Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm able to watch more Astros games this way, since Charter doesn't have a deal to carry AT&T SportsNet Southwest for some loving reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah MLB needs desperately to reach a younger audience and while streaming is the way to do it, it's like they found the most absolutely splintered way to offer it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
All the kids have Peacock Premium. Can't get enough of it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

zakharov posted:

All the kids have Peacock Premium. Can't get enough of it.

Premier League fans have it, and Premier League fans probably skew about 20 years younger than MLB fans.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Will this change the broadcast teams doing commentary on games? Or will they just push the regular teams onto whatever platform it is that day?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Will this change the broadcast teams doing commentary on games? Or will they just push the regular teams onto whatever platform it is that day?

Apple and Peacock have their own crews.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

R.D. Mangles posted:

Apple and Peacock have their own crews.

:negative: gently caress that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just a heads up, if you have TMobile you can get MLB.tv for free.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
half the reason I'm into F1 these days is because it's the easiest league to follow at any time. get F1TV and you're set for the entire championship, replay or live. meanwhile EPL is starting to splinter, MLB is everywhere and nowhere, even NFL is all over the place (except oddly enough, the Yahoo Fantasy app has every game)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1513963618873888768

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So is there actually enough money to be made to sustain this dumbass streaming world or is it just a bit of a gold rush right now? The money being thrown around for relatively small numbers of games seems kind of crazy.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

leftist heap posted:

So is there actually enough money to be made to sustain this dumbass streaming world or is it just a bit of a gold rush right now? The money being thrown around for relatively small numbers of games seems kind of crazy.

The big players in streaming know that even if you churn out award winning programming and huge populist stuff the world of streaming is getting a bit too splintered. So what do you do, you add value with sports + get the desperate freaks who loves sports (people like us) to pay for the service. Obviously illegal streams are an option but I know a number of people who make decent money and are just like "well I want to watch Premiere League stuff and as a bonus I guess I can watch that new MacGruber show" or whatever.

Also this poo poo is getting so funny at this point.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It certainly seems that eventually, everything will move to streaming services. It’s going to be a lovely like 5 years until that happens though.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Holy gently caress I came to this thread because while I sit and watch the Wild a thought popped into my head: buying a TV subscription (YouTube TV or Fubo or whatever the gently caress) so I can simplify my platforms and get more SPORTS (really want to watch the Twins this year). I make good money. But if I can’t watch all the games for all the sports that is bullshit. My response to that is: arrrrr matey.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

kung fu jive posted:

Holy gently caress I came to this thread because while I sit and watch the Wild a thought popped into my head: buying a TV subscription (YouTube TV or Fubo or whatever the gently caress) so I can simplify my platforms and get more SPORTS (really want to watch the Twins this year). I make good money. But if I can’t watch all the games for all the sports that is bullshit. My response to that is: arrrrr matey.

Oh, you can watch all the games for all the sports, it's just going to cost you more.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
I just hope with the eventual transition away from RSNs to streaming it won’t be paired with more of the subpar announcing like Mets/Nats last Friday. I dunno if it was just first game wrinkles but there were so many instances where they seemingly forgot to call the game amidst all the weird trivia they were doing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Bird in a Blender posted:

It certainly seems that eventually, everything will move to streaming services. It’s going to be a lovely like 5 years until that happens though.

It's basically going to be a war between old media (Comcast, Disney, National Amusements, News Corp. and Warner Bros. Discovery) and tech (Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Meta, Microsoft) for the rights to sports but on a global scale. The one that baffles me by throwing their hat in is Apple since sports in any capacity is completely out of character for them minus perfunctory cameos.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Apple TV has some of the lowest subscriber numbers of the streaming services, so it's probably more of a play to drive up numbers.

I could possibly see Comcast moving a lot of sports to Peacock since they already have a lot of NBC/Comcast RSNs. Chicago is a Comcast Sports Channel network and they broadcast everything but the Cubs. I think that would only happen if Comcast got really desperate to push Peacock though, since moving sports to streaming would undercut the need for cable subscriptions.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimJarmuschHair/status/1515011809748533248?t=0gyFIFcnGf0ubZmbSFP8Lw&s=19

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That's why we elected him pope

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Anyone else seeing this weird box labeled “cue” on the mound on this Apple TV broadcast of Soxs/Rays? Looks like an overlay, but why would they leave it on?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bradburypancakes posted:

Anyone else seeing this weird box labeled “cue” on the mound on this Apple TV broadcast of Soxs/Rays? Looks like an overlay, but why would they leave it on?
Because their streaming broadcasts have, by most accounts, been terrible?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

bradburypancakes posted:

I think it's an ad for cue health.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I think it's an ad for cue health.

JFC I think you’re right. Mound ads, now I’ve seen everything

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bradburypancakes posted:

JFC I think you’re right. Mound ads, now I’ve seen everything
Just wait until there's ads for MANSCAPED on the balls

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the mound ad has been unfortunately pretty standard for the MLB playoffs for a few years.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Caray twins put fourth generation of family in baseball broadcast booth

I imagine that not just one of Chip's sons, but two in the broadcast booth is someone's recurring nightmare. To sum up the article, the two of them are announing for the D'backs AA team, the Amarillo Sod Poodles.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine listening to a Caray who is not a senile drunk

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

imagine listening to a Caray who is not a senile drunk
Personally I think baseball announcing booths should come with an open bar.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/status/1515729298342166528

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

drat that sucks :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God gently caress a cancer

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Have Dave Stieb fill in for him.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Would you like to buy NFL, NFL+, NFL Pro, or NFL Pro Max?

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/04/18/apple-nfl-sunday-ticket-rumor/

Just a rumor, but with Apple’s WWDC coming I’m early June I could see them wanting to keep things quiet. On the plus side, Apple won’t be doing the actual broadcasts so most people will be spared the Friday Night Baseball level trash fires.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1516410819164188674

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

leftist heap posted:

There is if they can kill most of them and be the last one standing. Or the last one standing next to Netflix and Disney which probably have their money locked in at this point.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Rick posted:

There is if they can kill most of them and be the last one standing. Or the last one standing next to Netflix and Disney which probably have their money locked in at this point.

Suddenly not feeling so hot about Netflix after this past week!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Chieves posted:

Suddenly not feeling so hot about Netflix after this past week!

Yeah tell me about.

It's funny Netflix actually has a lot of things I like now, which wasn't the case when it was more in the zeitgeist. Although if I can ever finish the Crown I'll probably shut it off again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you have HBO/HBOMax, they're debuting a film called The Survivor, about Harry Haft this Wednesday at 8PM EDT/PDT.

Haft's story is very much worth looking up if you don't know it. Extremely heavy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1518677791180570630

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1518678439800279041