Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

garfield hentai posted:

The bean head potato smile reminiscent-of-Steven-Universe thing is what people derisively call the "Cal Arts" style, although my understanding is it's less that they actually teach that style there and more that the style just happens to be trendy and also everyone in the industry all met each other through Cal Arts. From what I can tell the "Cal Arts produces poo poo artists" thing was also a thing John K would say a lot that's since caught on but he'd also say that about anyone who wasn't Bob Clampett so whatever

Green Intern posted:

If you hear someone complaining specifically about "Cal Arts" there's a really good chance that they are some kind of internet chud and can be safely ignored.

Just a note here that whoever converted the Cal Arts debate into lazy meme form threw in Gumball Watterson as an example, and if a person's core complaint is about a numbing sameness of art style across animated cartoons, it is a massive tactical mistake to rope The Amazing World Of Gumball into that discussion.

But then again, I'm the guy who doesn't really mind the Tatulli style, so I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

I don't think I can even follow the nonsense soup in Mark Trail anymore. "Influencers won't learn about cricket powder for funsies." What if you just gave them money, there's not even a reason for the NFTs in this "scheme" Jules just wants us to know NFTs are bad which yeah sure they are but that's not a story.
I was thinking this exact same thing as I was posting it. The entire premise makes zero sense and I can only assume she just wanted to shove "NFTs are BAD" into Mark Trail. She's barely giving a reason even why they are bad beyond they vaguely use more energy. If this is an attempt to inform readers of the downsides of NFTs—which I think could be valuable—she's doing a poor job of it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

I was thinking this exact same thing as I was posting it. The entire premise makes zero sense and I can only assume she just wanted to shove "NFTs are BAD" into Mark Trail. She's barely giving a reason even why they are bad beyond they vaguely use more energy. If this is an attempt to inform readers of the downsides of NFTs—which I think could be valuable—she's doing a poor job of it.

For years my big complaint about James Allen's run was that he is a climate-change denier, and environmental strip Mark Trail should be handled by someone who cares about the environment.

That monkey's paw finger has certainly curled.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 20, 1950)

Doesn't this dude still have an Army like right outside? Not that I don't appreciate the baby-sized chopping block, but doesn't this dude still have an Army right outside?
Assuming this is how it concludes, this is one of the rare Valiant story arcs that I don't think quite lands.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

Doesn't this dude still have an Army like right outside? Not that I don't appreciate the baby-sized chopping block, but doesn't this dude still have an Army right outside?
Assuming this is how it concludes, this is one of the rare Valiant story arcs that I don't think quite lands.

It's MAD

He has an army right outside but also has an opposing army occupying his homeland about to kill his d00ds

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Schwarzwald posted:

600 of his men are disarmed prisoners in the courtyard, and the rest of the army is fairly demoralized by the amazing defenses caused by an invisible enemy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Schwarzwald posted:

You will note how he himself is basically a prisoner, along with his wife and child.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I said it before but I appreciate Phantom still willing to stick to the "save savarna" plan

Savarna: Free, enjoying life, got revenge. Absolute A+ here
Kit: Mostly fine it's fine
Heloise: okay she did lose a gal pal but she DID get a happy life out of it
Kadia: alright this one sucks actually
Diane: Moving away is sad but understandable
The Phantom Lineage: I'll manage it somehow!
Me: Out for one last bit of revenge sure okay, been there done that, who hasn't! Worked great for Savarna

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Aw, I was hoping this would just keep going and going with the second frame of each strip being an ever-closer zoom into Pam Poovey's face until it's eventually just one giant bloodshot eye taunting Toby.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Medenmath posted:

So why does a Selkie ditch their skin to swim as a human, again? Why not just stay in seal form? It makes sense if they want to come on land, but not to go swimming!

Ah, this is my time to shine!

Selkies are fairies, which means the seal AND the human forms are both part of their nature, thus they enjoy spending time as both. In reality, selkies were probably inspired partly by Artic-living peoples, who had animal-skin clothing that sometimes became waterlogged, and needed to be removed in order to dry out; from far away, the long-haired men would look like magical creatures who emerged from the water as seals, then removed their skins to reveal their human, presumably female, forms. It's worth noting that selkies are not native to the folklore of the British Isles, and were brought to the Northern Islands by Norse invaders. Seal women are common in the folklore of Arctic and sub-Arctic cultures on both sides of the Atlantic, which carried to some of the cultures that they had contact with.

