Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

mobby_6kl posted:

What about the Czech Republic, my dude. Not quite "west" but not too hosed up either
I like the food and the drinks and the people so not a bad idea.

Mokotow posted:

Why don’t we all move to Latvia - with all the EE thread goons moving there, we could easilly account for like 70% of the electorate, plus we have an IK there already.
My wife told me she didn't leave Moscow to go somewhere colder. So the Baltics is out of the question. I would love to tho.

goethe42 posted:

How about eastern Slovakia then? We have low prices(lower than the Bratislava-Vienna region at least), a conservative-but-not-far-right government (the only in V4), plenty of Hungarian speakers, alpine mountains, no saltwater shoreline, but a few lakes and it's only about 3 hours to Budapest.
This is the best idea so far, I will see if maybe we can rent/buy something there as a "weekend house" at first and see how it is. I have relatives living close to the border which is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Gervasius posted:

Yeah, I'd recommend against it. We are on downward spiral, our hopelessly corrupt ruling party is currently unchallenged and will stay in power for foreseeable future, we currently second poorest EU nation and there are no signs that things will ever get better. But at least food is nice, coast is pretty but people are garbage.

Literally the whole Europe is currently on a downward spiral but aren't we (Croatia) showing signs of relative progress? Like, smaller debt, higher wages and BDP? And three out of four biggest cities ruled by lefty/liberal opposition? I was under the impression that we were slowly moving up (which isn't that hard if your reference point is the literal bottom).

Randarkman posted:

I always thought Slovenia seemed like the nicest EE country to live in, it's like Northern Italy or Austria without the Italians or Austria.

I heard an interesting take about Slovenia suffering from falling into cracks between east and west. They distanced themselves from ex-Yu countries and stopped learning Croato-Serbian language. This is understandable on one level but on another they lost a big market and a part of identity. If you're French or Serbian or whatever, why bother with a second rate Austria when you can go and study or do business or travel in Austria proper. You'll speak English either way.

It could be just some Slovenian writers complaining because nobody wants to translate their novels. I'd be interested in Slovenian goons' opinion.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor Malaver posted:

Literally the whole Europe is currently on a downward spiral but aren't we (Croatia) showing signs of relative progress? Like, smaller debt, higher wages and BDP? And three out of four biggest cities ruled by lefty/liberal opposition? I was under the impression that we were slowly moving up (which isn't that hard if your reference point is the literal bottom).

I heard an interesting take about Slovenia suffering from falling into cracks between east and west. They distanced themselves from ex-Yu countries and stopped learning Croato-Serbian language. This is understandable on one level but on another they lost a big market and a part of identity. If you're French or Serbian or whatever, why bother with a second rate Austria when you can go and study or do business or travel in Austria proper. You'll speak English either way.

It could be just some Slovenian writers complaining because nobody wants to translate their novels. I'd be interested in Slovenian goons' opinion.

We never really learned Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian/Montenegran language when we were in Yugo. To put into comparison, an average slovene growing up in the old country would have one hour of Srbo-croatian language class a week when aged 10 years old. After that if was elective. Most people just pick it up from friends and family. Source: my parents.
Whereas english language has 4 hours a week for 8 years in elementary school. Even more afterwards.
So Slovenia is effectively an english speaking country.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

They distanced themselves from ex-Yu countries and stopped learning Croato-Serbian language.

In the Zagreb airport, If you are over a certain age and hold a Slovene passport, people just assume that you speak, or at least understand, Croatian. I speak Slovenian and hold a passport, but didn't grow up there and spend the summer months at the Croatian seaside or have any reason to learn Croato-Serbian, so when officials start yelling at me in Croatian I just kind of give the blank stare until they realize that I don't understand them.

