Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Any castle builders worth playing since the 2D stronghold games? I played the Going Medieval demo back when that was a thing, and it was alright but not amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Unreal_One posted:

Any castle builders worth playing since the 2D stronghold games? I played the Going Medieval demo back when that was a thing, and it was alright but not amazing.

Kingdoms and Castles is good and cheap as well.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

External Organs posted:

I'm curious to know about any games with a specific setting: a weird far future with cool technology but you play as a guy with a sword. Essentially I'm thinking Samurai Jack (which, btw, is the 2021 game any good?) but just curious if any other games of any genre are set in that kind of thing.

I know about Horizon of course.

The fallout games and in particular New Vegas allow you to punch things and use machetes and swords

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

External Organs posted:

I'm curious to know about any games with a specific setting: a weird far future with cool technology but you play as a guy with a sword. Essentially I'm thinking Samurai Jack (which, btw, is the 2021 game any good?) but just curious if any other games of any genre are set in that kind of thing.

do you want a narrative game or just future + sword?

if the former Caves of Qud not only has future swords it has the CEREMONIAL VIBROKHOPESH as the peak of sword technology

if the latter throw Overwatch (Genji) and Risk of Rain 1/2 (Mercenary) on the list

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

do you want a narrative game or just future + sword?

if the former Caves of Qud not only has future swords it has the CEREMONIAL VIBROKHOPESH as the peak of sword technology

if the latter throw Overwatch (Genji) and Risk of Rain 1/2 (Mercenary) on the list

I'm just in it for the vibes, man! Genre doesn't matter much...probably not gonna play Overwatch though.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've added a bunch of stuff to my wishlist!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

External Organs posted:

EYE: Divine Cybermancy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh Ghostrunner is the other pretty good one I've been trying to remember for hours, it's pretty one-note but it's a good time and has excellent "bisecting futuristic gunmen with your katana" vibes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

External Organs posted:

...probably not gonna play Overwatch though.

yeah i wouldn't either, it was just too obvious to omit :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

External Organs posted:

Metal Gear Rising, Nier, Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, Crosscode, Hyper Light Drifter, Transistor.

Also depending on your definition of sword, there's also a lot of Star Wars games where you mainly have to use a lightsaber, some of which don't even give you a fallback gun option so you have just use a saber against groups of guys with guns. I feel like some melee-focused but not strictly sword games might also have the vibe you're looking for like Transformers Devastation.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Overwatch killed all competitive gaming for me, and Blizzard's handling of toxicity in that game burned out a small piece of my soul I'll never get back. Don't play Overwatch, don't play any Blizzard game online. Not even because the company they're a part of killed a woman, but because it'll tear you apart if you're even a little bit sensitive to negativity. The only competitive games I play now are fighting games, because it's ruined the idea of being on a team of people who'll yell at you for existing. Hell, it's hell.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Got another one of my tricky requests, let's see what ya'll goons can come up with.

Absolute baseline, I am thoroughly, just utterly exhausted with Modern Gaming Junk at the moment. That is to say, I am very, very tired of RPG elements, progression mechanics, unlock systems, collectibles, achievements, etc. Because I get extremely wrapped up in that stuff so basically when 100% completion isn't a totally insane chore (ie, that old Ghost Recon game where one of the achievements is to be ranked #1 in the multiplayer, I'm not dumb enough to chase stuff like that just for its own sake) I get hyper invested in it and now I'm burnt out on all of it after playing too many roguelikes/roguelites in quick succession. ...The problem is that even a lot of low-key indie games have things of that nature. :sweatdrop: Hell, even that new Kirby game has those side challenges that would likely drive me up the wall.

Additional wants:

- PC, ideally nothing super brand spanking new that's gonna tax my machine or is gonna cost $60 up front. I own...entirely too many games already so if you suggest something a little older there's genuinely a 90% chance I already have it. Not that I mind spending :10bux: on some cute indie thing if it comes down to it.

- Doesn't have to be super easy casual in terms of overall difficulty, but should be accessible and easy to get into. Casual-friendly vs. just casual, I guess. Like, ignoring that it has those dreaded unlocks and achievements to worry about, Into the Breach isn't an easy game, but it's quick to get into a run compared to something like XCOM.

- I want something in the middle between mindless and mentally taxing. No simulator games (too repetitive, often mindless and often have some kind of progression system to chip away at) and I'd prefer something that's not a point and click adventure game (I own an endless number of them already and don't really need recommendations).

