Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Indecisive posted:

the real magic of the old days was the huge community combined with 99% of them knowing jack poo poo about what is optimal so you had people everywhere doing everything, you could get groups doing every conceivable camp and you'd basically never get lectured about how you were 'playing wrong'

also training was just accepted as inevitable and it happened constantly no matter where you were. gently caress i miss trains

D'vinn to zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Indecisive posted:

the real magic of the old days was the huge community combined with 99% of them knowing jack poo poo about what is optimal so you had people everywhere doing everything, you could get groups doing every conceivable camp and you'd basically never get lectured about how you were 'playing wrong'

also training was just accepted as inevitable and it happened constantly no matter where you were. gently caress i miss trains

I remember the etiquette about which side of the zone out you were supposed to train to at places like karnors. Good times

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Solarin posted:

I remember the etiquette about which side of the zone out you were supposed to train to at places like karnors. Good times

I think on Fennin it was right for trains, left for afking.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

That reminds me of another massive live feature now on TLPs: extended target window. It's nutty how strong that feature is. I'd have even less of a clue how FD works without it

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I haven't been on p99 in years (6+?), but at least then, the community was great leveling up, and was really only a cesspool when you got to raiding.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
That’s still the case, also don’t go on the official forums

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Orange DeviI posted:

don’t go on the official forums

This. I had a great time playing p99 on the original Oggwhomp Smash 4-5 years ago. I wondered what the horizon of my play would look like, checked out the forums and immediately stopped playing.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I wondered what the horizon of my play would look like, checked out the forums and immediately stopped playing.

P99 and live forums are both wild places. I don't think either represents the "average" player. Both forums are heavily moderated/censored so any posts with valid complaints are deleted. Both forums match forum accounts to player accounts, which means anything controversial might get your character banned unless you are clever with VPNs.

Most TLP players are okay to interact with. The biggest issues are p99 players not understanding rules or using rules as weapons. (E.G People filing a /petition claiming cheating/automation to get a camp spot cleared.)

The krono farmers are a total different type of player, but p99 had similar issues with RMT and EC trader barons. The p99 RMT market was deeper because it was potentially GM sponsored and characters were more easily sold or became "guild property" when players quit.

Agnarr was close to being a p99 killer, but no one really wanted that LDoN lock, the "truebox" rules were too easily bypassed, and the subscription scared away some users.

Longtime p99 players enjoy the lawyerquest raid conflicts and the rarity of "endgame" loot. TLP players enjoy the instances and the flood of raid loot. I could see a former p99 guild avoiding instances, but they would have a terrible time recruiting from regular TLP players.

Cheating is prevalent on both servers. The scale varies a ton, but even the "minor" p99 cheating like web sharing the boss scouts impacted which guild got to kill the boss.

At least the TLP devs/GM aren't as openly biased towards specific guilds. The devs/gms have also shown they're willing to make improvements when things get really messy.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
P99 is probably neat but I don't know how anyone has time for any of that bullshit in 2022.

TLP lets you get raid geared in a month or less and the quality of life is very, very nice.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
new TLP deets are out : https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-producers-letter-spring-2022

tl;dr

You might be wondering what the rulesets for the new Time-Locked Progression Servers will be. Well, wait no further. We're proud to announce that the new names and rulesets will be: Vaniki, a Level Locked Progression server, and Yelinak, a more traditional progression server similar to the rules for Mangler. We're planning on unlocking those servers on May 25, 2022, at 12:00 p.m. PDT.*

Vaniki will open with Gates of Discord available and a level cap of 40. Then, over time, we will unlock new level caps along with the new expansions. In general, expansions will open when the level cap is 10 levels below the original level cap of the expansions. In many cases, this will cause multiple expansions to unlock on the same day. Once level 60 is reached, the next level change is eight weeks later if more than one expansion opens, and four weeks if only one expansion opens.

