Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's lots of spots I wish I had hung out and poked around at for a bit longer. Like the little cave with Ranni's body and the dead two fingers. Shoulda looked at that a bit more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPd9q6PyY/

Ugh how do I embed tiktoks

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

SHISHKABOB posted:

Maybe Miriel was born after Godfrey became Elden Lord and doesn't really know any better.

Yes that's right, you're all now imagining baby Miriel.

Also a neat thing I noticed during the Vaati video is that the tail whip crucible art looks very similar to the tail that the Godskin Noble has. I think Noble even does a tail whip attack?? Not sure. Also the big frog fire belch move reminds me of the one Serpent man who seems to be wearing a big fake bulbous head in Volcano Manor. Maybe he's emulating this ancient frog behavior as some kind of religious symbolism...

I think Snake Wizard with Big Head is still partway in his egg. Credit to random stream viewer for pointing that out.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Any recommendations for which order to do late game stuff in? I've lit the thing on fire so there's Farum Azula, but some stuff there is kicking the poo poo out of me and dragon fights are super annoying. So I decided to mess around with some other areas. Cleared out Darkroot Depths, which I felt a little overpowered for. I have Consecrated Snowfield and have gone all the way to the spooky magic town, and that puzzle seems like a pain in the rear end. I decided to teleport using the thing I got from Velke and that place does not seem to gently caress around. Are there any big areas I might have missed to go check out? I still haven't found the Haligtree, I know somehow I need to get there from Consecrated Snowfield.

Just looking for general tips to make the late game less painful. I really miss the sense of exploration and wonder the first half of the game gives you, mostly because the feeling of "oh a neat thing in the distance, I should check that out" has been supplanted by "oh I can't see poo poo and every direction I go has some new horrible thing that's going to wreck my poo poo."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBzelJ70lCM

some evidence here that From was really enthusiastic about Ulcerated Tree Spirit for a reason

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Professor Beetus posted:

Any recommendations for which order to do late game stuff in? I've lit the thing on fire so there's Farum Azula, but some stuff there is kicking the poo poo out of me and dragon fights are super annoying. So I decided to mess around with some other areas. Cleared out Darkroot Depths, which I felt a little overpowered for. I have Consecrated Snowfield and have gone all the way to the spooky magic town, and that puzzle seems like a pain in the rear end. I decided to teleport using the thing I got from Velke and that place does not seem to gently caress around. Are there any big areas I might have missed to go check out? I still haven't found the Haligtree, I know somehow I need to get there from Consecrated Snowfield.

Just looking for general tips to make the late game less painful. I really miss the sense of exploration and wonder the first half of the game gives you, mostly because the feeling of "oh a neat thing in the distance, I should check that out" has been supplanted by "oh I can't see poo poo and every direction I go has some new horrible thing that's going to wreck my poo poo."

You can safely clear Limgrave to Mountaintop, and all of the underground right now.

Then do Farum Azula. Then Snowfield. Then Haligtree. Then boss rush.

You're also in for a visual treat soon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where do I get that thing I need to get into that place after Godrick?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Oxxidation posted:

some evidence here that From was really enthusiastic about Ulcerated Tree Spirit for a reason

The other evidence being that you fight it 27 times!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Anime Liker posted:

yeah, just turn off your monitor :biglips:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

do you mean raya lucaria academy? search near the southern entryway with the big glyph for a body with an item on it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Que?

You mean the divine tower for his rune?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Anime Liker posted:

You can safely clear Limgrave to Mountaintop, and all of the underground right now.

Then do Farum Azula. Then Snowfield. Then Haligtree. Then boss rush.

Limgrave, Liurnia, Caelid, Mt. Gelmir, and Altus are all cleared. Interesting to see Farum Azula before Snowfield given how difficult each has felt to me, but guess I will grit my teeth and go back.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
both Farum and Haligtree are essentially legacy dungeons. there aren't any open vistas left. imo, Haligtree enemies are harder but either one is fine.

this is assuming you're talking about Haligtree proper and not "path to the Haligtree" which might have some of the exploration you're after.

my final tip is to leave the final boss of Farum last because he covers your screen in an annoying filter in outdoor areas. Haligtree final boss is probably the hardest though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oxxidation posted:

I don't enjoy fighting these things, but I always like a character design that's like "I can't tell exactly what this thing's face is, or even if it has one"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

do you mean raya lucaria academy? search near the southern entryway with the big glyph for a body with an item on it

Oh. Liurnia.

The Academy is sealed.

There's a teleporter on the long broken bridge to it, or you can fight and/or run through the gate town.

Both entrances need a key.

