Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Cookie Cutter posted:

I don't doubt this at all but is there a good source for this info on the guy?

Reddit, but https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldAndBaldrDossier/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

feedmegin posted:

What? This thread was over the loving moon in 2017, we expected 2019 and instead May got wrekt. We even got drunk happy Pissflaps.

Yeah, 2017 was fantastic

2019, I knew we were gonna lose - it was just the sheer scale of it that broke me in two. A fighting retreat I could work with. A rout and a landslide was everything our enemies could ever have asked for, and was the nail in the coffin for left wing politics for good.

Also, if y'all wanna watch people travelling around Europe who aren't posh or rapists, gonna give another shout out to my boi 1bike1world (and his cat Nala)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

fuctifino posted:

Not gonna lie, but the little chocolate eggs my friend's rabbit used to produce tasted like poo poo compared to Cadburys.

promoting breakfast caecotrophy smh

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

No, they're what goes into garibaldi biscuits (the worst biscuit)

We always called those Flies' graveyards.
Are you telling me it was rabbit poop not dead flies all that time?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

What? This thread was over the loving moon in 2017, we expected 2019 and instead May got wrekt. We even got drunk happy Pissflaps.

Hmmmm. Maybe it was the Brexit referendum then. That was a miserable night. There was definitely one election night that put an end to almost all of my drinking

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of Easter eggs, I have been wondering about the economics of them. Specifically, why do they get put out so early? There are literally eggs on the shelves on New Years' Day. Why is this? Supermarket shelving is valuable, yet not only have I never heard of anyone I know ever buying an Easter egg well before Easter, I've also never seen it, and in fact I can't remember even seeing a gap on those shelves suggesting that someone did buy one. Every year, there's shelf after shelf of pristine, untouched eggs taking up space that could be filled with other things people want to buy, for months. I'm not one of those people who complains at "Easter getting earlier every year," I just don't understand the financial reason for it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We always called those Flies' graveyards.
Are you telling me it was rabbit poop not dead flies all that time?

No.

This is a fly's graveyard.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What the actual gently caress

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

crippling the working population for profit(??)
One of the most popular theories about the fall of mesoamerican cultures like the Maya [is/was*] that the society could not support the sheer number of artists, military, nobles and priests living in the cities with the dwindling peasant stock desperately trying to farm a slowly draining water table. And the ruling caste's solution to this appeared to be to sacrifice more and more farmers, assuming that the gods would fix it and never looking at the top-heavy resource imbalance in their society.

I think about that a lot.

So the problem kept getting worse and worse, until either: the peasants stormed the cities and killed everyone then diversified into seperate farming communities; or alternatively, the farmers all hosed off elsewhere leaving the people in the cities to massacre each other over the remaining scraps of food and power.

* I vaguely remember it from school, so it's probably since been proven wrong or hideously oversimplified.

Barry Foster posted:

2019, I knew we were gonna lose - it was just the sheer scale of it that broke me in two. A fighting retreat I could work with. A rout and a landslide was everything our enemies could ever have asked for, and was the nail in the coffin for left wing politics for good.
The thing that gets me, and continues to get me, is the continued smugness over a 'victory' that you can only see as a victory if you're completely and totally wrong about everything. It's like Riley from TF put it, someone condenscendingly reading to you from a book they're holding upside down.

It's not enough that they won, that they destroyed Corbyn, and that they blackened his name; they have to keep flogging the corpse over and over, and they're so frenetically focused on wiping out the remains, they're missing all of the actual, genuinely evil poo poo the tories are doing in the meantime.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Double post

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Speaking of Easter eggs, I have been wondering about the economics of them. Specifically, why do they get put out so early? There are literally eggs on the shelves on New Years' Day. Why is this? Supermarket shelving is valuable, yet not only have I never heard of anyone I know ever buying an Easter egg well before Easter, I've also never seen it, and in fact I can't remember even seeing a gap on those shelves suggesting that someone did buy one. Every year, there's shelf after shelf of pristine, untouched eggs taking up space that could be filled with other things people want to buy, for months. I'm not one of those people who complains at "Easter getting earlier every year," I just don't understand the financial reason for it.

