Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations, going to double check the size of the skiff and delve into modulargrid with these ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does Viol Ruina compare to Ruina Versio? I've seen some extremely juicy demos on youtube of the latter that makes it seem like a slam dunk choice.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Big fan of both of these too. 0chd in particular shows up in almost every single patch of mine, and Rings plays a role in half the jams and tracks I make.

Viol Ruina is one I've definitely been interested in, but I just haven't around to getting it yet. I have enough other filter and distortion sources in my rack that it hasn't been a high priority.

Oh, and something that might be super fun for noise/ambient? Noise Engineering's Basimilus Iteritas Alter is sold as a percussion synthesizer, but if you put an audio-rate oscillator through the trigger it becomes a hellish, dirty drone. I loving love it.

Also fun for ambient is putting a noise source through the input of Rings. It can create a really wonderful Boards of Canada-style string effect. If you want an example, I used it on this track - specifically, using the noise source from MN Telharmonic into Rings and using 0chd to slowly modulate the Centroid and Flux inputs.

gently caress, I love modular.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
These folks have already nailed a lot of great options. I have a 100 Grit as well and can vouch for it being a lot of fun. Great for making sounds like electricity being squeezed out of a toothpaste tube. All of the Schlappi stuff is pretty neat. Have had the most fun with the Angle Grinder, but it's not really what you're looking for.

To throw a couple more in the mix:

- https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-sarajewo

Great delay with a BBD chip. I find that I am often using it with long delay times and getting some cool swampy, reverby textures to layer onto things with. Lots of cool feedback and cross-patchability.

- https://www.modulargrid.net/e/random-source-serge-resonant-equalizer-eq

The Res EQ is super cool. On the surface it's just a big filter with a lot of knobs, but the resonance you can drive with it makes it so versatile for making drums or creating wild avalanches of feedback. I've lost some of my hearing because of this module.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 7, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What kinda delay is the carbon copy? It has a mod lfo and is analog supposedly. Is it a bbD?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A MIRACLE posted:

What kinda delay is the carbon copy? It has a mod lfo and is analog supposedly. Is it a bbD?

Yup.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What’s a good eurorack bbD that has that mod feature. I’m sorry it keeps capitalizing bbD like this

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Erica one is probably decent?

Or anything PT2399 based if the sim works for you (it sounds a lot like a carbon copy to me, not very much like a moog bbd though)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Didn't know where I should post this but here it is.

Cliff's Notes version: I'm a nurse, went from pediatrics/ortho to being a full-time covid nurse when the pandemic started in February 2020, worked 18 months under huge stress, in isolation, developed major depression and severe occipital nerve headaches, stopped sleeping, was suicidal. I got therapy/meds for quite a while, and just recently finished 6 weeks of transcranial magnetic stimulation, which miraculously has sent my depression into complete remission.

Side effect of not being depressed all the time any more: my creative mind has gone completely dark. I still love listening to music, but there is basically almost no interest in even trying to noodle around with my set up. Same goes for the drums which I've played since I was 9 years old.

Anybody else deal with something like this? It's not a catastrophic loss, and I'll take not being depressed over being an amateur synth player, but ughhhhh I miss it. And yet still no drive or ideas tickling my brain any more, to the point where I'm considering selling my gear.

That's my sob story and I see my therapist Friday, but was curious if anybody else had dealt with a creative block/loss like that. I've lost inspiration a million times, but this is something entirely different.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get bits of that, my approach is to stop trying to make it happen and do something non creative for a while. Hike, exercise, a different hobby, read a book, movies, whatever. At least for me I always get drawn back and have some fun. Might take days or weeks but forcing things just makes it worse.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

while being uninspired sucks, this is an excellent time to be digging trenches and stockpiling cans of beans

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

a mysterious cloak posted:

Cliff's Notes version: I'm a nurse, went from pediatrics/ortho to being a full-time covid nurse when the pandemic started in February 2020, worked 18 months under huge stress, in isolation, developed major depression and severe occipital nerve headaches, stopped sleeping, was suicidal. I got therapy/meds for quite a while, and just recently finished 6 weeks of transcranial magnetic stimulation, which miraculously has sent my depression into complete remission.

