Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

GilliamYaeger posted:

gebura stronk

I'm halfway tempted to try the fight without using her floor to see what it's supposed to be like, probably with Genesis Netzach waiting in the wings as an emergency panic button, but I guess I have to deal with the Keter Realization, the Distorted Ensemble, and the post-final-boss "Did you really think you could beat agents of the Head in only the second game set in the City??" fight before I do that if I don't want to have to deal with the entirety of this sequence all over again.

yet another emptyquote about the weird pacing for the final stretch of this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Verant posted:

I'm halfway tempted to try the fight without using her floor to see what it's supposed to be like, probably with Genesis Netzach waiting in the wings as an emergency panic button, but I guess I have to deal with the Keter Realization, the Distorted Ensemble, and the post-final-boss "Did you really think you could beat agents of the Head in only the second game set in the City??" fight before I do that if I don't want to have to deal with the entirety of this sequence all over again.

yet another emptyquote about the weird pacing for the final stretch of this game
Make sure to use Mountain of Corpses on that middle fight too, it's so satisfying seeing Gebura just brutally manhandle the entirety of the Ensemble on her own. Just make sure to prioritize taking out Elena in the final wave asap rather than loving around with Argalia or Pluto, since her power nullification is anathema to the power-stacking Gebura.

And yeah, I still feel like there should have been one last tier between Black Silence and the rest of the finale that's made up entirely of remixed fights with everyone boosted up to Impuritas tier to give you a bit of breathing room, justified as sorting through the Library one last time before the end. Just cool dream matches that could have never happened in reality. Like getting to fight Yujin at full strength. Xiao and Cecil tagteam where they fight you with the power of love. All five of the Colors (Iori, Kali, Argalia, Angelica and Roland) at once. Love Town featuring Elena and Jae-heon. Fighting a team made up of representatives from each of the Fixer Associations that appeared in the game. Just something like that where you both get to have a break from the relentless pacing of the endgame while getting to play around with all the shiny new toys you got from the whole Ensemble kerfuffle.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
The thing about floor analyses is that they tend to tell you more about the player and how they approach the game than they do how good a specific floor is.

There are some universal truths, like the upper layer coming fully online too late to be really effective or Yesod being the Unga King for the vast majority of the game, but there's a lot of it that's strictly to taste.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeeQueue posted:

The thing about floor analyses is that they tend to tell you more about the player and how they approach the game than they do how good a specific floor is.

There are some universal truths, like the upper layer coming fully online too late to be really effective or Yesod being the Unga King for the vast majority of the game, but there's a lot of it that's strictly to taste.
Yeah, that's very, very true. One thing I've noticed from watching friends stream their playthroughs of the game is that there's a lot of variation in playstyle from person to person. Each person handles fights differently, even just in the way they handle things like clashes - and deckbuilding is completely different from person to person...right up until Singleton, of course. Then it's always the same. Personally, I've never been very good with using delayed reward cards like Observe or Focus Spirit that give you Strength on the turn after they're used, and I've never really grokked the Thumb playstyle either even though many of my friends swear by them. I've never really liked using Boundary of Death either, even though I know that some people are addicted to the thrill of using it. I should probably add in something about how those reviews are purely my subjective opinion, then, because I'm sure that some people will manage to see things in certain floors that I don't, or find Floors that I find easy to use difficult.

With all that said, however, Netzach is an objectively bad floor with no redeeming qualities and I will die on this hill. :colbert:

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Netzach was I think my most used floor for most of the game because he just doesn't die. So if I just wanted to run generic good decks with no plan in mind, I just shook my boy awake and sent him to work

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Ruina is a game about dying slightly more slowly than your opponents, and Netzach is the undisputed king of that playstyle.

He's not flashy. He doesn't give +gently caress you to power. He just kind of stays standing til the enemy dies.

He's the mill deck of Ruina.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
hod's floor is aces in the endgame for cocoon memes, with twelve fixers on a sweeper key page you apply like 27 stacks of fragile the turn you hit tier 2 abnormalities. any boss without a forced hp gate will instantly vaporize with that much fragile on them, with no abnormality card exodia or emotion level 5 sandbagging required. like gebura's floor is "good" but hod will have just ended the fight before gebura is done even revving up the red mist cost reduction engine.

admittedly this doesn't work until impuritas so there's nothing to actually use cocoon on, but it's still really funny.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

hod's floor is aces in the endgame for cocoon memes, with twelve fixers on a sweeper key page you apply like 27 stacks of fragile the turn you hit tier 2 abnormalities. any boss without a forced hp gate will instantly vaporize with that much fragile on them, with no abnormality card exodia or emotion level 5 sandbagging required. like gebura's floor is "good" but hod will have just ended the fight before gebura is done even revving up the red mist cost reduction engine.

admittedly this doesn't work until impuritas so there's nothing to actually use cocoon on, but it's still really funny.

