Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

codo27 posted:

Management has requested some sort of paging/alarm system where if they need to reach someone in a particular facility, they'll drat well sure know it. Management is off site and if they try and reach the facility manager and cant, they want to be able to send some sort of signal so that someone responds ASAP. Whats the best way to go about this?

Steam whistle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

codo27 posted:

We dont currently have a phone system there, only cell phones.

Just text them then

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

codo27 posted:

We dont currently have a phone system there, only cell phones.

Teams?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...#ID0EBBD=Mobile

Obviously not suitable for any sort of life-critical alerting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That spaghetti graphic badly needs layers like a 3d chess board so it can just go and go and go...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Teams?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...#ID0EBBD=Mobile

Obviously not suitable for any sort of life-critical alerting.

I loving hate paging systems, so this is also my answer.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kudos to this one place I'm interviewing today on making some token progress toward their interviews not being awful. They use coderpad, but they give you access to it ahead of time so you can write the code beforehand without someone watching you and judging you on your stupid brain farts (e.g. I initialized a tracker variable because their design has these attributes being lists instead of much more efficient key-value pairs for lookup....never once updated it and wondered why my function was returning None). Every time I have to do one of those I have the full solution within minutes and the entire time is spent troubleshooting a dumb mistake I made.

It's still insultingly simple for a staff level dev position, in my opinion anyway. The code they had me modify is atrocious, so I wonder if the real test is to see if I'll speak up and suggest overhauls for their data models so the methods I had to implement don't need all these loops over lists; I annotated the code with TODO comments suggesting these refactors.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's still insultingly simple for a staff level dev position, in my opinion anyway. The code they had me modify is atrocious, so I wonder if the real test is to see if I'll speak up and suggest overhauls for their data models so the methods I had to implement don't need all these loops over lists; I annotated the code with TODO comments suggesting these refactors.

Our take home coding challenge is the same for all levels and is literally: "write something that generates an md5 hash of the content of a web address"

The point is to generate conversation during the interview, not force the interviewee to do a bunch of busywork.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

Our take home coding challenge is the same for all levels and is literally: "write something that generates an md5 hash of the content of a web address"

The point is to generate conversation during the interview, not force the interviewee to do a bunch of busywork.

I like that. It’s simple enough to get done quickly and you can go as crazy with it if you want to (dockerize it, deploy with a ci/cd pipeline, run test suits on it, etc).

Also shows if you care for properly structuring your code or are one of those monsters who uses a bash “oneliner” (which is actually 12 commands piped into eachother) to do this.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This has been asked 1000 times but things change over the months and years, any tutorials people like to prepare for coding exercises such as that one? Leetcode, acloudguru, pluralsight are all options right, any others that are valuable?

My GitHub is also still extremely sparse with basically nothing on it, so I need that for project ideas too. Otherwise I’ll be stuck at my same gig with a big gap in competitiveness vs. other candidates.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

I like that. It’s simple enough to get done quickly and you can go as crazy with it if you want to (dockerize it, deploy with a ci/cd pipeline, run test suits on it, etc).

Also shows if you care for properly structuring your code or are one of those monsters who uses a bash “oneliner” (which is actually 12 commands piped into eachother) to do this.

My goto followup question for this is "how would you integrate this into a pipeline that needs to know if a websites content has changed between runs"

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Ugh, why do dilemmas have to be so blah.

I'm going to bounce from this company because their pay is total trash. Before Covid, when we were still required in office, they could kind of get away with it. Now, however, with the number of fully remote jobs, we can't even compete anymore. I actually really enjoy working here, still growing and learning tons, and enjoy and respect most of my coworkers. The job is really laid back, if I need to go to get kids, I can go, etc. Benefits are pretty good for the area, not a lot of extras though.

