Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

100% of the dialog in Crystal Project is totally meaningless and absurd and it's usually just used as a throwaway riff or an easily-overlooked hint. I can't even say it breaks the 4th wall, because there is no 4th wall in it. I can't think of anything that was groan-worthy or that stands out as bad though, and I've lightly chuckled a few times
(I can't remember the specific jokes but I was wondering if it was goon-written at some point because there were a lot of jokes in a row that were pretty on the nose for SA style humor).

I think the "worst" I've seen it get so far (which I laughed at) was when I was exploring sewers under the capital city and found an exit hatch which took me to a hidden back alley behind the shops with a chest in it. There were also two NPCs, a warlock and a black mage, looking into each others' eyes, and one of them had the dialog "I take off your robe and wizard hat."

Gyoru posted:

the first one thankfully

you have child NPCs saying "it's lit" in the main hub city

That specific "It's lit!" line is part of a puzzle in a certain area and it's kind of meant to be dumb enough to stand out in your mind.

Actually that whole puzzle/section gives a good idea of the game's writing and sense of humor:

At some point you help out a child in the city and as a reward they ask if you want to join the "Secret Boomer Society" and give you the password.
Later on, you'll stumble across another kid in the sewers who says he's guarding the entrance to the Secret Boomer Society, and to enter he gives you a quiz - you're asked to answer 4 questions that are all based on things that kids throughout the city said.
One of the questions is "What is candy?" and the answer is "It's lit!" because there's a kid at the candy stall in the city yelling "I love candy! It's lit!"

When you answer all four questions correctly, you proceed through a dungeon that eventually takes you to a plateau above the city, and the Secret Boomer Society HQ is there.

Somewhat unexpectedly, the Secret Boomer Society is actually a secret society of old people, hence the name Secret Boomer Society - the kids were just the guards.
The joke also sort of plays back on itself because the route to get to the Secret Boomer Society, the small dungeon, was very vertical and involved lots of goofy platforming up a very long distance, and there's no way these sweet kindly grandmas and grandpas healing you and letting you change your name and loaning you their equipment could have made the trip.

It's not "great" or hilarious, but it's definitely not an edgy memefest like people are describing. There's enough nuance to its meme jokes to not be offensive (case in point: an NPC named "Dr. Cool Aids" was mentioned on the last page which I initially groaned at, but then I realized that "AIDS" was not capitalized and it was clearly a joke meant to make me think it was an AIDS joke, then look again and realize it was actually a misdirection hiding a Kool Aid joke :shrug:) and as far as I can tell the edgy meme-y bits (including that NPC's name) are explicitly meant to be parodies of edgy MMO players.

Edit: I made a post this long about it because all throughout the game I've been whimsically amused by the dialog and consistently impressed at both how deliberate the jokes are and how little they rely on their meme-adjacent subject matter to be the punchline, it's reserved for the setup instead - e.g. with the wizard and warlock, you first read "I take off your robe and wizard hat" and probably recognize that the actual line it's mimicking is "i take off my robe and wizard hat", which makes you initially think it's just a meme reference, but then realize that oh, wait, the people saying that are literally wearing robes and wizard hats, and we're in a secluded back alley behind the inn... that wasn't a meme reference, I just stumbled across two people cybering and the sudden realization of that is the actual joke here

Pretty much everything about this game's design screams "deliberate" to me (outside of some late-game balance stuff) and it's very clever about the way it uses things like that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Mordja posted:

Mods, namechange plz

“edgiest thing i remember” is a few characters too long. Shame

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

deep dish peat moss posted:

The entire world is so jam-packed full of little chests and there's so much verticality and random backtracking when you find a way to get one elevation tier higher that you pretty much end up stumbling your way across all of them eventually, and they're rarely hidden with camera tricks (except for in cases where standing somewhere that you'll be later will give you the correct perspective to see it). But the density you're experiencing there is pretty unique to the start of the game.

On one hand I would say that a feeling of needing the chests means you will love this game because that starting room's feeling is not indicative of the rest of the game and it scratches my "holy poo poo how do I get to that?" itch so hard, but on the other hand by the time you reach the capital everything is so wide-open and designed in cleverly interlocking ways that you will see tons of chests that you won't be able to reach until much later, sometimes even multiple areas further into the game. So you would have to learn to just run past chests you don't see an obvious way to and trust yourself to stumble back upon it later from a different angle.