- In general I'm not big on "make your own fun" games. Sandbox stuff, or even stuff like SimCity is a hard sell even if those can otherwise be relaxing.

- I like exploration but...most exploratory games by their nature involve one or more of the things I'm explicitly trying to avoid.

- Narrative isn't a requirement, but is appreciated.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

John Murdoch posted:

Got another one of my tricky requests, let's see what ya'll goons can come up with.

Thomas was alone is a narrative platform puzzler with like 2 dozen optional collectibles in the entire game.

I think Gunpoint doesn't have any of the junk you're avoiding, but it does have branching paths.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I can think of a lot of games without progression systems, but thinking of games without any collectibles or optional challenges is tougher. Maybe something like Spectacular Sparky? Or Copy Kitty? Copy Kitty does have optional challenges to finish levels without losing more than x health or in less than y time, would that be too much? If you're okay with some extremely ignorable collectibles scattered around the levels, Freedom Planet could work. Thumper? It's easy to get into, even if it does get hard, but it does require all of your focus.

Just throwing this out there, maybe Rez Infinite? If you haven't already played it, I'd consider it pretty much the ideal version of what you describe.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Unreal_One posted:

Thomas was alone is a narrative platform puzzler with like 2 dozen optional collectibles in the entire game.

I think Gunpoint doesn't have any of the junk you're avoiding, but it does have branching paths.

These are quality picks, both of which I own and subsequent totally forgot existed.

Trick Question posted:

I can think of a lot of games without progression systems, but thinking of games without any collectibles or optional challenges is tougher. Maybe something like Spectacular Sparky? Or Copy Kitty? Copy Kitty does have optional challenges to finish levels without losing more than x health or in less than y time, would that be too much? If you're okay with some extremely ignorable collectibles scattered around the levels, Freedom Planet could work. Thumper? It's easy to get into, even if it does get hard, but it does require all of your focus.

Just throwing this out there, maybe Rez Infinite? If you haven't already played it, I'd consider it pretty much the ideal version of what you describe.

Yeah, it's a challenge in and of itself to find games that don't slather that stuff all over the place. :v: There's some wiggle room, but it's hugely subjective and somewhat irrational. FWIW, I'd say for me there's at least a distinction, however slightly fuzzy, between optional bonus modes and additional modes that are "expected" for completion's sake. So like, all those games that just have a tacked-on "do it fast because now there's a timer" leaderboard type stuff, doesn't faze me in the slightest. But I can very easily picture driving myself insane feeling obligated to 100% Hollow Knight with all of its additional mean boss gauntlet and platforming stuff, even if that's all technically optional. Hopefully that makes some sense.

As for the games, I wasn't aware of Spectacular Sparky and it looks :krad: so onto the wishlist it goes. The rest I'm at least passingly familiar with, and I dunno the platformers are probably all a little too fast paced for what I'm currently after. Thumper very much so. But I do like Rez as a palette cleanser.

Oh, also I didn't think to mention it but anything easily emulated is fair game too, so that opens up a whole slew of retro stuff that's more than likely a bit more "pure". But also I guess I'm not sure I could be truly surprised by most retro recommendations unless they're some really obscure hidden gems. Maybe it's finally time to boot up For Frog the Bell Tolls...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Hyper Light Drifter

For less far futures: Cyberpunk 2077 is katana central, or there's Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

comedy answer: any Star Wars game where you play a jedi.
He said future :colbert:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

Absolute baseline, I am thoroughly, just utterly exhausted with Modern Gaming Junk at the moment. That is to say, I am very, very tired of RPG elements, progression mechanics, unlock systems, collectibles, achievements, etc. Because I get extremely wrapped up in that stuff so basically when 100% completion isn't a totally insane chore (ie, that old Ghost Recon game where one of the achievements is to be ranked #1 in the multiplayer, I'm not dumb enough to chase stuff like that just for its own sake) I get hyper invested in it and now I'm burnt out on all of it after playing too many roguelikes/roguelites in quick succession. ...The problem is that even a lot of low-key indie games have things of that nature. :sweatdrop: Hell, even that new Kirby game has those side challenges that would likely drive me up the wall.

Additional wants:

- PC, ideally nothing super brand spanking new that's gonna tax my machine or is gonna cost $60 up front. I own...entirely too many games already so if you suggest something a little older there's genuinely a 90% chance I already have it. Not that I mind spending :10bux: on some cute indie thing if it comes down to it.