The currently planned (subject to change) unlock schedule for Vaniki is:

Open at level 40 with expansions up to Gates of Discord unlocked
Four weeks later: level 50 unlocks
Two weeks later: level 55 unlocks
Four weeks later: level 60 unlocks along with expansions up to Prophecy of Ro
Eight weeks later: level 65 unlocks along with expansions up to The Buried Sea
Eight weeks later: level 70 unlocks along with Secrets of Faydwer
Four weeks later: level 75 unlocks along with expansions up to Underfoot
Eight weeks later: level 80 unlocks along with House of Thule
Four weeks later: level 85 unlocks along with Veil of Alaris
Four weeks later: level 90 unlocks along with expansions up to Call of the Forsaken
Eight weeks later: level 95 unlocks along with expansions up to Empires of Kunark
Eight weeks later: level 100 unlocks along with expansions up to The Burning Lands
Eight weeks later: level 105 unlocks along with expansions up to Claws of Veeshan
Eight weeks later: level 110 unlocks along with Terror of Luclin
Eight weeks later: level 115 unlocks
Eight weeks later: level 120 unlocks

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Ouch. That all sounds deeply unpleasant. Hopefully Yelinak is at least free trade. :sigh:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Yelinak sounds identical to Mangler, so it seems the guess of 'one weird server + one normal server' was correct.

Would totally love a freetrade being added to Yelinak.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Odd they don't mention truebox at all but I feel like they didn't the last round, either.

I don't mind another Mangler but it's still 20 weeks of PoP and the level 70 stretch - the worst part of TLPs - is unchanged :arghfist:.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’m assuming with mention of mangler rules truebox is expected :( maybe the forums will yell loudly enough again to get the rules changed

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I’ll definitely be playing on Yelinak, excited to get my EQ nostalgia fix before I become a father and all my free time disappears!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

vaniki.. might be interesting? it'll make the game a lot more group focused probably since the stuff you get from later expansion group stuff should outvalue what you can get from the older raids you have enough levels for. Hell you could take a raid of level 40s and go try doing level 60 dungeons or something idk. Im sure with so much content open people will have to get up to some weird poo poo. Then again, most later stuff does have level recommendations / requirements so you wont even be able to use it lol. maybe they can be persuaded to adjust those

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Indecisive posted:

vaniki.. might be interesting? it'll make the game a lot more group focused probably since the stuff you get from later expansion group stuff should outvalue what you can get from the older raids you have enough levels for. Hell you could take a raid of level 40s and go try doing level 60 dungeons or something idk. Im sure with so much content open people will have to get up to some weird poo poo. Then again, most later stuff does have level recommendations / requirements so you wont even be able to use it lol. maybe they can be persuaded to adjust those

The notice says they may relax level recommendations / requirements.

For example they could change the planes from 46 to 40. They may also let casters actully hit red mobs since in many cases people will be going after some strong stuff.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah it says they will make it easier for casters to hit higher level mobs or something.

Since loot will not be random, I have a feeling it will mostly leave mischief population alone other than the constant jumpers/krono farmers.

At the very least I think our guild is somewhat safe from it just due to sheer numbers, any we do lose we will likely be able to replace with new blood from other guilds falling apart.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Zil posted:

D'vinn to zone

God I loved old mistmoore. It was such a fantastically spooky, always guaranteed dangerous, place to explore. I fondly remember loading into it my first time and immediately seeing more corpses on the ground than I had ever before. I died about 5 seconds after that, of course to a train waiting on zoneline. :)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

or finding the basement in Unrest for the first time. what a horrifying sight to discover tentacle monters-- OH GOD WHY AM I BEING THROWN AROUND THE ROOM

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

the first time you get blinded when playing* everquest and assuming your graphics card (16mb voodoo 3dfx) died and you freak out

*every loving time I come back to the game, despite how many literal years i've spent in-game

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
anarchy online did that too and it ruled lol

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Dubious posted:

new TLP deets are out : https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-producers-letter-spring-2022

tl;dr

You might be wondering what the rulesets for the new Time-Locked Progression Servers will be. Well, wait no further. We're proud to announce that the new names and rulesets will be: Vaniki, a Level Locked Progression server, and Yelinak, a more traditional progression server similar to the rules for Mangler. We're planning on unlocking those servers on May 25, 2022, at 12:00 p.m. PDT.*

Vaniki will open with Gates of Discord available and a level cap of 40. Then, over time, we will unlock new level caps along with the new expansions. In general, expansions will open when the level cap is 10 levels below the original level cap of the expansions. In many cases, this will cause multiple expansions to unlock on the same day. Once level 60 is reached, the next level change is eight weeks later if more than one expansion opens, and four weeks if only one expansion opens.