It was believed that selkies could control the waves and what they brought to shore. Fish was important, of course, but more vital was seaweed, which people used as fertilizer. Thus it was taboo to hunt or bother seals in many places, or to skin a dead seal. If the selkies felt disrespected, they could withhold seaweed for crops, or even attack sailors and fishermen on the water. Taking an abandoned seal skin was especially not okay, as we'll see. (I'll hold off on the rest of the selkie lore, I don't want to give anything away.)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Heart looks fine and Luca looks great imo.

More importantly though drat Aleta, that’s some ice cold poo poo right there.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Just a note here that whoever converted the Cal Arts debate into lazy meme form threw in Gumball Watterson as an example, and if a person's core complaint is about a numbing sameness of art style across animated cartoons, it is a massive tactical mistake to rope The Amazing World Of Gumball into that discussion.

But then again, I'm the guy who doesn't really mind the Tatulli style, so I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist.

If I'm thinking of the right meme, it also only "works" because the person who put it together drew all of the characters off-model to fit their argument.

Schwarzwald posted:

The Bloop posted:

It's MAD
He has an army right outside but also has an opposing army occupying his homeland about to kill his d00ds

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

600 of his men are disarmed prisoners in the courtyard, and the rest of the army is fairly demoralized by the amazing defenses caused by an invisible enemy.

Green Intern posted:

You will note how he himself is basically a prisoner, along with his wife and child.

Yeah, Hap-Atla's army failed to take the castle even before a bunch of them were trapped and disarmed, Aguar's army is currently still out wrecking the Inner Lands, and Hap-Atla and his family are right this second inside the castle and surrounded by Aguar's allies. I'd like to think the executioners are for show (inviting him inside to negotiate and then assassinating him wouldn't be very ~honorable~), but the point is that his whole plan is already in shambles and they're giving him a way to technically fulfill his promise to his dead dad and cut his losses.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Ah, this is my time to shine!

Selkies are fairies, which means the seal AND the human forms are both part of their nature, thus they enjoy spending time as both. In reality, selkies were probably inspired partly by Artic-living peoples, who had animal-skin clothing that sometimes became waterlogged, and needed to be removed in order to dry out; from far away, the long-haired men would look like magical creatures who emerged from the water as seals, then removed their skins to reveal their human, presumably female, forms. It's worth noting that selkies are not native to the folklore of the British Isles, and were brought to the Northern Islands by Norse invaders. Seal women are common in the folklore of Arctic and sub-Arctic cultures on both sides of the Atlantic, which carried to some of the cultures that they had contact with.

It was believed that selkies could control the waves and what they brought to shore. Fish was important, of course, but more vital was seaweed, which people used as fertilizer. Thus it was taboo to hunt or bother seals in many places, or to skin a dead seal. If the selkies felt disrespected, they could withhold seaweed for crops, or even attack sailors and fishermen on the water. Taking an abandoned seal skin was especially not okay, as we'll see. (I'll hold off on the rest of the selkie lore, I don't want to give anything away.)

This post rules, thanks for the info! :)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery
Fun Lottie fact: lemons and most limes originated as hybrids of a type of orange.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (November 4-5, 1938)

gently caress, yes, Toar is back.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey: Start chapter 5!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's totes a chick, callin it

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

lol that they threaten to chop the head off the baby.
This is, of course, much more threatening to a baby than an adult because like 45% of a baby is head.

also,

Hwurmp posted:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
One strip goes away, something new must be added for balance. That's the way I play the Game of Thread. We'll get to it in a moment, but first...

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 10, 1934)

Peanuts (April 10, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

In case you haven't been keeping score, this is the third time travel story since the post-Lisa time jump.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 7, 1938)

Out Our Way (July 11-13, 1938)

And now, as advertised, Something New Has Been Added.

Our Boarding House was a single-panel comic created for the Newspaper Enterprise Association by Gene Ahern. It debuted in the fall of 1921, about a half a year before Out Our Way, and if you go through as many old comics pages as I do (including the one I grew up with, because OBH managed to run all the way until 1984), you'll often find Out Our Way and Our Boarding House sitting side by side like conjoined twins. Once Ahern settles into his long-haul style, you'll see that both panels have a sympathetic aesthetic.