Side effect of not being depressed all the time any more: my creative mind has gone completely dark. I still love listening to music, but there is basically almost no interest in even trying to noodle around with my set up. Same goes for the drums which I've played since I was 9 years old.

Anybody else deal with something like this? It's not a catastrophic loss, and I'll take not being depressed over being an amateur synth player, but ughhhhh I miss it. And yet still no drive or ideas tickling my brain any more, to the point where I'm considering selling my gear.

That's my sob story and I see my therapist Friday, but was curious if anybody else had dealt with a creative block/loss like that. I've lost inspiration a million times, but this is something entirely different.

modular is kinda great for this, because it's more a matter of curation than active genesis of musical ideas. you set things up systematically, with vague ideas what will happen, and then turn knobs around until something good happens.

i was very depressed for a long time after covid took all my gigs away, and didn't even want to look at guitars/basses; loving around in vcv helped me get some passion for music back.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

I've written and recorded music on and off since I was in grade school. My most prolific periods were stretches of my life where I dealt with prolonged anxiety or stress, and in more recent years, after heartbreaking loss. Creating music is literally how I process pain and anxiety. During years when things are fine, I have nothing to say. And at several points in my life, when I've thought about it, I came to your same conclusion: If I've got a choice between being creative and being happy, I'll choose the latter.

Coincidentally, I'm half-way into my third produced track in three months, and last night I pulled my vocal mic and boom arm out of storage, since I'm gonna be recording vocals for the first time since 2018. Eagerly awaiting the end of this creative period.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JamesKPolk posted:

Erica one is probably decent?

Or anything PT2399 based if the sim works for you (it sounds a lot like a carbon copy to me, not very much like a moog bbd though)

fwiw the PT2399s I’ve tried do not come anywhere close to what I get out of the Carbon Copy/BBD. Not saying you’re wrong or something just my experience!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah the "if the sim works for you" is doing a lot of lifting there (it doesn't for me, for what its worth, I just meant I think it lands closer to that than say an echo shifter)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've found that what got me back into using my synths was jamming with friends and trying to perform at open mics. Either way glad you are not dealing with depression anymore and I'm sure that spark will come back again eventually.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Almost all my compulsion to write (I'm a poet by training) comes from doing things that are not writing, but especially from reading and visual media. Things peripherally involved with writing. If I get too far from that, then there's no output. That's where the real problem is for me: if I've stopped doing the instigating things then I stop creating.

In my case, that tends to be when I'm most depressed. I appreciate that lots of people find inspiration in their darker moods, but my impulses shut off then. If I'm not consuming influence, then I'm not excreting work.

In general, I'd suggest finding the things that are connected to creative cycles that aren't specifically creating. What is it that genuinely influences what you do? What is it about being low that leads to working? Is it the inattention to other things? The focusing of time/effort?

I only bring any of this up because I genuinely worry about people who believe they are only creative when depressed or otherwise out of sorts. Partially because it seems like correlation and not causation, and partially because associating those two things can be extremely destructive, like the musical equivalent of "I drive better when I'm drunk."

That's not to say you can't do work that isn't influenced by those moods or emotions. Some of my darkest, truest work has been written while perfectly content, and in a space mentally and physically that's safe enough to explore that stuff without being consumed by it. Change your approach from one of expression to introspection, maybe.

Most of all, remember that consistent, prolific creative output is *very hard* even for the best. Work at your pace and don't feel like you owe anyone, even yourself, anything unless they've already paid for it.

