Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I picked Ottomans because they're a great vertical slice of the game. You have a major power (don't know if they're a great power at start like in Vicky 2 or just a regional power) that's crumbling and in need of political and economic reform. It has core territory and vassal states vs colonies (depending on how Egypt is represented). It has a role to play in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and potentially India. It has a variety of cultures and religions to deal with. It has an army that it will likely need to use.

The only features it probably doesn't cover are the naval game, China, and immigration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ottomans also have a strait, and potentially a canal

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah, the Ottomans were my pick there too, they should show off a lot of mechanics well.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cantorsdust posted:

The only features it probably doesn't cover are the naval game, China, and immigration.

The Ottomans traditionally had a strong navy which declined as their Empire declined - in an alt-history where this decline does not happen, their Navy could play a major role, especially given their central location between Europe and Asia.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

The Ottomans traditionally had a strong navy which declined as their Empire declined - in an alt-history where this decline does not happen, their Navy could play a major role, especially given their central location between Europe and Asia.

Especially if the Suez Canal is part of the game!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Speaking of the Ottomans,
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1511705293339701255

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

all these mexico haters are noted

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i know they just booted up a test build for a screenshot but i like the idea that something happened in the past month that changed a perfectly placid nation into having 7% of the country agitating for its overthrow in under 30 days

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Maybe someone invented telephones and now the whole country can't live without them.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Ugh, I really hope that Radicals means something more meaningful than in Vic2.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Just means they invented skateboards 160 years early

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

idhrendur posted:

Ugh, I really hope that Radicals means something more meaningful than in Vic2.

I think there was a dev diary that talked about it. Iirc it basically means people willing to use violence for polical goals. The more you have the closer you are to entering the cool zone

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Agean90 posted:

I think there was a dev diary that talked about it. Iirc it basically means people willing to use violence for polical goals. The more you have the closer you are to entering the cool zone

But different kinds of radicals shouldn't work together, right?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Party In My Diapee posted:

Different kinds of radicals should work together, right up until they have a shot at taking power for themselves. Then the daggers come out.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Depends? The Mexican Revolution had all sorts of rebel groups with different goals, but the sum of their efforts was broadly anti-government, as it would be perceived by a Victoria 3 player who was playing Mexico during that time period. In the sense of absolute% of "radicals" increasing instability/bad "events" (literally, in the case of the game), they probably should be considered as a whole.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gort posted:

Different kinds of radicals should work together, right up until they have a shot at taking power for themselves. Then the daggers come out.

It's this. Xref waves at all revolutions in the past 250 years

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

If this game can accurately model the way the Mexican Revolution played out as a series of civil wars linked by revolt, assassination, insane foreign meddling etc.. well, that’s a dream game. Of course, the same sort of system would be needed for 1848 and 1871 situations. I hope it’s robust

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Free radicals aren't dangerous because they work well together, but because they can influence those around them and cause a kind of chain reaction of radicalization.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Agean90 posted:

That's right, I completely forgot. Too busy having flashbacks to trying to make Vic2 radicals convert to HoI4, then having to support my bad choices forever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gort posted:

Eh, to a degree. Though mostly in the sense that that's how it's perceived by the status quo, as they all work together to overturn the existing order. Less "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and more "my enemies are all friends! :(!" from the perspective of the people in charge.

eXXon posted:

Free radicals aren't dangerous because they work well together, but because they can influence those around them and cause a kind of chain reaction of radicalization.
And because you can't necessarily defeat them in detail if they all end up rising up essentially at the same time. If you end up having a civil war, especially later on in the game, it probably should result in a clusterfuck of factions all duking it out at once. This would make revolutions/civil wars more of a threat to the player, while also helping to make sure that they're likely not going to drag on forever, a paroxysm of violence rather than the near eternal instability of V2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1512098121953648641

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I love the way they've distinguished between populist uprisings (driven by the mass radicalism of pops) and power plays by the elite (driven by discontent among high-clout interest groups). That's a really elegant design.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Not sure how I feel about a revolution always having to end with one country getting annexed. Sure, don't make an option right away, but if you end up in a stalemate for years then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have a country split up.

At the very least enable it in cases where there has ended up being a clear cultural/religious divide between the loyalist and revolutionary forces, which both internally and externally causes people to consider the two as separate countries.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The best real world example of that is South and North Korea and on paper they've been at war this whole time.

