Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Wait really? That helps me not get it.thanks!

https://hibi.mx is run by the person who designed the visual style of the RAMA keyboards and are realising various new keyboards soon (in-stock, not group buy but likely limited) if you're overly concerned about keyboard drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
https://zoom65.com

preorders going up today for various countries, live tomorrow for US.

Looks like a decent kit for the price.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Some gorgeous customization options in there. I'm tempted by that lilac and rose gold combo.

Wired polling rate of 1000 is a cool thing to see in a keyboard like this, too. Not a lot of enthusiast keyboards bother to even list that in the specs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I thought VIA didn't work over Bluetooth, is that a recent development?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
For those curious about the Zoom65: I pre-ordered a wired version earlier this year. It should get here this month. Once I've built it, I can post some impressions.

Overall, it seems like a good deal, but who knows what the quality is like in real life.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I'm buying some switches to try out before I get a keyboard using the ones that can come with the moonlander as a starting point, which are some cherry and kailh box (I'll probably give the kailh speed a miss).

Are the cherry and kailh box 'equivalents' such as cherry brown and kailh box brown dissimilar enough to try both?

My usage will be mainly typing and some gaming, is there anything in particular I should avoid? The gaming is non-competitive and I generally prefer a controller anyway so it doesn't matter if it's a little clunky on the rare occasions I play a shooter or something.

I have an old 2012 macbook pro which is quite pleasing to type on which uses 'scissor' switches afaik, obviously it's a very different design but as a rough benchmark where would this fit into the mx style switch spectrum in terms of force and whether it's 'clickly' or just 'tactile'?

Anything from alternative or more boutique lines of switches I should throw into the test bag? I think I'll probably end up with something tactile.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Try the Boba U4 if you're used to laptop keys and leaning tactile. I started from the exact same spot and the U4 is the best (and quietest) tactile switch I have touched so far. Tried it after seeing quite a few more experienced posters itt say the same, so you don't just have to take my word for it. There's also an un-silenced version called the U4T if you want the noise.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Try the Boba U4 if you're used to laptop keys and leaning tactile. I started from the exact same spot and the U4 is the best (and quietest) tactile switch I have touched so far. Tried it after seeing quite a few more experienced posters itt say the same, so you don't just have to take my word for it. There's also an un-silenced version called the U4T if you want the noise.

I’ve tried a lot of switches, and I’m a full time writer.

Boba U4T’s are easily the best switches I’ve ever used.

It’s just me being a dork thinking about a high end Endgame that keeps me looking at other boards, and the fact that my GMMK Pro is not “cool” because they stole colorways for key caps that has me thinking i Don’t have my endgame yet, which is silly.

zhar
May 3, 2019

The boba's definitely seem worth adding. I imagine it's very subjective but it's not a situation where one of the variants (62 vs 68g) is regarded as just better than the other, right? I should try both?

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Nondescript Van posted:

I'm awful at soldering but love the white aesthetic for this. How hard is it to solder keys onto a board like this?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

sailormoon posted:

I'm awful at soldering but love the white aesthetic for this. How hard is it to solder keys onto a board like this?
It's hot-swappable, so not at all!

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

sailormoon posted:

If you are interested in soldering, keyboards are some of the easiest things to solder.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

zhar posted:

The boba's definitely seem worth adding. I imagine it's very subjective but it's not a situation where one of the variants (62 vs 68g) is regarded as just better than the other, right? I should try both?

Spring weight is preference. IMO, try 62g first. Heavier springs run the risk of fatigue.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nondescript Van posted:

Holy poo poo this matches almost everything I've been looking for in a full custom. Thank you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

If you are interested in soldering, keyboards are some of the easiest things to solder.

Yup, switches are giant through hole parts that are nicely spaced out. It's almost ideal to learn on.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nondescript Van posted:

Dammit, I'm already so happy with my Mode SixtyFive though. The Zoom65 price is almost suspiciously low for the features.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Left field question: if you have a macro pad a la a stream deck, is there really any reason to buy a TKL over a 65%? I’m a designer and I’m struggling between going for a Mode Eighty or a Space65 R3. I’m leaning Space because of my Stream Deck XL.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nondescript Van posted:

Help, I just bought a KBD67 last year, musn't buy another keeb, help, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gray Ghost posted:

Left field question: if you have a macro pad a la a stream deck, is there really any reason to buy a TKL over a 65%? I’m a designer and I’m struggling between going for a Mode Eighty or a Space65 R3. I’m leaning Space because of my Stream Deck XL.

The new mode 80 is extremely expensive for what you get and I wouldn't recommend it.

