Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mikl posted:

This is my favourite thread in the forums, and I super enjoyed it. Be well, y'all.

You take care of yourself, Mikl.

She's been a tutor for like one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 24-25, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 21, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 7-8, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

You take care of yourself, Mikl.

She's been a tutor for like one day

It's like that old saying: "If at first you don't succeed, you're a complete failure and should give up and never try anything again."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

It's like that old saying: "If at first you don't succeed, you're a complete failure and should give up and never try anything again."

...I feel seen.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tiggum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtjqh6IpIbU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

This is a breach of my privacy

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ohser had basically no choice in it if he wanted to keep working. Remember how he used to draw explicitly anti-Nazi cartoons too, before they came into power.

I had managed to avoid confronting the realities of Ohser's situation until I saw these and, hey, maybe it's because you're not doing kicky translations and important notes, but these seemed way more verbose and way less mirthful than usual. Now I'm just sad about a cartoonist who did a cute little comic strip with a ton of heart but, in the face of an inhuman regime, fought fascism the only way he knew how until the fascists took his platform, his livelihood, and his freedom, then only stopped short of his life because he took it first.

poo poo, sorry, I got weird again. Have an edit.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 30, 2000)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Every time Lothar appears in these classic Mandrake strips is painful. :sigh:

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/6/02

Brenda Starr 7/1-3/48

Smokey Stover 3/9/47

Everyday Movies 1/8/35

"I hate to throw these socks away, Duke. They'd be perfectly good if it weren't for the feet."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Mandrake

Every time Lothar appears in these classic Mandrake strips is painful. :sigh:
I'm endlessly fascinated by the fact that comics used to have one set speech pattern that was used for children, uneducated minorities and Bizarro without further distinction.

I'm also fascinated by the idea that a man with two heads might need a mask (two masks!) to prevent being identified.

LvK posted:

I had managed to avoid confronting the realities of Ohser's situation until I saw these and, hey, maybe it's because you're not doing kicky translations and important notes, but these seemed way more verbose and way less mirthful than usual.
Yeah, that's what struck me too - they're clearly and obviously commissioned and, one assumes, fulfil the letter of the mandate and don't do one thing more. The Nazis want their talking points repeated in a largely pantomime strip, well that's what they get.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 7, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days November 19, 1959

Cartoonist's Tip:
if you ever get tired of reusing the same setup and punchline for a strip, just reverse them instead.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 7-8, 1990)

I love this one, it's great. :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Poil posted:

I love this one, it's great. :allears:

I propose that it is the single, greatest Calvin and Hobbes strip.

Seconded only possibly by the Gauguin one.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Spud being a good rapper is my favorite

I love this too :3:

Mikl posted:

Quick drive-by post: having a terrible time with lots of stuff, and I'm for the moment unable to keep up with posting K&K (both Classic and Modern). In case someone wants to tag in, the latest Classic strip I posted was Sunday, July 2nd, 2006. I don't remember what the last Modern strip I posted was, but you can check my post history to find out.

This is my favourite thread in the forums, and I super enjoyed it. Be well, y'all.

e: Realising just now what I just wrote sounds like. Don't worry, I'm not in immediate danger or in need of an intervention. It's just that life is being A Lot right now. You know how it is.

I hope everything is okay and that things calm down for you soon!

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know what, let's just get the Nazi propaganda over with.

I knew it had to happen eventually. :(

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

More carrots! Yeah!! BLOP

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 20, 1950)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Apple edition)

e: Out of curiosity

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 7, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm not sad to see Pearls Before Swine leave the thread, it's amazing how hard that strip fell off when Pastis became a middle-aged man complaining about everything and also nothing. I used to love it but it irritates the hell out of me now.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "138 - Jucika's Net"

"139 - Jucika Is Waiting For Her Guest"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

You've got so many reasons for not being with someone. But Janis, you haven't got one good reason for being alone.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 7, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Helmet was too tight, caused a subdural hematoma, and this is all his dying dream.

Medenmath posted:

Haha Aleta, classic prank. Everyone have a laugh.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 7, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Help, my eyes have rolled out of my head.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

"Ha-ha! So, since we're all friends now... think you could recall your soldiers who are out burning my villages and farms?"