And everything you do is part of The Work, even if you're not actively building a patch or track. It all gets amalgamated whether you're conscious of it or not. It'll come. Just make sure you're ready to capture it somehow when it does. Half mumbled melodies into phone voice notes, structural chicken scratches in a journal, conceptual text messages to a friend, whatever. It all goes in the bank. Getting in the habit of recording it no matter where it happens is the biggest part.

I believe in y'all and I hope it gets better soon, creatively or otherwise.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any recommendations for a 3+ input usb or battery powered mixer? I don’t need a full interface or mic inputs. My Volca mix would be perfect if it didn’t have to be near a wall outlet at all times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I still see the bluebox mixer talked about as a really good solution. Seems to fit your requirements, but isn't exactly budget.

But pretty much any mixer you get that. has a bunch of inputs that isn't massive is going to be a few hundred so it's probably appropriate-ish.

e: I think the vintage Boss BX-4 can be run off batteries if google serves me right. Always wanted one of those vintage Boss mixers just for their simplicity, but never really justified the spend.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 7, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Maybe one of the Roland Go Mixers?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Any recommendations for a 3+ input usb or battery powered mixer? I don’t need a full interface or mic inputs. My Volca mix would be perfect if it didn’t have to be near a wall outlet at all times.

If you don't need EQ or stereo then a Bastl Dude might work

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
You could try one of those USB-9-12V converters with the Volca mixer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

rickiep00h posted:

Almost all my compulsion to write (I'm a poet by training) comes from doing things that are not writing, but especially from reading and visual media. Things peripherally involved with writing. If I get too far from that, then there's no output. That's where the real problem is for me: if I've stopped doing the instigating things then I stop creating.

In my case, that tends to be when I'm most depressed. I appreciate that lots of people find inspiration in their darker moods, but my impulses shut off then. If I'm not consuming influence, then I'm not excreting work.

In general, I'd suggest finding the things that are connected to creative cycles that aren't specifically creating. What is it that genuinely influences what you do? What is it about being low that leads to working? Is it the inattention to other things? The focusing of time/effort?

I only bring any of this up because I genuinely worry about people who believe they are only creative when depressed or otherwise out of sorts. Partially because it seems like correlation and not causation, and partially because associating those two things can be extremely destructive, like the musical equivalent of "I drive better when I'm drunk."

That's not to say you can't do work that isn't influenced by those moods or emotions. Some of my darkest, truest work has been written while perfectly content, and in a space mentally and physically that's safe enough to explore that stuff without being consumed by it. Change your approach from one of expression to introspection, maybe.

Most of all, remember that consistent, prolific creative output is *very hard* even for the best. Work at your pace and don't feel like you owe anyone, even yourself, anything unless they've already paid for it.

And everything you do is part of The Work, even if you're not actively building a patch or track. It all gets amalgamated whether you're conscious of it or not. It'll come. Just make sure you're ready to capture it somehow when it does. Half mumbled melodies into phone voice notes, structural chicken scratches in a journal, conceptual text messages to a friend, whatever. It all goes in the bank. Getting in the habit of recording it no matter where it happens is the biggest part.

This is a good post. I agree and relate entirely :love:

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

snorch posted:

You could try one of those USB-9-12V converters with the Volca mixer.

I hooked up one of those to a battery pack, put a DC splitter cable on the end and i think i was able to run three volcas from it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Mix does DC splitting so if I can battery pack -> Mix I’d go buy a dedicated Anker battery for it. Do you mind helping me find the usb cable?

If not, the Dude posted looks good.

Also the BlueBox looks so awesome but it costs and does way more than I’m looking for, which is not unusual for this thread.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 7, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

creamcorn posted:

modular is kinda great for this, because it's more a matter of curation than active genesis of musical ideas. you set things up systematically, with vague ideas what will happen, and then turn knobs around until something good happens.

i was very depressed for a long time after covid took all my gigs away, and didn't even want to look at guitars/basses; loving around in vcv helped me get some passion for music back.

