Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HappyHippo posted:

I read an article that described the vision of NFTs as "a virtual world where we have finally solved the problem of how to create scarcity when nothing is real" which is just a brilliant description. To libertarians, the fact that digital stuff can be copied for virtually no cost is a problem, and NFTs are the solution.

The whole article is worth a read: https://www.gawker.com/culture/the-future-is-useless-expensive

quote:

NFTs are the human capacity for visual expression as understood by the guy at the vape store.
LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

OpenSea seem to be the arbiter of provenance of NFTs, so one wonders what benefit the blockchain or indeed any decentralised technology brings to the table when centralised authority OpenSea decides who owns what anyway (and takes a cut of sales, has the power to label the "wrong" NFTs as such, etc) ?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Durzel posted:

OpenSea seem to be the arbiter of provenance of NFTs, so one wonders what benefit the blockchain or indeed any decentralised technology brings to the table when centralised authority OpenSea decides who owns what anyway (and takes a cut of sales, has the power to label the "wrong" NFTs as such, etc) ?

Asking any questions?

Sounds like FUD to me!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Durzel posted:

See also: cryptocurrency exchanges

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Calling OpenSea and crypto exchanges centralized is leaving some stupid on the table. There's nothing forcing you to these central points besides near monopolies on the user friendly interfaces and business processes to efficiently use the technology. There's nothing stopping you from raw dogging the block chain except your own inability to read the matrix.

I wish I remembered what that kid auditing Bitcoin code said so I could sign off my post with the same silly question so instead I'll remind everyone if the story. Some Bitcoin kid on some other forums in the early Bitcoin times was like "I need to know more about Bitcoin to explain it's technical advantages" and declared his intention to read the source code. 15 minutes later he had a follow-up post asking "what does [basic programming statement] mean?"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zedprime posted:

Calling OpenSea and crypto exchanges centralized is leaving some stupid on the table. There's nothing forcing you to these central points besides near monopolies on the user friendly interfaces and business processes to efficiently use the technology. There's nothing stopping you from raw dogging the block chain except your own inability to read the matrix.

You really expect an average person to be able to do any of this poo poo in a crypto world though?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

zedprime posted:

I wish I remembered what that kid auditing Bitcoin code said so I could sign off my post with the same silly question so instead I'll remind everyone if the story. Some Bitcoin kid on some other forums in the early Bitcoin times was like "I need to know more about Bitcoin to explain it's technical advantages" and declared his intention to read the source code. 15 minutes later he had a follow-up post asking "what does [basic programming statement] mean?"

He wanted to know what the very first line did in the very first file he read. It was an "include" directive.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Main Paineframe posted:

In theory, the blockchain lets you check the history and origin of a NFT, so it's trivial to tell whether a crappy ape jpeg is an original Bored Ape from the original Bored Apes collection or a right-clicked and re-minted copy.

The real fun happens if there's a blockchain fork.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'd say this is pretty much right on. NFT's in videogames bothers me greatly.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'd say this is pretty much right on. NFT's in videogames bothers me greatly.

wtf

did B^U hire an artist? How the gently caress is that poo poo still updating? I'd just assumed it kind of faded out after loss

edit: vvvv my dude it's now really boring but it's technically improved over the old poo poo a lot.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I think that's the first time anything from Ctrl+Alt+Del has been described as "right on". How is that comic still going? And why has the art not improved one iota in the last thirteen years?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In typical B^u fashion, removing the center panel and reducing the amount of dialogue would’ve improved it 10 fold

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Karia posted:

I think that's the first time anything from Ctrl+Alt+Del has been described as "right on". How is that comic still going? And why has the art not improved one iota in the last thirteen years?

same way megatokyo and sluggy freelance are still going. they look just the same as they always did, too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sinfest is somehow still going as well.

And went down one hell of a anti-LGBTQ rabbit hole apparently goddamn

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shifty Pony posted:

Sinfest is somehow still going as well.

And went down one hell of a anti-LGBTQ rabbit hole apparently goddamn

There was quite an ideological ride there, went radfem in the late 00s then spent about a decade as nonstop TERF and SWERF screeds, then about when the author got on Twitter poo poo started circling the inevitable MAGA drain.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
a better comic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gutcruncher posted:

In typical B^u fashion, removing the center panel and reducing the amount of dialogue would’ve improved it 10 fold
I dunno, I got a sensible chuckle over the basic fact that many CHUDs would still whiteknight a company for being a misogynistic, racist piece of poo poo. You can bet your rear end some rear end in a top hat would write a screed on how people are "cancelling" the company.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kw0134 posted:

I dunno, I got a sensible chuckle over the basic fact that many CHUDs would still whiteknight a company for being a misogynistic, racist piece of poo poo. You can bet your rear end some rear end in a top hat would write a screed on how people are "cancelling" the company.