Also this game owns, it scratches my RPG itches so hard :hellyeah: I finally got the Quintar Whistle and that has allowed me to go backtracking and reach a lot of the chests I couldn't before - like 8+ hours into the game. Octopath Traveler combat and visual style, FFT job system, and a game that rewards the hell out of being an ADHD nerd who bunnyhops through games and tries jumping on all the terrain. It's like it was made for me.

The main thing I will say about its exploration for anyone diving into it is: If there's a way to get on top of something, there's almost always a reward for being on top of it. I don't mean there's a chest on top of everything, but getting on top of some random tree will often allow you to hop across the tops of other trees and reach a platform that has loot and can be used to reach even more areas of the map. Use random scenery doodads to get up onto trees and then see where you can get from the top of the trees, etc. There is never a time in this game where you can execute a jump and then it doesn't lead to a reward of some kind. It really, really rewards that kind of "let's see if I can clip my way up this mountain with precise jumps" type of exploration.

e: I am not at all exaggerating by saying this game's world is laid out, interwoven, and physically tangible in a way that reminds me of Dark Souls 1 in all the best ways, and then it goes on to basically build an entire game around that exact concept.

Yeah, after playing a couple more hours it's really grown on me and I fully agree with everything in this post. I wish there were a few less instances of angle jumping than there are at the moment though! Also having all the tutorials in the capital, which you reach after an hour or two of gameplay, is a pretty bold but ingenious move - you don't need to worry with knowing the systems inside-out until the world opens up.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm pretty sure I missed a bunch of crystals but I barely squeaked by a boss around my level and had to use sleep/debuffs to win (level 39) which I never usually do in JRPGs (at least the ones I play) so the game definitely doesn't pull it's punches later on.

Some NPCs point you towards the intended progression but the lack of guidance (besides seeing red flames and knowing to avoid that area) can be irritating

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordja posted:

Mods, namechange plz

seriously? i can do this, if you like.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

zoux posted:

So can I kill younglings or not

When obi-wan was talking about Anakin killing younglings he was more impressed than disgusted

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

seriously? i can do this, if you like.

I kinda feel like you should regardless

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Having heard the explanation I think Dr. Kool AIDS is even better.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Det_no posted:

Not very. It's fairly close to the old Panzer General games so it's far more accessible than most.

Oh awesome! On the wishlist it goes... thanks :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I kinda feel like you should regardless

hmm, i like the cut of ur jib, I R SMART LIKE ROCK.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

sebmojo posted:

hmm, i like the cut of ur jib, I R SMART LIKE ROCK.

Well when you think about it they already requested it. :buddy:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just encountered a glitch in Lego Star Wars where the mission to speak with Maz in Episode VII just doesn't activate. Apparently this is happening to lots of people across a bunch of different episodes & missions. I love being a sucker

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hwurmp posted:

Just encountered a glitch in Lego Star Wars where the mission to speak with Maz in Episode VII just doesn't activate. Apparently this is happening to lots of people across a bunch of different episodes & missions. I love being a sucker

It's saving you from interacting with the sequels any further, be thankful.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

+1 for the GeForce Now leak being the real deal

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1512089029419810833

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidia-leaked-games-list-pc/

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I just beat Borderlands 3 and man did that game ever lose its algorithm when it came to damage scaling. I only played the base game, solo, did most but not all side missions, but by the end of the game almost everything died in one single shot -- but so did I. It was like a non stop game of exploding blood balloons followed by a FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE every two and a half seconds. Bosses died three words into their opening monologues.

Dumb game. Worst Borderlands. Had a couple moments, to be fair. The music kicked rear end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiV0oo7ZlH8
April 28th

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yes yes yes gimme please

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

credburn posted:

I just beat Borderlands 3 and man did that game ever lose its algorithm when it came to damage scaling. I only played the base game, solo, did most but not all side missions, but by the end of the game almost everything died in one single shot -- but so did I. It was like a non stop game of exploding blood balloons followed by a FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE every two and a half seconds. Bosses died three words into their opening monologues.

Dumb game. Worst Borderlands. Had a couple moments, to be fair. The music kicked rear end.

You must have got some pretty good legendaries.
My memory of BL3 of my first run (with Moze) was that it was just standard BL, there were bits that were loving hard (the first vault monster) to gently caress this Ill do this side missions and come back, to easy as poo poo for a while at the end.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey the Demeo PC edition came out today in early access, if you own the game on any platform you get a free copy of it on PC for in-or-out of VR. If you bought on Quest like I did it should be in your Library on the oculus PC app now, and you can launch it in flatscreen mode using the 3 dots next to the game in the library. Pretty slick! I see some great changes since the last time I played this too like the ability to play with friggin CPUs which was weirdly not an option before.