The key is on a corpse you can access after killing the dragon in the lake immediately west of the academy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

crepeface posted:

both Farum and Haligtree are essentially legacy dungeons. there aren't any open vistas left. imo, Haligtree enemies are harder but either one is fine.

this is assuming you're talking about Haligtree proper and not "path to the Haligtree" which might have some of the exploration you're after.

my final tip is to leave the final boss of Farum last because he covers your screen in an annoying filter in outdoor areas. Haligtree final boss is probably the hardest though.

I haven't found the actual Haligtree. I found "path to the Haligtree" and the Snowfield but that was what I meant by "I can't see poo poo to explore and everything wants to brutally murder." I think it would be a cool and fun area to explore if it wasn't for the stupid fog gimmick.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Professor Beetus posted:

Limgrave, Liurnia, Caelid, Mt. Gelmir, and Altus are all cleared. Interesting to see Farum Azula before Snowfield given how difficult each has felt to me, but guess I will grit my teeth and go back.

It's kind of a playstyle thing. You can run through FA without taking damage, or get smashed into paste by exploring.

Snowfield is big and desolate and feels safe because of it, but there's some absolutely insane enemies hidden throughout, including something you definitely wouldn't expect.

As for the puzzle to get through the Ordinia town, there's a special torch that reveals invisible enemies and makes that area a trillion percent easier.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Professor Beetus posted:

I haven't found the actual Haligtree. I found "path to the Haligtree" and the Snowfield but that was what I meant by "I can't see poo poo to explore and everything wants to brutally murder." I think it would be a cool and fun area to explore if it wasn't for the stupid fog gimmick.

Just keep going north. Follow the lights, that's what I did. I forget what told me to follow the lights, but it was something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Anime Liker posted:

Oh. Liurnia.

The Academy is sealed.

There's a teleporter on the long broken bridge to it, or you can fight and/or run through the gate town.

Both entrances need a key.

The key is on a corpse you can access after killing the dragon in the lake immediately west of the academy.

You can also just dash in and grab the key if you don't feel like fighting a dragon today.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Professor Beetus posted:

oh yeah, do snowfield first, the fog doesn't cover the whole zone. I recommend getting on your horse and following the lights and running away from everything until you find a grace (or use the item that points you to graces)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

that torch tanked my fps, but i'm playing on a potato. still better than doing without though

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

(or use the item that points you to graces)

is that... what grace mimics do...?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

One thing I never noticed for some reason is that Godfrey's axe during the penultimate boss fight is a broken version of the one he wields as the golden phantom fight.

Also, I think it's kind of weird that Miriel makes note of Radagon being a "mere champion", when like... what was Hoarah Loux before he became Elden Lord?

Well that’s the thing, nobody knows, right? Hoarah Loux the tarnished badland chieftain is a known quantity, but nobody seems to make any connection between him and Godfrey until he comes out and tells you. Even though the resemblance is seemingly pretty obvious.

Remember, Godfrey was literally around since ages ago. War with the giants is the beginning of the Age of the Erdtree = recorded history, and that was the beginning of the end of Godfrey’s reign. Given that Godfrey lived during the age of the crucible, when weird deformities and animalistic features were thought to be evidence of a connection to the divine, I wonder if the original Hoarah Loux wasn’t even more hosed up than the version we see. All the info we get about Godfrey implies that he took on Serosh as a councilor, like they’re originally two unrelated entities, but i kind of wonder if it wasn’t originally the other way around. Like Serosh was a part of Godfrey that had to be given a separate name and shape in order for him to be noble patriarch Godfrey, as opposed to the brutal Hoarah Loux.

Random item description that inspired this musing:

quote:

Ruler’s Mask

Mask in the image of a wizened sage.
Customary dress among lords in a smaller nation.
Increases faith.

Such a mask illustrates the qualities of an ideal lord: chiefly, wise and possessing a certain defanged geniality.
One at the center of society often finds these qualities most expedient.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 9, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

is that... what grace mimics do...?

No lol, they literally point you in a random direction.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I've finally hit that point. The same point I hit in DS III. About 80 hours in and I'm just dreading the boss slog to the end. I've completed just about everything I care to complete, and now it's just Malekith and..bosses...and more bosses...

Any thoughts on the easiest and cheesiest way to finish the game? I honestly don't want to spend 10 more hours learning a few bosses. That's what the second play through would be for. I just want to effing finish and run away with my moon lady.

Blasphemous Blade and Mimic Tear. It's insanely strong and heals with every hit. Beat Malenia by cheesing it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Probably dumb question about the sentry torch: do you need to meet the Faith requirement for it to do its thing or is that just for it's L2 attack?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Well that’s the thing, nobody knows, right? Hoarah Loux the tarnished badland chieftain is a known quantity, but nobody seems to make any connection between him and Godfrey until he comes out and tells you. Even though the resemblance is seemingly pretty obvious.