They went up very early this year to fill out otherwise-empty shelf space left by the Christmas displays because there was gently caress-all else to put out, and also because a lot of shops had excess stock left over from last year.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One of the most popular theories about the fall of mesoamerican cultures like the Maya [is/was*] that the society could not support the sheer number of artists, military, nobles and priests living in the cities with the dwindling peasant stock desperately trying to farm a slowly draining water table. And the ruling caste's solution to this appeared to be to sacrifice more and more farmers, assuming that the gods would fix it and never looking at the top-heavy resource imbalance in their society.

So the problem kept getting worse and worse, until either: the peasants stormed the cities and killed everyone then diversified into seperate farming communities; or alternatively, the farmers all hosed off elsewhere leaving the people in the cities to massacre each other over the remaining scraps of food and power.

* I vaguely remember it from school, so it's probably since been proven wrong or hideously oversimplified.

The thing that gets me, and continues to get me, is the continued smugness over a 'victory' that you can only see as a victory if you're completely and totally wrong about everything. It's like Riley from TF put it, someone condenscendingly reading to you from a book they're holding upside down.

It's not enough that they won, that they destroyed Corbyn, and that they blackened his name; they have to keep flogging the corpse over and over, and they're so frenetically focused on wiping out the remains, they're missing all of the actual, genuinely evil poo poo the tories are doing in the meantime.

:hai:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't know about new year, but my experience in small-scale retail at least was that seasonal stuff (Christmas especially) gets put out months in advance because it takes so long to receive the delivery, check the delivery, organise, price, and merchandise it. I could also say that for every person complaining about how early it was for X, I saw 5 people browsing and buying stuff from the display. I don't know how much that applies to large-scale retail like supermarkets, with just-in-time deliveries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That sounds like it might be, but it's not an uncommon situation I think, a lot of cities end up like that especially pre-crop rotation, iirc it may have been a problem for Rome. You can get problems like deforestation and overgrazing turning farmland into desert, or even just empires losing territory until they no longer have the resources to feed and maintain the seat of power.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They went up very early this year to fill out otherwise-empty shelf space left by the Christmas displays because there was gently caress-all else to put out, and also because a lot of shops had excess stock left over from last year.

Nah, this has been going on for many years, it's definitely not just because of a situation recently.

mrpwase posted:

I don't know about new year, but my experience in small-scale retail at least was that seasonal stuff (Christmas especially) gets put out months in advance because it takes so long to receive the delivery, check the delivery, organise, price, and merchandise it. I could also say that for every person complaining about how early it was for X, I saw 5 people browsing and buying stuff from the display. I don't know how much that applies to large-scale retail like supermarkets, with just-in-time deliveries.

I don't know, Christmas is a whole season. For supermarkets most of the Christmas stuff is party food, etc. It's easy to imagine a ramping up of family gatherings and parties that could necessitate buying a massive tub of Twiglets for a while before the big day. Meanwhile, only an absolute loon would buy an Easter egg in January.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The knock on of this is that the whole length of the m275 has tailbacks

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

Jo Swinson's cringey easter packaging crusade

She soooort of has a point about waste packaging of easter eggs BUT the majority of is it cardboard, which is like, one of the most efficiently and consistently recycled materials, plus the foil is both an actual minuscule amount of material and likely to be recycled.

The plastics are the main problem as I think it's estimated that only actually 10% of plastic that goes into recycling bins is actually recycled these days.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

LIDL is selling those giant wearable blankets for £12.99 if anyone wants to grab one. I just grabbed one for the wife to be and she’s loving it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

kids nursery is putting fees up 10%, on top of everything else going up somethings going to have to give in the old personal budget

:rip: fancy beer fund

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just tell the kids, no more avacado toast.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds like it might be, but it's not an uncommon situation I think, a lot of cities end up like that especially pre-crop rotation, iirc it may have been a problem for Rome. You can get problems like deforestation and overgrazing turning farmland into desert, or even just empires losing territory until they no longer have the resources to feed and maintain the seat of power.
The Maya specifically had problems because of the weird water table though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP54LFFSZ1Q

(Apologies for John Green but they get to the relevant bit from about 2:24 to 6:40)

The part I'm not sure about (and I don't want to get racist by conflating south/meso-american civilisations) is the fall, which I remember being a case of a series of droughts, which the lords failed to do anything about and instead just sacrificed more peasants, i.e. the farmers and labourers who could have actually done something about the lack of food and water.