Edit: I meant to post this in the VR thread lol gently caress

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 7, 2022

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

credburn posted:

I'd rather have this than Bulletsponge bosses while i'm a 1-hit-kill wonder

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The rare bit of positive ActiBliz news

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1512103402569932803

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My guess is they’ll use this as a bargaining chip against unionization and then slash jobs by end of year

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The 7th Guest posted:

My guess is they’ll use this as a bargaining chip against unionization and then slash jobs by end of year

Hope the unionization still goes through but a big part behind declaring the intent to do so is to improve conditions like this. It's a W.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Tales from the Borderlands is the only good Borderlands game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hwurmp posted:

Just encountered a glitch in Lego Star Wars where the mission to speak with Maz in Episode VII just doesn't activate.
It's a good mission. For another time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I've heard nothing good about it, like it's basically a re-skin of RL1 but somehow worse.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I loved the first one, but I don't like the direction the art they went for in this one. I'm not a fan of pixel art, but it had its own charm. The cartoony stuff is just visual clutter.

e: I'll probably get it when it's on sale.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Givin posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is the only good Borderlands game.

:hmmyes:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

My dad wants a golf game. Is the current PGA game the standard/best? He asked for something that controls "like the Wii," are gyro/motion controls widely available for golf games now? Should I just give him my Wii and if so what's the best wii golf game?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

pentyne posted:

I've heard nothing good about it, like it's basically a re-skin of RL1 but somehow worse.

IMO it's better in basically every way except that the music is now kinda forgettable instead of a series of bangin' tracks (I miss you, Pistol Shrimp and Trilobyte).

It's harder than the original, which is kind of a mixed bag; I beat Rogue Legacy in about eight tries, so the complaints about grinding metaprogression and impossible enemies were way overblown... but that also means I didn't see quite a bit of the classes, skills, and equipment in the game. Rogue Legacy 2, meanwhile, might be harder stats-wise, but the enemies are definitely trickier and more complicated. The player abilities are a lot more varied, too, with more classes, spells, and abilities, and different weapons to equip... which means I'll very often die to being stupid-but-cool and trying to do poo poo that'll likely get me killed (but honing my skills long-term, depending on how stupid it is). All in all, I think Rogue Legacy 2 is pretty fun to gently caress around with, but if you didn't like the first because of the metaprogression, you definitely won't like the second, which uses basically the exact same system.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

My dad wants a golf game. Is the current PGA game the standard/best? He asked for something that controls "like the Wii," are gyro/motion controls widely available for golf games now? Should I just give him my Wii and if so what's the best wii golf game?

Switch is getting a Wii Sports type remake, with Golfing to come down the line.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chinatown detective agency is out (also on gamepass)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

chinatown detective agency is out (also on gamepass)

Oh gently caress

quote:

One of General Interactive Co.’s big inspirations in creating Chinatown Detective Agency is a detective-game legend: the iconic Carmen Sandiego series, which had a generation of players digging through attics for almanacs and encyclopedias and lurking in local libraries in search of her whereabouts.

One of Chinatown Detective Agency’s big gameplay hooks is that sometimes, when the clues run dry in Amira’s world, you’ll need to rely on real research in our own. In the era of the internet, that might mean looking up an airport code online to discover a character’s probable destination, or searching for the source of a quote today to lead you to answers in 2037 Singapore. You’ll need to be attentive, resourceful, and smart to succeed as a player — just like Amira in her own world.

That sounds good as hell

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

Hope the unionization still goes through but a big part behind declaring the intent to do so is to improve conditions like this. It's a W.

the union isn't even formed yet and it's already delivering the goods.

unions

are

good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah uh consider the rug pulled on that 'good news' from ABK

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1512137852318007305?s=21&t=WyNp7vnEmE61Qf2Zw8tIwQ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ah so they're gonna mass fire the unionizing team aren't they

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

yuup

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

just gonna raise my hand and admit i have no idea what legal games're being played, or even what the rules are, because i don't understand that conclusion at all :eng99:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not thinking anything more complicated than "hire the temps full time, fire the team that's unionizing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's just hand wringing and time wasting hoping to stall and dissuade the unionization. Doesn't rule out bad days ahead for the Raven union. If you're really thinking "you're replaceable" you drag it out on your terms to both maintain your current cost rate and make as many people angry at the union as possible, let the vote pass, immediately lock them out without a contract and hire back anybody who certified they left the union helpfully scabifying them for the foreseeable future, maybe with a small distracting raise, and fill the rest from your replaceable pool of labor.