Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
between seb going on a scooter adventure and maybe getting fined for it, that marshall faceplanting as the commentary speculated on how embarrassing that would be, and will buxton going on about how porpoising would utterly smash your dick up, this was a great night to be trashed watching cars go round at 2am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Nowher posted:

I was watching that marshall and thinking if that was me the only thing going through my head would be "don't gently caress this up! " and bam! :xd:

I almost posted just before he fell over that he was going a bit too fast and looked like he would fall. :xd:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Was porpoising this big an issue last time ground effect was legal?

Not really. In those times, the ground effect was generated quite differently, as it didn‘t drive a huge rear end complicated diffusor as they have now (which then stalls), and was protected by actual, physical sideskirts that prevented any air from exiting to the side, even if the rear of the car went too low. As I understand it - and please Rebus correct my laymen stuff - when the car gets too low at the rear, the diffusor is no longer fed with enough high speed, low pressure air, and a lot of that now has to find other ways to come to equilibrium, i.e. exiting to the sides, which are no longer as well protected by a directed Y250 vortex and stuff generated from the bargeboards.

So the whole concept goes from working to absolutely no longer working to working again as the diffusor again gets cleaner air through the Venturi tunnels.

There is a pretty interesting shot of the underfloor from the Red Bull where it seems it directs the air in a more direct way to the diffusor and thus might not struggle as much as other cars in regard to bouncing. But that‘s all speculation of course.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this finally the weekend where Our Lewis Rises?

Please show us a sign in fp3, maybe?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:lando: :lando: :lando: :lando:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

cannot believe the injustice being thrown our way in europe with these ridiculous schedules...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Edward Mass posted:

Croft suggesting a VSC during practice. :wtc:

Some series do this just to avoid how long a red flag takes.

$10 Crofty doesn't know that and is an idiot.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Residency Evil posted:

Given that he was P7 at 1.2 seconds slower than Leur Charles in FP1, and P13 (wow (lol)) at 1.5 seconds slower than Leclerc in FP2, I wouldn't get my hopes up OP.

EDIT: Also:

Hamilton posted:

It’s just nothing you change on the car makes a difference at the moment, so that’s the difficult thing. You get in very optimistic and then you make changes and then it doesn’t really seem to want to improve.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...hGufmv35CT.html

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Residency Evil posted:

and drops and rises and drops and rises and drops andrisesanddropsandrisesanddrops...

Particularly coming into Turn 9, apparently.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

refleks posted:

cannot believe the injustice being thrown our way in europe with these ridiculous schedules...

I actually don't mind too much. It's an excuse to wake up at 7 AM on Sunday, watch the race, get croissants for breakfast in bed with my girlfriend at 9 AM, who knows where that leads, and then we can start the day! Much better than having to be home in the afternoon.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Both Mercedes Will be out in q1 lmao

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Mercedes didn't bring any upgrades for their car this weekend, so they are going to struggle.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Deltasquid posted:

I actually don't mind too much. It's an excuse to wake up at 7 AM on Sunday, watch the race, get croissants for breakfast in bed with my girlfriend at 9 AM, who knows where that leads, and then we can start the day! Much better than having to be home in the afternoon.

We all know where that leads and it’s a bed full of croissant flakes

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What the gently caress this race is at like 1 am

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ethanol posted:

It’s down right discriminatory, op

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I'm going to be drunk off My rear end for Qualy and the race

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Caught the last few minutes of fp2 because I had to feed my cats. Things not looking good for Mercedes. :smith:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The new track layout is really good.

The high speed corners with no runoff trouble me a bit. Hopefully no internal bleeding and stuff.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

ethanol posted:

Croftys soothing voice will send everyone to sleep

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Rinkles posted:

Was porpoising this big an issue last time ground effect was legal?

For a time, yes. It was largely solved by 1981.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

net work error posted:

Things not looking good for Mercedes. :smith:

that is a good thing OP don't you understand?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The cars by all accounts were pretty brutal to drive though - something like 80% of the suspension travel was through the tires, so they did bounce a lot too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Seb fined, apparently he should have got race control's permission and only used access roads.

", no one is allowed on-track, at pit entry or pit exit except:
- Drivers when driving or on foot, having first received permission to do so from a marshal."

The rules of course disagree but when has that ever mattered.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

Porpoising :dance:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ethanol posted:

It's Australia's revenge for lovely race times we've copped so far this year, and will for the times for the races in the Americas

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

It's Australia's revenge for lovely race times we've copped so far this year, and will for the times for the races in the Americas

This is the first race in the afternoon in Australia/NZ/Japan/east Asia since Suzuka 2019. Everything else has been starting at 9 or 10 pm at night at the earliest. There are never a majority of daytime races for this part of the world, but two-plus full seasons is a bit long.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

7 AM race? Is this what being american is like?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
6 AM for me, gonna be rough

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We need a Scooter Seb gif, watching him tool around back to the paddock on the moped was a real treat.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mokotow posted:

7 AM race? Is this what being american is like?

Yes, along with some black coffee and an additional dose of freedom. :smug:

Custard Undies posted:

Mercedes didn't bring any upgrades for their car this weekend, so they are going to struggle.

:(

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dictator. posted:

that is a good thing OP don't you understand?

It's bad actually

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

net work error posted:

It's badass actually
Oh for sure !!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Despite the time after last few races it's nice to see a race in the day, with full stands and GA areas (in FP!), that everyone in the sport seems to love being at. I might be biased but Melbourne always scrubs up well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

Oh for sure !!

This is libel and I WILL take this to the thread stewards!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pirate Radar posted:

We all know where that leads and it’s a bed full of croissant flakes

And spilled orange juice

Divebombing in T1!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

net work error posted:

Caught the last few minutes of fp2 because I had to feed my cats. Things not looking good for Mercedes. :smith:

Clearly sandbagging. You'll see in Q3, which both Mercs will obviously qualify for.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

acidx posted:

Clearly sandbagging. You'll see in Q3, which both Mercs will obviously qualify for.

:hmmyes:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao Mazepin is blaming cancel culture for him losing his seat, and not that he’s a poo poo driver who only had a seat because his daddy bought it.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Please cancel latifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dudley posted:

The rules of course disagree
How so? I’ve been around race tracks enough to know race control doesn’t want any vehicle on track that they didn’t give specific permission to during a session. I’ve had tracks refuse me riding a moped around them even when sessions were closed and track was empty. It makes obvious sense to have tight control on what vehicles are cruising around.