>sweeper keypage

>endgame

You're a madman and I love the way you think.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Reiterpallasch posted:

Couldn't you do something similar with Boris and Discipline? Sure there's two less hits but it's still a lot of punches. Edit: oh wait I just double checked what cocoon does, yeah that's a galaxy brain strat right there.

And I still don't get Netzach. Is Laughing Powder really that good outside the early game? As soon as I got Mind Hauler I stopped having stagger problems entirely.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 7, 2022

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
cocoon requires maxroll, and i don't think there's any way to guarantee a maxroll on discipline's 3-7 dice without extremely impractical self-paralyze/debuff stuff. also at 2 cost trash disposal is cheap enough that you can clone up a few early in the fight and use like three of them on the cocoon turn.

the sensible way to abuse cocoon is probably a slash deck, since snake slit is guaranteed to apply cocoon twice and serpent sword technique once, but cocoon + twelve fixers doesn't really lend itself well to sensible play given that twelve fixers stops working (for this) at emotion level 3.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

think chesed is my floor of choice for Thumb/Torn Off Wisdom degeneracy.
T.O.W. discarding cards already sets Chesed up to be the discard king, but the extra light per discard really lets em shine.
try to build up a good ammunition supply, and let rip a barrage of burn/paralysis/disarm that, if it doesn't kill em this turn, it sets em up to go down the next.
so long as you manage your card draw to avoid a hand with nothing but ammo on your T.O.W. user, and you're golden.

plus if you're feeling cheeky: could also try slotting in one or two (no more) [Take The Shots] or [Indescriminate Shots] for that third attack die to get even more out of your ammunition.
its only a one time use, but rabbits [Sufficient Ammo] passive takes care of that if its a problem.
Just... keep in mind it works on your ammunition too, so ending up in a situation where you cant draw your actual deck becomes a much larger problem if you aren't careful.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Reiterpallasch posted:

cocoon requires maxroll, and i don't think there's any way to guarantee a maxroll on discipline's 3-7 dice without extremely impractical self-paralyze/debuff stuff. also at 2 cost trash disposal is cheap enough that you can clone up a few early in the fight and use like three of them on the cocoon turn.

the sensible way to abuse cocoon is probably a slash deck, since snake slit is guaranteed to apply cocoon twice and serpent sword technique once, but cocoon + twelve fixers doesn't really lend itself well to sensible play given that twelve fixers stops working (for this) at emotion level 3.
Hrm...would Opportunity Spotted work? Those three 1-2 dice would still work after Emotion 3, wouldn't they?

To be honest I never really thought it'd work like this, since both Emotion Coins and Boundary don't work if the roll only has one possible outcome, so I completely overlooked Coccoon.

Arcanuse posted:

think chesed is my floor of choice for Thumb/Torn Off Wisdom degeneracy.
T.O.W. discarding cards already sets Chesed up to be the discard king, but the extra light per discard really lets em shine.
try to build up a good ammunition supply, and let rip a barrage of burn/paralysis/disarm that, if it doesn't kill em this turn, it sets em up to go down the next.
so long as you manage your card draw to avoid a hand with nothing but ammo on your T.O.W. user, and you're golden.

plus if you're feeling cheeky: could also try slotting in one or two (no more) [Take The Shots] or [Indescriminate Shots] for that third attack die to get even more out of your ammunition.
its only a one time use, but rabbits [Sufficient Ammo] passive takes care of that if its a problem.
Just... keep in mind it works on your ammunition too, so ending up in a situation where you cant draw your actual deck becomes a much larger problem if you aren't careful.

Yeah Chesed is just fantastic. He's got a wide variety of useful utility stuff that no other floor gets and a bunch of +power stuff on top of it. I've always thought it tragic that he's always overshadowed by Gebura.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, opportunity spotted works, and applying 4.5 stacks of bind/paralyze/fragile per card is still pretty good, at least against anything without power null. i should also point out that you have to add at least one copy of c-chop it off to the deck also if you're going that route, just so you can have a Canard card be the optimum play in Impuritas at least once in your life.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The most optimal floor to use is the one that has your favorite aesthetic + music, actually.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

My main goal when playing the game was "don't do the same floor twice", so Yesod won by default. Sorry, everyone else except I think one Hokma page, Request exists so you can all just go home.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ruina has plenty of moments that are heartbreaking-Xiao's moment with Miris before her EGO reception, Yan's ultimate realization of the pointlessness of his efforts when he meets Moirai, the moment Jae-Heon whips out the puppet Angelica, everything involving Phillip, but the one moment that always gets me is the cutscene before Literature Realization, and Angela's slow realization that being nice and helpful towards everyone isn't what A wants/needs, and that she has to be cruel and heartless in order to get them to reach Core Suppression.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess I should post these rather less serious floor reviews (Asiyah/Briah/Atziluth) which still somehow capture the endgame flavor of each floor pretty well.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Reiterpallasch posted:

I guess I should post these rather less serious floor reviews (Asiyah/Briah/Atziluth) which still somehow capture the endgame flavor of each floor pretty well.