Big, big same. I've been making music in DAWs and trackers for 25 years now, but after 2014 I hit a long, intense dry spell. Getting into modular has really gotten me inspired again and I've even released an album for the first time since the dry spell began! Something about modular just clicks with my brain and is super easy to improvise and experiment with for me. Even if I were just to jam and noodle around for the rest of my life without releasing another new thing ever again, I'd be happy. Modular has been super fulfilling and worthwhile since I got into it a year ago.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The past couple years, the biggest thing that keeps me writing songs was committing to a songwriting competition. Partly for having an external prompt and deadline. The feedback was good. Also, I realized that the things I wanted to develop were not going to go far in a general songwriting space. Which is pretty great for figuring out what you actually want to do.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

So Math posted:

The past couple years, the biggest thing that keeps me writing songs was committing to a songwriting competition. Partly for having an external prompt and deadline. The feedback was good. Also, I realized that the things I wanted to develop were not going to go far in a general songwriting space. Which is pretty great for figuring out what you actually want to do.

The Rockstar cover competitions we used to have in this subforum kept me going for a couple of years. Really sad they fizzled out.

What competition(s) have you been submitting to?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, finally plugged in this wavetek, even though I hardly feel prepared, just running it into my UA-25ex, with the manual trigger it is pretty much everything I expected. Can make a variety of nice synth sounds, sweeps, whoever said it is sad it doesn't do a full up and down sweep was right but anyway. With some delay or chorus or something I think it can be made to sound pretty fine. As is, a minute ago it was sounding like the thing where Smart Patrol segues into Mr. DNA. Still need to play with it some more.

The guy who sold it to me says my piezo drum triggers should work on its trigger input. That's really exciting, I have some nice drums somewhere. What else could I use? Is there any way of translating an audio output into its trigger or VCG in? What else might you suggest, anybody?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RocketMermaid posted:

Big, big same. I've been making music in DAWs and trackers for 25 years now, but after 2014 I hit a long, intense dry spell. Getting into modular has really gotten me inspired again and I've even released an album for the first time since the dry spell began! Something about modular just clicks with my brain and is super easy to improvise and experiment with for me. Even if I were just to jam and noodle around for the rest of my life without releasing another new thing ever again, I'd be happy. Modular has been super fulfilling and worthwhile since I got into it a year ago.

Post your album!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thanks everyone for the support - still getting used to feeling "normal" so every day is something new (and good).

rickiep00h posted:

Thanks for this - when I was in high school and college I wrote a lot of short stories and some poetry on the way to getting my BA in English; even then, with very mild and intermittent depression, those dark moods were always the most productive. I'll definitely be digging into it in therapy, and thanks for reminding me to always be recording.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Post your album!

I think she already did!
https://rocketmermaid.bandcamp.com/album/the-future-is-here-and-everything-must-be-destroyed

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh yeah, I accidentally added rocketmermaid to my playlist, she sounds good!

Okay, this thing is fun but not fun enough by itself yet. I've gotten out the pulse generator but I may not make it this evening. I'm about to fall out. I'm definitely going to have to get out some electronic drum sensors and see what it can do.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Thanks everyone for the support - still getting used to feeling "normal" so every day is something new (and good).

Thanks for this - when I was in high school and college I wrote a lot of short stories and some poetry on the way to getting my BA in English; even then, with very mild and intermittent depression, those dark moods were always the most productive. I'll definitely be digging into it in therapy, and thanks for reminding me to always be recording.

Glad I can be a help to folks even if I'm not posting much in here. :unsmith:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

just get a x0xb0x, not as flexible as the D but its got an equally classic sound (beautiful filters, though a bit rougher) and for the price you can get a couple plus a midipal for polyphony (!!!)

acid chords :getin:

net work error posted:

Has this been done I need to know what this sounds like.

JamesKPolk posted:

I did a bit w/ a sampler as a proof of concept and its pretty cool but you're gonna have to take my word for it cause my sound card cable died in the process of recording. ACIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDD.

The real thing would probably be even better cause you'd get the Oberheim 4-Voice 'slightly different voice settings' thing going on... poo poo, I really want to try it now.

edit: here

https://soundcloud.com/space-mage/acidchord

Weird stuff with my sound card yesterday... I thought maybe it overheated but I couldn't get any other signal through the fire wire cord (from my hard drive for example), then today I plugged it out and in and no issues recording. It's a MOTU 828 Mk1 I got very used, running through a Thunderbolt adapter - which should work, until it doesn't anyway (going by other people's experiences). Anyone ever have firewire cords temporarily fail?

I present: the dream (4 TD-3s powered off of a 1 Spot)

A big thank you to synth thread posters petit choux and some kinda jackal for helping me accomplish a 6+ year old dream today. Maybe longer? I remember thinking about this in my New York studio, moving out here in 2015, but that might be nostalgia playing tricks. Fantastic traders, would mail synths to each other again.

In an intense bout of synchronicity I found the sound card I was complaining about today in the post I quoted and couldn't remember what was wrong with it. The healing power of the 303.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

JamesKPolk posted:

A big thank you to synth thread posters petit choux and some kinda jackal for helping me accomplish a 6+ year old dream today. Maybe longer? I remember thinking about this in my New York studio, moving out here in 2015, but that might be nostalgia playing tricks. Fantastic traders, would mail synths to each other again.

In an intense bout of synchronicity I found the sound card I was complaining about today in the post I quoted and couldn't remember what was wrong with it. The healing power of the 303.

Beautiful. I need more 303s

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

CatBlack posted:

Beautiful. I need more 303s
Buy all the 30things. (I have eight.)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

Wow that looks fun. You are most welcome. Still futzing around with this signal generator. Made such a wide range of sounds, right now I can't even remember how to get back to most of them. I feel like one of the guys making the Dr. Who show sounds or something, just getting all these crude, outlandish noises. Definitely sounded like various old arcade games now and then for one thing. Joust, Space Invaders, Galaxian type stuff mostly.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 8, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JamesKPolk posted:

OMG you’re doing the thing I’ve wanted to do

Question: would you go with 4 TD3s + 1 RD6? Or 3 TD3s + 2RD6? 5 TD3?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I am working on a project that showcases the Roland MKS-50 (same guts as the Alpha Juno 1/2). I designed all the patches in an Alpha Juno emulation plugin called AudioRealism ReDominator, and I am using the KiwiTechnics Patch Editor to translate my ReDominator sounds to actual MKS-50 patches. (My very first synth was an Alpha Juno 1. It died in storage a long time ago, and I later replaced it with the MKS-50.)

I just wanted to call out something really clever the Patch Editor device does in Alpha Juno mode: One of the unique things about the Alpha Juno/MKS-50 is the envelope. Rather than standard ADSR, the envelope has 4 time parameters and 3 level parameters (T1/L1, T2/L2, T3/L3, T4). In Alpha Juno mode, the Patch Editor gives you two different ways of manipulating the envelope, split across 2 different virtual pages.

Page 2 gives you direct control over all 7 envelope parameters (controls 29-35 below; the numbers correspond to the table of MKS-50 programmable parameters in the Roland manual):

But Page 1 lets you control the envelope in ADSR format by combining different parameters into the same sliders (see how parameters 29-35 are arranged, compared to page 2):

This is so cool! While I always liked having the ability to do more complicated things with the Juno's envelope, sometimes ADSR is all you really need, and the extra sustain stages can kind of get in the way when sketching out a new sound.

Another cool thing about the Patch Editor is that it only illuminates controls that are valid for a given "page." The lights don't match my control labels in the photos because the pictures I used were from when the Patch Editor was in MKS-80 mode. In practice, though, the lights are very helpful in guiding you to the correct controls.