Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The talk about the prologue led to me going back to read the Oshi no Ko prologue chapters, and man the end of the prologue still really gets to me :qq:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

just binged this whole thing this manga loving kicks rear end

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NowonSA posted:

The talk about the prologue led to me going back to read the Oshi no Ko prologue chapters, and man the end of the prologue still really gets to me :qq:.
Funny you should mention that! :yayclod:

Chapter 77 theme:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

omg what a loving cliffhanger what's gonna happen aaaaaa

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If the doctor didn't die, how old would he be now?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hey Aqua wanna see your dead body

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

early to mid forties I guess? Ruby was talking about a 10 year age gap and she would be around ~30 now

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mraagvpeine posted:

At the very least 40. The absolute lower bound for his age before reincarnating is 25, and that would make him into a jRPG protagonist age-wise.
I'd hazard 45 to 50 years old depending if Aqua was in his early or mid 30s in his last life. Did we have an actual number for that quoted in an earlier chapter?

A lot. Let's go with a lot.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Honestly was not prepared to see an accurate depiction of a skeleton. Aqua died with idol merch on him what a G. Wait how did his corpse get here did the killer move the body to this location?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I need the next chapter

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Omobono posted:

At the very least 40. The absolute lower bound for his age before reincarnating is 25, and that would make him into a jRPG protagonist age-wise.
I'd hazard 45 to 50 years old depending if Aqua was in his early or mid 30s in his last life. Did we have an actual number for that quoted in an earlier chapter?

A lot. Let's go with a lot.

When he went shopping with Kane or w.e., after she said the style of date was something rich businessmen in their 30s did, there was an arrow pointing at Aqua that said 'used to be a doctor in his 30s'.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

That's not funny at all!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I wonder how much Akane is gonna deduce from all this. ID of the corpse vs when it went missing, but how could Ruby have a crush on someone who died before she was born?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

When he went shopping with Kane or w.e., after she said the style of date was something rich businessmen in their 30s did, there was an arrow pointing at Aqua that said 'used to be a doctor in his 30s'.

Assigning ages is just a mess. Is Ruby 16, 28, or slighty older since Serena died a few years before Ruby was born?

I tend to sort them with their oldest life experiences, so Aqua is mid 30s, Ruby 16. They seem to act and respond appropriately to those ages, for the most part.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ruby didn't deserve any of this. :smith:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

derra posted:

I wonder how much Akane is gonna deduce from all this. ID of the corpse vs when it went missing, but how could Ruby have a crush on someone who died before she was born?

I suspect she'll connect this to what she's already deduced about aqua's past. she is definitely going to suspect something strange is going on with these kids if ruby doesn't play her reaction off as being just because she saw a dead body. hell maybe even if she does do that I think Akane might still start trying to dig

derra posted:

I tend to sort them with their oldest life experiences, so Aqua is mid 30s, Ruby 16. They seem to act and respond appropriately to those ages, for the most part.

yeah that's how this seems to be written

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ruby is older now than she was when she died, so she's pretty much gotten like "in sync" age wise.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

copy posted:

I suspect she'll connect this to what she's already deduced about aqua's past. she is definitely going to suspect something strange is going on with these kids if ruby doesn't play her reaction off as being just because she saw a dead body. hell maybe even if she does do that I think Akane might still start trying to dig

Back in chapter 75 Aqua took her out looking for a pet's body and asked how long it would last and she could see a connection between that and this.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
She reacted when Ruby commented that her crush was MIA, and there's no way Aqua is going to be able to react "appropriately". He knows the body, HIS body, is out there, and he also knows what this means to Ruby.

Whatever he does, it's not going to pass Akane's notice.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

copy posted:

Ruby doesn't have the guile to do that. Anyway, it's too late. She has already referred to her crush multiple times as "Sensei" and her reaction to seeing the corpse is "This can't be happening... Sensei couldn't have... [died]".

Is that name on the nametag visible? The idol merch (keychain?) is enough for both Aqua and Ruby to identify the corpse, but it seemed to be obscuring the name. Although, since Ruby told her that "Sensei" went missing from work, and she can tell he is a doctor, Akane could simply ask at the hospital about any doctors who went missing and get Goro's name.

That is certainly an odd place for a corpse. It's basically enshrined. If an animal had dragged it there, wouldn't the bones be more scattered? So a person put it there? Why wouldn't they bury it? Why wasn't it found? Wouldn't it smell really bad? I wondered if the shrine had anything to do with Aqua's reincarnation, but Ruby was probably not similarly enshrined. I can see why the metal glasses, and the plastic merch would last, but would the lab coat last 16 or so years exposed to the elements?

