Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zwille posted:

I get the feeling this is gonna be a pretty big model, the engine/transmission is huge already.

It is. While the engine and transmission of course is the central structure, it‘ll get way bigger. Though still super easy to display, imo. Perfect size, as you can put it into interesting angles without it requiring too much footprint (problem with the supercars in regard to showcases) or can just put it into a typical Billy-shelf and it still looks really good. I was a bit skeptical of it, and only got it to use VP points, but I had so much fun building it, and still have so much fun looking at it…it doesn‘t have the same „play features“ for adults as some other, especially powered Technic sets, which you sometimes just take from the shelf, power up, and fight the cat with, but it‘s still one of my favourite sets from the last few Technic waves.

E: also small note: the manual gear shift will need the tension from a later building step to work properly. I thought I might have made a mistake as it was hard to shift, but as soon as a the final resistance is on the powertrain, it should work butterly smooth. At least that was my experience.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
https://www.promobricks.de/lego-botanical-collection-2022-bilder/141555/

These two are nice for the botanicals thing. The succulents are a definite maybe for me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Scipiotik posted:

These two are nice for the botanicals thing. The succulents are a definite maybe for me.

I am such a sucker for these. :homebrew:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Orchids I could take or leave, the succulents are fantastic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tuo posted:

E: also small note: the manual gear shift will need the tension from a later building step to work properly. I thought I might have made a mistake as it was hard to shift, but as soon as a the final resistance is on the powertrain, it should work butterly smooth. At least that was my experience.

I also had that experience, I thought I had hosed something up.

Also! Never let a child play with it, they will immediately break the chain and then unspool it... it's a pain in the rear end to get back on there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
There an unofficial lego store in the mall here now, which is fine and cool because they sell retired sets, preowned sets, lots of minis, take trades, etc, but.. they sell new sets at like a 15% markup above everywhere else. Is this common practice? Not even necessarily out of stock stuff, just an across the board markup on everything. Trying to get a Bird of Paradise set for my wife for her birthday and they want $20 more for it than the toy store that's further down the road. Just seems weird, but I appreciate having access to mini's and older used sets.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Got an email that the Fiat 500 is back in stock on the site, I had already gotten it elsewhere though

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Fingers McLongDong posted:

There an unofficial lego store in the mall here now, which is fine and cool because they sell retired sets, preowned sets, lots of minis, take trades, etc, but.. they sell new sets at like a 15% markup above everywhere else. Is this common practice? Not even necessarily out of stock stuff, just an across the board markup on everything. Trying to get a Bird of Paradise set for my wife for her birthday and they want $20 more for it than the toy store that's further down the road. Just seems weird, but I appreciate having access to mini's and older used sets.

I assume just comes with them being gray market. I bet Lego doesn't want to sell them sets at wholesale since they are in the pre-owned business.

That markup is probably their margin and they're buying the sets from another store at retail just so they have some inventory.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is it Bricks & Minifigs? If so, they are good for finding missing parts in the bins. Other than that, don't give them your business. Everything is marked up massively. You'd think a retail establishment would understand they should sell for below Ebay prices but nope. They sell for higher. F them.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

'Helping'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What a beautiful helper.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Scipiotik posted:

10307 Eiffelturm 629,99€ 11/2022 :eyepop:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I‘m absolutely no minifig collector, but I need Waldorf & Statler.

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-71033-muppets-minifiguren-erste-bilder/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uhhh. Yeah I'm not into CMFs much but I want every drat one of those. That's probably the first time I'll want the whole series. I had no idea they were gonna do classic muppets stuff. And they all look great.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dogen posted:

Also! Never let a child play with it, they will immediately break the chain and then unspool it... it's a pain in the rear end to get back on there.

Also never let adults move big rear end sets around. I remember moving the Eclipse MoC into my office, and finding pieces of it on the way back. I more or less shrugged and thought „if I don‘t know where they go, I assume most people also won‘t“. That was before I learned the magic trick of wrapping big kits for moving (at least you then have a general idea where these greebles fell of from).

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Saw from a couple other folks that orders from Bricks and Pieces may take up to 2-3 months currently due to supply chain issues/transportation.

Lame, gonna be a while before I can finish this bakery, peasant hut, and church for my boy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The new botanicals made me cave and I bought the bonsai tree and flower bouquet.
PLus some roses and now I'm getting the Easter chikies.

Earlier in the year I also bought some pins so I could add these to the vse of the birds of paradise. What I'm saying is my office is going to have a huge garden come july.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Definitely getting the succulents. Also Statler and Waldorf, to add to a random balcony on my Ninjago City Gardens.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Prof. Dr. Honigtau Bunsenbrenner

lol

All those muppets look amazing

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yeah I've been planning to just order a whole set, while debating whether or not I need to bricklink the parts for that Muppet theater moc to display them all. I feel like I don't deserve more Lego until I can sort through the last local bulk bin I got.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

tuo posted:

I‘m absolutely no minifig collector, but I need Waldorf & Statler.

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-71033-muppets-minifiguren-erste-bilder/

These Muppet Legos aren't half bad!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

These Muppet Legos aren't half bad!

Sure, but they're not half good either. Dohohoho.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I think you'll probably burn yourself out on technic after a couple big builds. Buy some sets that cover the bases with lots of gears, differentials, linear actuators, springs, and pneumatics and you've pretty much got everything you're going to get out of Technic. In my opinion at least. The sets aren't as interesting to look at as a detailed Lego build, and there's only so much you can do with the set of mechanical things they have.

