Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
source: torygraph/business/2022/04/06/national-grid-stripped-responsibility-britains-electricity-network/

quote:

Boris Johnson to nationalise key part of Britain's electricity system
The move is the biggest intervention in UK's energy network for decades

By
Rachel Millard
6 April 2022 • 12:48pm
Boris Johnson is poised to nationalise a key part of the electricity network in the biggest overhaul to the UK's energy system in decades.

National Grid is to be stripped of its role in running the electricity system more than 30 years after the industry was privatised.

National Grid Electricity System Operator, a separate legal entity from the FTSE 100 company, is responsible for balancing electricity supply and demand but this body will be effectively nationalised and turned into a so-called Future System Operator (FSO) giving ministers greater powers to oversee the system.

Ministers and regulators believe the move will help create a system better equipped to cope with the complex demands of lower carbon energy supply, while keeping costs down.

Critics have warned that National Grid may not be best placed to oversee a system that needs to be able to cope with significant spikes in demand in the future such as thousands of drivers plugging their cars in to charge at the same time.

It will also avoid any potential conflicts of interest with National Grid, which will continue to own the main electricity transmission network as well as the country’s largest electricity distribution network.

Kwasi Kwarteng, the Business Secretary, said: “Our energy system is at a transformative moment. We need fundamental change to ensure we match the scale of our net zero ambitions.

“The Russia/Ukraine conflict only underlines the serious need to transition and decarbonise our energy system and focus on generating cheaper, cleaner power in Britain.

“A new, independent Future System Operator (FSO) can play a vital part in helping us meet these challenges.”

Jonathan Brearley, chief executive of Ofgem, the regulator, said: “A fully independent system operator will help to transform Great Britain’s energy system and cut customers’ energy bills.

“Critically, the FSO will ensure that we will build a smart, efficient and flexible system that will mean that Britain moves to a secure low carbon and low-cost system.”

Electricity is set to take on a far greater role in the energy system as electric cars, heat pumps and hydrogen replace petrol cars and gas-fired boilers in the push to cut carbon emissions.

Britain's energy mix

Bar chart with 8 data series. (Graph below quote)
Energy sources as a % of UK electricity supply
View as data table, Britain's energy mix
The chart has 1 X axis displaying values. Range: 2011.9 to 2022.1.
The chart has 1 Y axis displaying %. Range: 0 to 100.
End of interactive chart.
With more electricity also coming from intermittent wind and solar power, it is also becoming more complicated to constantly balance supply and demand, as is required to avoid power cuts.

Experts have long recommended a new body to take a more holistic approach to managing the system at a time of huge change.

The new public body will take on the role currently carried out by National Grid’s Electricity System Operator, and also have some responsibility for managing gas supply and demand.

It will have a statutory duty to advise Ofgem and the government to help with key policy decisions, as well as helping to shape the wider energy system.

It could take on further roles managing the energy system over time, such as closer involvement in heating, transport, hydrogen and carbon capture.

The body will be licenced and regulated by Ofgem and paid for by consumers through price controls.

National Grid will be “appropriately compensated” for the loss of the role.

The company’s electricity system operator is a relatively small part of the business financially, but has given the company an important seat at the table in the electricity system.

John Pettigrew, chief executive of National Grid, said: “We have been working closely with Government, industry and the regulator to create a future system operator that enables long-term holistic thinking, drives progress towards net zero, and lays the foundations for the regulatory reform necessary to deliver a clean, fair and affordable energy transition.

“We will continue to work closely with all relevant parties to ensure a smooth transition, subject to Parliamentary approval and conclusion of the transaction process.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Two different axes because otherwise the number of posters would be basically a flat line at the bottom of the graph.

what day/week/whatever was the spike, anyway? was it any particularly exciting news event or was it just some people got in a big argument

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angepain posted:

what day/week/whatever was the spike, anyway? was it any particularly exciting news event or was it just some people got in a big argument

Have to assume it was crisps-related in some way

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

It's February 2021, when we suddenly went from 7158 posts in January to 11586 and then back down to 6792 in March. Can't remember if there were any particular Happenings then though - thread title suggests Brexit fun and games, and of course we were starting up vaccinations then.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah the channel 4 thing upset me too, for the same reasons. Like, there's literally no reason to privatise it at all. We're just ruled over by spiteful cunts who hate the idea of people having nice things.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I feel like saying there is no reason to privatise C4 is wrong. Of course there is: the dual whammy of *sniff* ideology, the religious faith in the free market & everything being better if left to private business, combined with simple corruption. Not even the illegal kind necessarily, the sort of I'll rub your back, you rub mine that is viewed as "necessary to oil the wheels of commerce": party donors getting favours for their donations.

