Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maryanne is so annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Daniel is so annoying

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Coaching her to be better at survivor? lol that came across as so condescending

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I add very little value.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I don't know if there's an easier puzzle than untie the rope??

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Isn't there a rule about the same person sitting out constantly? Did that go away, or is it suspended because Daniel hosed up his shoulder in-game?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Boxman posted:

Isn't there a rule about the same person sitting out constantly? Did that go away, or is it suspended because Daniel hosed up his shoulder in-game?

You can only sit out once per set of challenges between councils. So if there's a a merged reward/immunity, then a council, you can sit out the next tribal.

(There's weird exceptions in like, Palau too)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Daniel is the loving worst

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
“Sorry”

Goddamnit, don’t.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
best part was the fishing to escape the tribal bickering and then when daniel is voted off.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Poor Jonathon has it rough.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Keeping STRUNK in my tribal council draft was extremely worth it even though it def cost me first

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Studio posted:

Keeping STRUNK in my tribal council draft was extremely worth it even though it def cost me first

Man I've gotta ask, do you know this guy personally or something or are you memeing something that exists in a different survivor community I'm unaware of, because Daniel comes across on tv as a completely unlikable chode

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mean that's the joke, his name is Strunk and he worked on the Jeb! campaign, and he turned out to be totally inept. It writes itself.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Strunk'd by the best.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SweetJahasus posted:

Man I've gotta ask, do you know this guy personally or something or are you memeing something that exists in a different survivor community I'm unaware of, because Daniel comes across on tv as a completely unlikable chode

Strunk managed to gently caress up literally the entire time, even starting off as likeable! Like ten seconds into Survivor he's fallen onto sand while lookin' like a real doofus. He Jeb!'d in a way only a real Jeb could, by burning every possible connection in a way where everyone seemed to hate him, and every time he tried to salvage anything it turned up worse.

Ironically I don't even think he's the person they should've voted out! He's clearly loyal to a fault with how he tried to preserve Jenny, and likely would've STRUNK around Hai, Lydia, and Mike.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Studio posted:

Ironically I don't even think he's the person they should've voted out! He's clearly loyal to a fault with how he tried to preserve Jenny

???????????????

Is this sarcasm?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

blue squares posted:

???????????????

Is this sarcasm?

No. He had:

Before Tribal Council when he knew Chanelle lost her vote as a chance to scramble.
The First Vote
The Revote

to dump Jenny.

He had three forks in the road and still went with a plan that (by the end) clearly had no path to success. He dumped her at rocks but like, why would anyone go to rocks at that point?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I think I agree with the strunk case as well tbh. As a spectator I'm happy he's gone. But were I in that majority, I think I tip toward keeping strunk. He has Adam vibes. Like yeah, he hosed up, but he also held himself accountable and made it clear he's sloppy.

If a player isn't a direct ally, take sloppy over cunning every time.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
You're going into the merge with two players who are on the outs... Chanelle is not showing any signs of fear and feels more likely to go hunting for other options.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think "Was loyal until it was inconvenient" is the case you really think you're making. Loyalty means when its inconvenient. All Daniel sticking with Jenny to that point means is that maybe he just thought he was smart enough to make it happen until it became clear he wasn't.

I do think something can be said for leaving in the guy you know sucks, but that also means leaving in someone you know is a snake who will sell you out into a merge. The other tribe just did that with Tori and her first words after are "I'm selling these people out at the merge!" I don't think keeping around a useful idiot is really a bankable strategy. Sometimes it works out but its just a lot of room for error. Maybe Daniel's tamed and humbled but maybe he's just smart enough to know he has no other option at the moment. When he does that might change.

But also like they blindsided Mike. So I just don't feel like they're playing that well and there's no real reason for them to expect loyalty from anyone into the merge.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 7, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

But also like they blindsided Mike. So I just don't feel like they're playing that well and there's no real reason for them to expect loyalty from anyone into the merge.

How did they blindside Mike? Everyone voted to plan except for Channelle, who voted for him in case Daniel played the dice and was safe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nihonniboku posted:

How did they blindside Mike? Everyone voted to plan except for Channelle, who voted for him in case Daniel played the dice and was safe.

Mea culpa. I must have missed that plan or just didn't put it together. I just assumed they were playing the math. But I was kind of out of it last night. My bad.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

blue squares posted:

???????????????

Is this sarcasm?

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-daniel-strunk-interview/

he goes into detail about how he basically was trying to protect both Mike and Channelle, but neither of them would give him anything -- and that he and Channelle had agreed not to risk their vote on the walk and then she immediately did.

Also forgotten in this business about the not merge -- Omar still doesn't have a vote either.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

curiousCat posted:

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-42-daniel-strunk-interview/

he goes into detail about how he basically was trying to protect both Mike and Channelle, but neither of them would give him anything -- and that he and Channelle had agreed not to risk their vote on the walk and then she immediately did.

Also forgotten in this business about the not merge -- Omar still doesn't have a vote either.

God, even his interview is wormy. Two big thing, one is probably a spoiler --

1. I'm confused about what he's saying about Chanelle. She walked off the boat last week and already knew she had lost her vote and then immediately told him? Aside from it being obvious, how would she know that quickly?