The currently planned (subject to change) unlock schedule for Vaniki is:

Open at level 40 with expansions up to Gates of Discord unlocked
Four weeks later: level 50 unlocks
Two weeks later: level 55 unlocks
Four weeks later: level 60 unlocks along with expansions up to Prophecy of Ro
Eight weeks later: level 65 unlocks along with expansions up to The Buried Sea
Eight weeks later: level 70 unlocks along with Secrets of Faydwer
Four weeks later: level 75 unlocks along with expansions up to Underfoot
Eight weeks later: level 80 unlocks along with House of Thule
Four weeks later: level 85 unlocks along with Veil of Alaris
Four weeks later: level 90 unlocks along with expansions up to Call of the Forsaken
Eight weeks later: level 95 unlocks along with expansions up to Empires of Kunark
Eight weeks later: level 100 unlocks along with expansions up to The Burning Lands
Eight weeks later: level 105 unlocks along with expansions up to Claws of Veeshan
Eight weeks later: level 110 unlocks along with Terror of Luclin
Eight weeks later: level 115 unlocks
Eight weeks later: level 120 unlocks

i don't know how they come up with these things, Selo wasn't exactly a raging success and they think a server that's even faster unlocks + some weirdo level lock thing that has people trying to beat SoF content at 70 is going to be popular? They really should give up on this yearly TLP thing until they've got some decent ideas.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Back in the day I quit once GoD hit on live and have not yet played a TLP past Luclin. I'm honestly interested in Vaniki because I feel a lot of folks will be out of their element and it will be interesting learning old poo poo we've not experienced before together. Running older raids with a large group of 40s actually sounds kind of fun.

To me, Vaniki seems like a TLP that is trying to get classic players to check out the later expansions they've traditionally disliked, maybe they can make them more interesting / suck less if more players are in that era?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It’s not to my taste but I don’t mind the experiment. I wish the alternative could be a free trade server starting in Classic. My ideal would be to reboot Mischief so I can redo Classic through Velious, but free trade without the random loot would be fine.

Ugh, I told myself I was gonna take 2023 off but now I’m getting the itch and trying to talk myself into Yelinak.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Coolnezzz posted:

Back in the day I quit once GoD hit on live and have not yet played a TLP past Luclin. I'm honestly interested in Vaniki because I feel a lot of folks will be out of their element and it will be interesting learning old poo poo we've not experienced before together. Running older raids with a large group of 40s actually sounds kind of fun.

To me, Vaniki seems like a TLP that is trying to get classic players to check out the later expansions they've traditionally disliked, maybe they can make them more interesting / suck less if more players are in that era?

Thory Crafters think the fast way to go on Vaniki is to get to 15 however, then LDON to 40 / 50.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
So frogs and berserkers and stuff will be available day 1 on Vaniki? That kinda owns

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

PyRosflam posted:

Thory Crafters think the fast way to go on Vaniki is to get to 15 however, then LDON to 40 / 50.

Sounds about right to me, a lot of people hate on LDON but it was actually kind of ground breaking at the time and I hear it's the way to go for those levels (and into the 70s?) even on live severs if not running a heroic character.

cmdrk posted:

So frogs and berserkers and stuff will be available day 1 on Vaniki? That kinda owns

Yep!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I want to know about how autogrant is going to work with the content release schedule. I haven’t thought at all about it other than to wonder if this means you’ll almost never have to grind AA because the expansions will be well ahead of autogrants.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

koreban posted:

I want to know about how autogrant is going to work with the content release schedule. I haven’t thought at all about it other than to wonder if this means you’ll almost never have to grind AA because the expansions will be well ahead of autogrants.

super curious on that one, too. especially since you won't be earning AA for the first couple expansion unlocks, right? That starts at level 60? So 10 weeks of exp / running around before you can earn AA, unless they also tweaked that and it begins at 40..? (I've never really leveled an alt up in an era with AAs, so not being max-level when they were enabled, is unfamiliar to me)

