Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My biggest complaint with Phasmo VR is operating things like light switches. The overhead lights in the campgrounds sometimes straight up don't work for me. Looks like this is going a long way to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

BrainDance posted:

Whoever lived in my apartment before me ran some cat5 through the ceiling, going directly from the room my main computer (the one that can do VR well) is now in up and into the "spare room" that I'm turning into a little home theater/space for VR.

This might actually be good for me, I have very specific needs for my actual router and plan to keep using the one I have for actual Internet stuff, but when I went and signed onto the Internet for this place they gave me a free Wifi 6 router. So I thought, toss in another ethernet card in my computer, ethernet cable through the ceiling into the spare room, wifi 6 router in there bam no walls the signal has to go through perfect wireless VR.

The problem though is when they ran that cat5 cable it was all just a little bit too short, short enough to be really annoying. They had capped on little extenders like this;

That ones an ancient piece of poo poo and I'd throw it out and get my own. But, would those extenders add any latency or cause any other problems? If I have on one end an extender and another cat5 cable going to my computer, and on the other end another extender going to the router, is that gonna cause any kind of problems? Any kind of problems at all? I am very particular about this sort of thing and if it does, it will bug me. Cuz if so I'm gonna get up there and run another cat5 cable through that's longer but would definitely love to not have to do that.

I have a long run of cat5 that I wanted just to split so got one of those little powered ethernet switch boxes and my speed doubled and didn't affect my ping, It fixed a problem I didn't even know I was having so this might be a good way to extend your cables

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thoatse posted:

I have a long run of cat5 that I wanted just to split so got one of those little powered ethernet switch boxes and my speed doubled and didn't affect my ping, It fixed a problem I didn't even know I was having so this might be a good way to extend your cables

This isn't the wiring or home networking thread, but how the gently caress long was that run?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The luster on Phasmophobia only lasts as long as the mystery does. Those first handful of missions where you have no idea what's going on, though, led to some of the most deep-down terror moments I've ever experienced playing a video game.

poo poo where your friends see you sprinting out of the haunted house and you want to tell them what happened but you literally have to wait for your body to exit fight or flight mode first.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Warmachine posted:

This isn't the wiring or home networking thread, but how the gently caress long was that run?

Something like 150 feet. It runs from my apt to my neighbors in a different building. It's long enough to go up the outside wall, strain relieved both sides, wrapped around another wire that crosses then snakes back down and under my unit where it comes up through the floor to an rj45 jack panel on the wall.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thoatse posted:

Something like 150 feet. It runs from my apt to my neighbors in a different building. It's long enough to go up the outside wall, strain relieved both sides, wrapped around another wire that crosses then snakes back down and under my unit where it comes up through the floor to an rj45 jack panel on the wall.

Yeah, that'll do it.

I'm only just getting back into the swing of VR and I have to say, aside from generally being out of shape, the combination of fogging lenses and red-orange color palette makes the Fall Out Boy Beatsaber tracks way harder than they should be.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

SCheeseman posted:

Myst Island Walkabout Mini Golf course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQgxGVEMGM

With this and Jim Henson's Labyrinth, they're getting some cool licenses.

that's hot

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/ItsKaitlyn03/status/1511420503659061261

It seems Meta will sell you an official wifi dongle, but it was a rebrand, this one: D-Link DWA-F18 VR Air Bridge

Finally! I have been yelling this from the rooftops since day 1 of wireless VR.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Its time has finally come again.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I got to do some multiplayer dogfighting in UltraWings 2 the other day.

You only can use the mustang, you have unlimited fuel and your ammo is limited by a heat meter. I don't think you get to pick the island you fly on but you start in in mid-air. If you crash or get shot down there is a 10 second respawn

My room only had 3 people in it but the voice chat worked well and we even stopped shooting one another to coordinate flying through the tunnels or under bridges together.

EDIT
here is how you get multiplayer
press BAXABY on your controllers BEFORE grabbing the helmet but after the first "push a button" you will hear a audio exclamation if you have done it correctly

and also a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR_aXxL-bgA

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 7, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Its time has finally come again.

Ahh, I remember that thing :allears:. Had some fun times playing Metroid Hunters multiplayer.

And I also remember the way it overheated regularly and couldn't hold a connection to save its life.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

reposting it here because I'm a big dummy who put this in the steam thread:

The Demeo PC edition came out today in early access, if you own the game on any platform you get a free copy of it on PC for in-or-out of VR. If you bought on Quest like I did it should be in your Library on the oculus PC app now, and you can launch it in flatscreen mode using the 3 dots next to the game in the library. Pretty slick! I see some great changes since the last time I played this too like the ability to play with friggin CPUs which was weirdly not an option before.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

reposting it here because I'm a big dummy who put this in the steam thread:

The Demeo PC edition came out today in early access, if you own the game on any platform you get a free copy of it on PC for in-or-out of VR. If you bought on Quest like I did it should be in your Library on the oculus PC app now, and you can launch it in flatscreen mode using the 3 dots next to the game in the library. Pretty slick! I see some great changes since the last time I played this too like the ability to play with friggin CPUs which was weirdly not an option before.

