Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Adamancipator makes Baronne easily and also should be good in the upcoming synchro event. Probably one of the better combo decks in the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Right, Baronne. Oddly of all the decks I've played against I think I've seen her once, but funny she slipped my mind when she's a big deal.

Also, can someone help me understand the "when a monster would be Special Summoned" trigger (Solemn Strike, Generaider Nidhogg)? Half the time when I think it should work, it doesn't. Probably a case of missed timing or the way cards pay for cost and then pull things out - but I've lost a few games both on expecting it to work and it not, and also not trusting it to work and misplaying.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Is it the case that you're sometimes failing to negate a cards effect to special summon a monster and instead are waiting to negate the summon after the monster hits the field? Ie if someone uses poly to fuse, you need to negate the poly and not the fusion monster that gets summoned.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah, you can't Solemn Judgment a Fusion Summoned monster, for example

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah, it's cases like that - and that's what I was thinking. It's still confusing because the monster "would be summoned" but I'm sure there are semantics in there that mean "actually the summon is a result of the spell effect". In my brain it's still a special summon that would happen though, so it's confusing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is there a good version of Dark Magician decks anywhere because I keep facing them as I climb up silver and they all seem...very bad

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is there a good version of Dark Magician decks anywhere because I keep facing them as I climb up silver and they all seem...very bad
There are very good Dark Magician cards that get their best use in decks entirely unrelated to Dark Magician.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's just a lot of continuous s/ts that Do A Lot Of Things but they just all seem to die to just...Going in because they spent their whole gameplan making some lovely reoccurring beaters that enable some not-great destruction cards.

Aside again: I know I've said it but holy poo poo Feather storm is the dumbest loving card.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Zodack posted:

Yeah, it's cases like that - and that's what I was thinking. It's still confusing because the monster "would be summoned" but I'm sure there are semantics in there that mean "actually the summon is a result of the spell effect". In my brain it's still a special summon that would happen though, so it's confusing.

The thing to keep in mind is that you can't activate effects while a chain is resolving. A summon off of, say, Polymerization happens while Poly is resolving, so the only window you have to respond is when Poly itself is activated.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't believe they made a card called Linkross, with that card art, and it isn't a generic up down left right link 4.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's just a lot of continuous s/ts that Do A Lot Of Things but they just all seem to die to just...Going in
Duel_Monsters_Era_Legacy_Decks.txt

Blue Eyes at least builds around a garnet that's still a 3k beatstick.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/guides/dark-magician-guide-deruka

Scroll down if you just want to get to the decks, as it's a pretty comprehensive guide.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

girl dick energy posted:

Duel_Monsters_Era_Legacy_Decks.txt

Blue Eyes at least builds around a garnet that's still a 3k beatstick.

Blue-Eyes is a dragon which means it’s impossible for it to be truly bad. Dragon decks bottom out at ‘pretty decent’ at worst.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

'Make a bunch of 3k guys' is also just fundamentally a better plan that messing around with fragile continuous spells and a 2.5k monster, there are some number of games you'll win with brute force (especially with Skill Drain at 3).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also there's just amazing blue eyes retains and support. CHAOS MAX and jet and poo poo like that. All of dms additions are just...spam dm more and maybe banish 1 thing for it. And blue eyes spam also let's go go into rank 8 poo poo which is fun

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd say the main thing Dark Magician has over Blue-Eyes is that Eternal Soul is better than True Light, and they kinda have better ways to protect it.

It's still fairly easy to just beat their heads in if you get a monster stronger than 2800 Attack on the field, but if you don't then Dark Magician can be harder to out because of that.

lijmo
Mar 17, 2014
Eternal soul + dark magician the dragon Knight has given me issues in the past but think that's a mix of my deck being relatively slow and me being bad allows them to set up far more than they should

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

lijmo posted:

Eternal soul + dark magician the dragon Knight has given me issues in the past but think that's a mix of my deck being relatively slow and me being bad allows them to set up far more than they should

I find I have more trouble with Dark Magician than Blue-Eyes while playing Kozmo for this reason. If I can slam a Dark Destroyer on the field before they set up then they can't do a massive amount, but Kozmo isn't exactly blazing-fast, so if I don't draw some combo pieces that get me a quick Dark Destroyer, they'll be set up before I can, and if they're set up they can often choke me out of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'd say the main thing Dark Magician has over Blue-Eyes is that Eternal Soul is better than True Light, and they kinda have better ways to protect it.

