Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ingesting ionizing radiation is generally considered a bad move at the laboratory where I work. They even brief custodial staff about this before they can start work. It's considered a big deal.

So yeah, I'm also in camp turbofucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

On the other hand, you might get cool superpowers

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Saw this on Steam.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

orange juche posted:

On the other hand, you might get cool superpowers

Like the ability to poo poo your entire intestinal tract?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Like the ability to poo poo your entire intestinal tract?

"STOP, CRIMINAL!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
can someone do a "Dominic you rat/spicy keychain" edit but for russian troops in Chernobyl

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Say, question. Say you're this infantryman. You're wandering around alone in the wild without your gun for whatever reason when you spot a drone, and you're certain that it spotted you and is following you. What should you be doing instead of running back to your base and letting the enemy know where your guys are? Sit around and wait until it gets bored/runs out of batteries, gambling that it won't want to waste too much time calling down fire on one dude? Try to hide?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

orange juche posted:

That's only detecting gamma so it doesn't pick up the *much more dangerous* alpha and beta particles which would be the primary sources from digging in the dirt.

Tiny amounts of alpha particles can make your day very very bad.

Alpha is dangerous if you breath it in, but otherwise alpha and beta are less dangerous. Consuming/breathing ANY of those is bad for you.

But its also assuming they didn't dig trenches into dirt that might have had fragments of graphite or even fuel buried underneath, or steal something they found inside the plant itself as a 'cool trophy'. Or if they slept/hung around stuff long buried during the cleanup...

Right now its all conjecture, we don't know anything about their cases/exposure.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tomn posted:

Say, question. Say you're this infantryman. You're wandering around alone in the wild without your gun for whatever reason when you spot a drone, and you're certain that it spotted you and is following you. What should you be doing instead of running back to your base and letting the enemy know where your guys are? Sit around and wait until it gets bored/runs out of batteries, gambling that it won't want to waste too much time calling down fire on one dude? Try to hide?

Shoot it with your rifle that you didn't lose

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

I think part of the problem is the drone might have some offensive capability. He might be worried it could drop some type of explosive or whatever.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah, you are an idiot for wandering around a war zone without your weapon. You are an even bigger idiot if you lead the flying eyeball back to the rest of your unit. Run inside a building, under some trees, anywhere other than directly back to the thing you know the eyeball in the sky is looking for.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I got cancer looting poo poo from Chernobyl, and all I got for it was a GTX 1070.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1511979704143822850

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Imp of Nipples posted:

I think part of the problem is the drone might have some offensive capability. He might be worried it could drop some type of explosive or whatever.

Right but anyone with an ounce of discipline knows this calculation. “This thing might kill me” vs “This thing might kill me and everyone else in my unit” same reason you spread out and make the enemy earn their kills.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hekk posted:

Right but anyone with an ounce of discipline knows this calculation. “This thing might kill me” vs “This thing might kill me and everyone else in my unit” same reason you spread out and make the enemy earn their kills.

Yeah but that's assuming he cares about his unit. The fact that he ran back leads be to believe that he's either dumb and/or doesn't really have all that camaraderie with his unit.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I dunno, we've been seeing an awful lot of footage of Russian troops displaying anything but basic soldier skills, so I'm willing to bet that thought never even occurred to that doofus.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

golden bubble posted:

I got cancer looting poo poo from Chernobyl, and all I got for it was a GTX 1070.

Somebody's been playing too much Tarkov.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Holy poo poo I’ve tuned out the war for a couple weeks, expecting to hear that Russia has slowly continued to gain ground but instead they’ve pulled the Kiev offensive almost entirely while accomplishing almost nothing anywhere else lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

golden bubble posted:

No wonder I find no gpus but plenty of power supplies in Tarkov. It's true to life.

Efb.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hekk posted:

Not in Russia lmao

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Mouthpiece agency reporting on words uttered by professional liar, truckload of salt: https://archive.ph/OoRYX

RT posted:

Kremlin hopes operation in Ukraine ends ‘in coming days’
Either the Russian forces will reach their goals in Ukraine or Moscow and Kiev will reach an agreement in the near future, the Kremlin says

Moscow hopes the Russian military operation in Ukraine might end in the near future, possibly “in the coming days,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Sky News on Thursday. Either the Russian troops will end it by reaching their military goals or Moscow and Kiev will reach an agreement through negotiations, he added.

*hot garbage snipped*

A faint glimmer of hope that perhaps Russia understand that they can't win, and might try to weasel their way out somehow? :shrug:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

The literal embodiment of not great, not terrible. I wonder what the dosage rate was before that soil got disturbed.

From when I was at Chernobyl in winter of 2019, i found a picture of a dosimeter from just standing around.

https://imgur.com/a/DphWIkT

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Naked Bear posted:

Mouthpiece agency reporting on words uttered by professional liar, truckload of salt: https://archive.ph/OoRYX

A faint glimmer of hope that perhaps Russia understand that they can't win, and might try to weasel their way out somehow? :shrug:

After they've scurried across the border with a few cars and macbooks im sure.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Tomn posted:

Well, if you're wandering around alone and weaponless in a warzone, you've kind of already failed. But then running straight to camp over open terrain and not even trying to, I dunno, find some sort of cover or a tree to hide behind, is probably low on the list of things to do.

