Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gschmidl posted:

That term is really old.

yeah I think "frunk" is from the era of the original beetle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

yeah I think "frunk" is from the era of the original beetle

any car with the motor in the back

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

brits call it a froot

I know they don’t really but they should

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

brits call it a frooti tooti pip pip

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oi a chav nicked me froot bonnet mate

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Swatting whistleblowers is up there on that list too. Straight up tried to get him murdered by saying he made cricket death threats and was armed etc

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

brits call it a froot

I will do this from now on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

oi a chav nicked me froot bonnet mate

you're a froot bonnet

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

drat all his time is being spent keeping tesla alive and he invented extra time to be a board member of twitter too? we need a word beyond genius

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Elan Must, Super-GENIUS.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

brits call it a froot

Mad about that Frussy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

drat all his time is being spent keeping tesla alive and he invented extra time to be a board member of twitter too? we need a word beyond genius

you can call it genius 2

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sagebrush posted:

you can call it genius 2
Hah, you fool. That's a false-rear end transformation. You spend so much time twitting that it trades shitposts for stock pumps, leaving you open to buy-outs.

Instead, :goku:, try, ASCENDED GENIUS BUBLÉ

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

martha stewart went to jail over prematurely dumping some shares of a biotech firm worth a couple hundred thousand. musk does this poo poo worth more money than most people would make in a dozen lifetimes and gets nothing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Martha Stewart went to jail over talking to the feds

musk understands the only thing you say to cops is “gently caress you”

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The_Franz posted:

martha stewart went to jail over prematurely dumping some shares of a biotech firm worth a couple hundred thousand. musk does this poo poo worth more money than most people would make in a dozen lifetimes and gets nothing

lmao that was before Trump spilled the secret of doing crimes is to do so many, openly, that they can’t keep up and just give up

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

Martha Stewart went to jail over talking to the feds

musk understands the only thing you say to cops is “gently caress you”

as an embodiment of a bipedal pig, musk merely smiles at the cops knowingly

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i imagine someone will make a cheaper knockoff once there's enough rivians in the wild

The (eventual) electric version of the Ford Maverick pickup is going to become the best selling vehicle in America.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FCKGW posted:

The (eventual) electric version of the Ford Maverick pickup is going to become the best selling vehicle in America.

the hybrid maverick getting over 40mpg is gonna do alright too

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1511982702819520512

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i hate him so much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what a fuckin poser

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
even better

https://twitter.com/businessbarista/status/1512022756933652488

he stole it from a sycophant

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the hybrid maverick getting over 40mpg is gonna do alright too

lol the entire 2022 model year was sold out basically on introduction

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ford accidentally made the perfect vehicle for 95% of people living in the suburbs and priced it as the cheapest vehicle they sell and I’m worried it’s gonna get killed off in two years because it hurt sales of the ranger and f150

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nah the people who buy an f150 wouldn't be swayed by the mav. the f150/f250 is still both a status symbol and an excellent work vehicle. the mav will go to people who might've bought an suv instead imo

though it would still be a great work truck for smalltimers who can't afford the f150, too

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FCKGW posted:

ford accidentally made the perfect vehicle for 95% of people living in the suburbs and priced it as the cheapest vehicle they sell and I’m worried it’s gonna get killed off in two years because it hurt sales of the ranger and f150

well yeah because the margins on the f150 are like 5x and they cant sell them fast enough

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Poopernickel posted:

Rivian's trucks have a trunk under the hood, since the motors are all in the undercarriage.

The trunk is officially called...brace yourselves... a frunk
grand frunk railroad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

he stole it from a sycophant

tesla "doesnt have a pr department" but they definitely have a couple guys crawling twitter for the dankest elon me-mes :barf:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

tesla "doesnt have a pr department" but they definitely have a couple guys crawling twitter for the dankest elon me-mes :barf:

i guarantee that's something he does himself

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Carthag Tuek posted:

mediaphage posted:

it's both imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mediaphage posted:

seems like that would take too much time away from posting, but i guess i only see the ones that intentionally put him in a bad light so yeah his signal/noise ratio is probably the opposite and he has the pick of the lot or whatever

just loving imagine his timeline jfc

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They had a job posting for Elong Social Media Tweet Wizard a while ago but probs figured Reddit does it for free.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chris Knight posted:

grand frunk railroad

that got ripped out years ago

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

read that post it’s better vvvv

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 8, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
in aviation, and especially in the military, aircraft reliability is often summarized as a ratio of flight hours to maintenance hours. an average fighter jet like an F/A-18 has about a 10 to 1 ratio -- 10 man-hours of maintenance are required for every hour of flight. for a airliners, where maintenance costs are obviously a major concern for the operators, it's usually about 3 or 4 to 1. for the F-14, with its complicated radar and 1960s flight computers and variable geometry wing, it's 25 to 1.

note that this doesn't mean you put the plane out of service for a day every time it lands -- it's an average. in normal use there will be some straightforward checks and maintenance tasks between operations, and periodically the plane will go back to the maintenance facility where it's completely taken apart and maintained over days or weeks.

stealth aircraft are notorious maintenance hogs. the F-117 required 125 hours of maintenance for each hour of flight, and fully half of that was maintaining its stealth features. in order for the radar-evading skin to work, each of those sharp facets must be perfectly smooth, perfectly flat, and exactly aligned with every other one, without a single gap between them even a millimeter wide. as it turns out, making that sort of shape is just...really, really hard. in the development of the F-117, the fabricators had to invent entirely new methods of workholding and fixturing just to set the complex angles of the facets with the required accuracy.

anyway, here's something unrelated.

https://twitter.com/RyanZohoury/status/1512212226249314307?s=20&t=MxN6QgEzyVjbUjvoPm2xPg

e: once again, foiled by my own goddamn desire to make my posts into stories. i can't help it. i just like to take people on a journey

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

have two cybertruks ever been seen in the same place or are they still carting around the one prototype model they built?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

e: once again, foiled by my own goddamn desire to make my posts into stories. i can't help it. i just like to take people on a journey

deleted my post because I like yours better :)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Juul-Whip posted:

have two cybertruks ever been seen in the same place or are they still carting around the one prototype model they built?

I believe this one has the bus-wiper attached, so it may be a different unit.

My FB and Instagram have been weird all week, as I know several of the artists who were contracted to make the Giga Texas Cyber Rodeo happen. So there have been a lot of fawning behind-the-scenes pictures of the event setup. It seems like Elon has decided that if he throws enough money around, he can buy the admiration of the arts scene in this town. Sadly, he may be right.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

LanceHunter posted:

I believe this one has the bus-wiper attached, so it may be a different unit.

My FB and Instagram have been weird all week, as I know several of the artists who were contracted to make the Giga Texas Cyber Rodeo happen. So there have been a lot of fawning behind-the-scenes pictures of the event setup. It seems like Elon has decided that if he throws enough money around, he can buy the admiration of the arts scene in this town. Sadly, he may be right.

It’s been true in every art scene since Thag commissioned cave art commemorating his successful mammoth hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
Thag, the namesake of the Thagomizer?