However, I never realized just how loving far behind we are. Most places I look around for a standard engineer is around 105k, and I'm barely over 70k as a "senior" level. I was almost about to feel bad for the company (I still do for the other guys who work there. One is about to retire in a few years, the other still likes working 12 hours days for reasons). We just lost one guy who is worth a poo poo (He leaves friday). We have 2 that just don't work, but our boss is TOO laid back on them. The other two are just overworked in general (Mostly because we can't get loving people in the place to fill roles). I just had an offer from a LinkedIn recruiter starting at 115k FT 100% remote. I was having a dilemma but it's kind of gone now.

So that brings up a question, what do you guys do for 100% remote jobs out of state, especially in terms of benefits? Do you try to negotiate more money to buy your own plan that is semi-local? I can get on my wife's but I'm kind of wanting to get her to get a new job as well. Should I move this to BFC?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

So that brings up a question, what do you guys do for 100% remote jobs out of state, especially in terms of benefits? Do you try to negotiate more money to buy your own plan that is semi-local? I can get on my wife's but I'm kind of wanting to get her to get a new job as well. Should I move this to BFC?

Any company that is hiring remote has already figured it out.

Either they have a benefits package that works, or an alternative compensation package that they can offer.

I live in Alaska and work for a company in Missouri, and had no issues.

I did negotiate a higher base salary because the health insurance package was objectively worse.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inner Light posted:

This has been asked 1000 times but things change over the months and years, any tutorials people like to prepare for coding exercises such as that one? Leetcode, acloudguru, pluralsight are all options right, any others that are valuable?

My GitHub is also still extremely sparse with basically nothing on it, so I need that for project ideas too. Otherwise I’ll be stuck at my same gig with a big gap in competitiveness vs. other candidates.

What kind of work are you doing now and what kind are you looking for? Because it affects what you see in interviews significantly.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gothmog1065 posted:

Most decent sized employers have health plans with the national networks. One place was Blue Cross of Illinois, but I had zero issues finding in network doctors in Texas. I've had Aetna, Humana, BCBS, Cigna, and I've never had an issue at all. The only thing I can think of is if you're in California and want to get a Kaiser plan but your company is out of state and doesn't have a ton of California employees.

Negotiating more money in lieu of benefits usually doesn't work, because there's nothing stopping you from participating in the next open enrollment. Now Mr. The Fool negotiated additional money because the benefits were not as good, but that's different.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Please don’t post deprecated content.

There’s a v10 of it already!

Holy poo poo you're right

.....it looks exactly the same to me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They lost the visio file for it so they've had an intern photoshop a new version number in every year or so.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Fool posted:

What kind of work are you doing now and what kind are you looking for? Because it affects what you see in interviews significantly.

I am largely on the DevOps side of the fence now working heavily in Azure and with app architecture, but would like to learn the dev / hardcore coding side more so I can Walk The Walk instead of being more of an implementation monkey. Thinking a basic Javascript / Python / Java project with Apache, a token load balancer, something like that. And since I'm a DevOps person maybe Jenkins or Azure DevOps hook-in for continuous deployment with automated testing. It feels dumb to build out a lot of this for a little Hello World project but I have to start somewhere.

Basically, I am one of those people that is assumed to code decently well so I am not asked hard code level questions today, but the minute I try to put feelers out professionally my knowledge / experience is going to be tested lots more than it is day-to-day right now, and they are going to want to look at a GitHub with ideally more than just Hello World on it. At least at the levels that I would want to be applying to.

There are a lot of people faking it til they make it in this industry (not saying there is no value to faking it in some contexts), and at higher levels it is getting noticed by executives and management. I want to be able to pass that smoke test as someone that actually knows what they're doing to progress in my career.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 7, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I missed my stop at Context Driven Testing and didn't realize it until SAFe Patterns. :smith:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

It’s like an adult version of “spot the differences”.

