Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oh jesus, elastomania. Nostalgia bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Majin posted:

Reading that Twitter thread I’ve never seen a person that presumably has no relation to the developers stump for it so hard.

I don't know if I have ever seen someone who was so reliably Pro-Every Title as he was, very much to a fault.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dominic white's whole forum personality was a game critic with the golden rule of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think it's cool to like games. :shobon: It's why I follow his twitter.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think it's cool to like games. :shobon: It's why I follow his twitter.

Not to mention he does a lot to rep lesser known games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That dude sounds insanely boring

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's cool to like games! but i think if you want your career to be a professional games critic at some point you need to criticize something

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Someone that's actually good at his job would point out that game is huge nostalgia bait for a lot of people and thus getting lots of praise regardless of quality. It's just like how anime games always getting inflated Steam reviews because of the waifu effect.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Det_no posted:

It's just like how anime games always getting inflated Steam reviews because of the waifu effect.

There's even one in that hidden gems list somehow:

it appears to be an extremely bad shoot-em-up where an anime jpeg in the background gets less and less clothed as you damage the boss more.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a life of being paid to play games you like and talk about why you like them seems like a fun career imo. as long as it's not a youtube/twitch career

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's even one in that hidden gems list somehow:

it appears to be an extremely bad shoot-em-up where an anime jpeg in the background gets less and less clothed as you damage the boss more.

Yeah that list in general is awful. Look at number 26 for example:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1801660

I was going to link a video trailer here but you can't find one outside Steam. But 100% of reviews are positive, because that's totally normal.

It's a horrible metric to try and gauge games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sab669 posted:

I wonder how many games out there have an Overwhelmingly Positive review score with <= 10K reviews that I've never heard of before.

Probably hundreds.

https://steam250.com/hidden_gems

This site uses an algorithm similar to what you mentioned and I've found some of my favorite games that way

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Det_no posted:

I was going to link a video trailer here but you can't find one outside Steam. But 100% of reviews are positive, because that's totally normal.

none of the reviews are in english so keep that in mind.

looking at the list, i'm already aware of 6 of the top 10 games and they're all legit. actually there are pretty of legit games on the list so idk why you'd call it awful just because a couple weeb-baity games get caught in the dragnet

void rains upon her heart, cleo, elastomania, cats in time, patrick's parabox, don't escape, off-peak city, penko park, zniw adventure, the big con, ato, mixolumia, ynglet, toree 2, open sorcery, sizeable... those are all legit games in the top 25 alone

legit games from 26-50: dogs organized neatly, crystal caves hd, procession to calvary, blue revolver, what lies in the multiverse, i made a game with zombies, toem, rain on your parade, slender threads

51-75: devil spire, corinne cross' dead & breakfast, horror of salazar house, paint it back, landlord of the woods, fossil corner, vibrant venture, lifeslide
76-100: a space for the unbound, northern journey, sheepo, petal crash, squarelogic, teacup, quell, patch quest, recursed
101-150: dusk82, annalynn, solas 128, blackwell epiphany, bonfire peaks, mombo quest, voxelgram, el tango de la muerte, russian subway dogs, linelight, elechead, pixel ripped 1995, kaze & the wild masks, the vale
151-200: psycron, tametsi, scalak, haven park, the sea will claim everything, mutazione, brok the investigator, spirits abyss, qomp, don't escape 4, super ledgehop, bad company 2 vietnam (ok this one idk how it got tagged), will you snail, monolith, pureya
201-250: secret little haven, super dangerous dungeons, card hog, path of giants, secret agent hd, tetrobot, chicory, toree, horizon's gate, apple slash, spring falls, creeper world anniversary, mondealy, copy kitty, lakeview cabin 2

all that could fill out a wishlist by itself. don't expect any algorithm to be all bangers front to back but it scraped a lot of quality content and then also some weeby stuff

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 9, 2022

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

that madness game has a demo and you can easily see why anyone would put it down after like 2 minutes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

c'est fait

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sebmojo posted:

c'est fait

Thank you!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played that Madness: Project Nexus game back when it came out and refunded it. I liked the old Newgrounds games back whenever they came out and even the nostalgia wasn't enough to make the game interesting. For context, it is a literal remake of one of the Newgrounds games, and the original is still available on Newgrounds. It's the exact same one-button beat-em-up combat as the ancient Flash games that predate it. The move to 3D is pointless because at no point in what I played was it ever used to any positive effect. Bad 3d almost always looks worse than 2d. Maps were either flat plains littered with doodads or sterile empty boxes of rooms littered with doodads. You move from map to map pressing the singular attack button and watching one attack animation repeat until your weapon breaks and you pick up another one.