This might be the case, that's why I'm trying to stick to the bigger sets. I mentioned it earlier, but I built the bucket wheel excavator and it was pretty satisfying building the transmission and seeing how the shift levers directed power to different parts of the set. My only real complaint about it was that the slip clutches in mine were a little worn I think (I bought it used) (or maybe the set just doesn't function super great). I really enjoy the mechanisms, I do engineer-y stuff for a living and it's REALLY satisfying to do something that's well-documented, that you have all the parts for when you need them, and everything fits like its supposed to. The enjoyment of mechanisms and moving things is why I'm more attracted to Technic than other Lego stuff. I want do do some sort of big crane next, then maybe something with remote control or pneumatics.

Or the DeLorean.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna pick up the speed champions ferrari 512. debating whether I want the countach too.

so, we've got a countach, I'm sure there's an ambulance and 911 build. carbohydrates is probably a week away from dropping a 98% dimensionally accurate subaru srx build on the thread. how close are we, strategically, to achieving lego cannonball run?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

Sure, but they're not half good either. Dohohoho.

:stat::wal:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Does Stud.IO autosave?
I told it to render and It's become unresponsive. I was too dumb to save vr so if it doesn't this will make me start from step zero, unless it fixes itself.
E:
It does! Phew!
I took the St Bernard model as a base and made a Bernedoodle instead:

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 9, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I kept going!
Now he has a little puppy friend. More berner than doodle.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

boxen posted:

This might be the case, that's why I'm trying to stick to the bigger sets. I mentioned it earlier, but I built the bucket wheel excavator and it was pretty satisfying building the transmission and seeing how the shift levers directed power to different parts of the set. My only real complaint about it was that the slip clutches in mine were a little worn I think (I bought it used) (or maybe the set just doesn't function super great). I really enjoy the mechanisms, I do engineer-y stuff for a living and it's REALLY satisfying to do something that's well-documented, that you have all the parts for when you need them, and everything fits like its supposed to. The enjoyment of mechanisms and moving things is why I'm more attracted to Technic than other Lego stuff. I want do do some sort of big crane next, then maybe something with remote control or pneumatics.

I built the Bucket Excavator new out-of-the-box, and while the set definitely is impressive and actually one of my favourite technic sets of recent years, it definitely could have used a couple more parts to make it sturdier. I don‘t even think your slip clutches are worn. It‘s just that there is too much flex in the whole set to make all functions work perfectly. I had to modify mine for example to make the actual bucket wheel run smoothly.

It‘s still an awesome set with all the different functions, and just silly fun to make it gobble up the 1x1 round tiles and watching them beeing fetched until dumped into the truck.

That‘s something I really liked about the sets around that time, like the red crane. They gave you stuff to „play“ with…like the parts of a house you could lift around with the crane, or the small truck and rocks with the excavator.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Well the sign won out in the end. Also made the side stairs a little less bulky, and changed the alignment of the top disc in the tower. Published version:

Instructions here:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-102247/mattking4/downtown-diner-mini-modular/#details

I know this is a while back, but i just finished building this, and i want to thank you. Its so rad, and its the first like non-official lego project ive worked on, bricklinking the pieces and stuff. I was really drawn to it, because i love the diner, but i just missed it getting back into lego as it was being retired, and i havent had the heart to pay $350 for a set that retailed for 180. I spent enough on the mini version, maybe i should have just saved the money towards the big one. Either way, i really enjoyed the build, very clever, and im really happy about it, so thank you again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I see two copies right there tho

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Well that's it I'm sold on getting one of those little acrylic stands.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I had the exact same thought.

Was considering building one out of technic but I think an almost invisible aftermarket one looks way better. Which btw it's weird a Lego Store is using one of those.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I had the exact same thought.

Thirding this

Is on available yet?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 9, 2022

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've got clear stands for the bigger ships (falcon, slave 1) and they look great, I need to get some more. Much nicer than the black technic.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Lego Store had the Lunar Research Base on display, and that thing looks like it would be a lot of fun to have as a kid. Reminds me of the bases from Ice Planet and the other older space themes, with mini vehicles and accessories and transparent domes. But for some reason it's absurdly overpriced for the piece count.

Got myself a Tumbler though, and finally was able to find the Bonsai in stock.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
dang that's so great

someone at the lego store just did that?? made an informative themed lego license plate??

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Sivart13 posted:

dang that's so great

someone at the lego store just did that?? made an informative themed lego license plate??
Maybe bored and had the bricks on the PAB wall. I've seen a number of little employee-built doodads out of bits from the walls. Or, maybe one of 'em just made it at home and brought it in.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I had the goat boat in my bag at target and the self checkout thing was like "sorry can't sell until 4/26" and I've never been angrier in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I have gone into the deep end with this Lego business I think. The wife and I just started a few months back after not touching a brick in years. So far we've bought every botanical set, the globe, the chess set, ship in a bottle, the 4 available modular sets, and nearly every star wars set out aside from the UCS ships.

Then I found my old Legos at my mom's house and gave them to my 3 year old daughter - it's all the original space and castles. She took to them with way more interest than she ever had in duplo, it's amazing. We bought her every available friends set and gave her a few (rest are for Xmas/bday) and she's way into them. She can't follow the instructions but has me build them and then goes nuts just creating.

Personally, I just finished the Mos Eisley Cantina, loved it. It just barely fits on top of on of my shorter bookcases and just looks neat.

I'm eyeing the Ecto-1 while waiting for the Delorean to restock, but I'm disappointed that it's the" Afterlife" version and doesn't come with the original Ghostbusters as minifigs. Not a huge deal breaker I guess, but is it a decent build?

Although I do still have 3 more Star Wars helmets and the probe droid to build.