Like how now, when money number is sad, the CEOS at the top fire 500 minimum wage workers instead of one dickhead taking 500x minimum wage, and then wonder why productivity has taken a hit. We sacrificed workers for you, number! What else are we supposed to do, all I have is this button marked 'fire worker!'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What else are we supposed to do, all I have is this button marked 'fire worker!'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The best easter eggs were the ones that you got with a mug.
As a kid it wasn't the biggest ones we wanted, as we know its a hollow egg and know it would be mostly empty. It would be the mug that you could call your own.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lib dems have plenty of those too :dadjoke:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

(Apologies for John Green but they get to the relevant bit from about 2:24 to 6:40)

What's wrong with John Green? I like Crash Course and also his books :ohdear:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I work in CEO

Chief Executive Optimisation

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Mostly his heart seems to be in the right place but I'm aware large swathes of the internet find him cringe. He also seems a little more 'the problems are bad but the causes are good' than Hank.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

sebzilla posted:

Liverpool fan apparently

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Aldo94822596/status/1512137258434023426

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wrong thread

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dead Goon posted:

The local Facebook groups have been full of fuel panic posts for the last 4-5 days. The local Facebook groups are also full of loving idiots.

I was going to ask if anyone had noticed diesel shortages. A few of the supermarkets have run out by me, but they are nearly 10p cheaper than the proper garages.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

Even more embarrassing that it's e.On, who are by a long way the biggest pain in the arse of any energy supplier.

They just essentially scammed me out of another £1.58, second time this month.

It's only £1.58 I just went eh and paid it, much less hassle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's that time of year again...

On this note, this week stella artois are advertising beer for easter, so therefore beer is more christian than eggs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was first made right next to a church in the 1300s, which sounds more like the kind of place you'd expect to find Christian activity than a chicken's cloaca (however I have read things about bishops in those days).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I removed a transphobic sticker from a lamp post, that's my quotum of political activity for the month filled (beside shitposting)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It was first made right next to a church in the 1300s, which sounds more like the kind of place you'd expect to find Christian activity than a chicken's cloaca (however I have read things about bishops in those days).

Not until the 1800s.

This post made by mary bateman gang.

E: holy poo poo the best wikipedia page:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Not until the 1800s.

Huh, I've been to the Lamb & Flag which according to Wikipedia is the building where she lived! It's also right next to a church soooo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Not until the 1800s.

These days, if you say you're dead, they'll throw you in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm sure we've been over this before but has the easter egg packaging *ever* said "easter" on it? Like I've only ever remembered seeing "Smarties egg" or whatever.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs have never said "easter" on them as far as I know? The advertising, like, TV ads, sometimes say "This easter enjoy a [egg]" or whatever but generally not the packaging itself.

Here's one from Pinterest "probably 1960s":

Doesn't say "Easter" on it.

Here's a Creme Egg add from 1987 - doesn't say it on the packaging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WkTj5A-VyI

Like, they're clearly loving easter eggs that come out around easter.

Fake edit: I have just looked at a bunch of 1960s and 70s easter egg packaging. Mostly it does not say "easter egg" but something like a third to a half of the ones I looked at say "Happy Easter" somewhere on the packaging.

HOWEVER:

Look what I just found on the Cadbury's website:

ZOOM! ENHANCE!

"ULTIMATE EASTER EGG"

And in fact if you look it seems to have the word "Easter" in the same approx position on about half of its big eggs.

Also Cadbury's are selling a chocolate "Easter Cottage Kit": https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/cadbury-dairy-milk-easter-cottage-kit.html

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 7, 2022