Remember, Godfrey was literally around since ages ago. War with the giants is the beginning of the Age of the Erdtree = recorded history, and that was the beginning of the end of Godfrey’s reign. Given that Godfrey lived during the age of the crucible, when weird deformities and animalistic features were thought to be evidence of a connection to the divine, I wonder if the original Hoarah Loux wasn’t even more hosed up than the version we see. All the info we get about Godfrey implies that he took on Serosh as a councilor, like they’re originally two unrelated entities, but i kind of wonder if it wasn’t originally the other way around. Like Serosh was a part of Godfrey that had to be given a separate name and shape in order for him to be noble patriarch Godfrey, as opposed to the brutal Hoarah Loux.

Puts an interesting spin on "regent" that I can't quite wrap my head around yet.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

In Carina Study Hall whats the deal with the elevator and arrows? I’m in the raptors staring at the inverted elevator with messages saying to use now, but shooting the pressure pad does nothing. Am I being trolled by the messages, or am I aiming at the wrong place. I did do the inverted study hall first, so I’m not sure if that changes anything.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 9, 2022

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

a kitten posted:

Probably dumb question about the sentry torch: do you need to meet the Faith requirement for it to do its thing or is that just for it's L2 attack?

No and you can just twohand your weapon leaving the torch on your back. Still works

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

emdash posted:

No and you can just twohand your weapon leaving the torch on your back. Still works

Excellent, thank you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can you only give scrolls and prayer books to one teacher?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Can you only give scrolls and prayer books to one teacher?

Depends what exactly you mean. Multiple teachers will take the same scroll/prayer book. They won’t all take every individual book, though Miriel will take (almost?) anything, sorcery or incantation. But once you give a scroll, it’s committed, you can’t take it back and give to another teacher.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I keep not interfering when I invade people fighting the rot dragon in southern caelid

so many of these co-op groups are just getting owned repeatedly :negative:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

In Carina Study Hall whats the deal with the elevator and arrows? I’m in the raptors staring at the inverted elevator with messages saying to use now, but shooting the pressure pad does nothing. Am I being trolled by the messages, or am I aiming at the wrong place. I did do the inverted study hall first, so I’m not sure if that changes anything.

button only works when it's flipped, messages are trolling

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Thundercracker posted:

Blasphemous Blade and Mimic Tear. It's insanely strong and heals with every hit. Beat Malenia by cheesing it.

That's what I'm rocking now, and it has been GREAT. But I'm worried the ultimate is a bit too slow for some of these final bosses. Malekith in particular, but I really only tried a few times before I just kind of meh'ed out of there. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I'm saving Malenia for the last possible moment... (please tell me I can try Malenia after I beat the game)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo these archers might be the worst From has ever created. Homing arrows that let them loving Wanted bullet curve me around corners and ledges, insane amounts of damage per shot, multiple shots, crazy firing rate, and on top of that they're the only enemies in this thing that respawn? What the actual gently caress lmao

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

IronicDongz posted:

I keep not interfering when I invade people fighting the rot dragon in southern caelid

so many of these co-op groups are just getting owned repeatedly :negative:

Do you still get the credit? If so, lol. What a great place to sit and watch.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
This is the first fromsoft game I've managed to beat without cheating, anybody that whines about there being cool stuff in the game is a lizard

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I started the game going towards an Arcane/Dex build, and now that I'm at the endgame, I ended up with an Arcane/Faith character.

Dragon Magic's just too loving cool man, and I normally don't care a lick about dragons in my fantasy. The breath spells are just too fun, and being able to get cool dragon eyes was a great touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.

crepeface posted:

that button sequence is muscle memory for when i miss a jump so i don't lose 2000000 souls

also right stick click will bookmark graces that'll you go back to all the time (like boc's location)

yeah i just started and despite only having ~30 in my main damage stat, enemy HP doesn't seem to have scaled well. what level are you btw? i've got 2,000,000 souls sitting around doing nothing but i'm glad i didn't level more because i already feel overpowered.

also mimic tear with the moghwyn's spear is hilarious with you both using the L2 nihil special. wonder what'd it be like with 3 players all spamming it.

I basically want for nothing, I must be above lvl 180. 60 Vigor, 35 Mind, 40 End, minimum Dex and Str for all whips, 25 Faith for Golden Vow, 50 Arcane.

61 poise, a huge stamina pool, and talismans for healing and damage on successive attacks plus the hood and talisman for damage on bleed.

Vow after my Mimic is ready and go nuts. Completely vaporizes bosses, even without blood.