My relatives' and friends' children only know a bit from spending summers at the shore, and it's probably easier for them these days, since kruh je kruh :v:

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 8, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I've had this image stored in an image folder for the last decade or so. That's about the only thing I know about the cultural and linguistic differences that there are.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kaczynski on Orban (radio interview):

“If Orban’s behavior doesn’t change, we can’t cooperate the way we have in the past”

and

“If Orban can’t see what happened in Bucha, he might need to visit an ophthalmologist” (Orban wanted an investigation first, because stuff is easy to fake in the modern world)

https://www.rp.pl/polityka/art36040291-kaczynski-krytykuje-orbana-nie-mozemy-wspolpracowac-tak-jak-dotad

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Fairly grim article out of Latvia that points out that rape victims fleeing from Ukraine may experience difficulties accessing abortions in Poland and that NGOs are asking the Polish gov to make exceptions. Latvia is working to make the procedure easier to access and to allow the costs to cover by the state. There have been no inquiries locally, but there has been an inquiry on behalf of a woman located in Poland.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arz...&utm_medium=soc

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, that will be the case. Polish NGOs already were preparing to transport ladies that want abortion to Slovakia or other countries.
As an aside: PiS fucks from Podkarpackie that were first to push the "conscience clause" were also the first to organise companies that do travels to abortion clinics outside of country.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/oecd_social/status/1511302990292041731

Nasing spešal

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's a coping mechanism

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Pajser posted:

We never really learned Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian/Montenegran language when we were in Yugo. To put into comparison, an average slovene growing up in the old country would have one hour of Srbo-croatian language class a week when aged 10 years old. After that if was elective. Most people just pick it up from friends and family. Source: my parents.
Whereas english language has 4 hours a week for 8 years in elementary school. Even more afterwards.
So Slovenia is effectively an english speaking country.

The_Franz posted:

In the Zagreb airport, If you are over a certain age and hold a Slovene passport, people just assume that you speak, or at least understand, Croatian. I speak Slovenian and hold a passport, but didn't grow up there and spend the summer months at the Croatian seaside or have any reason to learn Croato-Serbian, so when officials start yelling at me in Croatian I just kind of give the blank stare until they realize that I don't understand them.

My relatives' and friends' children only know a bit from spending summers at the shore, and it's probably easier for them these days, since kruh je kruh :v:

Interesting, and how Croato-Serbian treated on the TV in Yugoslavia? Was it subtitled?

a podcast for cats posted:

I've had this image stored in an image folder for the last decade or so. That's about the only thing I know about the cultural and linguistic differences that there are.

This is great! I understand everything except the triangle and the lightning symbol.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Since Latvia is on the lower end of the obesity list I can only assume that a pure alcohol diet should be recommended to the whole of the americas?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

Since Latvia is on the lower end of the obesity list I can only assume that a pure alcohol diet should be recommended to the whole of the americas?

As an overweight Latvian non-drinker, no comment.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I'm really surprised the Austrians managed to place above us.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

Zudgemud posted:

There was an old Soviet joke, that went like this:

- Dad, dad, they said on the radio that vodka is going to be more expensive this year! Does that mean you will be drinking less now?!

- No honey, it means you and mom will be eating less now.

In all honesty, I don't think there's a correlation though.

Edit: To add content, the Latvian police has initiated 20 criminal cases to date that concern assault, harassment or property damage against Ukrainians. Cars with Ukrainian plates getting vandalised, that sort of thing.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 8, 2022

sad question
May 30, 2020

Polish government decided that tomorrow air sirens will be activated in the morning to commemorate victims of Smolensk air crash. Extremely cool thing to do to thousands of Ukrainian refugees.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sad question posted:

Polish government decided that tomorrow air sirens will be activated in the morning to commemorate victims of Smolensk air crash. Extremely cool thing to do to thousands of Ukrainian refugees.

:staredog: There’s no way this isn’t intentional, is there?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:staredog: There’s no way this isn’t intentional, is there?

Nah, they aren't that evil. It's all about their death cult of air accident, but now they can "prove" Kremlin was behind it. Fuckers lucked out we have real monsters just across the border, I really hope they lose next elections and next government goes all retribution on them, :decorum: be damned.
Mayor of Warsaw had some strong words about it though. I imagine he wasn't the only one.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Smolensk catastrophe activated extreme brainworms in many people. Especially Kaczynski, who, coincidentally, recently confirmed his belief that it was caused by sabotage.

Edit: Also I now realized how loving stupid this is when we have war near our border :psyduck:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

sad question posted:

Smolensk catastrophe activated extreme brainworms in many people. Especially Kaczynski, who, coincidentally, recently confirmed his belief that it was caused by sabotage.

