Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok sure but what if they were pictures from the same angle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Oh, come on, that's a tactical marine on the left. They're already shorter than the existing plastic MkIIIs.

The Demilich posted:

Quick question, any idea if they upscaled the new plastic beakies? Think they might be a tall as at least the new 40k chaos figures?

Everything I've seen so far makes it look like they'll be about as tall as the current 40k Deathwatch Kill Team / new Chaos troops, which means they'll be slightly taller than the plastic MkIIIs and more visibly taller than the plastic MkIVs.

Comparing them to the current plastic 40k MkVII tacticals really exaggerates it, though. Those guys' legs are really short.

(The big difference is how bulky the plastic beakies appear to be. The plastic MkIVs are pretty slim, and the MkIIIs are thicker, but these guys look like they'll both be taller and chonkier than either, and the chonkiness is going to accentuate the height.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 7, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

God I prefer the new marines so much more than the old 'power squat' pose that makes them look like they're taking a dump

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I don't think the size difference is going to be as crazy as all these photoshop comparisons make it seem.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
I'm so hard for heresy that I also actually painted stuff:

And here is what the squad looks like so far:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, we really don't have much to go off of as the physical miniatures don't leak as easily as pdfs.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Well, we really don't have much to go off of as the physical miniatures don't leak as easily as pdfs.

I disagree, everything we need to know is right there, and we should embrace the upsizing.
https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1512145417932361733?s=20&t=XCMv99Nfrq6YTZqfWYU9xw

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Mango Polo posted:

I disagree, everything we need to know is right there, and we should embrace the upsizing.
https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/1512145417932361733?s=20&t=XCMv99Nfrq6YTZqfWYU9xw

Disgusting. I don't believe in cancel culture, but I have kids. I guess I'll go to Mantic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

28mm. 32mm hard.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Major Spag posted:

And here is what the squad looks like so far:

These are some great lads

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Has there been any talks / rumors about how this game is going to interact with the current Forge World HH stuff? Curious if it's going to be entirely separate or merged together or what.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Has there been any talks / rumors about how this game is going to interact with the current Forge World HH stuff? Curious if it's going to be entirely separate or merged together or what.

Seems like some of it’ll be in plastic but things like legion-specific upgrades and character series figures will stay resin, at least for now.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I spoke with one of the developers of the new edition yesterday and they commented that they’ve starting play testing the phase 1 rules the same time they were working on the last black book. And that all the phase one legion rules are busted as hell. So prepare for your army to suck rear end traitor players

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
My uncle at GW said that Ferrus Manus is back and has two heads

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hixson posted:

I spoke with one of the developers of the new edition yesterday and they commented that they’ve starting play testing the phase 1 rules the same time they were working on the last black book. And that all the phase one legion rules are busted as hell. So prepare for your army to suck rear end traitor players

Isn't play testing on phase 3 now though? At least the phase 3 rules are the ones that have leaked

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Count Thrashula posted:

Isn't play testing on phase 3 now though? At least the phase 3 rules are the ones that have leaked

Hixson is dumb and doesn’t know how to write; he meant they started phase one at the same time they were working on Book 9.

The latest phase is phase three, yeah.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh okay, so the phase one rules were bad. Okay cool I guess.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I meant exactly what I said

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Endman posted:

I’m dumb

Yeah I know

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh okay, so the phase one rules were bad. Okay cool I guess.

There are phase 1 traitor rules floating around too

Hixson fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 9, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I know it's absolutely not the focus on the setting but part of me kinda hopes they use this as a chance to introduce some other factions like rebellious planet militias or the weird Heresy-era xenos like Hrud and Lacrymole. I think there were even Orks kicking around back then right?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

My uncle at GW said that Ferrus Manus is back and has two heads

Didn't he always?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I painted some miniatures

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The lightning bolts on those are outstanding

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

rebellious planet militias or the weird Heresy-era xenos like Hrud and Lacrymole. I think there were even Orks kicking around back then right?

Rebellious Planetary Militias already have rules.

I wouldn't count on Hrud and Lactymole rules, outside of an expansion set in the Great Crusade Era, or after the Heresy during the Scouring.

Orks were one of the largest threats to the nascent Imperium of Man, but kicking their teeth in is what got Horus promoted to Warmaster in the first place, so they don't fit either.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Hixson posted:

I painted some miniatures

Absolutely beautiful models here. If I could paint like that, I'd be all over the Night Lord's

As it is, I can't settle on a traitor Legion to go with the reverse colour scheme Imperial Fist I've been steadily working on(Yellow being the accent and black being the main colour)

I thought I'd be pleased with Word Bearers, they are kinda the real "villain" and puppet master of the Horus Heresy, but I don't love the colour schemes I've seen floating around.
Death Guard are too numerous
World Eaters look sharp if done kinda clean but I'm already doing a tough colour scheme

Blah

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

As it is, I can't settle on a traitor Legion to go with the reverse colour scheme Imperial Fist I've been steadily working on(Yellow being the accent and black being the main colour)

SoH are often pretty heavy on black for trim/secondary color, if you're looking to tie them to your fists in some way. Plus, that pairing is going to be the focus legions for the new boxed set, so you can likely expect a little extra love.

Also, Sons of Horus absolutely gently caress in 1E and look to do so again in 2E.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 25, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Also Sons of Horus have by far the best color scheme :colbert:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I bought a Prospero box on the cheap and will be picking up the new box when it hits. So many mans. So many.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really hope the models in the new box are mostly legion agnostic

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

AnEdgelord posted:

From the looks of it, the characters are going to be semi-tied to their legions, but not excessively so. I imagine something far closer to the characters in Betrayal at Calth than the ones in Burning of Prospero.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

AnEdgelord posted:

Seems to be the case, if the new Praetor's anything to go by.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question is 30K, pretty much only Horus heresy, or do people occasionally re-create great crusade, solar reclamation, unification war battles? For some reason I find those periods very interesting and a cool way to do some different type of battles or settings then normal.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Some people paint their armies in pre-heresy color schemes but I don’t think I’ve heard of any real campaigns or anything. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’re out there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There are some people doing Thunder Warrior armies, but as far as rules go, it's fandexes all the way down.

Though you could argue that you can proxy that poo poo by using Militia (their build-a-bear nature serves well all the lavishly-named, but less-than-Hrud-detailed armies of Terran warlords) and maybe some of the Chimerae Blackshields (for Thunder Warriors).

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Is 40 marines enough for most space marine lists? Would grabbing two of the new boxes be ending up with a ton of extra bodies? Or is this largely dependent on the legion?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Deofuta posted:

Is 40 marines enough for most space marine lists? Would grabbing two of the new boxes be ending up with a ton of extra bodies? Or is this largely dependent on the legion?

Entirely dependent on legion, playstyle, and game type, but in general, 40 marine bodies seems woefully low, outside of an armored company or bike-themed list.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 28, 2022

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I don't know, as far as basic tacticals I don't usually have 40 in a list. Slapping heavy weapons or support weapons would eat up some bodies I guess.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
120 minimum

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

TTerrible posted:

120 minimum

For your Troops slots. Then another 120ish for the rest of the slots, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

This thread revels in pushing new people away with stupid joke answers to understandable questions.

40 tactical marines is more than enough; you probably won’t need or want that many depending on how you plan to play and at what points level.

If you play God’s Own Game Mode Zone Mortalis, you can only take units of up to 15 models anyway, so probably the most tactical marines you’ll take will be 30 (two maximum sized units).