Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Picked up the Criterion Godzilla set (it really is insanely large) and the original film still holds up so well, they absolutely nailed the sound design right from the start and the elemental dread is so good

I was thinking about it earlier and I came to a realization that any movie that combines camp elements with bleaker tones is basically a winning formula for me. Godzilla, most Planet of the Apes, Zack Snyder's films, most David Lynch works, etc etc. Or the similar formula of "comedy that becomes a drama" like Moral Orel or even Parasite in a way. The contrast just works so well when done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It's called Invasion Literature and started in Britain in the late 1800s. The War of the Worlds is a famous early example but there are tons of other forgotten novels from before that about thinly-disguised Germans conquering England

In the US we didn't even bother with allegory. The Last Days of the Republic spawned a whole genre of Yellow Peril novels about the Chinese taking over the US.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the meantime, here's Day Of The Kaiju:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQcFMFO944

It's the same premise, but functions like a prologue/epilogue to Shin Godzilla.

Oh dang this was great.

I looked up the writer/director Kazuhiro Nakagawa on IMDB and two years later he got an assistant director gig on Shin Godzilla as well as several other kaiju/tokusatsu projects, and most recently directed that Godzilla vs. Hedorah suitmation short we saw during G-Fest

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century...

I’m gonna have to listen to some Jeff Wayne tomorrow.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mantis42 posted:

In the US we didn't even bother with allegory. The Last Days of the Republic spawned a whole genre of Yellow Peril novels about the Chinese taking over the US.

Nothing gets Americans riled up like Communism

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This was 1880, it was just racism lol.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m gonna have to listen to some Jeff Wayne tomorrow.

I always thought that Wayne's War of the Worlds would be a fantastic format for a monster film. That album is fantastic.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hanshin Tigers promo video: Godzilla vs. Mecha Tracky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtYENKAF-cw

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This YouTube channel might be of interest to G-Fans ITT

It is not my channel. I just came across it this morning, when a three-hour video where he reviews every film in the franchise popped up in my recommendations and I enjoyed it. I've watched some of his other videos, and it's a cool channel.

He does videos on other Kaiju films as well.

https://www.youtube.com/c/UpFromTheDepths88/videos

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sorry for the double post, but just watch this short review of KOTM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr0GBJ7VJsI

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla drop at Mondo tomorrow

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There has been so much Biollante merch in the past couple years. Would be pretty cool if they could get another bluray release out.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

the existence of Tom Whelan posters is a conspiracy to bankrupt me personally

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I just want Bear McReary to score another Godzilla movie because the score for KotM fuckin' ruled and the score for GvsK sounded like something from a stock parody of a kaiju movie.

Much like GvsK itself kind of was, I guess.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The main theme of GvK being a similar to but legally distinct from version of the main Godzilla theme was such a weird thing.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Desumaytah posted:

I just want Bear McReary to score another Godzilla movie because the score for KotM fuckin' ruled and the score for GvsK sounded like something from a stock parody of a kaiju movie.

Much like GvsK itself kind of was, I guess.

Legitimately the best version of Mothra's theme, hands down.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I think I heard somewhere in this thread that Toho licenses the monster themes to different studios separate from the actual monsters themselves, and of the four main Kaiju in KotM, the studio shelled out for two.

If that's true, then yeah they made the right choice to go with Godzilla and Mothra. Those two are so entwined with their themes that it's never a misstep to use them and it honestly feels weird when they show up in movies using other tracks.

McReary knocked it out of the park with his compositions for Ghidorah and Rodan, though. Dunno if I'd say they're better than the corresponding Ifukube tracks, but they rule on their own merits.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GMK is still the best movie ever. Got Baragon and everything.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I enjoy KOTM for what it is (even though it's nowhere near as good as it should be), but Bear's soundtrack is in my top three Godzilla related things ever

It's just perfect. I still get goosebumps when I listen to it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rodan's theme is so good in KOTM, those horns fuel me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJfdTPTFDbc

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I legit listen to the KotM soundtrack when I work out.

Hitting a Deadlift PR while McCreary's arrangements of those themes blast is a really good feeling

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So they have Howl From Beyond The Fog on Tubi right now so finally got around to watching it, a charming if surprisingly short film, only real nitpick I have is that the subs are really rough in parts

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I legit listen to the KotM soundtrack when I work out.

Hitting a Deadlift PR while McCreary's arrangements of those themes blast is a really good feeling

Hard same (at least back when I was still able to)

KOTM soundtrack, Man of Steel soundtrack, Doom soundtrack...all perfect for ripping PRs

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How do you think Godzilla got such thick legs?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mantis42 posted:

Forget high altitude training, hadopelagic hydrostatic pressure training is what you need for those kaiju gains

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

You like Krabby Patties dont you Godzilla?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Damnit I missed this :smith:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Nodoze posted:

Damnit I missed this :smith:

hey, at least there's the secondary market! :v:

also, if you're jonesing for that Biollante poster, the artist usually has a few extra prints that he puts up for sale on his website once the street date rolls around.

https://www.strongstuffshop.net/

should be july-ish for the biollante poster I think?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has there been a cockatoo kaiju? There should be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlKCQm2qPFc

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLqro3Gi60

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Closest I can think of is Parrotmon from the 1999 pilot movie for Digimon

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is pretty neat:

https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1515513633937272836?s=21&t=7PDgPvkTNmQozfo5y1_FFQ

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I want the Monsterverse Destoroyah movie to happen and at the end every monster's in the middle of dying a horrible death when Ghidorah shows up and wrecks Destoroyah with barely any difficulty since now he's canon immune to the gimmick.

I really would just like Legendary to address the oxygen destroyer at all, since that hitting out of nowhere and never getting a single piece of lip service after is my biggest childish crying lore post complaint about the film.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It was an extremely weird pull when we already knew Godzilla vs Kong was going to be coming.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Oxygen Destroyer wasn't used amazingly in the movie but it plays with how it was portrayed in the original movie in interesting ways. It was a horrible weapon of last resort that was a tragedy to ever have to use. 54 highlights how it may have killed this Godzilla, it doesn't solve the problems that created Godzilla. In KotM, it nearly kills Godzilla, who is the only hope for humanity and ends up doing gently caress all to the evil Ghidorah. Neo-Serizawa sacrifices himself to power up Godzilla in opposite of OG-Serizawa who sacrifices himself to stop Godzilla and to ensure there are no more Oxygen Destroyers.

Not letting Godzilla, as a representative of the natural order, just finish Ghidorah results in a ton more death and destruction. The sea is still ruined even after Godzilla wins. I think it still works within what the movie was doing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shiroc posted:

The Oxygen Destroyer wasn't used amazingly in the movie but it plays with how it was portrayed in the original movie in interesting ways. It was a horrible weapon of last resort that was a tragedy to ever have to use.

Yeah the first few times I watched '54 Godzilla I hadn't read up about mass extinction events and didn't appreciate that oceanic oxygen depletion was such an insanely dangerous catastrophe to trigger

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also appreciated that decades later, the '54 Oxygen Destroyer would lead to the bigger problem of Destroyah.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I believe we can find a use for the Oxygen Destroyer that will benefit society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Think of all the jobs the oxygen destroyer will create!