Edit: Also I now realized how loving stupid this is when we have war near our border :psyduck:

I mean specifically in Kaczyński's case it's absolutely no surprise. His twin brother dies in a terrible catastrophe and then he has to lie to their dying mother about how everything is all right. For weeks. I can't imagine how anyone anywhere could just walk away from something like that without terrible scars. Naturally, the proper course of action would be to retire and maybe not lash out on the entire population of a country because of your grief, but, well.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
In Denmark the air raid sirens are tested once a year the first wednesday in May. There is some effort from the authorities to get some forward warning out to all the refugees. I haven't seen anyone trying to potspone the test though.

https://www.brs.dk/globalassets/brs...ed200dpia4-.pdf

https://www.brs.dk/globalassets/brs---beredskabsstyrelsen/dokumenter/krisekommunikation/2022/----ukr_red200a4_v2-.pdf

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

catfry posted:

In Denmark the air raid sirens are tested once a year the first wednesday in May. There is some effort from the authorities to get some forward warning out to all the refugees. I haven't seen anyone trying to potspone the test though.

https://www.brs.dk/globalassets/brs...ed200dpia4-.pdf

https://www.brs.dk/globalassets/brs---beredskabsstyrelsen/dokumenter/krisekommunikation/2022/----ukr_red200a4_v2-.pdf

In Finland it's the first Monday of every month at 12.00. I recall back in the 1990's it was tested weekly.

Calling them air raid sirens is a bit misleading though, they are also used if eg. a chemical leak occurs and people should avoid outdoors.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Nenonen posted:

In Finland it's the first Monday of every month at 12.00. I recall back in the 1990's it was tested weekly.

Calling them air raid sirens is a bit misleading though, they are also used if eg. a chemical leak occurs and people should avoid outdoors.

Similar thing in Hungary, every month on a set date. Next one is... tomorrow at 11am.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In Latvia it happens twice per year, but there’s no predefined time.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Warsaw does this every year on August 1st on the eve on the Warsaw Uprising. It’s kinda cool and I always get emotional, because for a minute, all people and traffic stop, everybody honks and all vehicles with sirens turn them on, too. It’s worth experiencing at least once.

https://youtu.be/Ejd2rsXoQSI

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's every first Wednesday of the month or something like that. Often enough that you remember it's a thing, but rarely enough that you're not sure if it's a test or the real deal.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Tevery Best posted:

I mean specifically in Kaczyński's case it's absolutely no surprise. His twin brother dies in a terrible catastrophe and then he has to lie to their dying mother about how everything is all right. For weeks. I can't imagine how anyone anywhere could just walk away from something like that without terrible scars. Naturally, the proper course of action would be to retire and maybe not lash out on the entire population of a country because of your grief, but, well.

Whenever I think about this it never ceases to amaze me how - and I'm as annoyed as anyone by people who constantly relate real world politics to pop culture tropes, but seriously - Kaczyński has a villain origin story, and one you'd call far-fetched if you saw it in a piece of fiction. Especially when you take into account that Lech was always considered the "relatively normal one" who kept Jarosław grounded in everyday reality, so his death, in addition to driving his twin insane with grief, took away JK's remaining connection to the world of normal people who have interests beyond power politics.

It is absurd that this hacky storyline from an HBO drama took place in real life and now we all have to live in its consequences.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

It's every first Wednesday of the month or something like that. Often enough that you remember it's a thing, but rarely enough that you're not sure if it's a test or the real deal.

Protip is that the real deal is never a continuous tone, unlike the test.

Anyway, the monthly tests have been cancelled for now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ah, air raid sirens. Some states in the US have them all over the place as tornado warnings. And they test them often.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

steinrokkan posted:

Protip is that the real deal is never a continuous tone, unlike the test.

Anyway, the monthly tests have been cancelled for now.

I got curious and read up on our system. Its called MoLaRi (Monitoring és Lakossági Riasztó) unrelated to Londo.
System has 4 different sounds "Air raid alert" "Disaster alert" "Alert over" and "Test".
Thing is the only one I ever knew is the test sound, I did know there could be air raid and chemical spill warnings but had no idea they are different. Makes sense that one of them warns you to go to the basement, the other tells you to stay inside. Now I even know which is which.