Never really got that Chesed one - always figured his floor was more of a sincere "My friends are my power!" as opposed to Tiphereth's and Gebura's "My friends are my F U E L". Does Yan's key page just synergize well with the floor's abnormalities?

Loxo321
Sep 28, 2021

Verant posted:

Never really got that Chesed one - always figured his floor was more of a sincere "My friends are my power!" as opposed to Tiphereth's and Gebura's "My friends are my F U E L". Does Yan's key page just synergize well with the floor's abnormalities?

Chesed is definitely the "My friends are my power!" floor.

... That doesn't stop people from pulling silly things with the Magic Trick Abno card like cloning Distorted Blade and then using it twice in a row (There was a YT video a while back with somebody doing the Puppets reception and doing exactly that, I think one of the comments on that video has a link to that.)

On the subject of optimal floors, I've interestingly enough never really got the Yesod hype. Like, I know that you can do some huge unga memes on Yesod's floor, but tbh for a good 80% of the game, I'm pretty sure I was using either Hod's floor with a weird block-bleed hybrid floor or Netzach's floor going all in with pierce dice with a side of Thumb ammunition cards.

My favorite floor though is definitely Binah's though. Not for Birdxodia, but for Weight of Sin + Elena memes to have a nugget that can fairly consistently stack at least 3 if not 4 Strength + Endurance with the combat pages and passives I used.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Verant posted:

Yeah, you can buff your power with Courage, Warm Heart, Power of the Past, etc while cloning Distorted Blade then once you hit III you use Magic Trick to reduce the cost to 0 and use it three times in a row, obliterating the enemy. And since Magic Trick refreshes at the start of each fight you can do this to every remaining wave.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Looking at Chesed's cards and not documented (at least on the wiki I'm using) are the 5 "False Present" pages. What do they do?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

Looking at Chesed's cards and not documented (at least on the wiki I'm using) are the 5 "False Present" pages. What do they do?
Found it on TVTropes of all things:

quote:

Power at a Price: Her sole breakdown page, False Present, gives you access to five gifts themed after their respective character, but have a penalty as a tradeoff for their benefits. They're added to the EGO page deck, and all can be given to one character, be distributed evenly or just not used at all if you so wish.
Silk Sack of Sawdust will heal 8 stagger on a successful clash, but inflicts 4 stagger for losing a clash.
Heart of Lead drains 5 HP every turn for an additional light regenerated per scene.
Liquid Courage grants 6 extra damage to all attacks, but also has the wearer receive an extra 3 damage from all sources.
Home that Cannot be Reached gives the wearer +2 Power to their die, but only if they lose a clash and take an additional 4 Stagger damage as a penalty.
Transformation gives the wearer a 50% chance to destroy the opponents next die upon landing a hit, but also has a 50% chance to wipe out your own die upon you taking damage.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Reiterpallasch posted:

Love the Keter one which is both Black Silence and "this floor has no endgame use". Poor Keter.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Most YouTubers I've seen usually defaults to Roland when tackling modded Receptions. I guess the ability to play as Super Roland outweighs the lame Abnormality Card selection (Which tier III should I pick? Snow Queen's cards are all sucks and Leer is double edged sword).

Although Lies and Curiosity Mirinae can be pretty effective at stacking +Power and buffing her teammates.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Most YouTubers I've seen usually defaults to Roland when tackling modded Receptions. I guess the ability to play as Super Roland outweighs the lame Abnormality Card selection (Which tier III should I pick? Snow Queen's cards are all sucks and Leer is double edged sword).

Although Lies and Curiosity Mirinae can be pretty effective at stacking +Power and buffing her teammates.
Blizzard, I guess. Two turns of absolute advantage is better than nothing.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

GilliamYaeger posted:

Couldn't you do something similar with Boris and Discipline? Sure there's two less hits but it's still a lot of punches. Edit: oh wait I just double checked what cocoon does, yeah that's a galaxy brain strat right there.

And I still don't get Netzach. Is Laughing Powder really that good outside the early game? As soon as I got Mind Hauler I stopped having stagger problems entirely.

It's not god-tier or anything, but realistically when you cut away the chaff it's an Abno card with the effect of "every librarian takes less Stagger damage for the duration of the reception" with no catch.