It's fine to think these are lousy reasons, I do too. But it's folly not to understand that the reasons are real enough.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjrC21-AHYc

Fucks sake, not only Jago Hazzard, now this bloke has come over from his normal European haunts to steal my video ideas.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjrC21-AHYc

Fucks sake, not only Jago Hazzard, now this bloke has come over from his normal European haunts to steal my video ideas.

I hate that I was 95% sure I knew who you were talking about just from the description of coming over from Europe. There's loads of Europeans, could've been any number of them but nope, "must be Tim Traveller"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I have 400 thousand followers on twitter and I wish to speak to the manager
https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1511776042704424965?t=JlwKpZLz3cozlzvFCebSJw&s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1511378789674192902?t=N01KMwfnDI0G-ldNcIRxdg&s=19

I feel like I'm going insane.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

We're gonna need a bigger :irony:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

source: torygraph/business/2022/04/06/national-grid-stripped-responsibility-britains-electricity-network/

Lol this chart. Time on the y axis, the key is in the opposite order to the data points... what a mess

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
loving hell, the System Operator licence becoming public is the hospitaliest of hospital passes. Dressing it up as a nationalisation is such a sop.

National Grid (Private) = Regulated Asset Value returns on 132kV and above Transmission network and inter connectors in England and Wales = Golden Goose. Prints money.

National Grid ESO/FSO = Difficult to manage load balancing and system management between DSO’s and TO’s. Huge investment in IT required from what I can remember. Been out of that specific part for a year though so might be wrong.

DSO = Distribution System Operator (Private) = licences for 132kV and below who supply the leccy to your house for RAV and fixed percentages on top. Prints money.

Scotland gets two Transmission Operators because they’re special.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I hate that I was 95% sure I knew who you were talking about just from the description of coming over from Europe. There's loads of Europeans, could've been any number of them but nope, "must be Tim Traveller"

I do really like his vids, but have never been tempted to post them here before because a) not much actual UK content and b) he *is* the most middle class liberal on the entire planet not currently employed as a columnist, and I assumed that there'd be a bit of friction.

Wickhams is absolutely one of my favourite things in the East End though, and I still remember the fairly hilarious outcry when the developer who purchased it submitted a planning application to fill in the gap to make the building whole. Read the room, FFS. The current situation is still pretty poo poo but at least keeps most of the spirit.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thing about the C4 privatisation is it actually is within the power of the opposition to stop. If Labour publicly commit to renationalisation if they win, buyers just won’t go near it to begin with.

Of course they won’t do that though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Israeli government considers every Palestinian to be a combatant and their own actions to be a matter of self defence.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm mostly just too depressed to post but I'm still lurking and this thread usually lifts my spirits a little

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

The Israeli government considers every Palestinian to be a combatant and their own actions to be a matter of self defence.

Tthe Israeli government doesn't do anything atm, it has collapsed over a piece of pitta bread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

Tthe Israeli government doesn't do anything atm, it has collapsed over a piece of pitta bread.

Just because it collapsed over bread doesn't mean it's un-Levant.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I'm literally just posting so I get included in all the stats :sun:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I do really like his vids, but have never been tempted to post them here before because a) not much actual UK content and b) he *is* the most middle class liberal on the entire planet not currently employed as a columnist, and I assumed that there'd be a bit of friction.

What makes him a middle class liberal besides his accent?

Ive never seen this channel before btw and so far its excellent, similar in content to Tom Scott. Short and to the point and actually interesting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

His name is Tim he has a taste for flannel
He studies sculpture on a YouTube channel

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

His name is Tim he has a taste for flannel
He studies sculpture on a YouTube channel

:allears:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Tim seems like a nice lad from his videos, and so long as he keeps whatever politics he has private I consider it no business of mine. I try to assume the best of people until they give me strong reason to think otherwise, and even if someone happens to imply they vote Lib Dem or En Marche or whatever, there's a difference between someone who does their politics once every few years at the ballot box and someone who tries to down twitter in their Dunning-Kruger hot takes.

Hell, even if he was a full FBPE (and I've got no particular reason to think he is), I'd still have to credit that he actually lives in Paris and speaks more than one language, which would put him a whole class above most FBPEs whose chief concerns seemed mostly "I was promised the End of History" and "I don't want a longer queue at the airport".

