Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Anyway, maybe I don't "get" Commander but what exactly is the appeal of this card? It doesn't do anything for you, it's just "let's you and him fight" over and over until you only have 1 opponent left and whoops now it's actively bad

it's a cat person op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The Nastier Nate posted:

now give me an army of the damned reprint

i think it was in a midnight hunt precon

also devilish valet is completely broken right? you need, what, 4 creatures w/haste, (or some kinda create token on attack) to deal lethal?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 8, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Strong Sauce" posted:

I want to travel to the plane with catgirl psychiatrists

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Owlbear Camus posted:

I want to travel to the plane with catgirl psychiatrists

No version of Gideon Jura can defeat this catgirl psychiatrist.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

i think it was in a midnight hunt precon

also devilish valet is completely broken right? you need, what, 4 creatures w/haste, (or some kinda create token on attack) to deal lethal?

I was thinking of playing it with Mirror March

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Oh hell yes

If the Gruul treasure sub-theme is really strong I feel like Goldspan Dragon may eat a Standard ban. (Obv this card doesn't necessarily threaten that because it'll still need two treasures from a dragon)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol cool

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Turn 1 shambling ghast, turn 2 deadly dispute into this.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Mono-Black Jund

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Mono-Black Jund

lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Anyway, maybe I don't "get" Commander but what exactly is the appeal of this card? It doesn't do anything for you, it's just "let's you and him fight" over and over until you only have 1 opponent left and whoops now it's actively bad

Card's a piec of poo poo, even in commander.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's commander-only, to be clear (NCC instead of SNC as the set code)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I love this design

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Mono-Black Jund
yeyeyeye

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Bant one sucks, but there's some nice Naya cards for Rin and Seri, so I'm happy. The cat therapist (catherapist) might be a surprise wincon, too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/WerewolfLiker/status/1512560977082044416?s=20&t=-I3w5zjY4F1FvVhdfZ-yvg

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
If you copy an Ob Nix non legendary token with cat car how much loyalty does it enter with?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bugsy posted:

If you copy an Ob Nix non legendary token with cat car how much loyalty does it enter with?

It would ETB with its printed loyalty.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Omniseer Arbiter 4UU

Creature - Avatar

Flying

Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or attacks, draw two cards, then discard a card.

Whenever you discard a card, target creature an opponent controls gets -X/-0 until your next turn, where X is the number of different mana values among cards in your graveyard.

5/4

why would wotc make people count the different mana values in their graveyard...

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Cause it’s designed for arena first

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I simply choose not to play commander

I only play it with my friends, they agree with me that actively trying to end the game before turn 400 is good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This cards wierd but in a way i like!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh two mana 5/4 seems modern playable? It dodges a lot of removal! It just requires two ragavan hits...okay thats the limiting factor, nevermind

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bugsy posted:

Zero.
The casaulty copy has a starting loyalty of X, which is always 0 except when on the stack.

quote:

706.3 The copy’s copiable values become the copied information, as modified by the copy’s status (see rule 110.5). Objects that copy the object will use the new copiable values.
You didn't copy loyalty, and you didn't copy the legendary supertype. Therefore..

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 9, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I need this to be instant :(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

why would wotc make people count the different mana values in their graveyard...

because they needed to fill out the card file and they ran out of ideas for a good gimmick for the obligatory cycle of mythic creatures, which this is presumably a part of

And also

uggy posted:

Cause it’s designed for arena first

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I need this to be instant :(

Being an instant wouldnt have saved that card. Theres no universe where that card is good without significant changes

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

HootTheOwl posted:

Zero.
The casaulty copy has a starting loyalty of X, which is always 0 except when on the stack.

You didn't copy loyalty, and you didn't copy the legendary supertype. Therefore..

Its starting loyalty will actually be whatever the value of X was, as confirmed by the Wizards rules staffers on Twitter. It's similar to how X/X tokens whose power/toughness are set when they're created work - if you have a 5/5 token from Kura and cost a clone on it, you'll get a 5/5 creature.

You can also see this with Jace from ZNR; if you copy one of the tokens he makes with Chariot, its starting loyalty will be 1, as set by the kicker ability creating the token.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Being an instant wouldnt have saved that card. Theres no universe where that card is good without significant changes

It will be an alchemy all star in a few months.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Holy poo poo alchemy is such a bad format, it doesn't even feel like magic. They had to give massive rewards with no entry to even get me to look at it but its soooo bad, I hate it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

It will be an alchemy all star in a few months.

Why? Every aspect of it seems mediocre

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
one mana and sac a creature token to deal four damage to a creature isn't the worst

def think we're going to see some cards with upsides for saccing creatures and/or magecraft-esque upsides for doublecasting spells once more of the set comes out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Well, okay, casualty one is fairly broad, but the rest seems so bleh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Why? Every aspect of it seems mediocre

the joke is that they'll make a better version by updating it like they've done with some other mechanics in alchemy, but even then those buffs haven't really turned any cards into 'all-stars' just not 'you're going to be as sad anymore if you try to make that deck work'

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

flatluigi posted:

one mana and sac a creature token to deal four damage to a creature isn't the worst

def think we're going to see some cards with upsides for saccing creatures and/or magecraft-esque upsides for doublecasting spells once more of the set comes out

Isn't it six damage? At the very least gaining six life from one mana has potential

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Zero.

I saw some judges posting about that interaction in the Twitter thread and they said they'll have to wait for the release notes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A big flaming stink posted:

Isn't it six damage? At the very least gaining six life from one mana has potential

it's six damage if you've done noncombat damage to the creature with some other spell already. on its own it'd do 1 with the copy, then it'd do 3 when the original resolves

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

flatluigi posted:

it's six damage if you've done noncombat damage to the creature with some other spell already. on its own it'd do 1 with the copy, then it'd do 3 when the original resolves

Wait I totally missed the non-combat damage part. I thought it was any damage. Yeah that makes the card way loving worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That card as instant is incredibly playable. Like it would kill Rag, DRC, and Sentienel, plus in its kicker mode (in any sac deck) it can even tag an omnath, pitch elementals.
It also hits planeswalkers, most of the relevant ones don't start above 4.