Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

if the enforced optimism people lose their hope and faith that everything will be ok, they're gonna have breakdowns and it's gonna be a big, big, mess

they need to believe that everything is gonna be ok, or else they're gonna feel really bad, and if they feel really bad, they'll hurt people in the process of trying to make themselves feel better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Colin Mockery posted:

if the enforced optimism people lose their hope and faith that everything will be ok, they're gonna have breakdowns and it's gonna be a big, big, mess

they need to believe that everything is gonna be ok, or else they're gonna feel really bad, and if they feel really bad, they'll hurt people in the process of trying to make themselves feel better

Hm, now why does that remind me of the Christians saying they would be pieces of poo poo without their faith.

... huh, both do get very angry and declare you a bad person describing reality as it is. And both insist they will be saved through their belief, not by their actions.

At this point I've got the "smile and you won't be depressed" more times than I can count, and after I shed the depression I get a whole lot of "your brain injury is just depression". It IS all in my head. Well, mostly. Some of it is in my spinal canal.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can expand this to ninety-five theses easy. Anyone got a church door for toxic positivity?

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

As if billions of voices suddenly cried out in crack ping

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Homeless Friend posted:

tell me you don't want to lick that :yum:

that’s a waste of kief, decarb first :milk:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Are you going to snort that poo poo or what?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

God Hole posted:

I'm glad it got put down. dying of rabies loving sucks

ok sure but it was biting congresspeople, a true comrade

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Colin Mockery posted:

You saw this all over the place with COVID and you still see it every time the Vietnam war deaths per month statistic hits someone who hasn't sufficiently built up their cope reserves. Lots of people just need to utterly detach themselves from reality to have any hope of dealing with the consequences of modern life.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like that the subtitle says "Particles discovered in tissue of 11 out of 13 patients undergoing surgery,"

I imagine the surgeon making his primary incision and the patient just pops open like a glitter bomb

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

You saw this all over the place with COVID and you still see it every time the Vietnam war deaths per month statistic hits someone who hasn't sufficiently built up their cope reserves. Lots of people just need to utterly detach themselves from reality to have any hope of dealing with the consequences of modern life.

this isn't a new phenomenon, it's how humans are

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this isn't a new phenomenon, it's how humans are

Yes, and it's extremely bad for a global civilization that's playing with biosphere-wrecking toys

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

skooma512 posted:

https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1511818167609282560?s=20&t=MPRDOqca5Jza6-qZxxAakg

They sent out a whole company sized force of police for 4 climate protestors. Amazing free speech we got here in freedom land :allears:

But if you harass people at an abortion clinic well they have a right to be there y'know we can't do anything about it.

Legal militia assemble openly

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
in one perspective, sure, this all completely deprives and renders the sum total of human endeavor utterly, utterly meaningless senseless and wholly null- optimistically; a glorified and extravagant skinner box for all known innocent life, less optimistically (lol! lmao!)

however, another perspective is possible.

isn't it not really ~*"""art"""*~ until the artist dies...? well well well! step right up, the one and only known artist in existence just had a (wholly preventable) heart attack whilst working on their grandmaster-work canvas, with all resources ever available at their or any theoretical others' disposal! this one and only artist has had since time conceived spent on this one singular piece, sum of all efforts in life, and of tides and tides of (microplastic riddled) blood, of suffering the bounds of which words pale! their soon lifeless (part flesh, part plastic) body is tumbling, still holding a damp (plastic) brush toward the -singular- (plastic) canvas, for one last fateful and final stroke (full of microplastics) upon the work, fore all fades (except all the plastics), leaving... but a really hosed up rather niche piece of performance art that maybe,probably nobody will get, tbh, possibly ever! (Glorbzorb in the Galactic Year 69420 mints a neo-NFT of it, actually, then the original work is never thought of again throughout the sands of time) lol! lmao!

i shall assume whichever perspective fortifies both my lols and my lmaos at any given time, personally

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AppleNippleBOB posted:

jfc its little face is so adorable!

I really hope that it'll be the end to it all. That'd be nice.

That's it's butt

Whichever end you meant

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ottawa unveils $2.6B carbon capture tax credit for energy sector

quote:

In the federal budget announced Thursday, the Liberal government said it will allocate $2.6 billion over five years to a tax credit for companies investing in projects that employ the technology, which traps greenhouse gas emissions from industrial sources and stores them deep in the ground to prevent them from being released into the atmosphere.

Starting in 2022, companies will be able to claim a tax credit of up to 60 per cent for direct air capture projects and 50 per cent for all other eligible carbon capture projects. The government will decrease the tax credit rates by 50 per cent in 2031 in an effort to get companies to build their carbon capture projects now, not later.