It's still fairly easy to just beat their heads in if you get a monster stronger than 2800 Attack on the field, but if you don't then Dark Magician can be harder to out because of that.

Yeah but blue eyes doesn't really need true light to make plays and eternal soul seems very crucial to DMs playbook

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Eternal Soul and True Light are both poo poo and I’m going to keep waving this flag.

I still think it’s hilarious that Blue-Eyes support consists of an entire freaking cult while the Dark Magician’s key support is uh…a shirt and a stick. Good job guys, wank off Kaiba some more why don’t you. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The deck seems very sad with Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon banned.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The deck seems very sad with Red-Eyes Dark Dragoon banned.

Only in the OCG. It can probably come back as long as DPE is around, DPE way outclasses it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In theory the value of DM is being able to do things that aren’t making the biggest whitest dragon possible and smashing face.

The problem is all those things are awkward at best and big dumb punch is one of the strongest play styles in Yugioh for just getting over the line against a shocking number of decks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vandar posted:

Eternal Soul and True Light are both poo poo and I’m going to keep waving this flag.

I still think it’s hilarious that Blue-Eyes support consists of an entire freaking cult while the Dark Magician’s key support is uh…a shirt and a stick. Good job guys, wank off Kaiba some more why don’t you. :v:

I don't think eternal soul is good I think it's probably the best non-extra deck bit of support they've got

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 7, 2022

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vandar posted:

Good job guys, wank off Kaiba some more why don’t you. :v:

:v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kaiba refusing to stop running three vanilla beatsticks and that refusal carrying over into the modern archetype still makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is Dark Magician still not getting a (main deck) replacement for the original 2500 ATK nobody. Hell, in-lore, Dark Magician himself is a retrain, and he already has more new forms and outfits than Barbie. Just make an effect monster that always treats its name as Dark Magician already. :argh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They probably think it'd undermine the nostalgia value if you could cut the original monster. Plus Yugi was all about running terrible vanilla monsters

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I run Monarchs and I just can't beat Dark Magician for some ludicrous reason. Blue Eyes is really easy for me otoh

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
DM is tougher than Blue Eyes for me too. Most of those beatstick dragon doesn't have much destruction protection, so it's easy to wipe them off.

Dark Magician Girl seems to get more replacement upgrade than the main DM himself. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nyaa posted:

Dark Magician Girl seems to get more replacement upgrade than the main DM himself. :v:

Which is fine, because she's awesome and deserves it. :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

Only in the OCG. It can probably come back as long as DPE is around, DPE way outclasses it.

It really isn't a good idea to unban hosed up cards, even if there are other hosed up cards in the format.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dark Magician spawned a while archetype based on his support card that infinitely more fun and less poo poo than dm.

Magicians Girl so much better than DM.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

It really isn't a good idea to unban hosed up cards, even if there are other hosed up cards in the format.

Just ban verte and its fine.

Also ban Halqi. Bring back usable tuners please.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Just ban verte and its fine.

Also ban Halqi. Bring back usable tuners please.

Ban Verte, Dragoon, and either DPE itself or Fusion Destiny. All of them. E: Agreed on Halq.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dragoon isn't that good and is much worse without a free easily searchable fusion for it with Verte. To run it you'd either have to add another 2 garnets to get reliable searchers or just pray to top deck it. Banning Verte and Halqi fix many such issuesm

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Halqi's Firewall Dragon except with even less reason it hasn't been errata'd yet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Vandar posted:

Well, it was, these days Blue-Eyes is just Fusion and Ritual stuff with the cult kinda shoved under the rug.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Justin_Brett posted:

Well, it was, these days Blue-Eyes is just Fusion and Ritual stuff with the cult kinda shoved under the rug.

Were the Eyes of Blue cards even actively used back when they were new, aside from Sage and maybe Maiden?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Were the Eyes of Blue cards even actively used back when they were new, aside from Sage and maybe Maiden?
The 2016 World Champion deck ran 3 Sage and 2 Master.

Edit: That deck also mainboarded 2 Twin Twisters and 2 PWWB, which was an interesting meta call that apparently paid off.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The 2016 worlds are relevant to exactly nothing from the time because of how much they were stacking things in Blue-Eyes' favour.