2. I strongly suspect he gives away the next boot in the final paragraph, because he lists all his best friends and they're all everyone who got voted off before him plus one other person, and as a supposed superfan he should know better, lol.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Idk. Daniel came across as generally pretty open and sincere in the interview.

I'm not about to stan for a Jebber but he seems fine. And I'd be really surprised if that last paragraph is a spoiler.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Why did Daniel go on and on about how awesome it is to be on Survivor but he participated in like one challenge the whole time... thats like half the reason people watch the show

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

aidoru posted:

Why did Daniel go on and on about how awesome it is to be on Survivor but he participated in like one challenge the whole time... thats like half the reason people watch the show

I often fast forward through the challenges unless I'm watching it live. I like the camp life and strategy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Aerox posted:

God, even his interview is wormy. Two big thing, one is probably a spoiler --

1. I'm confused about what he's saying about Chanelle. She walked off the boat last week and already knew she had lost her vote and then immediately told him? Aside from it being obvious, how would she know that quickly?

2. I strongly suspect he gives away the next boot in the final paragraph, because he lists all his best friends and they're all everyone who got voted off before him plus one other person, and as a supposed superfan he should know better, lol.

My guess is Chanelle probably thought on the way back 'oh noooo I should NOT have done that'. It's like realizing you make a mistake two seconds after you do it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

aidoru posted:

feels like the shows always been a blend of all three parts but challenges are usually when i zone out or take a break, who loses is really the part I'm waiting to find out. these days especially the challenges usually feel like some obstacle course, maybe some old puzzle we seent before. there's no "eat weird poo poo" challenges anymore, they shy away from gladiator fights, there's no themed anything, they don't do pecking order challenges, no quizzing, no crazy endurance feats, rarer to get those temptation quit-challenge moments.

So since he probably doesn't get the joke of Bart Simpson about himself, I get why he was still jazzed about his farts worth of survivor. If I were a survivor I wouldn't be looking forward to the challenge parts, especially if I'm not on the team with a Johnathon carrying. Unless it's cool challenges like eat bug, carry mud in hair, or spit pork into a bucket.

edit: If anyone watching Severance the finale had me thinking a certain character would be good at some of those endurance challenges.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 8, 2022

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They did 'eat weird stuff' as recently as S35, but I don't blame you for forgetting because Ghost Island was terrible.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think "Was loyal until it was inconvenient" is the case you really think you're making. Loyalty means when its inconvenient. All Daniel sticking with Jenny to that point means is that maybe he just thought he was smart enough to make it happen until it became clear he wasn't.
I don’t think this is quite fair. Going to rocks is far beyond the line of “inconvenient,” and if you’re talking about a premerge rock draw it’s basically into “stupid” territory, especially if you only have a 25% chance of winning it. I think he was as loyal to his original group as can be reasonably expected. Granted he immediately tried to publicly pin his vote on his ally Chanelle so that part wasn't so great.

quote:

I do think something can be said for leaving in the guy you know sucks, but that also means leaving in someone you know is a snake who will sell you out into a merge. The other tribe just did that with Tori and her first words after are "I'm selling these people out at the merge!" I don't think keeping around a useful idiot is really a bankable strategy. Sometimes it works out but its just a lot of room for error. Maybe Daniel's tamed and humbled but maybe he's just smart enough to know he has no other option at the moment. When he does that might change.
This isn’t quite a Swati and Tori situation because Swathi was actually in with the majority, so if they simply noted privately that she was a snake but kept her around, she’d probably at least be comfortable with them going forward, whereas Tori knows she’s always been on the bottom. In this case though Chanelle and Daniel both know they’re on the outs… Hard to say either of them is going to hold firm at a merge but Daniel was pushing that angle pretty hard and Chanelle already voted against Mike to cover herself so…

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 8, 2022

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I think they might have voted Chanelle if they were certain this was the last vote before the merge, but they were worried they'd have to run Strunk in one or more immunities, and end up right back at tribal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The funniest bit was when Daniel said he was blindsided, no you weren't dude you knew you were likely done this time.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I disagree, he says in postgame interviews he did think it was Chanelle and he didn't use the shot in the dark so the simplest explanation is that he was blindsided.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

yeah it's probably that murky zone where you know you're in the mix but you think you're staying.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ozzy has come out as bisexual

https://twitter.com/OzzyLusth/status/1512362913415274498

Which isn't a big surprise given that he's done videos with other men at his onlyfans. They weren't graphic though, so I thought it was just gaybait.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Daniel was an amazingly bad player and I enjoyed this week’s episode a great deal

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

aidoru posted:

I'd say it was probably related to the doctors telling him that he could cause permanent damage to his shoulder if he re-injured it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Studio posted:

Strunk managed to gently caress up literally the entire time, even starting off as likeable! Like ten seconds into Survivor he's fallen onto sand while lookin' like a real doofus. He Jeb!'d in a way only a real Jeb could, by burning every possible connection in a way where everyone seemed to hate him, and every time he tried to salvage anything it turned up worse.

I want to give this quote all the applause.

To be fair I worked on the Hillary and Biden campaigns and I'm certain I'd probably do even worse than he did.