Akane has more than enough information to connect this corpse to Aqua at this point, given her rather terrifying intuition. She already associated the lab coat with him being a doctor, and knows Aqua went to the Hospital "to see an acquaintance". (Interestingly, she didn't go in with him, and so didn't hear him say the name "Goro"). She also heard him talking about "searching for the bones of an old pet". The corpse was even wearing Ai merchandise. She has enough information to deduce that Aqua "was friends" with someone and Ruby had a crush on someone who died before either of them were born, and the two of them are a little bit too familiar with a place that they shouldn't be that familiar with, but I don't think that is enough for even her to conclude that they reincarnated.

Does being starry-eyed represent "ambition"? Aqua lost his after he gave up on his revenge plot and Ruby's star is shrinking now that she knows the person she was looking for is dead.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 8, 2022

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Pretty sure the murderer just hid the corpse someplace convenient. Its proximity to the shrine may not have had any significance to the killer except as someplace nobody would go looking.

Now the shrine itself may have something to do with all this reincarnation going on, but I dunno if that was the killer's intention.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Mirage posted:

Pretty sure the murderer just hid the corpse someplace convenient. Its proximity to the shrine may not have had any significance to the killer except as someplace nobody would go looking.

Now the shrine itself may have something to do with all this reincarnation going on, but I dunno if that was the killer's intention.

"Right next to a shrine" isn't really a convenient place to hide a corpse. Wouldn't it smell? People visit shrines and maintain them. Wouldn't it have been found by now? It would be a slightly different story if he made the shrine himself and no one knew about it, but why would he do that?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The key point is that that shrine isn't maintained from what we can see. It's also in the middle of the forest, and the girls only found it because crows led them there. A corpse isn't going to be something you can smell from miles away if you are a human, and out in the open like that like it's probably a few months for all the meat to be gone. After which it's not going to smell at all. So even if someone checked on it once every a year, what the hell would they notice?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Aqua told Akane about Goro when he visited his old house, right?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

God this manga rules so hard.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

derra posted:

Aqua told Akane about Goro when he visited his old house, right?

He didn't say the name, and I'm not sure he ever came up with any reason for why he knew all about this random doctors life.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
???

https://imgur.com/a/bspUbBi

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

derra posted:

he also knows what this means to Ruby.

He does not know that Ruby was Serena, though?

He made one off-hand comment to himself, as an infant, that she reminded him of Serena. Later he noticed by how Ruby acted that Ruby's previous self likely died young, but I don't believe there's anything to suggest that he thinks Ruby and Serena are the same person. I can see him putting two and two together soon, though, if this incident blows up.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Sleeping Sigma posted:

He does not know that Ruby was Serena, though?

He made one off-hand comment to himself, as an infant, that she reminded him of Serena. Later he noticed by how Ruby acted that Ruby's previous self likely died young, but I don't believe there's anything to suggest that he thinks Ruby and Serena are the same person. I can see him putting two and two together soon, though, if this incident blows up.

He does seem to know who she is, actually. https://manga.guya.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/3/6/

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

He does seem to know who she is, actually. https://manga.guya.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/3/6/

No, the "identity" he's talking about there is just her status as a reincarnated person.

Ruby getting breastfed -> I know her identity -> flashback to Ruby trolling twitter -> end flashback -> Ruby finishes breastfeeding -> God Baby Reveal -> Ruby reminds Aqua of Serena

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

look man i have a memory like a goldfish

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mirage posted:

We're talking about an entity that stuck its fingers into the wheel of reincarnation; I don't think moving a body is out of the question. Maybe the creepy girl that was stalking Aqua did it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Haystack posted:

We're talking about an entity that stuck its fingers into the wheel of reincarnation; I don't think moving a body is out of the question. Maybe the creepy girl that was stalking Aqua did it.

She's definitely in command of the crows/ravens right? So she led Ruby here specifically?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Shugojin posted:

She's definitely in command of the crows/ravens right? So she led Ruby here specifically?

My money is on some sort of local deity of being behind everything supernatural in this story. Presumably, it's the deity the shrine is dedicated to. The girl might be the god, be possessed by the god, or working for the god. Same deal with the crows.

e: And yeah, they have definitely led Ruby here deliberately.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 11, 2022

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

I need the next chapter

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Has anyone considered that the crow might be working for Itachi, and all this is really a genjutsu?

Obito is the father

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

https://guya.cubari.moe/read/manga/Oshi-no-Ko/78/2/

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
So, I'm curious what Akane thinks about this. Does she now think Gorou was the father?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Hmmm.
Hmmmmmmm.
This is...
Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

She's dead.

She's a dead woman walking.
The universe shall not allow Aqua any amount of happiness.

In non spoiler comments :sickos: