing the cathedral ceiling and decided on v-match pine with a whitewash.

I'm 95% hung too

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

insta posted:

I'm 95% hung too

Pm me with some pics (of your seam taping)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

the yeti posted:

Bad. Don’t ask how I know :sigh:

Edit: if you live somewhere it freezes or snows hilarious fun times can happen with that too

$50,000 worth of fun times. 🙃

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blistex posted:

I work for a general contractor, and as a result of knowing what poo poo is supposed to cost I generally I do everything myself, plumbing, electrical, built a shed last year, painted a pickup, moved a washer and dryer to a different floor. I tap connections for the trade specific needs like hot water heater furnace etc.

I cannot beleive you're doing an entire house of drywall on your own.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

I work for a general contractor, and as a result of knowing what poo poo is supposed to cost I generally I do everything myself, plumbing, electrical, built a shed last year, painted a pickup, moved a washer and dryer to a different floor. I tap connections for the trade specific needs like hot water heater furnace etc.

I cannot believe you're doing an entire house of drywall on your own.

It's like when I spent six years building my garage.

When it was finally done, I stepped back, admired the handiwork of me and many, many friends and family, and told anyone that would listen:

"I am never loving doing that again."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

StormDrain posted:

I cannot beleive you're doing an entire house of drywall on your own.

I did the entire house on my own. Drywall is easy. Carrying trusses not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PainterofCrap posted:

"I am never loving doing that again."

Why isn't that the subtitle for HCH?