It's gonna be a mess. Expecting a ton of emergency maintenance to take place when they realize they got a value wrong somewhere

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

onesixtwo posted:

super curious on that one, too. especially since you won't be earning AA for the first couple expansion unlocks, right? That starts at level 60? So 10 weeks of exp / running around before you can earn AA, unless they also tweaked that and it begins at 40..? (I've never really leveled an alt up in an era with AAs, so not being max-level when they were enabled, is unfamiliar to me)

It's gonna be a mess. Expecting a ton of emergency maintenance to take place when they realize they got a value wrong somewhere

Luclin AA's, the OGs, are available before and up to 60.

If DoDH is open on launch then autogrant should be open? I guess you'll get them autogranted as the level range unlocks.

E: looks like they'd open at the level 60 unlock and not launch?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The level lock one seems straight from some burnt out TLP veteran's daydreaming forum post. In fact I'm sure they took notes from 'notable' people in the community. As with most gamer daydreamed poo poo it sounds fun to talk about and terrible to play. I think they need to baseline a lot of later era features (OOC regen, tranquil blessings) to make wiping less of a huge waste of time. Pushing difficulty up without QoL like that just sounds horrible to me. Who the gently caress would sign up to raid as a healer or buffer on this server. And with truebox assumed you can't (legally) just have KissAssist do it.

The server seems made for one type of player: the ones that want to show they're the best and be rewarded with things other people don't have. That's fine though, those people having a server doesn't bother me. The rules just strike me as a confusing mess and hilariously hostile to casual players.

For the Mangler clone the unlocks seem absurdly fast. They're unlocks for people that play several hours every day. They made sense on Mischief with the massive amount of loot filing every hole. Seems like single box casual 'couple days a week' players got left out on both servers.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

AAs start in luclin at level 50.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Yeah it looks like on Vaniki you'd be doing very little AA grinding as by the time your level unlocks to the point of being able to even train most of them they're autogranted by the expansion unlocks anyway, if this https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Progression_Servers table is correct for the server that is, which it probably will be as they're lazy and want to make as few script changes as possible to a TLP in general. Still going to be a hardcore play every day 8+ hours a day server if you want to raid, as every single point of AC, ATK etc is going to matter, min maxing as a warrior is going to be even more important than it was even on Selo because you won't get 'in era' gear to lean on for your bulk AC.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/everquest-producers-letter-april-2022.281901/page-5#post-4119914

quote:

Update regarding True Box: Both Vaniki and Yelinak will have Mangler-style True Box enabled at launch. When Yelinak unlocks Omens of War, we will enable Relaxed True Box. This means that you can have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same time. When Vaniki unlocks Prophecy of Ro, we will enable Relaxed True Box there. When each server reaches The Buried Sea, we will disable True Box on the server that has just reached The Buried Sea. This only applies to these servers and any other True Box / not True Box rules remain the same.
:eyepop:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Well that is interesting, I wonder if some of the push for a 64-bit client, aside from bringing it into the modern era, was to allow the official use of multiboxing on one box.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Fanelien posted:

Still going to be a hardcore play every day 8+ hours a day server if you want to raid, as every single point of AC, ATK etc is going to matter, min maxing as a warrior is going to be even more important than it was even on Selo because you won't get 'in era' gear to lean on for your bulk AC.

I think progress will be limited by how many tank glyphs you can grind once the 65 era hits. Not hard to imagine tanks using 100 AA of glyphs in one raid.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Coolnezzz posted:

Well that is interesting, I wonder if some of the push for a 64-bit client, aside from bringing it into the modern era, was to allow the official use of multiboxing on one box.

I feel like it's more based on population data, and they know how the trueboxing ruleset as the server pop crashes ends up hurting more than helping.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

We've heard your pleas about collapsing guilds and dying TLP servers and have devised a solution: quit your server and play on the new one that has this one weird trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Solarin posted:

We've heard your pleas about collapsing guilds and dying TLP servers and have devised a solution: quit your server and play on the new one that has this one weird trick

Skinnerbox MMOs have always been about social connections and hopeless addicts.