At the outset, Ahern was drawing from his experiences as a boarder, but it didn't take long for the strip to catch on in such a big way that King Features poached him from NEA in 1936 at double his old salary to draw an OBH knockoff. The reason was that in the process of finessing his initial premise, Ahern managed to create one of the most indelible characters of the between-the-wars comics page.

He hasn't shown up yet, but please be patient. (September 19-21, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (December 16-18, 1918)

Dok's "Oh, Are We Going After Teddy This Time?" Duck (January 16, 1914)

Little Lefty (March 20-22, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) (October 29-31, 1931)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True April 18, 1919

And He Did! April 19, 1919

Cat Tales March 28, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 29, 1936

Mopsy December 7, 1937

Up Front March 12, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 18, 1952

Those Were the Days November 26, 1959

Wee Pals June 21, 1966

Dogbert March 6, 1967

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Please for the love of god Monky Dunderchump do not have this grown-rear end man meet his wife in the past when she is a little girl and be like "you should marry my past self". I do not want this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Please for the love of god Monky Dunderchump do not have this grown-rear end man meet his wife in the past when she is a little girl and be like "you should marry my past self". I do not want this.

Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Smug

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Strips 2022: You cannot konk a ghost!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hee hee.

Hwurmp posted:

yup

Hostile V posted:

Also gently caress John Darling in his gol dang ear.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

Nah, he will find her in the vidja arcade and encourage her or his past self to keep playing/be nice to each other.

He should go back and warn Lisa not to go on the field trip to Chernobyl but that would destroy Les. If his wife doesn't die from cancer, whatever happen to HIM?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 26-27, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 22, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 9-10, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nah, he will find her in the vidja arcade and encourage her or his past self to keep playing/be nice to each other.

He will give her the helmet to complete the time loop. He will then realize that he no longer has his time machine, go back to the bench, and wait to be killed by time cops/wraiths/worms.

Regular old time will get him instead, in three days.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

This is the most brutal murder I've ever seen.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

At the outset, Ahern was drawing from his experiences as a boarder, but it didn't take long for the strip to catch on in such a big way that King Features poached him from NEA in 1936 at double his old salary to draw an OBH knockoff. The reason was that in the process of finessing his initial premise, Ahern managed to create one of the most indelible characters of the between-the-wars comics page.

He hasn't shown up yet, but please be patient. (September 19-21, 1921)

This sounds fun. One of my favorite reads from this thread was the stretch of Thimble Theater when Segar invented Popeye and realized that he struck gold.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Betting she gets hired to work at the bar.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: These boys have this very well planned out, or Blueberry takes advantage of the situation, or ...I wonder if those last two panels were actually supposed to be one? Mashed together, they certainly covey the same information, and separate, they give the illusion that time has passed even though it really hasn't.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 26-27, 1991)

What the gently caress is going on with her legs/feet in the first panel?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
"Turns out it just says BUTTS LOL"

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Twelve by Pies posted:

What the gently caress is going on with her legs/feet in the first panel?

Has to pee VERY much

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 01, 2000)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 01, 2000)

A+J once again showing an excellent understanding of people, because that's my dad, though nowadays with Google maps rather than physical ones. Because even if technology changes people don't.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Samovar posted:

I propose that it is the single, greatest Calvin and Hobbes strip.

Seconded only possibly by the Gauguin one.

Certainly in my top ten but my favorite is tie between the Rex Morgan style strips and Tyrannosaurus in a fighter jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Medenmath posted:

If I'm thinking of the right meme, it also only "works" because the person who put it together drew all of the characters off-model to fit their argument.

Yeah, all of them are a bit off model and the similarities are pretty superficial to begin with. The "bean-like" facial shape has been a pretty common way of denoting young characters in cartoons forever and anime/manga "chibi" styles use similar shaping. The piano teeth smile has been a common thing in cartooning forever.

Also of the main shows the memes focus on: Steven Universe, Gumball, OK KO, Star Vs, and Gravity Falls, only the last two were even created by a CalArts alum.

Also all of those series have a very massive amount of variety of character styles.

fondue posted:

Certainly in my top ten but my favorite is tie between the Rex Morgan style strips and Tyrannosaurus in a fighter jet.

The first strip of that style is my all time favorite just for the rabbit baby :kimchi:

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 8, 2022