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
He seems to often mention the best way to visit a place if you have a disability, which is very nice and something I see very few other 'tourist' channels ever mention.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I haven't had time what with the easter hols to do this month's proper solidarity fund update but here's a nice little bit of good cheer amidst all the poo poo.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 7, 2022

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Tim's stuff is fine? The stuff he finds to talk about is really interesting. It's not a politics channel, quite deliberately I think. But I mean, he doesn't seem to have buried terrible opinions. Probably about as liberal as Tom Scott is but I mean I'll take "isn't actively part of the chud-o-sphere" and enjoy the escapism of learning about german dangle-trains. It IS youtube, after all.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Total Meatlove posted:

National Grid ESO/FSO = Difficult to manage load balancing and system management between DSO’s and TO’s. Huge investment in IT required from what I can remember. Been out of that specific part for a year though so might be wrong.

ESO gets all of its incurred costs back through an industry levy (Balancing Services Use of System charges) which includes a guaranteed profit plus a bonus if they’re deemed to have been doing a good job by Ofgem.

They’re hilariously bad at delivering IT change. The project to move from the 1980s-era balancing mechanism dispatch software is over 10 years late and going nowhere fast. The project to implement the Trans-European Replacement Reserves Exchange is likewise about 4 years late.

I can’t blame them too much for TERRE being a disaster though - it also got derailed by Brexit. :v:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Two different axes because otherwise the number of posters would be basically a flat line at the bottom of the graph.

If the y-axis were rescaled so that the maximum on each was the ratio of the average poster:posts ratio across all the data the distance between the two lines would be more meaningful!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tim is loving great, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

RDevz posted:

I can’t blame them too much for TERRE being a disaster though - it also got derailed by Brexit. :v:

Better known as clusterception.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
No fuel at Tesco or the big garage at the corner...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No fuel at Tesco or the big garage at the corner...

You can't keep baiting me like this

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The political beliefs of Youtubers are very often bad. Better that they keep it to themselves rather than find out that the weird scandi guy I follow who cleans up antique tech is Nazi adjacent.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
tbh I don't know how anyone could have good politics if you're one of the chosen few who seem to have unlocked the infinate money cheat of being a successful youtuber, especially the ones where the whole gimmick is that they're out of touch weirdos with too much money. It seems like the most public way to have no loving clue whats actually happening.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of youtubers, 'Bald and Bankrupt' has been becoming popular due to the troubles in Ukraine, so it's worth reminding everyone that he's a racist PUA who narrowly avoided a gang rape conviction in the UK, before then abandoning his wife and daughter to become a sex tourist, all funded by youtube and patreon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I'm literally just posting so I get included in all the stats :sun:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PYtWc5ZAoS3c3JOeGcpvWfiP_y17WIYw77obmCXPoE4/edit?usp=sharing

Well good news, you're (presumably) somewhere in this lot which I'm just going to dump for people to play with because I got bored with it - a list of total posts per day with a link to the first post of the day. No prizes for guessing what the two busiest days of all time were, but I was a little surprised that the 2019 GE didn't rank higher - I suppose we were all just ground down by that point.

Here's the top 10:

2016-06-24 5392 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778394&pagenumber=205#post461372859
2017-06-09 5239 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822280&pagenumber=228#post473191383
2015-05-08 4455 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717282&pagenumber=125#post445051076
2017-06-08 2486 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822280&pagenumber=166#post473147731
2019-12-12 2464 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905288&pagenumber=182#post500723463
2019-12-13 2349 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905288&pagenumber=244#post500757691
2015-05-07 2163 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717282&pagenumber=100#post445045414
2016-06-27 1967 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778394&pagenumber=413#post461473946
2016-06-26 1636 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778394&pagenumber=372#post461446048
2016-06-28 1538 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778394&pagenumber=462#post461512708

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Ive never seen this channel before btw and so far its excellent, similar in content to Tom Scott. Short and to the point and actually interesting.

I mean he's an Englishman living in Paris having gone to university there who spends his time wandering around Europe and making (very, very good - like I say, I'm a fan) videos about it. It's about the most middle-class lifestyle imaginable.

I was (semi) joking about his class and affect being a possible problem ITT because of the previous arguments we've had here about people being consigned to the depths of hell simply because they're not shoeless and quoting Marx. I think his style, charm and just sheer enthusiasm (and the work he puts into the videos - he plays all the music for them himself and figuring out what he's playing is a fun little side-quest to his vids for me) more than overcome him being called "Tim".

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of youtubers, 'Bald and Bankrupt' has been becoming popular due to the troubles in Ukraine, so it's worth reminding everyone that he's a racist PUA who narrowly avoided a gang rape conviction in the UK, before then abandoning his wife and daughter to become a sex tourist, all funded by youtube and patreon.

I don't doubt this at all but is there a good source for this info on the guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

2019 was awful and we all just went to bed iirc. Not surprised it was quieter than previous Big Election Nights.