Mind Hauler is probably more reliable overall, of course, but a higher chance to keep your characters standing after a beatdown is going to be good no matter how mediocre Netzach's pages may be in aggregate.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
netzach is also a good soloist floor, because spring's genesis is an absolute win condition at EL5. laughing powder really shows off its stuff in that setup, since you'll be taking a lot of hits before EL5 and udjat protection + laughing powder lets you tank through all of them. it's not flashy or (importantly) fun compared to gebura/malkuth because you don't get to slam gigantic counter dice into everything, but i'd argue that it's way more reliable.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It is kind of sad that Burn doesn't get something like Obsession. At most you've got Ashes and Spores plus the Fourth Match Flame EGO on Malkuth.

Then again, Xiao.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

It is kind of sad that Burn doesn't get something like Obsession. At most you've got Ashes and Spores plus the Fourth Match Flame EGO on Malkuth.

Then again, Xiao.
Xiao's basically Burn's Obsession, yes. That Burn will build up real fukkin fast once you stagger someone. Give her a Clone+Fervid Emotions+Happy Memories setup (so she can spam powerful cards AND have enough Light to spam those mass attacks she got) and the enemy will just burn to death as soon as she manages to stagger someone.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

Xiao's basically Burn's Obsession, yes. That Burn will build up real fukkin fast once you stagger someone. Give her a Clone+Fervid Emotions+Happy Memories setup (so she can spam powerful cards AND have enough Light to spam those mass attacks she got) and the enemy will just burn to death as soon as she manages to stagger someone.

But usually if you stagger someone they just melt anyway. I would think the point of status effects would be killing enemies without needing to stagger them first.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Qrr posted:

But usually if you stagger someone they just melt anyway. I would think the point of status effects would be killing enemies without needing to stagger them first.
Xiao has an extremely powerful passive that spreads half the burn on a staggered target to the entire enemy party. So you focus down and stagger one or two dudes, and suddenly everything is on fire. She also has a passive that causes enemies she hits to take stagger damage from burn in addition to HP damage, so it ends up feeding into itself and spreading absurd amounts of burn. She's got the same passive in the boss fight against her and it's not uncommon to end up with triple digit stacks of burn after particularly bad turns, especially with all the mass attacks she has.

Edit: also she gives everyone on the enemy team 2 stacks of burn by merely existing, which is fun.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 9, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tier 3 SOTC is just nuts in general. Yan's nuts, Iori's nuts, Xiao's nuts, the second R-Corp is nuts, they're all nuts and I love it.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

Tier 3 SOTC is just nuts in general. Yan's nuts, Iori's nuts, Xiao's nuts, the second R-Corp is nuts, they're all nuts and I love it.
In terms of nuts level, R-Corp 2's way behind the other two. You're really only there for Clone and the super attacks for each of the keypages, and while they're all good (especially the Yujin and Happy Memories shenanigans that Clone enables) you can't really put any of that on the same level as the other three. Iori's a very strong contender for best keypage in the game, Yan is an amazing support and we just talked about the burn shenanigans Xiao can do.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fair enough on that front.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

R-Corp 2 basically fills out 3-4 ideal B-team decks to perfection, so its more of a quantity over quality thing. I was never too fond of Rudolphs kit, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
clone enables all the funniest decks and gimmicks in the game though, and you may as well consider myo the other half of the red mist's keypage.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

In terms of nuts level, R-Corp 2's way behind the other two. You're really only there for Clone and the super attacks for each of the keypages, and while they're all good (especially the Yujin and Happy Memories shenanigans that Clone enables) you can't really put any of that on the same level as the other three. Iori's a very strong contender for best keypage in the game, Yan is an amazing support and we just talked about the burn shenanigans Xiao can do.

My clone-gashes character was my strongest one but admittedly that was with Yan and Nikolai helping out. Of course, Nikolai is also R-corp 2. And I didn't figure out some of the really crazy stuff you can pull off. Iori is indeed crazy strong, though. There's a lot of good stuff.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'll point out that Myo and Nikolai are both R-Corp 1, not 2. As I said, it's only Clone and the super attacks that are new in 2, everything else you can get from 2 is already found in in 1. As a result, you can get away with leaving R-Corp 2 for later if you're not desperate for a Clone deck. Typically when handling SotC, I go Thumb (because thumb soldato enables some amazing Full Stop cheese) > Red Mist > R-Corp 1 then just handle everything else at my own pace.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GilliamYaeger posted:

Honestly the super attacks aren't even that worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

Typically when handling SotC, I go Thumb (because thumb soldato enables some amazing Full Stop cheese) > Red Mist > R-Corp 1 then just handle everything else at my own pace.

Where’s Cane and Church of Blue in this?