Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jabor posted:

Or you can just let the dust keep occupying an inventory slot with the idea of maybe doing that in the future eventually even though you know you'll never actually get around to it.

do not call me out like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jabor posted:

Or you can just let the dust keep occupying an inventory slot with the idea of maybe doing that in the future eventually even though you know you'll never actually get around to it.

This is the rudest fuckin thing I’ve read in the thread.

Don’t shame people.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I'm one item away from 3333 engravings. Just need a Crit/Swiftness neck with Spirit Aborption 2+ and Super Charge 3. That's not too specific, right? Even level 2 Spirit Absorption with a swiftness neck has made my Lone Knight gunlancer feel so much better to play, I'm fiending for that extra 7% movement/attack speed.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
recycle anything that isnt an epic or better perfect stone, roll them all once, recycle al the new junk stones you get and sell all the dust to the potion vendor

or just skip directly to the last step

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hi newb here. Is lost ark more like Diablo or more like FF XIV? I love Diablo style but am not interested in an actual MMO RPG. Also how much money do most folks feel they need to spend to have a good time? Thanks for any responses, they are appreciated.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

When does the racing and the other events go away?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Hi newb here. Is lost ark more like Diablo or more like FF XIV? I love Diablo style but am not interested in an actual MMO RPG. Also how much money do most folks feel they need to spend to have a good time? Thanks for any responses, they are appreciated.

It's an mmo. The combat and some of the endgame stuff can give diablo vibes, but it's not that similar imo. I think the however much a month it costs for the crystalline aura is all you need to spend to have a great time. I believe that it's 10 bucks, but you can also buy it with in-game currency fairly easily.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Mayveena posted:

It is definitely a mix of many playstyles. It is isometric view, so similar to Diablo - but the questing is pretty streamlined through the content areas. I haven't ever played FFXIV, so I can't really compare there. However, as former WoW and many other MMOs, it is more straightforward path type questing instead of open world, like WoW. At least until you hit 50, then things really open up with islands and the world feels big again. Sorry that comparison is probably not super helpful, but I will mention that the questing and story are a bit dry especially in the beginning zones.

As for spending, the crystalline aura is definitely worth it if you just want something cheap to get for $10 for a month. This gives you free travel and two extra bifrost points that can you around the world a little quicker and cheaper. I think the free travel is definitely worth is coming in as f2p at this point. It is basically the "subscription fee." If you have Amazon Prime, they are offering a free pack with 5 days of aura, a fancy mount, and some purple crystals.

Overall, you don't need to worry about spending much real money until you are level 50 and working on end game/leveling up your gear. Even then, spending money isn't required but can help get over a hump of a bad week of honing rolls. But, if you aren't someone who is really in a rush to get to that content at end game, there is SO MUCH other stuff you can do - adventure tomes, islands, collecting, achievements, life skills, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fadam posted:

When does the racing and the other events go away?

April 24 I think? And then around that time give or take a week or so, we should get the April content update.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

I haven't ever played FFXIV, so I can't really compare there.

The only thing they really share is that they both have an overarching storyline with very cinematic cutscenes and re-occurring characters. The story progression is pretty similar between the two games. Lost Ark takes a lot from FFXIV's story, which is part of why I think it's so popular.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Mayveena posted:

It is much closer to a MMO game than to a diablo game. The combat is diablo-esque but all the systems and grinds are more MMO. If you do not like MMOs you will probably not like lost ark

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks all. OK I'll get the $10 sub. Thing is for me to play I have to re-configure all the keys to my Tartarus which will be a major pain. But it sounds like it'll be worth doing as I need something new to play. Thanks again.

E: I *think* I'll be ok with the RPG stuff as long as it's not group oriented? I suffer from a lot of social anxiety and want to play something that doesn't involve interacting with folks so much.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mayveena posted:

E: I *think* I'll be ok with the RPG stuff as long as it's not group oriented? I suffer from a lot of social anxiety and want to play something that doesn't involve interacting with folks so much.
You can play most of the game & can progress solo. The group stuff is optional.

The stuff you can't do solo is the endgame raiding. It offers automated matchmaking where people usually don't talk beyond assigning roles. It's not required to progress but is super fun content.

It's definitely modern MMO in that it really caters to solo players.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 6, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The challenging endgame content is all small-group oriented, though at least for now it can all be done with a pick-up group of total strangers that never talk to each other and each go their own way afterwards.

