Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA1wB9uLG_Y

quote:

Try not to think so much about
The truly staggering amount of oil that it takes to make a record
All the shipping, the vinyl, the cellophane lining
The high gloss
The tape and the gear

Try not to become too consumed
With what's a criminal volume of oil that it takes to paint a portrait
The acrylic, the varnish
Aluminum tubes filled with latex
The solvents and dye

Let's just call this what it is
The gentle side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose

Try not to dwell so much upon
How it won't be so very long from now that they laugh at us for selling
A bunch of 15 year olds made from dinosaur bones singing "oh yeah"
Again and again
Right up to the end

Let's just call this what it is
The gentle side of mankind's death wish
When it's my time to go
Gonna leave behind things that won't decompose

I'll just call this what it is
My vanity gone wild with my crisis
One day this all will repeat
I sure hope they make something useful out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Crazypoops posted:

my wife subbed for a highschool english class and the teacher left an assignment to write what your dreams for the future are. They all laughed when she announced it to the class. She powered through and gave some examples like having kids and a family or being successful and they were like "lol the kids are hosed" loving highschool students. LMAO NOT A GOOD SIGN FOLKS

the two careers available to today's high school student are doomer and crypto influencer

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Egg Moron posted:

the two careers available to today's high school student are doomer (absurdist) and doomer (accelerationist)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cloks posted:

instead of being a depressed weenie about this bio-crap, you could take action like the Coca-Cola company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRadzzvQNY

just a thought

This is such dumb bullshit lol

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007
Can't wait for the "Coca-Cola company and Mike Rowe demystify labor unions(and why they're bad)".

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

endlessmonotony posted:

And that is not pure guessing how?

We understand neither gravity nor dark energy enough to make those statements.

At this point it seems uncertain if we ever will.

Matter is horny, it wants to get together. Gravity is the vanilla stuff. Dark matter, well...

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Apr 9, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

TehSaurus posted:

Not gonna lie I got pretty high between this post and your last post but I'm confident I'm still gonna think this is awesome later.

When I was in like, high school chemistry or physics, I thought that they'd eventually discover that heat had mass and so that once everything homogenized to the thermal background or whatever it would coalesce into a supermassive black hole causing another big bang and the cycle would start over again. Is that as dumb as I expect it to be?

God, this is the part that kills me. We'll never uncover the secrets of the universe. So many wonders to never be discovered. I don't know why it's this and not the mountains of bodies, but there it is I guess.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk!

after the horrors we will uncover on this one tiny planet, why would anyone want to pull back the curtain on the rest of the universe lol

Stereotype posted:

the purpose of life is to increase entropy, and we are doing a great job by burning everything we can find. we are just the final stage of the very long and very complex reaction chain for solar photons, transforming them from short wavelength optical to long wavelength infrared and increasing total entropy in the process. sure we humans pretend that we decrease entropy; sorting things and ordering information randomness to become patterns like books and computers; but that's just a accidental reaction product. once humans are done burning all the hydroxylated carbon dioxide we can find we will vanish, our purpose fulfilled, as other life begins the process anew, amassing vast amounts of complex hydrocarbons that can later be burned to further increase entropy. it's all just a big complex reaction. the universe is layer upon layer upon layer of complex processes fighting to create a perfect completely stable system with maximum entropy.

quoting so I can come back to this good poo poo

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

mdemone posted:

gravity is thermodynamics, that much seems clear. the implications could be really weird (AdS-CFT) but it's more likely they are truly fundamental

This is neat, I had no idea about the gravity-thermodynamics thing. Hoping the universe gets weird with it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

TehSaurus posted:

This is neat, I had no idea about the gravity-thermodynamics thing. Hoping the universe gets weird with it.

god ultimately being frank reynolds is something i can get behind

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
then God just started blastin'

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

the purpose of life is to increase entropy, and we are doing a great job by burning everything we can find. we are just the final stage of the very long and very complex reaction chain for solar photons, transforming them from short wavelength optical to long wavelength infrared and increasing total entropy in the process. sure we humans pretend that we decrease entropy; sorting things and ordering information randomness to become patterns like books and computers; but that's just a accidental reaction product. once humans are done burning all the hydroxylated carbon dioxide we can find we will vanish, our purpose fulfilled, as other life begins the process anew, amassing vast amounts of complex hydrocarbons that can later be burned to further increase entropy. it's all just a big complex reaction. the universe is layer upon layer upon layer of complex processes fighting to create a perfect completely stable system with maximum entropy.

now you are becoming an ecological psychologist. terribly sorry. you might enjoy swenson and turvey's work like Thermodynamic Reasons for Perception-Action Cycles (on scihub) that really expands on this idea, though iirc swenson eventually became a crackpot, as is traditional for those attempting to boil the universe down to one thing. turvey is still good.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I love this song and father John misty in general

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Crazypoops posted:

my wife subbed for a highschool english class and the teacher left an assignment to write what your dreams for the future are. They all laughed when she announced it to the class. She powered through and gave some examples like having kids and a family or being successful and they were like "lol the kids are hosed" loving highschool students. LMAO NOT A GOOD SIGN FOLKS
I'm closer to 40 than 30 now and I'm pissed at what they did to my future, I can't imagine what an 18 year old is thinking, especially if they wanted kids someday. Good idea for an article or documentary, finding out what the kids think about their dead future

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

Gotta get this poo poo straightened out by 2025 according to IPCC, and that doesn't even include their likely underestimating the warming effects of methane. Which means we're probably already in the death spiral.