I do have to say that every time I hear the test the poo poo freezes inside me, its so fuckin eerie. It also doesn't help that we don't have the system in ALL districts, so I never hear it at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWo95EalWMQ

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 10, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There was a time when the siren “language” was thought in schools. It’s actually a fairly robust system, with all types of different warnings. That system is still in place but pretty much no one knows anymore what the individual differences between signals are.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Nenonen posted:

There's a really loud one my Alma mater campus and I think it should maybe get more than just a passing mention during the introduction period for foreign students. You see a lot of shaken foreign students at lunch on their first first Monday of the month.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I figured this would be a better place to ask this than the Ukrainian War thread.

I was watching a France24 clip of a discussion panel on allowing Ukraine into the EU. One of the panelist mentioned that there are “some people” in the EU who feel that Ukraine is “too large and too foreign” to be allowed into the EU and that they should be treated more like Turkey since these people believe that Ukrainians aren’t really European. The panelist also implied that Macron may be one of these people.

Is this actually a common belief or opinion? Aside from the race science aspect of it, it sounds more like these people are more concerned about the money that would be required, especially after the war, to rebuild, repair, and upgrade Ukraine’s infrastructure.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

I figured this would be a better place to ask this than the Ukrainian War thread.

I was watching a France24 clip of a discussion panel on allowing Ukraine into the EU. One of the panelist mentioned that there are “some people” in the EU who feel that Ukraine is “too large and too foreign” to be allowed into the EU and that they should be treated more like Turkey since these people believe that Ukrainians aren’t really European. The panelist also implied that Macron may be one of these people.

Is this actually a common belief or opinion? Aside from the race science aspect of it, it sounds more like these people are more concerned about the money that would be required, especially after the war, to rebuild, repair, and upgrade Ukraine’s infrastructure.

The biggest fear i've heard is getting another member for Visegrad to mess around with the EU proceedings, plus pissing off Russia. Ukraine is as "foreign" as every former Yugoslavian euro member so i don't think that's going to stick.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That sounds like they were alluding to the Rassemblement National, Le Pen's party, more than Macron's Macron party.

The line of "France has paid a lot of money for other countries and Frexit would be much better" is popular for Le Pen, and of course a lot of money would go to Ukraine. (Has already gone to Ukraine as well, btw)

There are some arguments against letting Ukraine join the EU but they are primarily focused on reforming the EU's structure first to prevent another Poland/Hungary situation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Some countries have spoken out against being especially enthusiastic with EU membership prospects for Ukraine, but those that I’ve seen I’ve felt were “one thing at a time” kind of arguments primarily. Undoubtedly, some political forces in EU will see Ukraine’s membership undesirable for a variety of reasons, including xenophobia, but on the other hand we’ll be helping to pay for restoration of Ukraine anyway, so we might as well repair their civil institutions, not just roads. Besides, it’s a technologically modern country with 40 million people - that’s a lot of cheap workforce that European capitalists definitely are excited about.

Turkish EU membership, before practical concerns, faces 2 political obstacles - Erdogan is a regressive autocrat, and it’s a Muslim country.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thanks for the insight. The concerns over Ukraine causing problems like Poland or Hungry or saying “let’s deal with the war first” make sense. I don’t know why the opposition wasn’t framed that way instead of “too foreign”.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

How the gently caress is Latvia winning by a whole litre?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It should also be noted that no matter what happens, there won't be a fast EU membership for Ukraine. Being part of the EU requires specific legal structures in the member countries, and those requirements simply can't be waived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

How the gently caress is Latvia winning by a whole litre?

Have you tried drinking instead of talking? :smug:

The serious answer is probably ‘rona, seems to have really boosted booze sales here. One of the first things we did into the lockdowns was legalise buying alcohol online, so you can now get beers with your food delivery and whatnot.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thanks for the insight. The concerns over Ukraine causing problems like Poland or Hungry or saying “let’s deal with the war first” make sense. I don’t know why the opposition wasn’t framed that way instead of “too foreign”.

Poland is the single most sympathetic to Ukraine EU member state, it’s not a country you should be thinking about here. Hungary will cause problems for Ukrainian membership, due to Hungarian minority in Ukraine, but that would happen in any case - Orban is wont to gently caress others over for personal gain. The “one thing at a time” countries here are the same countries that support austerity measures for the Eurocrisis, like the Netherlands or Germany.