———

I love the aside about the government potentially hitting a brick wall in the event of the revolutionaries controlling the paper mills. Good luck running those Loyalist forces with a bureaucracy running on nothing but bits of drywall and the backs of old receipts.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
They titled the next dev diary "civil wars: cultural secessions" so I think that'll cover more of the cultural divide kind of thing. The revolutions described in the dev diary seem entirely political minded, and stalemating there seems like it'd just result in the movement losing support and just dying out/being reabsorbed anyway. But if I had to guess I'd say the main reason is for gameplay concessions. For a lot of countries if you lose half/a significant portion of your country the game is basically over there. Neither country left would have enough power to do anything real and it just wouldn't be fun (for most people). Sure there's exceptions, but there might be some systems built in for that.

Edit: I think also that it's because the second country wouldn't align to any existing ones, so you'd end up potentially with the map covered in a bunch of dynamic nations. Which are kind of eh. I imagine with cultural rebellions you can more easily do the stalemate stuff, because then if they become independent it just turns into the CSA or Occitania or whatever. But political revolutions don't necessary cover any specific map boundaries or cultural pops.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 7, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it also makes sense to avoid the weird scenario where a revolutionary splinter nation breaks off, both sides white peace out, and then they end up best friends because oh they both share common primary cultures and have all these trade goods the other nation needs. I mean sure it's not entirely historically unprecedented, the UK gets along pretty well with the US after all, but it's probably something that would be pretty unrealistic within the relatively short time span of Vicky 3.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zeron posted:

Edit: I think also that it's because the second country wouldn't align to any existing ones, so you'd end up potentially with the map covered in a bunch of dynamic nations. Which are kind of eh. I imagine with cultural rebellions you can more easily do the stalemate stuff, because then if they become independent it just turns into the CSA or Occitania or whatever. But political revolutions don't necessary cover any specific map boundaries or cultural pops.
Well that's kind of wonky because what made the CSA correspond to a cultural group? They basically had to put a cultural group in that matches the CSA to kind of hack the US Civil War into the game. Other US regions could be considered just as culturally distinct. Do they have a culture group for New England, for instance?

The CSA revolted for exactly the political and material reasons the game models for revolutions. They weren't reclaiming the Dixie homeland, they just wanted to preserve their political institutions. They just knew that, as an interest group with only minority, regional power base, they couldn't realistically aim to overthrow the whole country.

If you have a communist revolution in the US centered around an arbitrary industrialized region, with similar dynamics, why wouldn't they shoot for succession? Like, somehow you nationally expand slavery or something and concentrate on making agrarian/aristocratic interest groups influential, but you heavily industrialize an arbitrary region where people become wealthy and powerful in some ways but aren't represented by the national government, it would make sense to have a civil war with a succession goal for reasons mirroring the historical US Civil War.

I'm not sure it would make a ton of sense outside of the US, but the US especially in this time period has only a little history and a lot of land, so it doesn't make sense to limit succession to certain culture groups (if that's indeed how they're going to do it).

Eiba fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2022

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Poll Tweet:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1512114589621751811
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1512115258407768064

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Even in that case it still sounds like the best solution would be to add an FSA or something to represent that. But also realistically there was little chance that the US Civil War would end with 2 independent states. If the CSA had somehow won, the federal US government wouldn't exactly have lasted long in it's current state (tbf, the CSA either likely). But also the entire reason the CSA was a thing was that it's political goals were also tied to cultural differences. Lack of political representation for what V2 labeled Dixie culture etc.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 7, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Disappointed it wasn't Mexico but OE should be good. I, like any correct thinking person, voted for the Modernizers. Country has gotta have more trains

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Takanago posted:

Poll Tweet:
I want to strategically vote for not restoring imperial glory. Going through an age of amazing changes and upheavals with the goal of not changing and just doing the old things harder is boring. Which of the other two are doing better?

Zeron posted:

Even in that case it still sounds like the best solution would be to add an FSA or something to represent that. But also realistically there was little chance that the US Civil War would end with 2 independent states. If the CSA had somehow won, the federal US government wouldn't exactly have lasted long in it's current state. But also the entire reason the CSA was a thing was that it's political goals were also tied to cultural differences. Lack of political representation for what V2 labeled Dixie culture etc.
Except it really wasn't anything to do with Dixie culture, whatever that means. It was about the political/economic institution of slavery. It was very much about certain interest groups (in Vic3 terms) feeling unrepresented, not certain culture groups. I mean, heck, even within "Dixie" culture, it wasn't the common folks who were upset at not being represented, it was the slave holding aristocrats specifically.