I am personally interested in the Maker Keyboards Velvet: https://www.makerkeyboards.com/products/velvet?variant=41321368223894

250 unit group buy, so unclear how long it'll stay available for.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Artelier posted:

Help, I just bought a KBD67 last year, musn't buy another keeb, help, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

I've had a kbd67mkii for 2 years and I bought a kbd67 lite last week and I'm still seriously considering this

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gray Ghost posted:

I don't really think a Stream Deck factors in too much when choosing between a TKL vs 65/75. The main advantage is the space saved on the right due to the condensed cluster. Your preference in having more room for your mouse or other input device and aesthetics would matter more.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Constellation I posted:

I don't really think a Stream Deck factors in too much when choosing between a TKL vs 65/75. The main advantage is the space saved on the right due to the condensed cluster. Your preference in having more room for your mouse or other input device and aesthetics would matter more.

It's mostly the lack of function keys I was concerned about; I've never really used them in my work and my main rig is a PC right now, so I haven't needed them for multimedia functions for some time.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Wired polling rate of 1000 is a cool thing to see in a keyboard like this, too. Not a lot of enthusiast keyboards bother to even list that in the specs

I think for the most part if the keyboard supports QMK, then it's kind of implied for enthusiasts since most of the newer MCUs that support QMK are capable of 1000Hz and NKRO, etc.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Dammit, I'm already so happy with my Mode SixtyFive though. The Zoom65 price is almost suspiciously low for the features.

Probably has to do with scale of order. I don't think there's any limit on the Zoom so they're banking on a lot of orders, same as the Ikki68.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
That price is super tempting, drat. Fully loaded up with the alu case, external weight and internal weight, I can't imagine the Bluetooth signal holding up well though. But I guess most people will be using this wired.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I looked up reviews, and one consistent con I see for the Zoom65 is that the knob is a bit small and close to the other keys making it awkward to use without hitting the other keys. The knob was the main reason I wanted the Zoom65 so thankfully I can pass on this for now and stick to my KBD67 Lite and not purchase any other keyboards.......

......except YouTube's algorithm made me discover the QK65 which looks to be the KBD67Lite but betterHELPPPP

(For real the Zoom65 looks great even with a slightly iffy to use knob tbh)

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Imo, the best value boards right now are:

65% - $164.99 - bakeneko65 from cannon keys

TKL - $240.00 - Freebird TKLfrom keebsforall

They'll also probably be the best sounding ones because they both are the new hotness in o-ring gasket mount like the "endgame" Unikorn keyboard. The Freebird tkl can also be used in either top mount or o-ring gasket mount.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

you can just buy any knob. it's not a proprietary rotary encoder or something like that.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Finally got my screw problem fixed, although it left a noticeable paint chip around one screw hole. But eh, what can you do.

Always been a fan of the KAT profile (really accentuates the marbly sound of gasket mounted, foam-crazy boards like the Mr. Suit) but these Cyberspace caps are a massive let down. It just looks and feels cheap and the GID gimmick rarely even works. Not to mention the GMK-ish wait time.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

ihatepants posted:

Imo, the best value boards right now are:

65% - $164.99 - bakeneko65 from cannon keys

TKL - $240.00 - Freebird TKLfrom keebsforall

They'll also probably be the best sounding ones because they both are the new hotness in o-ring gasket mount like the "endgame" Unikorn keyboard. The Freebird tkl can also be used in either top mount or o-ring gasket mount.

Do not buy the Bakeneko65 from CK.

It's cast instead of CNC'd which means the finish is extremely inconsistent, many people have reported issues with the clearance for the USB cutout because of how it's cast.

Here's just one example of how someone received theirs, and this somehow passed QC.

The inside weight is uncoated zinc so it will rust over time.

It uses a solid blocker for the arrow key separation instead of a floating blocker, so there is a ton of pressure on the right side of the o-ring, which makes the typing experience uneven and misaligns the PCB. You can see it in the picture on their website (look at how the top gap between the case and the keys changes).

Also, when options like the Block-67 and the Maker Phantom exist for similar prices on r/mechmarket and have better implementations of the Bakeneko65 files, there's no reason to buy CK's incredibly lazy version. Hell, the Block-67 was $144 in group buy, full CNC'd, anodized, and a floating blocker. There's no reason that CK can't produce a cast and powder-coated keyboard for way less than that and still make good profits.

Do not buy the Bakeneko65; it is a huge ripoff.