I'm sure it's fine that the "12 years to the point of no return" accelerated 7 years forward from 2032 in just two years. At this rate by 2032 we will realize the point of no return was 1995.

Mission accomplished everyone. Carbon* Neutral** by*** 2050****.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

if anyone's feeling worried about the future should have a look at this. its all good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9s8iFyPuQ

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Lots more amphibian offspring

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

TehSaurus posted:

Not gonna lie I got pretty high between this post and your last post but I'm confident I'm still gonna think this is awesome later.

When I was in like, high school chemistry or physics, I thought that they'd eventually discover that heat had mass and so that once everything homogenized to the thermal background or whatever it would coalesce into a supermassive black hole causing another big bang and the cycle would start over again. Is that as dumb as I expect it to be?

God, this is the part that kills me. We'll never uncover the secrets of the universe. So many wonders to never be discovered. I don't know why it's this and not the mountains of bodies, but there it is I guess.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
what owns is the amount of time the universe is theorized to not only have light, but anything in it at all, is an infantesimal fraction of how much time there will just be nothing

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

IAMKOREA posted:

This is where the pallatiative care analogy comes in. You take Grandma off her treatment but you still go visit her and listen to her stories. Everything is completely and utterly hosed, capitalism won, but you should still have a garden and go on hikes and have a beehive and make habitats for critters and just be present for all of those things. Or become an urban planner or build wind mills (lol) or quit your oil and gas job (me) etc...

But only if you want to

Its your apocalypse and if you want to spend it jerking off and watching mst3k repeats, go for it

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Shima Honnou posted:

what owns is the amount of time the universe is theorized to not only have light, but anything in it at all, is an infantesimal fraction of how much time there will just be nothing

we have been (and will be) dead essentially infinitely longer than we have been alive

*exhales giant cloud* makes u think

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I sit in my cubicle, here on the motherworld. When I die, they will put my body in a box and dispose of it in the cold ground. And in all the million ages to come, I will never breathe or laugh or twitch again. So won't you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity? The universe has spared us this moment.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Shima Honnou posted:

infantesimal

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Can't we find at least agree with the techno-optimists when they say we'll be eating interesting new substitutes for traditional meats in the future?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Let mankind annul ourselves

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

But only if you want to

Its your apocalypse and if you want to spend it jerking off and watching mst3k repeats, go for it

No I'm sorry just like visiting grandma is mandatory going on a hike and trying to create habitat for creatures, even if it's just a potted plant on your apartment balcony, is mandatory. Trying to actually fix things on a scale larger than one human is totally optional and should actually probably be avoided.

Also hiking and gardening is also optional too I guess but anyone depressed about climate change should do it because it absolutely will make you feel better.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1512876721309196290

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

A thousand scientists Did a Thing and were predictably ignored, and if they weren't ignored, they would be vilified. But sure, pen another $10,000 thinkpiece about how we need to buck up and humanity got this

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

i really recommend finding out a native tree species in your area that's easy to grow, ordering some seeds online and trying to sprout them. native seed banks are run by beautiful crazy people all over the world, so guaranteed there will be one that stocks just about any semi-common species that you choose. getting to know a tree the moment it's out of the egg really helps you appreciate it. and if you find out you're good at it, you'll end up with a bunch of saplings you can then plant out in the wild.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

if you're time poor, post your bioregion itt and i'll research it for you

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

if you're time poor, post your bioregion itt and i'll research it for you

constantly ravaged by wildfires

do they have asbestos trees

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fly Molo posted:

constantly ravaged by wildfires

do they have asbestos trees

Giant Sequioa are about as fireproof as trees can get

just dont plant it anywhere near a house lmao or do if you want to destroy someones house.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i really recommend finding out a native tree species in your area that's easy to grow, ordering some seeds online and trying to sprout them. native seed banks are run by beautiful crazy people all over the world, so guaranteed there will be one that stocks just about any semi-common species that you choose. getting to know a tree the moment it's out of the egg really helps you appreciate it. and if you find out you're good at it, you'll end up with a bunch of saplings you can then plant out in the wild.

I have a bunch of native trees I'd like to plant and I can collect seeds myself but how would you recommend going about sprouting and planting them? Just for instance let's say European Beech.

E: also I guess I should add, I wouldn't be planting them on my land but on deforested hillsides. Any tips for that?