Just a fair warning. I don't know exactly what you mean by "interacting". If you can handle fighting in the same instance as other people without needing to interact socially then there's probably plenty of game for you still, but if even that is too much then you might find that the content you're comfortable with dwindles pretty rapidly.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Thanks all. OK I'll get the $10 sub. Thing is for me to play I have to re-configure all the keys to my Tartarus which will be a major pain. But it sounds like it'll be worth doing as I need something new to play. Thanks again.

The campaign and all dungeons up to level 50 can be (and are designed to be) done solo. After that, you get an access to huge variety of various "endgame" activities you can do, some of which focus on solo play, while other focus on group content. Almost all of that group content can be done either by pushing "matchmaking" button or by arriving to the activity location, without a need to really interact with other players in any way other than playing besides them. There are endgame dungeons and raids ("Abyss dungeons" and "Abyss raids") that are group content with complex mechanics, where someone usually asks if everyone knows the mechanics and where you are expected to discuss who will take which position/role or who will interact with the mechanic that is necessary to beat the boss, but that's about it. The game tries really hard to remove any incentive to socialize with other players, to the point that it kinda bothers me.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 6, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm an old woman :) so I'm not that competent at these styles of games even though I love video gaming. What I don't want is a lot of criticism/without help or insults and nastiness. Yes I should get over it but at this point I want to have some fun and call it a day :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mayveena posted:

I'm an old woman :) so I'm not that competent at these styles of games even though I love video gaming. What I don't want is a lot of criticism/without help or insults and nastiness. Yes I should get over it but at this point I want to have some fun and call it a day :)

Well the groups are super quick and no one ever talks in them so you won't have that problem lol

You should also join our discord!

https://discord.gg/bRZbAxQH

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Mayveena posted:

This game also has a lot of side content which are all solo. End game activities like chaos dungeons and guardians can all be soloed. Its only the end game weekly dungeons that require a group. The upcoming raid stuff will be group only too. You can find a group with goons if you don't like matchmaking with randoms. I see goons set up runs every week on discord. The only other time you group up is doing random timed quests where people invite you to do it faster and then drop group with nothing said. Besides that there are lots of collectibles like random hidden mokoko seeds in every map you can search and pickup. There are like a hundred islands you can sail to and explore. The thing I enjoy most is just sailing to a random island and find out what is there and doing the island quest. You're able to talk to NPCs and raising your affinity with them to get rewards/story. You get a stronghold where you can build stuff and decorate. Its a very solo oriented MMO.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Mayveena posted:

Nah, not wanting to play with toxic jerks is a perfectly valid opinion to have. I think outside of the sweaty raiding stuff you won't hear people say much.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to us being given a game with literal years of content trickling out, there's plenty to do even solo that will eventually get you where you want to go. Worst case if you hit endgame and have to stop because you're just not looking to engage with the group content on the highest level, well, there was plenty you did along the way and that's OK.

And yeah, join the Discord.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Chocobo posted:

I'm one item away from 3333 engravings. Just need a Crit/Swiftness neck with Spirit Aborption 2+ and Super Charge 3. That's not too specific, right? Even level 2 Spirit Absorption with a swiftness neck has made my Lone Knight gunlancer feel so much better to play, I'm fiending for that extra 7% movement/attack speed.

Seems like overkill when we are getting relic accessories in a few weeks that will make all of that moot.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Zotix posted:

Seems like overkill when we are getting relic accessories in a few weeks that will make all of that moot.

Gonna guess closer to 1.5 months but yea, I wouldn't invest huge in legendary jewelry right now. A 3/3/3 setup is more than enough to beat Argos P3 and normal Valtan when he comes out and you can build that for extremely cheap.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

Gonna guess closer to 1.5 months but yea, I wouldn't invest huge in legendary jewelry right now. A 3/3/3 setup is more than enough to beat Argos P3 and normal Valtan when he comes out and you can build that for extremely cheap.
3/3/3 or 3/3/3/1 is also good enough for valtan hard. If support, 3/3/1 is good enough on bard (desperate salv/awakening/heavy armor 1).