- Doesn't have to be super easy casual in terms of overall difficulty, but should be accessible and easy to get into. Casual-friendly vs. just casual, I guess. Like, ignoring that it has those dreaded unlocks and achievements to worry about, Into the Breach isn't an easy game, but it's quick to get into a run compared to something like XCOM.

- I want something in the middle between mindless and mentally taxing. No simulator games (too repetitive, often mindless and often have some kind of progression system to chip away at) and I'd prefer something that's not a point and click adventure game (I own an endless number of them already and don't really need recommendations).

- In general I'm not big on "make your own fun" games. Sandbox stuff, or even stuff like SimCity is a hard sell even if those can otherwise be relaxing.

- I like exploration but...most exploratory games by their nature involve one or more of the things I'm explicitly trying to avoid.

Exo one as far as I remember has no collectible, is straightforward and has light narration. It is also short.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Additional wants:

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Frog Detective
Carrion

lots of old Sega games like Bio-Hazard Battle and the original Streets of Rage are available on Steam and entirely innocent of number-go-up, if pretty light on narrative

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 7, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Murdoch posted:

Additional wants:

You might have an older version but transcendence got a bit of a tweak a year or so ago.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i haven't played the other two but Carrion is a great response to that prompt and i second it

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Come join us in the Old FPS Thread, and experience simple Doom Zen.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i haven't played the other two but Carrion is a great response to that prompt and i second it

It's a great game but there's definitely progression mechanics like in metroidvanias where you need to unlock skill X before you can come back to a place and open a new route.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's a great game but there's definitely progression mechanics like in metroidvanias where you need to unlock skill X before you can come back to a place and open a new route.
There's also secrets that make you generically buffer. Carrion is an excellent game but also the exact opposite of what they're looking for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

if your interpretation of "progression mechanics" is that broad there are no games that meet the criteria. carrion's vertical scaling in the RPG "number go up" sense is basically non-existent, the secrets / achievements are all things you could do while playing normally and not even notice you'd done them, and even if you are compelled to seek every last one of them out, 100%-ing the game takes like eight hours tops

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 7, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John Murdoch posted:

Do you own Twinsen's Odyssey?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if your interpretation of "progression mechanics" is that broad there are no games that meet the criteria.

I disagree with this. Carrion is an awesome game, but like all metroidvanias, it does include bactracking to unlock previously locked secret areas, and secret upgrades.

Since OP specifically said this "Because I get extremely wrapped up in that stuff so basically when 100% completion isn't a totally insane chore I get hyper invested in it" I think it's not the kind of game they are looking for.

But you are correct, not very much modern games meet this criteria, but a few do. I mentionned Exo one as an example. Another one would be In Other Waters. Both are short, pleasant games with no secrets/collectibles/whatever and you get a nice feeling of satisfaction when finishing them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Outer Wilds might be a good one, any optional stuff is just additional lore and background. There's a clear path to completion with basically no stats, progression etc beyond knowledge - you can do all the steps required to complete the game immediately upon starting if you know what you're doing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

But you are correct, not very much modern games meet this criteria, but a few do. I mentionned Exo one as an example. Another one would be In Other Waters. Both are short, pleasant games with no secrets/collectibles/whatever and you get a nice feeling of satisfaction when finishing them.
I've got a bunch of games that would fit the no unlocks (outside of steam achievements) criteria, but not easy drop-in games. Pretty much any 4X would count for example. If we ignore that requirement I would 100% endorse Planetfall and just playing through the campaign(s).

\/ Good point, would something like Rogue Legacy work since while there are progression mechanics they're all just "Spend the money you got last time to get more buff" \/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 7, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is it unlocks in general that are the problem, or is it more about feeling the need to obsessively track down a bunch of marginally-meaningful crap? I guess it's mostly a moot point, since any game with meaningful unlocks will probably also have largely meaningless unlocks since they're a cheap way to add content.

I don't have any suggestions either way, but as a game designer, I would like to understand the player psychology here.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
My game of the minute is Rogue Fable 3. No unlocks, allegedly every seed is beatable with whatever class/race you pick, and cheevos are all doable. Runs are under two hours and the best speed run is like 8 minutes.

The game does track individual race/class combo wins/deaths/streaks if you care.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

So, I ended up getting 9th Dawn III on IOS and it's a fun mobile game. Reminds me of Diablo with a deeper crafting system. I'm in the dungeon Sinfall right now. Thanks for all the recommendations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Big ole quote train incoming...