Ending in a lot more than two states would also be cool and good, incidentally. My favorite game of Victoria 2 was one where the US utterly fell apart after losing the Civil War, leaving each state its own country for the most part. I played New England with my main rival being the CSA. Both of us were great powers competing to get all the other states in our spheres of influence. It was great.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

The best real world example of that is South and North Korea and on paper they've been at war this whole time.
On paper. I very much doubt the current state of war would be a war in the game.

Zeron posted:

They titled the next dev diary "civil wars: cultural secessions" so I think that'll cover more of the cultural divide kind of thing. The revolutions described in the dev diary seem entirely political minded, and stalemating there seems like it'd just result in the movement losing support and just dying out/being reabsorbed anyway.
Not sure why? A stalemate means the two sides being evenly matched.

Zeron posted:

That's why I suggested allowing it for at least clearly culturally different groups, though I would amend that to just being about whether the revolution controls most of the territory of a releasable/formable state. If a revolution in Germany ends up stalemating, with one side controlling northern Germany and the other southern Germany, then just let the revolutionary one call itself Prussia/Bavaria/Austria as appropriate. Just add enough balkanization tags for countries like the US so it's not limited to just the CSA. They can still keep claims on each other, but a more permanent division should be a possibility.

Zeron posted:

Even in that case it still sounds like the best solution would be to add an FSA or something to represent that. But also realistically there was little chance that the US Civil War would end with 2 independent states. If the CSA had somehow won, the federal US government wouldn't exactly have lasted long in it's current state (tbf, the CSA either likely). But also the entire reason the CSA was a thing was that it's political goals were also tied to cultural differences. Lack of political representation for what V2 labeled Dixie culture etc.
Given how much freedom the games have otherwise, I feel like the realism argument is a bit weak. It would be a lot cooler if ideological balkanization is a possibility, so Paradox really should include it. The opposite too should also be a thing, where cultural secessionist can be pulled into another ideological position by their pops as well as foreign interference, like aligning with the ideological rivals of their former overlord just to increase their chances of independence.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Eiba posted:

I want to strategically vote for not restoring imperial glory. Going through an age of amazing changes and upheavals with the goal of not changing and just doing the old things harder is boring. Which of the other two are doing better?

Modernizing is in the lead currently. Imperial glory is in 3rd place.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think restoring imperial glory is the least interesting option considering how nothing war is in Vicky 3

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That's exactly why I want him to war, I want to see how it actually works out in practice.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think restoring imperial glory is the least interesting option considering how nothing war is in Vicky 3
Well, even though I don't want to see it, the domestic issues involved with resisting modernization are going to be a somewhat interesting thing, I'd think. Trying to figure out what innovations will shore up your power and which are too dangerous and destabilizing will be an interesting challenge.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I think the lesson of history (certainly during the time portrayed) is that modernizing/industrializing is how one achieves imperial glory in the first place. Fancy uniforms and winged hussars < feldgrau unifroms and maxim guns.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

From Lachek in the thread replies:

quote:

On the topic of the ACW and CSA, we consider this a special case that shares elements of both Revolution and Secession mechanics. We'll cover this more later on, but it has not been forgotten about or misrepresented within these Revolution mechanics.

Unclear if that means there are some additional considerations in the mechanic, or if they just have specific content for the ACW. But he also says that barring special cases, a normal Revolution does end in one side or the other taking control of the county since that's the usual historical outcome which they aim to model.

Ed: Also, multi-sided revolutions are not in right now, but maybe later. The problem is that Revolutions use the Diplomatic Plays system, and Diplo Plays fundamentally involve two sides.

Fray fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2022

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I voted for multiethnic republic. The New Colossus of Constantinople!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I wonder if there'll be a mechanic for revolutionary waves too, or at least some content like journal entries for an 1848-style event

Edit: it does seem like there are some factors that could cause a wave of revolutions even without a specific mechanic, like a continental economic crisis causing widespread radicalization

Magissima fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2022