It's also misleading to say that o-ring mount is specifically better sounding. It's all preference and there are a lot of factors. A lot of people in the hobby have shifted away from wanting deep sounding, muted boards to higher pitched, crisper sounding ones, and o-ring mount tends to bring that higher pitched sound out, depending on the implementation. But it also depends on the stiffness of the o-ring, how much room is in the case for vibrations, what the materials are, etc.

I've built two Unikorns and I don't think they are particularly special sounding boards - you can get nearly the same thing out of a cheap o-ring mounted Tofu for 1/10th the price. Unikorns are "endgame" for some people because of the SingaKBD brand value, not because it's a particularly special sounding or interestingly designed board.

The Freebird TKL is an amazing value for what you get though.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Also you failed to include a value recommendation for 75%, the correct and holy format

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Here’s the other Souls-inspired keycap set - GMK Cinder:

https://mechsandco.com/products/gb-gmk-cinder

Personally, I like this set better, but GMK isn’t my favorite, and the wait times for GMK are just insane right now. Q4 2023?!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Nondescript Van posted:

Zoom65 seems not great from early reviews. Check out this korean one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isE3RFyJpDQ&t=422s

The switches on the plate collide with the screws on the body of the base and can cause the switches themselves to pop off. That's such a huge design flaw.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Is the moonlander/ergodox the go-to ergo split keyboard still? Or is there something else I should look at? Basically I want max ergonomics while still having nice keyswitches.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Any split board is an ergo board, but if you want Ortho and thumb clusters and poo poo then people seem pretty happy with the new Iris

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been using a Das Keyboard with blues for 10+ years. It's been great and still works fine, though I need to clean it because it's LOADED with cat hair again. However, the only thing I don't like about it is the gloss finish.

Things I do like about the Das:
  • Blank keycaps
  • Hefty and nice build quality
  • 100% layout with numpad
  • No weird buttons, knobs, etc
  • Minimalist design, no RGB, etc

Things I don't like about the Das:
  • Gloss finish
  • Built in USB hub & the stupid Y cable

I got a Leopold FC660M w/ blues for gaming since I don't need the numpad for that and opt for extra mouse space. It's been great, really nice quality and it's got some heft to it. Got a Keychron C2 w/ browns for the office, which I've been liking but the heft/build quality factor isn't quite like the Das or Leopold. I haven't had much time with the Keychron though since I mainly WFH using the Das.

Any suggestions for what I might consider replacing the Das with? Ideally something that's just OOTB exactly like I'd want it, without having to mess with the keycaps and poo poo myself, because I'm a lazy SOB. Though if that's gonna be the way to have more flexibility to get blank keycaps, I'd be willing.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 9, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mode sonnet looks nice…..

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

foutre posted:

Is the moonlander/ergodox the go-to ergo split keyboard still? Or is there something else I should look at? Basically I want max ergonomics while still having nice keyswitches.

check my posts in the thread for lots of thoughts on the moonlander. It's overall a really good board but the thumb buttons aren't the best. If you wanna make heavy use of those (you should), might be worth looking at another board. I've got my eyes on the sofle v2 but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If you like lots of keys it's nice though. Really easy to have dedicated keys for whatever you want without having to go all-in on layers.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Assembled my Bobas today and damaged the tactile leaf on more than a few of the switch bases. Gazzew was generous with extras vs what I ordered because he seems to be a cool dude, but I was still left with one key on the board that had to use one of the damaged switches. It works fine but the feel is almost linear after my partner and I tried to bend the leaf back into its precise little shape.

I don't want to bother the Great Gazzew for a few more bases when his stated minimum order quantity is 100 and he already let me get away with one order below that. So I'm thinking about buying a ten pack of clear RGB no-slots next time they pop up somewhere and just swapping the springs. How hard is it to pop these things back open to modify/salvage, and what tools do I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Assembled my Bobas today and damaged the tactile leaf on more than a few of the switch bases. Gazzew was generous with extras vs what I ordered because he seems to be a cool dude, but I was still left with one key on the board that had to use one of the damaged switches. It works fine but the feel is almost linear after my partner and I tried to bend the leaf back into its precise little shape.

I don't want to bother the Great Gazzew for a few more bases when his stated minimum order quantity is 100 and he already let me get away with one order below that. So I'm thinking about buying a ten pack of clear RGB no-slots next time they pop up somewhere and just swapping the springs. How hard is it to pop these things back open to modify/salvage, and what tools do I need?

A switch opener is ideal. Incase you haven’t seen/read, as you’ve found out the leafs on those are delicate and there is a specific technique to ensuring you don’t damage them when closing the switch up: compress the stem/spring before snapping the top down.