The feds are big on bullshit magic math up here, so this is unsurprising.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That Spooky Witch posted:

in one perspective, sure, this all completely deprives and renders the sum total of human endeavor utterly, utterly meaningless senseless and wholly null- optimistically; a glorified and extravagant skinner box for all known innocent life, less optimistically (lol! lmao!)

however, another perspective is possible.

isn't it not really ~*"""art"""*~ until the artist dies...? well well well! step right up, the one and only known artist in existence just had a (wholly preventable) heart attack whilst working on their grandmaster-work canvas, with all resources ever available at their or any theoretical others' disposal! this one and only artist has had since time conceived spent on this one singular piece, sum of all efforts in life, and of tides and tides of (microplastic riddled) blood, of suffering the bounds of which words pale! their soon lifeless (part flesh, part plastic) body is tumbling, still holding a damp (plastic) brush toward the -singular- (plastic) canvas, for one last fateful and final stroke (full of microplastics) upon the work, fore all fades (except all the plastics), leaving... but a really hosed up rather niche piece of performance art that maybe,probably nobody will get, tbh, possibly ever! (Glorbzorb in the Galactic Year 69420 mints a neo-NFT of it, actually, then the original work is never thought of again throughout the sands of time) lol! lmao!

i shall assume whichever perspective fortifies both my lols and my lmaos at any given time, personally

ya Zima Blue was the best Love, Death and Robots episode (okay, i also liked the really exploitative and horny one)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Shima Honnou posted:

no wonder we all wanted him in our rap sheets, its just like us

lol didn't someone make a qcs thread complaining that everyone in this thread requested probes for that? am i remembering that wrong?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

the horse?

smdh

T-Paine posted:

The horse is a Nazi, the security guard is a "race realist"

buttercup nooo ;_;

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Alobar posted:

am i remembering that wrong?

lmao nope

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rime posted:

The feds are big on bullshit magic math up here, so this is unsurprising.

Of course. Not only is this a great way to give even more money to the energy, oil and gas, and financial interests, "carbon capture" is an essential piece of propaganda aimed directly at shutting down any real efforts to fight climate change. We don't need to do XYZ because we are paying Elon Musk to capture all the carbon. By the time it percolates out to the public in 20+ years, who cares? The can was kicked down the road and it is a tomorrow problem.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here’s the guy who took the bdell pic he sounds pretty cool

quote:

Steve Gschmeissner is one of the leading scanning electron microscopists in the world today. In the late 1990s he taught himself to colour using Photoshop and subsequently created an extraordinary collection of over 3000 pictures, covering specimens ranging from diatoms to cancer cells to new materials. His work is published globally in every conceivable type of media, including books, magazines, TV, advertising, record covers and most famously adapted by Damien Hirst in his biopsy series on the Cell.

Steve began his career in the more traditional role of an electron microscopist at the Royal College of Surgeons and later at Cancer Research UK . His training in the scientific environment informs his work with a deep understanding of the science behind the image. This knowledge, combined with a strong visual awareness of what makes an outstanding, oftentimes breath taking, image has won him numerous prestigious awards from the Royal Photographic Society, The Royal Microscopical Society and Spot on Micro.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

it’s near 100 in LA too lmfao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Homeless Friend posted:

it’s near 100 in LA too lmfao

Hope those pigs heat stroke out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1509713934869278721

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TACD posted:

we’re going to be seeing headlines like “A 1.5C World is Still Possible. Here’s How” until at least 2030, and then they’ll slowly be replaced with “Millennials Killed the Dream of 1.5C. Here’s Why That’s OK”

I think things will happen way faster than 2030. As soon as we elect Trump or another republican, the break down will speed up. Not that Biden isn't breaking things down, but the media is treating it as "normal" again. I think we have another 3 years top of most people thinking "normal" and another 8 before pretending will have any effect. We're so close. The cracks are already there, but the glass bubble hasn't really broken.

Yet.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

The end of oil stuff slaps

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

finally, some good news

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/apr/08/record-breaking-wet-season-sees-frog-numbers-in-queensland-leaping-through-the-roof

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

huh i'm blocked by parker, i wonder what i did. i hardly tweet anything

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the frogs are reclaiming what is theirs

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the land promised on oath to their forefrogs

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I think things will happen way faster than 2030. As soon as we elect Trump or another republican, the break down will speed up. Not that Biden isn't breaking things down, but the media is treating it as "normal" again. I think we have another 3 years top of most people thinking "normal" and another 8 before pretending will have any effect. We're so close. The cracks are already there, but the glass bubble hasn't really broken.

Yet.

for me what has been wild is watching doom percolate into entertainment - like goddamn pop bands are already telling people they're hosed, i can't imagine what'll be like another 5 years from now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mawarannahr posted:

here’s the guy who took the bdell pic he sounds pretty cool

sem was definitely a favourite class of mine in undergrad

i remember putting a cricket head in there and being astounded

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/SturgeonSurgeon/status/1512182681752154131

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

drat i wanna go to that aquarium

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kOJrmquoZo

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the land promised on oath to their forefrogs

tiddalik laughing at us :getin:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Lmao at the audio in the background in the 2nd one

You have to eat enough food to survive, but you also have to avoid eating too much micro...

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

:getin: