Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I kind of like the theory that Goops is the sleeping girls imaginary friend just trying to wake her up even more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

imo this is definitely anemone with one of them there emergent powers. Or perhaps just an "i can do this in emergencies" power.

If she's really the one responsible for the nightly barrier, I was kind of thinking that as part of the reason she wouldn't be dying, just because I don't think the setting could handle not having the barrier for the entire rest of the story unless we immediately thrust ourselves into end game meanwhile the main cast have barely had time to group up, go through information, figure out anything related to cassidy, themselves, get to actually enjoy being in a relationship, etc
I said earlier I could see it a case of the monsters slowly dissipating when the barrier goes down, but the barrier going down resulting in the monsters not able to do anything would be ...weird, thinking about it, so there'd obviously be some extra caveats.

I mean you could have all stuff that still just i dunno i feel "now the monsters can easily get into anywhere in the city" just supercedes a lot of things, narratively.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I react exactly like this when someone wakes me up in the middle of the night

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Isn't the barrier up for only like 4 hours a night? Id be indescribably loving pissed for getting woken up early

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuofaDxa6Oo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
poo poo's either about to get real real, real fast, or Anemone did get wasted and this explosion is just what happens when she bites it.

e: I find it interesting that Anemone is in the page tags despite not really appearing, as it were. Maybe she's somehow been converted to pure energy?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 8, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You ever get woken up so rudely you turn into lightning?

I have.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TwoPair posted:

poo poo's either about to get real real, real fast, or Anemone did get wasted and this explosion is just what happens when she bites it.

e: I find it interesting that Anemone is in the page tags despite not really appearing, as it were. Maybe she's somehow been converted to pure energy?

It seems like a pretty directed lightning bolt, zapping the monster like that. So I think Anemone's just big grumpy.

Have we had other pages where someone's beams/projectiles were on screen but they weren't and they still got tagged? Like if Bud is laser beaming someone in practice but doesn't actually appear on the page?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

It seems like a pretty directed lightning bolt, zapping the monster like that. So I think Anemone's just big grumpy.

Have we had other pages where someone's beams/projectiles were on screen but they weren't and they still got tagged? Like if Bud is laser beaming someone in practice but doesn't actually appear on the page?

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-29

no bud tag here, at least.

e: It's possible that, assuming it wasn't just a tagging mistake and also that the blast of light isnt litearlly anemone, it's to reassure the reader that it's from anemone and not some unseen 3rd player to this ordeal (like girl in white some rando magial girl who was near by)

rannum fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 8, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The tagging isn't massively consistent, I wouldn't set too much stock by what the tags say.

What I will say is, this isn't the first time we've seen a blast like that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

The tagging isn't massively consistent, I wouldn't set too much stock by what the tags say.

What I will say is, this isn't the first time we've seen a blast like that.
Oh man, the sleeping girl isn't even the real girl just the current vessel for the dream and Tessa was supposed to be the next one wasn't she? That's why she's so disproportionately powerful and why Goops wanted to start breaking her down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This link got me caught up in another reread. And Anemone can definitely see the future.

"Though a magical girl can technically break through [the barrier] with her powers. But YOU don't have to worry about that quite yet."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I also did a bit of a reread and I feel like there was at some point a theory that Anemone & Bud ( &Zoe) were Thematic with each other, right?

That's kind of a fun theory with stuff like this https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-16-page-32
Bud's someone who prides herself on knowing everything she can and feels hurt when there's something she doesn't know; she also basically knows everyone in the school on cordial terms and is very social. Anemone explicitly knows (nearly) everything but is effectively alone.

Zoe knows nothing because she's so new, and doesn't know many people but she's building it up :v:

also now all 3 have strong projectile attacks

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Probably nothing, but the choice of emphasis in the first sentence is interesting too: "...though a magical girl can technically break through with her powers". The phrasing is a little clunky (I would have written "with her own powers") but that stress on "her" makes me wonder if it was deliberate, because if that's meant to refer to a specific, unnamed person, it would fit perfectly.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fun detail related to that is I noticed that Kokoro punched so hard here that she partially broke the barrier
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-19-page-15

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
ooooh wee that’s some good poo poo

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-19-page-33

oh hey, she finally gets to talk to someone who knows her name! congrats Anemone!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

*slams the side of the car as i just start hollering and fist pumping*

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The goopy duo don't seem too perturbed by this

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

egg tats posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-19-page-33

oh hey, she finally gets to talk to someone who knows her name! congrats Anemone!

Anemone's hair is visibly changing in style to be more WiW here. Are they the same person or is WiW a passenger to Anemone in the way that Goops is to Tessa?

Dunno but looking forward to finding out.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Anemone's hair is visibly changing in style to be more WiW here. Are they the same person or is WiW a passenger to Anemone in the way that Goops is to Tessa?

Well, sea anemones are dangerous shells protecting vulnerable insides. The metaphor works for the barrier, so I don't see why it wouldn't extend to the girl herself as well.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

or her hair came undone

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Twibbit posted:

or her hair came undone

The side on which her curl came undone isn't even the side most strongly resembling WiW rn tbh.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So Goops’s real name was “Little Brat” wow

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I can't believe we have the same name!

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Anemone is the best and I have been waiting for this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dunno but looking forward to finding out.

I would say it might have something to do with the barrier. If (as it looks like) Anemone is the source of the barrier, then her glow might just be her sucking that power back into herself. And the glow would especially fit now seeing as the barrier was stark white tonight.

Or she's going Super Saiyan. I'd say it's about 50/50 odds

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assumed this was just her MG transformation.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Anemone's clearly been impaled right through the midsection, and it doesn't seem to have slowed her down - just hurt. So I think Anemone is probably a bit weirder than your average magical girl, who seem to have basically human vulnerabilities, but with magical powers. They have to defend themselves with their weapons and abilities rather than just shrugging off attacks, generally speaking; Cassie had a weirder power than usual but her magical body was more fragile rather than less.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Joe Slowboat posted:

Anemone's clearly been impaled right through the midsection, and it doesn't seem to have slowed her down - just hurt. So I think Anemone is probably a bit weirder than your average magical girl, who seem to have basically human vulnerabilities, but with magical powers.

If anime has taught me anything it's that if you're powerful and/or pissed off enough, you can shrug off literally any wound short of decapitation, and Anemone is both right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TwoPair posted:

If anime has taught me anything it's that if you're powerful and/or pissed off enough, you can shrug off literally any wound short of decapitation, and Anemone is both right now.
Does this mean Cassidy was too weak, or did she trade away the 'too angry to die' for a few seconds of 'angry enough to fight god'?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think this comic is generally too Madoka to totally ignore lethal wounds without that being a special power of the character in question.

Remember Undine survived her team getting killed by barely holding her own blood in with her water magic, magical girls don't get enhanced survivability. It fits that Anemone is something else in particular, and important, ways.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a very real possibility that Anemone doesn't have a conventional body and what we see is some sort of magic construct. She has presumably been doing this for a long time.

Mary also confirmed on the Discord that the barrier thing is a state she consciously enters, she doesn't just hope to fall asleep at 10pm on the dot. So she might not actually ever sleep in a conventional way.

Anyway, New page!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For a moment I forgot that the chapter ended and thought that this was a smash cut and Venom Tessa lost that badly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t believe Goop-Tessa got murdered off panel and this whole plot line has been abruptly concluded

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There's always a bigger fish.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Did she just call a magical rendition of Piet Mondrian's art tacky?! Fisty cuffs at dawn!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was kinda hoping that the interstitial would be Anemone turning to camera and going "NOT NOW" as a joke about other interstitials being her doing 4th wall breaks.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Goops-Tessa looking on with degrees of confusion, unease, and distress as Anemone exposits and muses upon some aspect of the setting to nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Emrikol posted:

Goops-Tessa looking on with degrees of confusion, unease, and distress as Anemone exposits and muses upon some aspect of the setting to nobody.

"There's no one there!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-BdH0-S6Ds&t=66s