Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

hot witch divorcee posted:

glad this thread saved a dog, that resolves the karmic debt and now playtime can be at appropriate times :yaycat:

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

out the loop on these (*and like I've said many times over, I'm dumb as hell) - Is Jackson covid + or are we (somewhat safely) assuming that Biden is by this point?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Congratulations to the new vice president of the supreme court :dementia:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

why can't Biden do this with Clarence Thomas instead

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Mar 4, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

actionjackson posted:

even though i'm a biostatistician I don't work with sensitivity and specificity stuff, i do survival analysis. are multiple tests on the same individual considered independent events? I would think not, but I'm wondering if you can do multiple tests to reduce the likelihood of false negatives, i.e. I would think it's more likely I'm negative the more tests that give that result (assuming all tests are negative of course).

No, they're not independent. False negatives often happen because it's too soon or too late for the virus levels to have peaked, but the person can still be contagious.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NeonPunk posted:

Speaking of, here's another superspreader event to keep track of

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeneps/status/1512133505152598024

this is, literally, how trump got covid

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

actionjackson posted:

even though i'm a biostatistician I don't work with sensitivity and specificity stuff, i do survival analysis. are multiple tests on the same individual considered independent events? I would think not, but I'm wondering if you can do multiple tests to reduce the likelihood of false negatives, i.e. I would think it's more likely I'm negative the more tests that give that result (assuming all tests are negative of course).
i’m not a statistician so i can’t be sure i’m answering your question but you’re basically describing the reason that rapid tests are meant to be used in succession even following a negative result. the instructions i’ve seen all say to do another test 24 hours after a negative to make more certain that’s actually the case

with that said the tests don’t seem to work well at all on picking up omicron or derivatives

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Joementum posted:

the funniest part of his presidency

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

nice to see him groping an adult for a change

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Relevant Tangent posted:

the funniest part of his presidency

hamburger party was funnier, but yeah, him getting covid is definitely up there

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Joementum posted:

there was also the 4 hour indoor maskless reception around the rose garden event iirc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I lie all the time about how much time it takes me to do things. It's how I get away with shitposting so much

I've spent the past two years posting here non-stop during work hours and I just got rated as a 'superior performer'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hot witch divorcee posted:

glad this thread saved a dog, that resolves the karmic debt and now playtime can be at appropriate times :yaycat:

lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

there was also the 4 hour indoor maskless reception around the rose garden event iirc
oh word?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've spent the past two years posting here non-stop during work hours and I just got rated as a 'superior performer'
lol :same: had a glowing review a few months ago
prior to my one-on-one i was shitposting, and immediately after, shitposting

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

when is she popping positive

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

what the gently caress

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Pelosi yesterday:

What you’ve got here is a basket of comorbidities

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

wtffff

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Get her on that bench immediately, so she can slay those other judges, yass

Preferably in a small room

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it owns, I have everybody convinced I'm forever busy and realistically I put in like maybe 3 hours of work a day. I'm just very, very quick and efficient at what I do and can get things done in half the time as other folks I know though I'm the only one in my company who does what I do, which helps.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Metric Skeleton posted:

i’m not a statistician so i can’t be sure i’m answering your question but you’re basically describing the reason that rapid tests are meant to be used in succession even following a negative result. the instructions i’ve seen all say to do another test 24 hours after a negative to make more certain that’s actually the case

with that said the tests don’t seem to work well at all on picking up omicron or derivatives

I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard of anyone I know IRL actually doing 2 rapid tests and whenever I suggested that one might not be enough it was met with a groan.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

fosborb posted:

what makes you think they won't do this too? cdc says it's ok now if everyone's vaccinated!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

greazeball posted:

covid should really be more of a team player

we need to look for a win win solution here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tmzjaN2DWc

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Had to go into the office today, was not negotiable.

IT guy is respirator crew. :respek:
Gal I trained to take over my old job: bare faced even though it's the one day of the week designated as mandatory mask day. Which is why I loving asked for this day if I had to come in.

But you know what? I just relaxed and did my job to the gentle rhythm of my Aura collapsing and expanding softly against my face with every perfectly sealed breath and chatted pleasantly with anyone who wandered by :blessed:

then I checked the thread and saw the $55 billion in COVID aid for restaurants and cracked my last ping

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Had to go into the office today, was not negotiable.

IT guy is respirator crew. :respek:
Gal I trained to take over my old job: bare faced even though it's the one day of the week designated as mandatory mask day. Which is why I loving asked for this day if I had to come in.

But you know what? I just relaxed and did my job to the gentle rhythm of my Aura collapsing and expanding softly against my face with every perfectly sealed breath and chatted pleasantly with anyone who wandered by :blessed:

then I checked the thread and saw the $55 billion in COVID aid for restaurants and cracked my last ping

mask Thursdays? lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

mask Thursdays? lmao

Tuesdays already claimed by Tacos

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can't emphasize enough - the you can lie post is great.

My husband just always says that im immunocompromised and he doesnt want to maim or kill me any time people ask him to do poo poo.

I while not officially diagnosed as immunocompromised have had pneumonia a few times and every resp infection fucks me for months so its close enough that I just say "yeah i would probably be hosed with covid"

Just lie. Find someone to lie about or stretch the truth as far as you can.

"Sorry I have to visit my mother in law frequently and she has heart problems and I can't be the person responsible for her death, imagine what that would do to my marriage!"

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think I already made this joke but just imagine the pressure on that lib RBG couple who are now married. You merked a lib hero and lost a supreme court seat for like 60 years, better not gently caress up and get a divorce EVER

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
been a while since anyone famous/important died of covid

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think I already made this joke but just imagine the pressure on that lib RBG couple who are now married. You merked a lib hero and lost a supreme court seat for like 60 years, better not gently caress up and get a divorce EVER

they don't give a flying gently caress, op

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I’ve kept my very elderly mom alive since this started by telling her to blame not being able to do stuff on me. I don’t give a rat’s rear end that her friends think I’m nuts. I do feel bad about her final years being like this, but at least she’s alive and I talk to her on the phone. She is starting to cave lately, because everyone else is ok and are doing things, even though a friend of hers son died in January from it and she hasn’t seen her neighbor since last fall because she came down with a terrible pneumonia after vacationing in Florida.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

mask Thursdays? lmao

Yeah dude. They're so proud of it too. They put up signs that say WELCOME TO THE MASKS OPTIONAL ZONE!! (except Thursdays)

lmao :unsmigghh:

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

been a while since anyone famous/important died of covid

$40 mil ain’t much I know

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

I can't emphasize enough - the you can lie post is great.

My husband just always says that im immunocompromised and he doesnt want to maim or kill me any time people ask him to do poo poo.

I while not officially diagnosed as immunocompromised have had pneumonia a few times and every resp infection fucks me for months so its close enough that I just say "yeah i would probably be hosed with covid"

Just lie. Find someone to lie about or stretch the truth as far as you can.

"Sorry I have to visit my mother in law frequently and she has heart problems and I can't be the person responsible for her death, imagine what that would do to my marriage!"

My lie is I'm that sommelier guy who's taking it super seriously because if he loses his sense of taste or smell his career is hosed.

I treasure my senses as much as he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1512145444859691009?s=20&t=1AZYQZwDMGWONQ4-PwDYzQ

lmao