Then again, it's not like that camp was particularly well camouflaged, and it was straight down the road. The drone operator was probably already aware of them and wanted to torment some poor dumb conscript.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Holy poo poo I’ve tuned out the war for a couple weeks, expecting to hear that Russia has slowly continued to gain ground but instead they’ve pulled the Kiev offensive almost entirely while accomplishing almost nothing anywhere else lmao

They accomplished a lot of warcrimes tho

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Sentinel posted:

After they've scurried across the border with a few cars and macbooks im sure.

Sorry, those are just "alternate imports"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Still laughing about the Russian looter who took out his loving ceramic plate and replaced it with a MacBook he stole.

Just no loving brains at all.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

orange juche posted:

Still laughing about the Russian looter who took out his loving ceramic plate and replaced it with a MacBook he stole.

I was breaking down how the war was going to a friend and a coworker the other day and told that story.
The faces they made after i mentioned that were priceless in their own way.
Stupid appears to be a human constant.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A.o.D. posted:

It occurs to me that The Colour out of Space is a better allegory for atomic horror than Godzilla.

Lovecraft probably based the symptoms that the characters suffered in that on descriptions of radium necrosis. It was written when the Radium Girls were all over the news.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Crab Dad posted:

Crimean sea bases are going to leased to the US for a dollar a decade by then end of this war.

The geopolitics of the next decade are gonna be a loving trip and a half

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kesper North posted:

The geopolitics of the next decade are gonna be a loving trip and a half

The radiobiology of the next century will be even crazier

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

It's entirely possible the "plate" was actually cardboard and the Mac was an upgrade.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

I'm responding to a couple of different posts, but I've only got one quoted.

Unless Ukraine capitulates and signs over territory in the east or Russia pulls out in toto (probably back to the 2013 borders) I don't see a signed deal ending this (unless there's a regime change in Russia).

A ceasefire is just giving Russia a chance to reset and un-gently caress their supply issues, reform cohesive units out of the shattered remnants of what's been pulled out of the north, and do more war criming. I am confident that Ukraine knows this.

As to what Russia's future looks like: An increasingly dilapidated petrol station driving Chinese growth and development.

Notahippie posted:

China is so far waffling but increasingly willing to back Russia. India likewise but I bet if China goes all-in on Russia then they'll realign back to the US. Surprisingly, Vietnam just voted today at the UN against censuring Russia, so they might be part of that too. If Russia ramps the war crimes up even more (they're going to) and/or if they actually use a WMD then we might see some re-realignment, but at the moment it looks like what it comes down to is that some countries see the current US/European-led global systems as worse than letting Russia have free rein in Ukraine and this is one of the turnpoints in history where they have to pick one or the other. I think if the war just kind of peters out and Putin stays in power, in a couple of years China will be the shot-caller of the bloc that comes out of this that includes Russia and some other countries.

What China gets out of noncriticism of Russia:

• As long as they can dodge any secondary sanctions, they get stranded oil and gas that no-one else wants to buy at knock down rates they specify; I think that they're buying some gas at below production costs already
  • They get a dangerously unpredictable force directly threatening Europe, which is a fly in the ointment of any pivot to the Pacific
  • CN may be thinking it would benefit from nations in their neighborhood switching spheres of influence, if those nations formed the opinion that the West might put up token efforts at best in their defence.

Unless it looks like secondary sanctions are on the menu, I don't see CN backing out of their support for Russia while there's boundless cheap energy to be had.

On the Russia/China dynamic: Russia was always doomed to be the junior partner in the totalitarian club.

India, frankly, I don't watch India. Probably a combination of the cheap stranded oil, ongoing support for Russian sourced equipment, and maybe an SC veto in case it's needed over Kashmir?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just lmao if this winds up with China absorbing Russia

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I saw one video clip which showed some 'reactive armour' blocks that had fallen off the top of a tank turret - they were clearly just empty metal shells with nothing inside them.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Eej posted:

They accomplished a lot of warcrimes tho

Yeah, that was a given once they encounter any frustration though :(

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just lmao if this winds up with China absorbing Russia

It’s still a pretty big deal imo that China hasn’t really picked a side on this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So the Russians rocketed a train depot that was in the middle of processing civilian evacuations.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1512347706563387400?s=20&t=OBUFDFYyeIIHI-VEJrhWdQ

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not to put too fine a point on it, but does Russia not understand that these are Europeans they are slaughtering and the west will actually give a poo poo about this?

Does Putin want to be god emperor of s pariah state?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

30 dead so far. Christ.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That Works posted:

So the Russians rocketed a train depot that was in the middle of processing civilian evacuations.

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1512347706563387400?s=20&t=OBUFDFYyeIIHI-VEJrhWdQ

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1512352119927492611?t=iIED3_b8_WGfPzo4S1kXlQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

That Works posted:

Wouldn't mind if the US uses Lend-Lease to deliver a couple of hundred cruise missiles with free delivery wherever Ukraine wants them.

or just drop off a few of the Marines's prepositioned ships

Raged fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 8, 2022