What I remember most fondly about the Newgrounds games was the Arena mode - you stood in one spot while enemies came in from off-screen and attacked you. You customized your character and maybe even the enemies (?) and played with fun 2d combat where you switched between ranged weapons and melee weapons and were overall fairly stylish. It was basically John Wick: The Game a decade before John Wick was a thing. This is apparently still in the retail game, but it must be unlocked later because I only remember the option of playing Story mode which is some weird nonsensical post-apocalyptic sci-fi story propped up on Newgrounds-era humor (because it's a literal remake of one of the Newgrounds games)

But the move to 3d also brought levels with way more depth than the original, which in turn makes aiming of guns much less simply stylish and more like a bad top-down shooter shoved into a melee-focused side-scrolling game. The original game let you feel stylish because of slick 2d animation and pulling off trick shots in the middle of swording some spec ops soldier's face off and in the remake it just felt like way more work than necessary to use a gun at all, it was so much easier to herd everyone up into one spot and spam punches/melee weapon attacks to stunlock them all that guns didn't feel like they were worth using. And that made the combat feel very one-dimensional.

Ironically if I had got a 1:1 remake of the old 2d flash games I would have not refunded it even if I didn't have too much fun with it because I'd be supporting the devs of cool old games. But the remake didn't feel like a cool old game, it felt like a very amateur indie title that was worse than the original, so I felt ok refunding it.

If I had to guess the review brigading is probably Newgrounds community members supporting one of their own now that they're all old enough to have money, like Goons do for each other sometimes. So good for them either way and all indie games that are functionally complete are deserving of some money imo :shrug: Just not necessarily mine.

There's a critical review of the game Dominic White loves from someone who almost only ever posts negative opinions of games to restore balance to the criticverse :tipshat:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 9, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Det_no posted:

Without being able to read them I can still tell these reviews are absolutely purchased. Look at them:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1801660/reviews/?filterLanguage=all&p=1&browsefilter=toprated

116 reviews. The vast majority of them have under 1 hour of playtime for a $5 game. 100% of them are positive. Not a single one of them has been voted as Helpful by even a single user. Most of the accounts posting reviews have fewer than 10 games in their account. Many only have this one game.

And then if you Google Translate them they are all written following the exact same formula and about 50% of them feature the line "It's like a return to Childhood."

e: Also here's the trailer (you can just right click -> copy video address in steam then paste the URL into a post and it embeds like this), which makes it obvious that it's a mobile game port (where similar purchased reviews are commonplace). It even still has the on-screen gamepad showing :kiddo:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256862019/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1638491819

The Internet loving sucks these days and this stuff is the reason why. Outside of videogames I know a handful of "influencers" who were able to kickstart their influencer "careers" by buying a bunch of paid follows/retweets/etc. eCommerce largely functions the same way - give the impression that you're a popular brand and you become a popular brand. You really can't trust any "aggregated opinions" on the internet in any fashion these days.

Steam as a platform is still cool, but Steam as a storefront has become the lovely PC Game bargain bin at OfficeMax, and it only gets worse the further you go from the front page. Sometimes you find a cool game in it but you have to dig through a mountain of shovelware to find it. Just like those old bargain bins, all the poo poo gets sifted to the top.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 9, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Counter argument, there are already basically infinity amazing games on steam and I'm willing to allow for a bunch of crap, in places I can't see unless I look for it, if it means I get slamming indie pieces of nonsense like vampire survivors?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

The Internet loving sucks these days and this stuff is the reason why. Outside of videogames I know a handful of "influencers" who were able to kickstart their influencer "careers" by buying a bunch of paid follows/retweets/etc. eCommerce largely functions the same way - give the impression that you're a popular brand and you become a popular brand. You really can't trust any "aggregated opinions" on the internet in any fashion these days.

Steam as a platform is still cool, but Steam as a storefront has become the lovely PC Game bargain bin at OfficeMax, and it only gets worse the further you go from the front page. Sometimes you find a cool game in it but you have to dig through a mountain of shovelware to find it. Just like those old bargain bins, all the poo poo gets sifted to the top.

Steam as a storefront is still 100% better as any other storefront of that size. "eCommerce" is way worse, as every site tries to sell what gains them the most money (e.g. default sorting, "recommended" etc.). You have zero options to unfuck Netflix worst UI of all times. Steam has options, and it has even quite a lot. Other stores have no options at all and you spent considerable more time in trying to unfuck their SEO to find the proper products as with searching for good games on Steam.

You absolutely cannot solve discoverability completely with products that are as different as games or movies or simply if you hit a certain amount of products, but you can try to make it suck much less and actually work in the favor of the user and Steam does exactly that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's not like a physical storefront where you have to dig for stuff, Steam's search functionality is top notch. Discoverability is a problem but that's a problem everywhere and I don't think the way other stores "solve" it through manual curation is any better.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Steam has done a lot to improve their search functionality in the last year or two. More so if you include various Steam Labs projects you can use.
Third party services like Steam250 do the rest, if you're savvy enough.