Whether you'll get group invites or not I don't know. I might try to run 3/3/3/3 mayhem/master tenacity/grudge/keen blunt before valtan hard but I dunno, that would involve rolling stones. I'm currently 3/3/3 with no keen blunt & level 1 vital hit from just rolling random grudge stones I've found & self-found accessories.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, I have two different 3/3/3/1 setups for my GL right now depending if I feel comfortable with Grudge on the fight or not. Barricade/Stabilized Status/Grudge/Comabt Readiness, or I can swap out Grudge for Spirit Absorption. I like having the option to go without Grudge until I have seen the patterns a couple times and get an idea of which ones I can tank. I don't really plan on upgrading anything until relic jewelry becomes easily available and get some chances to roll relic stones to see what I end up with.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

holy poo poo achates is loving awful

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
All of the "hard" guardians are made extra hard because you only ever need to kill them once. So people playing alts tend to drop back down to an easier one if they are going to farm any and never do ones like Achates ever again. So you're stuck with people doing them for the first time still.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah I can't even fault anyone for that, really

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

just did achates twice in a row for the first time since doing him once on my main and having a bad time. both matchmaking runs were weirdly smooth despite everyone being around the right level. two deaths the first time, none the second, and i got battle item contribution for using 3 or 4 green pots.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Khorne posted:

It's definitely modern MMO in that it really caters to solo players.
This really can't be stressed enough. I have a bunch of friends who play this on the same server with me and I don't think any of us have ever grouped (because it's not very necessary).

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Zotix posted:

Fortunately I'm playing an unpopular spec (Lone Knight Gunlancer vs the Combat Readiness meta build) and it's only cost me a few thousand gold to gear out. No point half assing on a cheap kit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hefty posted:

just did achates twice in a row for the first time since doing him once on my main and having a bad time. both matchmaking runs were weirdly smooth despite everyone being around the right level. two deaths the first time, none the second, and i got battle item contribution for using 3 or 4 green pots.

Killing him with on-level folks doing him for the first time on that alt is likely going to be easier than killing him with random people way into the next tier that are still trying to kill him for the first time.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I absolutely could not get a Tytalos matchmaking kill at-level, and everything in the party finder was always a carry for gold, so I just didn't clear him until I was a bit into T2 and he literally could not kill me. The rest of the party still died. Achates was almost as bad but I got lucky and had a T3 Berserker in one of my groups. He (and everyone but me and a Sorceress) died too, but not before doing lots of damage. I think they're just way overboard for their placement in the game. Every T3 Guardian is easier.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
Getting the guardians to drop the galewind rune is annoying as gently caress.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm running a mage. Is there a way to cast spells and force my character to stay in place? I've forgotten what this is called but the lack of it is driving me nuts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know how to do that, but you can double tap a spell to cast ground target stuff rather then clicking with the mouse.

I just downloaded a small update but it looks like there's still no active login rewards? Are we still just in the grace period before a new one starts?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Xalidur posted:

I absolutely could not get a Tytalos matchmaking kill at-level, and everything in the party finder was always a carry for gold, so I just didn't clear him until I was a bit into T2 and he literally could not kill me. The rest of the party still died. Achates was almost as bad but I got lucky and had a T3 Berserker in one of my groups. He (and everyone but me and a Sorceress) died too, but not before doing lots of damage. I think they're just way overboard for their placement in the game. Every T3 Guardian is easier.

Tytalos was impossible for me to matchmake as well. I ended up just soloing it and having a much easier time. The game does a really bad job at teaching you mechanics. Especially when that mechanic is to survive a one shot with a very strict timer to get in. That was my problem with phantom palace as well with a very strict stagger check that if one person messes up the entire group is dead. Achates was much more fair because if you failed the mechanic all it does is get enraged. The first time I beat it we killed an enraged version. I've had groups that instantly disband when it goes enraged for some reason. Its not like its that much stronger anyways. The 4th boss of every tier seems to be on average much more difficult than the rest. Vertus, Tytalos, Achates, Aberhaustic.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Oxyclean posted:

I don't know how to do that, but you can double tap a spell to cast ground target stuff rather then clicking with the mouse.

I just downloaded a small update but it looks like there's still no active login rewards? Are we still just in the grace period before a new one starts?

Yeah I forget how many but I missed a few days and will get the last one tonight. There are only 25 this time and I think you have 30-31 days to get them, or maybe 28 at minimum.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I think it's deliberate to allow a few missed days of logins each month without getting screwed by the high value later rewards, which is nice.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For the Guardian Raids there's a quest line that actually teaches you the mechanics of each fight. But the quest marker doesn't tell you that the next quest in the line is available, you have to remember that the NPC says where she'll be waiting for you next and head there yourself (or just look at the next guardian on the board).

Unfortunately, said quest line is extremely poorly translated and gets things very wrong. IIRC for Tytalos, it says to petrify the boss to avoid the wipe attack. Probably some subject verb object order got lost in translation.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
The login rewards go until the 14th. There's ~2 weeks extra time so you don't have to log in every day