I could swear you could play with cpu since always.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Meta Cambria leaks

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don't have much interest in it as a product, but it's nice seeing pancake lenses doing their work getting the facebrick factor under control.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That looks really slick, I have to say.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is this Cambria basically going to be a higher end Quest? I'm definitely interested as long as it's not, like, $1000

Edit: VVV :hmmyes:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 7, 2022

marumaru
May 20, 2013

if it's 500 or less i'm getting one

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'll consider it if they pay me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Didn't they specifically mention that Cambria would not be low priced?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BonoMan posted:

Didn't they mention Cambria being not a more "budget" facing device?

yeah, they're saying it'll be considerably more expensive. And I think technically not a primarily gaming device?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah rewatching the keynote:

"Cambria is an advanced and high end product... and it'll be at the high end of the price spectrum too."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've been a huge HMD nerd all my life (and it's taking off now bigtime, despite my eyes and ears falling apart, one of life's practical jokes) so I'm interested for sure.

I'm assuming it will be compatible with all the stuff Quest does instead of being a purely enterprise product, but I guess I shouldn't assume.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I mean it depends what the price spectrum goes up to, I'd consider dropping a non-insignificant amount of dosh if it's a standalone device that can do everything the Quest 2 does but at a higher resolution with a way sleeker form factor.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Eyes Have It posted:

I've been a huge HMD nerd all my life (and it's taking off now bigtime, despite my eyes and ears falling apart, one of life's practical jokes) so I'm interested for sure.

I'm assuming it will be compatible with all the stuff Quest does instead of being a purely enterprise product, but I guess I shouldn't assume.

Yeah they specifically mentioned it'd be compatible with Quest 2.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm probably gonna buy the cambria no matter the price :ohno:

I'm mainly excited about the AR features, with high resolution full color pass through and good depth sensors this might actually be the first awesome AR device, would love to play around with developing AR apps/games for it

secondarily I'm excited about those pancake optics, way slimmer and better quality visuals is quite a pairing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Interesting if the stereo cameras are more in the center of the device, instead of where the eyes should go. Right?

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Feel like those side cameras are going to be able to extend tracking to the sides and back by a huge amount.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone have any input on accessories? Like I’ve seen a thing you can connect to a controller to make it feel more like a gun? Stuff like that. My biggest issue with playing older games in VR was the complete lack of gun feedback. Makes the whole thing feel off

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SCheeseman posted:

Meta Cambria leaks

drat that looks really slick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The thick comfy back part for the head + the top front part to help the device rest with the forehead + surely it weight less than Quest 2 thanks to the new lenses = it looks like people will be able to use one for hours.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ragaduffin posted:

Feel like those side cameras are going to be able to extend tracking to the sides and back by a huge amount.

I forgot to reply to this:

So, controller tracking will be done now by the controllers themselves. They won't need line of sight to the headset. Occlusion issues will be a thing of the past.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone have any input on accessories? Like I’ve seen a thing you can connect to a controller to make it feel more like a gun? Stuff like that. My biggest issue with playing older games in VR was the complete lack of gun feedback. Makes the whole thing feel off

My biggest gripe about VR gun stuff is grip angle mismatches. Like, the controller is at this angle but the gun is at that angle. Feels bad, man

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The stick locomotion zombie shooters will finally be fun when I can play them in AR passthrough mode so I can still see my anime posters

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Turin Turambar posted:

The thick comfy back part for the head + the top front part to help the device rest with the forehead + surely it weight less than Quest 2 thanks to the new lenses = it looks like people will be able to use one for hours.

You can use any headset for hours if you're not some pencil necked geek!

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Turin Turambar posted:

I forgot to reply to this:

So, controller tracking will be done now by the controllers themselves. They won't need line of sight to the headset. Occlusion issues will be a thing of the past.

Oh good point, forgot about that feature, but would still matter for hand tracking I suppose.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It could get pretty pricy if they're targeting enterprise, but if by some miracle it's a grand or less (in £) then I may well be splurging.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

You can use any headset for hours if you're not some pencil necked geek!

these fools skipping neck reps. pathetic

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRPjgSrQ8gA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

On the subject of "why isn't there a Black & White style god sim in VR?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HinpsY-_ZGI

No god powers evident, but a lot of hurling villagers around on a whim!

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 9, 2022