External Organs posted:

Do you own Twinsen's Odyssey?
AKA Little Big Adventure? I think I've got both of those games lying around somewhere, but I think those might fall into the slightly too arcane range for me. I'd much rather go back and watch some LPs of 'em, tbh.

Splicer posted:

You might have an older version but transcendence got a bit of a tweak a year or so ago.
Uh...what? Do you mean https://store.steampowered.com/app/364510/Transcendence/? :confused:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Outer Wilds might be a good one, any optional stuff is just additional lore and background. There's a clear path to completion with basically no stats, progression etc beyond knowledge - you can do all the steps required to complete the game immediately upon starting if you know what you're doing
I've had Outer Wilds on deck for a while. Been a little intimidated to start since I know just enough about it to know what I'd be getting into, but I see how it fits the profile. :hmmyes:

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Come join us in the Old FPS Thread, and experience simple Doom Zen.
Funnily enough, since I'm easily influenced, simply by watching somebody playing Doom on Twitch last night I started thinking maybe I should just get that going again. A non-zero amount of my frustration has been wanting to maybe replay Doom 2016 and finally Eternal after that, but those are very much games that are stuffed to the gills with the exact junk I'm trying to avoid. Because of how my brain works I've even struggled with whether I should jump back into 2016 with my original save file with everything already fully unlocked, thereby skipping the crap, or willingly dive right back in and re-experience it in full.

Splicer posted:

I've got a bunch of games that would fit the no unlocks (outside of steam achievements) criteria, but not easy drop-in games. Pretty much any 4X would count for example. If we ignore that requirement I would 100% endorse Planetfall and just playing through the campaign(s).
Strategy games are a whole weird area for me. I tend to love them in theory, but in practice I struggle with them a lot. Like the last time I was in this kind of mood I booted up Civ V, pretty much the one 4X I sort of know how to play, then made it through all of two games before getting weary of it. To speak to your example, I've owned the complete Planetfall for a while now, but I've never managed to pull the trigger on actually playing the drat thing even though it looks cool as gently caress.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is it unlocks in general that are the problem, or is it more about feeling the need to obsessively track down a bunch of marginally-meaningful crap? I guess it's mostly a moot point, since any game with meaningful unlocks will probably also have largely meaningless unlocks since they're a cheap way to add content.

I don't have any suggestions either way, but as a game designer, I would like to understand the player psychology here.
A good example I use is Mario Odyssey. Playing through it for the first time, I had a blast poking around finding moons at my own pace and just generally moving through the game as I liked. Sure, you need to find a minimum number of moons to proceed from level to level but I had fun overachieving on those goals because exploring, platforming, and puzzle solving were all satisfying on their own. But I didn't exhaustively comb every single level for every last moon because the game didn't incentivize doing so and I knew there was an endgame that added even more poo poo to do anyway. And there was the turning point - once the endgame unlocked, Toadette's challenges became a thing, and the game actively tracked the full list of moons to find I immediately started worrying about 100%ing it and subsequently burnt out.

In a similar vein, when I'm actively in the thick of a Metroidvania I'm not necessarily paralyzed by the thought I've missed an item somewhere at all times, but inevitably when it comes time to do a sweep of a the map and gather everything up, you better believe I'm stressing out about every last missile container as if my life depended on it. This even extends to outside of games themselves, I'm the rear end in a top hat who hate hate hates not having the "Complete Edition" of games with lots of DLC.

I guess it's also worth noting that I'm coming off of Enter the Gungeon and Risk of Rain 2, two system mastery-heavy roguelikes with lots of incredibly mean bespoke challenges to overcome. My tipping point was struggling to unlock the newest hidden character in Vampire Survivors, which is some fiddly and arcane bullshit. So in that sense it might not entirely be progression systems in a vacuum, but also anything requiring a high degree of system mastery. Like I loving love the Dark Souls games, but like hell am I going to try and tackle Elden Ring right now. Yet just like trying to pin down games with minimal progression mechanics it's about as hard and deeply subjective to pin down games with minimal system mastery. :shrug:

To put it yet another way, I'm looking for a self-contained game where I won't find myself going to Google and/or Youtube to look something up. Whether that's because I'm stuck on figuring out how to find a collectible or solve a puzzle in-situ or because the game is complex enough that I need to devote out of game study hours to it. But, as a counterpoint, it ideally needs to be something with a little bit of substance to latch onto. Not to be too reductive, but while I can appreciate something like Journey for what it is, that general range of """artsy fartsy""" games isn't what I'm after at the moment. Hence why I'm left wondering if something more retro might be the ticket, Mario 3 or Doom just go (though they both still have secrets to worry about :ohdear:).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also I guess apologies for moving slightly afield from "recommend me a game" and more towards "diagnose my mental illnesses". :/

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Also I guess apologies for moving slightly afield from "recommend me a game" and more towards "diagnose my mental illnesses". :/

These are fun questions, don't even fret!