The Family Circus

Bizarro

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A Mug That Reads "Don't Talk To Me Until I've Had My Funny Online Animals"

K&K

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Using Hap-Atla's wife and infant son to show him that his ambition is silly is diplomatic skill, but then setting up a second block and executioner specifically for said infant son is a goddamn ice-cold loving power move holy poo poo

Vater und Sohn: Adventure with a goldfish that wasn't (1937/09)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P
The next few pages will be Peter and Ping, starring Peter Vimmelskaft and his penguin (who will remain untranslated, as most of what he says is nonsense anyway).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Tiggum posted:

For some of us, it’s a momentous step to ever break out of this mindset, is all I’m gonna say.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Medenmath posted:

Heart of the City seems nice to me so far. It doesn't always have a gag, but I think it's more of a slice of life strip. This story seems to be about Heart making friends with this other girl she's not gotten along with before now, which is cute (as long as it sticks - things constantly reverting to the status quo is always annoying). I don't think it's really about pop culture - its characters just reference it in the way kids would. It's both about and for tween kids, and I assume very few people reading this thread are in the ten to fourteen age range, so that might explain why people here find it boring.

And I think the art is good, like someone awful said its style matches a lot of modern cartoons. The artist does seem to have a tendency to put the characters in baggy clothes, maybe as a cheat to avoid having to be particular about the anatomy.

The strip's biggest crime is that it went from Mark Tatulli's singularly ugly style of art to an inoffensive blandness that, like you said, is present everywhere now:

The bug-eyed, potato-shaped smile at a 3/4 perspective gets exhausting to look at real quick. The muted color palette doesn't do it any favors, either.

Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 7, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
So why does a Selkie ditch their skin to swim as a human, again? Why not just stay in seal form? It makes sense if they want to come on land, but not to go swimming!

Transmodiar posted:

The strip's biggest crime is that it went from Mark Tatulli's singularly ugly style of art to an inoffensive blandness that, like you said, is present everywhere now:

The bug-eyed, potato-shaped smile at a 3/4 perspective gets exhausting to look at real quick. The muted color palette doesn't do it any favors, either.

Is this the "Cal Arts style" thing I hear people complain about? I don't agree, but I also don't want to argue. All I can say is I don't find the art in Heart of the City ugly, and your example, Luca, is in my opinion a very pretty film.

edit: Did you post Modesty Blaise at a tiny size or am I having some weird issue on my end?

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 7, 2022

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Medenmath posted:

So why does a Selkie ditch their skin to swim as a human, again? Why not just stay in seal form? It makes sense if they want to come on land, but not to go swimming!

Is this the "Cal Arts style" thing I hear people complain about? I don't agree, but I also don't want to argue. All I can say is I don't find the art in Heart of the City ugly, and your example, Luca, is in my opinion a very pretty film.

The bean head potato smile reminiscent-of-Steven-Universe thing is what people derisively call the "Cal Arts" style, although my understanding is it's less that they actually teach that style there and more that the style just happens to be trendy and also everyone in the industry all met each other through Cal Arts. From what I can tell the "Cal Arts produces poo poo artists" thing was also a thing John K would say a lot that's since caught on but he'd also say that about anyone who wasn't Bob Clampett so whatever

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Mr. Sun used a shrink-ray on Modesty Blaise :ohdear:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

lol that they threaten to chop the head off the baby.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:haw:

Apartment 3-G

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
My only complaint about Heart in the City is I wouldn't know she was in Blade Runner cosplay if they hadn't told me. But this is also my fault cuz I haven't seen Blade Runner. I recognize the Spike and..Judy Jetson(??) though. Honestly the strip is fine, I am always of the opinion :justpost:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Medenmath posted:

edit: Did you post Modesty Blaise at a tiny size or am I having some weird issue on my end?

I don't think "Luca" or the new "Heart" is ugly - I just think the style is predominant this time. Tatulli's art is objectively unappealing, though.

Modesty's back to full size, now, btw. :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jesus Christ Toby

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Real Life has taken priority over posting Classic Nancy, I hope to resume this weekend.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Blade Runner strip is astoundingly bad but otherwise ehh, s'fine comic.

I don't think I can even follow the nonsense soup in Mark Trail anymore. "Influencers won't learn about cricket powder for funsies." What if you just gave them money, there's not even a reason for the NFTs in this "scheme" Jules just wants us to know NFTs are bad which yeah sure they are but that's not a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

If you hear someone complaining specifically about "Cal Arts" there's a really good chance that they are some kind of internet chud and can be safely ignored.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Toby is being a big dummy by not going to HR first, but I am here for more weird dreams.