Freeze peach absolutists

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kw0134 posted:

Sorry, were you talking about Coinbase again? :v: They manage to hit both ends of that perspective.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

wtf

did B^U hire an artist? How the gently caress is that poo poo still updating? I'd just assumed it kind of faded out after loss

edit: vvvv my dude it's now really boring but it's technically improved over the old poo poo a lot.

they could draw like that the whole time AND CHOSE NOT TO :D

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm still salty they closed the CAD mock thread. It was just too beautiful for these dead gay comedy forums.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

zedprime posted:

If it helps I'm pretty sure that was Atlas. Sometimes I wonder what he's up to these days, a bunch of the funnier people from all this when it was just Bitcoin all disappeared.

Edit: Oh poo poo I found it:

quote:

First file is bitcoin / src / main.cpp. Feel free to correct me and guide me during this process. I know pretty much poo poo about coding. Yes, this might be completely inane but I am going to take that risk.

Let's start with these #includes:

#include "alert.h"

#include "checkpoints.h"

#include "db.h"

#include "net.h"

#include "init.h"

#include "ui_interface.h"

#include <boost/algorithm/string/replace.hpp>

#include <boost/filesystem.hpp>

#include <boost/filesystem/fstream.hpp>

What do each of these files do and refer to? What is the function of #include?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

fartzilla posted:

If it helps I'm pretty sure that was Atlas. Sometimes I wonder what he's up to these days, a bunch of the funnier people from all this when it was just Bitcoin all disappeared.

Edit: Oh poo poo I found it:

It’s the most dunningkruger.txt poo poo to ever happen. Every time I remember it I actually lol. I live in a country with a population of 5 million people, and there are 3 people in the whole I place I would trust with doing manual code review. Yet this genius who doesn’t understand the most simple of C functions is going to give the big tick to the Bitcoin source.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
alright let's start at the top...

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"

ok so what does the '10' stand for here? is that related to fiat?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why is it printing? I dont have a printer right now, I let my girlfriend borrow it.

Also is the code alive? Is it saying hello ?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

first step to hacking the blockchain is plugging in your computer...it's the cord in the back, and there's a switch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LifeSunDeath posted:

first step to hacking the blockchain is plugging in your computer...it's the cord in the back, and there's a switch.

yeah the one that says 110v/220v

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mozi posted:

alright let's start at the top...

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"

ok so what does the '10' stand for here? is that related to fiat?

lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

oh how far rodgers has fallen

https://twitter.com/therecountalt/status/1512139372698771457

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

who

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

would love to hear him describe how he thinks that would work

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I think it’s the creepy guy from that movie Nightcrawler

He was in one of the spider mans too

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

This guy he's amazing.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
he needs some global warming so he doesn’t play terribly in the frozen tundra at Lambeau Field in January

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/04/axie-infinity-raises-150m-to-help-reimburse-hacked-user-funds/

I never get tired of reading about Axie Infinity. :allears:

quote:

Sky Mavis' new funding comes amid today's alpha launch of Axie Infinity: Origin. The standalone, free-to-play version of the game gives players three free non-NFT Axies, cutting the requirement to purchase pricey Axies on the open market just to start playing. But this version also won't offer players any NFT rewards during its initial Early Access period; Sky Mavis promises those kinds of benefits will come after a full launch, at which point the "Classic" version of the game will be deprecated.

I'm especially amused by how the "game" basically shows perfectly why this is a horrible future and why gamers oppose it.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Darth TNT posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/04/axie-infinity-raises-150m-to-help-reimburse-hacked-user-funds/

I'm especially amused by how the "game" basically shows perfectly why this is a horrible future and why gamers oppose it.

a non-NFT is just an FT :mad:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Sky Mavis, which raised $152 million last October in a deal that valued the company at nearly $3 billion.

LOL @ the totally lack of control over the financial industry

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

DrPossum posted:

a non-NFT is just an FT :mad:

I mean who would want to play a videogame if you have to use the same character as other people?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

love to invest 150 million dollars in a company that just had quadruple that amount stolen from users

as unpopular as crypto is, there is WAY too much money sloshing around in that godforsaken ecosystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Main Paineframe posted:

love to invest 150 million dollars in a company that just had quadruple that amount stolen from users

as unpopular as crypto is, there is WAY too much money sloshing around in that godforsaken ecosystem

Apparently it's being led by Binance, so that might not be actual money.