So far I found:

- Pairing added to extreme programming
- Visual change to cumulative flow diagram

The realization that I know more of these phrases than I care to admit stings more than a bit.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I know most of what’s on there but it makes the whole thing even more incomprehensible

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love the honesty of leadership and management being completely disconnected from the actual work being done.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's especially wild because (at least for the area I'm familiar with, Scaled Agile Framework), it's just throwing a bunch of buzzwords and drawing a line between them. It's just meaningless nonsense, but it sure LOOKS impressive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

I know most of what’s on there but it makes the whole thing even more incomprehensible

If your acceptance criteria doesn't immedately lead to refactoring, you're probably not working with Deloitte.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Check out this thread in CoC:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083

It's generally people trying to break in to dev from outside, but there's lots of good posters that will have good advice that will apply to your situation as well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also, Cracking the Coding Interview has been universally recommended for a long time if you just want to brush up on some algo trivia

If you want some project ideas check out FreeCodeCamp's projects, most of their stuff is targeted at web dev but you can go a long way with a github repo with a couple of "one-click deploy" projects in it

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

There is actually one more stage called Event Horizon. They made a movie about it and everything.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Hughmoris posted:

There is actually one more stage called Event Horizon. They made a movie about it and everything.

Where we're going we won't need feasibility assessments to see!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Having been through enough acquisitions, this is triggering me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do I dare request a firewall exception so I can connect to Libera Chat?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Two hours in at job: I plugged in a printer. Awaiting new work order.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dandywalken posted:

Two hours in at job: I plugged in a printer. Awaiting new work order.

One small step for man, one giant step for printer hatred.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
What is the current go-to router (and perhaps a wireless extender) for home wireless networking?

A vacation rental property of ours has just been renovated and I'll be purchasing a new router for it. The problem is that the outside cable box is at one end of the house (on the end of the house with the kitchen and living area) while the bedrooms are at the opposite end, so I'm concerned that a typical router might not have the coverage nor strength required to pass through 1-3 interior (drywall) walls to get to the back bedroom.

And since it's a rental, this has to be a simple design so the fewer extenders the better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do you feel about Meraki Go?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its not a wireless extender you want, its a wireless access point. I used to run an Archer C7 which came highly recommended here for its price class. I cant overstate how satisfied I am since ditching it in favor of a Ubiquiti ER-X and Wifi 6 Lite access point. I dont think our wifi has gone down a single time that wasn't an ISP outage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably you can get these cheap through the company store, in which case a pack of two will probably do what you need

https://eero.com/shop/eero-pro-6

You might also be able to twist someone's arm to count as a pro installer which then gives you remote access to the boxes for troubleshooting:

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000053626-Remote-Network-Management-RNM-for-Custom-Installers

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 8, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Depending on wiring, but I've had pretty decent luck with those Powerline ethernet adapters. Provided the wiring isn't a total mess. At least for extending a run for another AP.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

eero's are good set it and forget it things, set a trio of them up at my parents house and have not had to gently caress with it once.

We did run cat6 to each device that wasn't near the modem.

Honestly since you have a few walls, I'd highly recommend a run to centralize the wireless device (whether router with wifi built in, or separate WAP) because it's so easy to have issues, 5Ghz won't penetrate through all those walls well so people will be connecting to 2.4ghz and then complaints and blah blah.

It will likely be easier to grab 2-3 eeros, plop one at the modem then strategically through the house, I think they can connect all wirelessly to mesh or you can run a cable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'll second the ubiquiti recommendation but yeah access points are the way to go if you're not completely allergic to running cat6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I had the worst interview of my career yesterday, I think. From the moment this dude opened his mouth it was clear I had no chance and he thought having to talk to me was a colossal inconvenience. Like I tried being friendly and starting a conversation and he cut me off to just flatly read the first question he was clearly reciting off of a list. He ran through that list of 4-5 questions, then we dove into a pointlessly short coding question. The interview was scheduled to take an hour, he rushed through it in 20 minutes and as soon as I said, "No I don't have any more questions for you right now," and started to thank him he cut me off with a clipped, "Thank you for your time, if there are next steps you'll hear about them shortly," and disconnected.

I was already going to pull my application based on that experience, so I'm honestly ok with that outcome (I'd also asked about the size of the team, since I'd interviewed a few years back and they've been almost continually hiring since....he said 30 engineers, no change in size, so obviously they aren't hiring to expand but have near-constant turnover).

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 8, 2022