Edit: it's for sure toxoplasmosis, watch out for cat poop

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

let he who has never 'sperged cast the first stone

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the unique things that videogames have going for them as a medium is that you can choose your own level of engagement so that the experience of playing a game can expand and contract with how long you, the player, want it to be. A book can't slip in a couple extra passages for you to read if you're really interested in a certain aspect, but a videogame can slip in lore entries and extra quests for a bit that you're into that players who aren't into can just breeze past. That's why collectables and achievements have just gotten so popular. Completionists can wring 20 hours out of a game that speedrunners can beat in 2. Some games may go overboard with systems like that (especially Ubisoft), but it's supposed to be just an extra instead of an obligation. Breath of the Wild sort of punishes you for going through the effort of finding all 900+ seeds in a game that otherwise is about a world that is too big to cover every inch of.

My favorite (and maybe the newest) game that I can recommend for being chill and probably not triggering any completionist urges is A Short Hike. It's just a lot of wandering around on a mountain trying to get enough feathers to get to the top.

Some other self-contained games without much in the way of extra collectibles that you may or may not have already tried: Subnautica, Wuppo, Bastion, Punch Club, Celeste (if you don't stress about the B-sides), Shovel Knight (if you don't get into Joustus with King Knight), Westerado, Shadow of the Colossus. There may be extra collectables and achievements in those games, but they very much don't matter. Celeste has a whole commentary on the experience of doing something hard like playing a hard game or climbing a mountain with its plot that you may find some meaning in.

Some games I think have a relatively small and attainable amount of collectables you might not be as stressed about are Arkham Asylum, Jedi Fallen Order, and Snakepass. Snakepass doesn't have a leveling system but also doesn't have a story.

You may also take some solace in roguelikes where there aren't really permanent collectibles between games so you can make your peace with the concept, but the flipside of those is that actually getting to the end in a roguelike is very hard and most average gamers will never finish them. Spelunky has a free version that you can try to see if you like it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Nah, you're fine! I find this all quite interesting. Do you think it would be accurate to say that problems start when the game starts measuring your "progress"? Or to put it another way, the existence of a reward for "doing everything" creates a sense of obligation for you to be a completionist?

I'm working on a game that features collectable upgrades -- new technologies that you can use to build better warships. While most of them are just randomly dropped (with a drop rate such that you should get all the techs in a mission if you kill most of the enemies), most missions have a "treasure" tech hidden away somewhere that requires a bit of hunting to find. The game tells you how many techs you've found in each mission, as well as how many there are to find and whether you've found the treasure. I'm guessing this is exactly the kind of thing you're trying to avoid?

Would it help if there was a gameplay option that specifically removed all of the treasures and also made it so that you could only find, say, half of the other techs in any given playthrough? In other words, it'd specifically make completionism impossible, while also all-but-guaranteeing that you would get every possible tech in each mission.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yup! It's a space roguelike. Start with a ship, make ship better, keep progressing until you get to the galactic core, hooray you win.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for something semi-specific

I'm a huge fan of the Monster Hunter series and am looking for that similar "Fight > Get materials > Craft Gear > Repeat" cycle but for a low-mid end laptop. Something on the chiller side would be nice, maybe something turn based, though that's not a requirement. Something monster/creature based would be great too, but again not a requirement.

The only hard requirement I have is that its not party based, I want to control/upgrade one character.

I'm burned out on roguelikes like ToME and the big name loot titles like Diablo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Oh poo poo Transcebdence was cool when i played it long ago. I see they still haven't made part two :/

Spoiler, you never get to the galactic core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I don't know if this would yield much of a result but I'm looking for recommendations for games that have interesting commentary or portrayal of the gyaru subculture. Preferably ones made or set around the height of it.

My only knowledge of them up until recently were old SA threads clowning on it a decade or so ago, but I clicked on a random para para dance video and lead into a documentary deep dive and realised I didn't really know anything about it aside from the style associated with it.

The only games I can think of that might have something are the Yakuza games seeing as most of them are set around that time. I've definitely seen the image reflected in other games but I'm kind of hoping to find a little more even if it's simply what the perception of them in Japan was at the time.