Plus there's always "buy whatever looks vaguely interesting and then refund it if it's actually not good" option that I use A LOT.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Or read these forums and pick what looks interesting

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The algorithm works really well once you've gone through about 50,000+ items on the discovery queue and hit "Ignore" on most of them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sebmojo posted:

:yeah:

My Steam Discovery Queue is this thread. Other than that I go with a lot of stuff that I already know is something I'm interested in.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Yea, and on a related note - I wanted to reiterate a big thanks to... Whoever it is who does those really long effort posts with all the interesting titles coming out in a given month

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The 7th Guest does a lot of cool effortposts about demo festivals and upcoming releases, it was probably them.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sab669 posted:

Yea, and on a related note - I wanted to reiterate a big thanks to... Whoever it is who does those really long effort posts with all the interesting titles coming out in a given month

:yeah: they always remind me of games that i was excited about but forgot about

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1097350/view/3207134029082184666

Weird West patch is out with a lot of bug fixes and QoL improvements, with several more in the pipeline to be included in the next patch coming in late April/early May. Looking at their suggestion board and quite a few features I'd hoped for are tagged by the devs for inclusion in the next patch. I played through the first character's story and really enjoyed it at times but felt definitely felt the experience was dragged down by bugs and questionable UI decisions. Seems like they're really on the right track with these improvements and I look forward to picking it up again

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

The 7th Guest does a lot of cool effortposts about demo festivals and upcoming releases, it was probably them.

You are correct

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wish there was a way to scrub fake reviews

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
7th Guest posts are cool and good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sebmojo posted:

Yeah but then you end up buying goon-darlings like Dying Light and Vanquish and think, "Oh these kinda suck..."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mordja posted:

Yeah but then you end up buying goon-darlings like Dying Light and Vanquish and think, "Oh these kinda suck..."

ok dying light sure but vanquish is dope, binary domain is cool but it’s just a good cover shooter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thanks everyone!

i just like to highlight neat games. admittedly usually games within my wheelhouse-- when it comes to 4X, RTS, racing, or fighting games, i'm totally lost

but it helps that i watch all those indie showcase events and play demos in the steam next fest. there are plenty of opportunities to see cool indie games without necessarily having to wade through Steam's general catalog pages. most of what i wishlist is through playing demos or watching trailers/gameplay footage from showcases. we'll see a few more of those in June like Day of the Devs

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished Bayonetta 1. Holy poo poo balls this game goes places. Its so loving over the top and gamey in the best way possible. It kinda reminds me of a mix Asura's Wrath + DMC + Uncharted. I'll probably do a hard playthrough because the first playthrough just felt like figuring a puzzle out since so many of the enemy designs are made in a puzzle solve way and you can't just button mash. Definitely makes me want to try anything else Kamiya has worked on.
Also I didn't realize the PC release was much later like 2017 because ya I was confused how crisp this game looked for a game from 2009.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

ok dying light sure but vanquish is dope, binary domain is cool but it’s just a good cover shooter

Binary Domain is a real fun shortish game, one of the best aspect was how you can damage specific parts of the robots and they would change completely how they fight. This was even true for the bosses and it had some fun boss fights too. It has really good pacing, kinda reminds me of Half Life 2, it has these slow periods where you talk to your partner and then it gets super intense toward the end of the levels. Definitely one of those games you can finish in 1-2 day. On hard difficulty the game kinda breaks down in boss fights but still fun. It had voice commands for your ai partners but I don't know if there is a way to make it work on PC.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 9, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Binary Domain is the best cover shooter of that gaming era that wasn't Gears of War. It's not a super high standard but when everyone started copying that aesthetic most games missed the point entirely or had nothing about them to make it unique.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shredding robots while your buddies go "WOW! DAN THE SURVIVOR!" was fun

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sebmojo posted:

Steam Trailers in 6s on Twitter is also a pro-follow if you want to find random, weird, interesting stuff. I don't think it does any curation, so there's a lot of junk, but just being able to see the name of a game and a brief flash of what it looks like is often enough for me to just keep scrolling or go "huh, that looks interesting" and click through to see what it's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ulio posted:

Just finished Bayonetta 1. Holy poo poo balls this game goes places. Its so loving over the top and gamey in the best way possible. It kinda reminds me of a mix Asura's Wrath + DMC + Uncharted. I'll probably do a hard playthrough because the first playthrough just felt like figuring a puzzle out since so many of the enemy designs are made in a puzzle solve way and you can't just button mash. Definitely makes me want to try anything else Kamiya has worked on.
Also I didn't realize the PC release was much later like 2017 because ya I was confused how crisp this game looked for a game from 2009.

Oh man that's an awesome game to get to play through for the first time, I'm happy for you. Overall I like the sequel a little better, but there are still a few things (including the feel of actual combat) that the first game does best IMO. And definitely do a hard playthrough based on what you said you enjoyed, it significantly shakes up enemy placement and it feels like a totally fresh experience.