Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
the average american uses 500 gallons of gasoline every year lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
stay safe safety trolley

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

I think the average driving is 13k miles a year, which would imply an average mpg of 26, which seems a bit high since so many people drive "light trucks"

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beached Whale posted:

Please, that's only a month's worth of morning gasoline showers.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/NormanB39802821/status/1512211275455021060?s=20&t=EAtKsNmGStdsNzxMAJVF3g

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Isn't it true that when you double the weight of a vehicle, the force or destruction it causes a paved roadway is 16 times greater? Like my Honda Civic is 2,900 pounds and the average pickup truck is 6,000 pounds, so they should be paying more in taxes to fund road reconstruction. lol we subsidize these shitheads' existence (large destructive vehicles, mcmansions in the middle of nowhere, etc.).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

remind me again how tall your average human child is

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

WaryWarren posted:

Isn't it true that when you double the weight of a vehicle, the force or destruction it causes a paved roadway is 16 times greater? Like my Honda Civic is 2,900 pounds and the average pickup truck is 6,000 pounds, so they should be paying more in taxes to fund road reconstruction. lol we subsidize these shitheads' existence (large destructive vehicles, mcmansions in the middle of nowhere, etc.).

Now think about Biden funded police with their mraps cutting asphalt when riots break out again

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

WaryWarren posted:

this is true but as a result the vast, vast majority of damage to roadways is done by transport trucks

your Honda Civic is 2,900 pounds, the average pickup is 6,000, this EV Hummer monstrosity is 9,000

but the average transport truck weighs about 35,000 pounds without weighing the cargo (since cargo weight varies really widely)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I long to be safe and warm in my metal womb

https://twitter.com/ErickLorinc/status/1512120171514585093?t=WB5JGXqVAMkXg6TUQxG56g&s=19

Ignore the copyright infringement and just marvel: stopping isn't an option

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPDvLaXuSHQ

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/M_WrenchGang/status/1512028800091054081?s=20&t=Wpi8eAcimixSVa0RA-Pj6A

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

vyelkin posted:

people need to start biking with AT mines on their backs lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

stay safe safety trolley

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

vyelkin posted:

this is true but as a result the vast, vast majority of damage to roadways is done by transport trucks

your Honda Civic is 2,900 pounds, the average pickup is 6,000, this EV Hummer monstrosity is 9,000

but the average transport truck weighs about 35,000 pounds without weighing the cargo (since cargo weight varies really widely)

Technically road damage is proportional to axle weight, so trucks aren't as bad as the gross weight would suggest due to the large number of wheels that weight is distributed over (still bad though). This actually makes the relative damage cause by something like the hummer ev to actually be a lot worse as it's placing all that weight on only 4 points.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

stay safe safety trolley

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blackhawk posted:

Technically road damage is proportional to axle weight, so trucks aren't as bad as the gross weight would suggest due to the large number of wheels that weight is distributed over (still bad though). This actually makes the relative damage cause by something like the hummer ev to actually be a lot worse as it's placing all that weight on only 4 points.

Road wear/damage is roughly proportional to axle weight to the 4th power.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

withak posted:

Road wear/damage is roughly proportional to axle weight to the 4th power.

I've heard this so many times and would love to hear an explanation of why because fourth power is some crazy poo poo that almost never happens, only other example I can think of is like black box radiation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

I've heard this so many times and would love to hear an explanation of why because fourth power is some crazy poo poo that almost never happens, only other example I can think of is like black box radiation.

It's because cars are THAT bad, makes u think

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IAMKOREA posted:

it’s not derived from first principals or anything, it’s just a rule of thumb relating magnitude of loading and some kind of measure of pavement durability or functional life.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

It was unseasonably warm that evening, but the temperature was falling fast. Less than a mile up the road lay Radtke’s husband, Bob Jervis, sick in bed with a fever.

lmao her husband has COVID and she was only a mile away from home

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7018542036722797830

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

vyelkin posted:

"What child? I didn't see a child! They must have foolishly run out before a sensible driver like me could reasonably be expected to react!" etc etc

:chloe:

Genius. Gonna do this (until I get raged against).

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

IAMKOREA posted:

Drag/resistance through a fluid medium invoking a fourth power with speed is another, and to my understanding is comparable physics to road damage - a moving vehicle creates a tiny wave in the road, a heavier vehicle produces a larger wave. The damage comes from the solid road resisting the 'liquid' action of the wave. The energy content (and thus damage) of the wave scales with both speed and vehicle mass, but we don't do high road speeds the same way we do high masses.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Apr 9, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

bedpan posted:

lmao her husband has COVID and she was only a mile away from home
Wtf didn't she just walk home when she got stuck lmao

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

walk home??? what are you some kind of car hater? No clearly the solution is to get out and push the car but drop your keys in a puddle, then crawl in feet first through the window and get stuck and almost drown in the mud while you dangle there for 6 hours

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mystes posted:

COVID brain maybe? I'd bet her husband currently has COVID and she has caught it at least once. "Leave the car for the tow truck and walk the less than 5280 feet home" might not have seemed to her to be an option.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the description of how she got stuck there is baffling. I've read it like three times now and I still don't know if I got it right. her legs were up in the truck cab, lodged behind the steering wheel, her face in the mud? what the gently caress? how does that happen

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

walk home??? what are you some kind of car hater? No clearly the solution is to get out and push the car but drop your keys in a puddle, then crawl in feet first through the window and get stuck and almost drown in the mud while you dangle there for 6 hours

she probably got hypothermia and then reached the paradoxical undressing stage/terminal burrowing stage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia#Paradoxical_undressing

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

only thing that makes sense to me is the mud was so deep she couldnt open the door, and hosed up trying to get out. but wrapped up in a sleeping bag? that sounds more like a hit

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

rural vermont dirt roads have nothing to do with car brain really. in the spring they get the same kind of mud that stalled the russian army in ukraine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The weird position she was in is not her fault because of hypothermia, and the mud was probably very bad, but she still could have just loving walked home and not doing thinking to do that shows some pretty serious car brain.

(Also wtf would you go to choir practice when your husband had covid?!)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
working today we had a guy come in and ask my boss (there's only two of us), in his opinion as a volunteer firefighter, if telephone poles were hungrier this spring than last year lol

so many people gettin COVID brained up and driving, it's great, love this stupid loving country

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yesterday I finally saw someone do the thing where they use the turn lane to cut around traffic and blow through a red light

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

God Hole posted:

the description of how she got stuck there is baffling. I've read it like three times now and I still don't know if I got it right. her legs were up in the truck cab, lodged behind the steering wheel, her face in the mud? what the gently caress? how does that happen

some Idiot Doom Spiral sht

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like after you do this to a carbrained person once they're just going to decide that in the future they should ignore all signs that there might be a person or object in from of their car and just plow forward.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

I feel like after you do this to a carbrained person once they're just going to decide that in the future they should ignore all signs that there might be a person or object in from of their car and just plow forward.

and thats when you strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

placing myself at risk of getting shot to death or run over in order to carry out such acts of rebellion as Stepping Over Imaginary Object and Placing Lentils In Valve Core