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Apr 9, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm not allowed to post my bioregion on this forum any more.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

just dont plant it anywhere near a house lmao or do if you want to destroy someones house.

A plan forms....

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Let's make angiosperms omnipresent

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

kyojin posted:

Let's make angiosperms omnipresent

:sickos:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

There's one on the property next door, the original owners smuggled a couple of seedlings in after a trip to the States in the early 90s. It's doing very well. I've been wondering if it's possible to propagate cuttings.

I assume the house destruction is from the root system?

I want to plant a bunch of Western Hemlock since they seem to be drought and shade resistant but I can't get any nurseries to talk to me about buying a flat or two of seedlings - just single specimens a couple of years old in gallon pots. I might have to diy that project.

People keep talking about this biome going to a Garry Oak savannah but Garry Oaks are slow growing and aren't doing great in their native range on the south end of the island as it is. That might have more to do with developers than climate change. :thermidor:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hexigrammus posted:

There's one on the property next door, the original owners smuggled a couple of seedlings in after a trip to the States in the early 90s. It's doing very well. I've been wondering if it's possible to propagate cuttings.

I assume the house destruction is from the root system?

I want to plant a bunch of Western Hemlock since they seem to be drought and shade resistant but I can't get any nurseries to talk to me about buying a flat or two of seedlings - just single specimens a couple of years old in gallon pots. I might have to diy that project.

People keep talking about this biome going to a Garry Oak savannah but Garry Oaks are slow growing and aren't doing great in their native range on the south end of the island as it is. That might have more to do with developers than climate change. :thermidor:

lol I've got 2 massive western red cedars around my house and any time I see one of their babies sprouting where I dont really want it I carefully move them :3

From what I remember about sequioas they dont tend to root down very far - they dont form a tap root - so they spread very wide and are more prone to toppling in high wind situations.

Tree seeds usually require some kind of overwintering mimicry to sprout - so literally shove some seeds into a pot and leave it over the winter and then the next spring or spring after that you can get the saplings and put them somewhere more permanent. If you cant do that, put them in the fridge for however long to mimic the winter.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

IAMKOREA posted:

I have a bunch of native trees I'd like to plant and I can collect seeds myself but how would you recommend going about sprouting and planting them? Just for instance let's say European Beech.

E: also I guess I should add, I wouldn't be planting them on my land but on deforested hillsides. Any tips for that?

If you are going to be doing any guerilla planting on land you don't own, I recommend getting bareroot saplings that are at minimum 3-4 feet tall because that is a size where people are just like "oh this tree obviously belongs here" (also if you wear a fluorescent vest while planting trees that size, people assume you're doing it as part of a project and either ignore your or even offer to help)

Very young saplings will get stomped on by people who aren't paying attention or chopped by mowers or pulled up/sprayed by council workers/busybodies who are obsessed with "tidy" spaces, and they require minding to make sure they aren't overgrown by something else before they can become established.

Bare root trees can only really be transported in the colder months when dormant as otherwise their roots will dry out, but also check out if there are any places in your area that will give you free/discounted native saplings because there are lots of native planting projects that will bury you in all the native plants you want.

You want to ensure that wherever you plant them, they will be protected from grazing because tender young saplings are a delicacy for basically every grazing animal wild or domestic. Also before they get a decent root system established, they will be vulnerable to dying if the ground dries out too much.

If you do decide to grow them from seed, start in small pots but don't leave them too long - they don't do well if you try to put them in too big a pot too early, but they are very prone to becoming rootbound as trees like beech have very shallow but wide reaching roots moreso than deep roots, so once the roots have to grown down deeper into a pot they will struggle to grow back out again when repotted.

While growing trees from seed is a very wholesome experience to have and something I fully recommend in general, it takes a long time to get something you can plant out where you want it and where it has a decent chance of survival. Granted most of my experience comes from slow growing tress like oak, but saplings are tiny and fragile for the first few years of life.

Also just know that you will be more emotionally destroyed when the saplings you've grown from seed for 2-4 years get wrecked by carelessness or design. In 2016 the council chopped down my favourite huge oak tree that had been here decades before this area was built up for an incredibly stupid reason (someone complained it was too tall and needed to be trimmed, but the contractors hired were absolute cowboys and butchered it beyond recovery). I spent the last few years struggling to grow saplings from its acorns or transplanting rogue saplings that popped up where it had grown before they could be mowed down, and of those that grew, every last one has been destroyed by accident or idiocy. I decided to save the last for my front garden where it would be more protected, and in December I watched in horror as a delivery guy hopped over the low wall and stomped the sapling into oblivion because I guess he decided that was easier than pushing open a gate.

I love trees, and they break my heart over and over again :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hydrogen has twice the warming impact as previously believed.

TIL: H2 is not a greenhouse gas. It causes indirect warming by producing more CO2 and H20. It reacts with OH to produce water. There is then less OH to react with methane, thus reducing a methane sink.