Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Did everyone suddenly get much better about putting alt text in their pics/gifs on twitter or did Twitter invent an AI that will do it for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Badger of Basra posted:

Did everyone suddenly get much better about putting alt text in their pics/gifs on twitter or did Twitter invent an AI that will do it for you

What does that do in an era where pictures load faster than you can see the text?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

credburn posted:

What does that do in an era where pictures load faster than you can see the text?

It’s for the visually impaired.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

credburn posted:

It's an accessibility feature for folks that use screen readers

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

They added a badge signifying the image has alt text globally a couple days ago.

https://twitter.com/TwitterA11y/status/1512191972856975364

So it probably had the effect of making you more aware of images with alt text and also making more people aware that alt text is a thing leading to more usage.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

credburn posted:

It's also legally required in the EU, since every website has to be accessible to people with disabilities, including the blind.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In movies where two characters are underwater, and one blows air directly into the other's mouth (usually a man to a woman) to give them more oxygen, that's total bullshit, right?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

In movies where two characters are underwater, and one blows air directly into the other's mouth (usually a man to a woman) to give them more oxygen, that's total bullshit, right?
No, your exhalation contains a decent amount of oxygen. This is why mouth-to-mouth is done generally. I'm sure it's only done in movies because it looks like smooching though

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what Google Drive Sync is, but if you use the Google Drive app, it access the files on your Google Drive just like you can from a web browser. There's no need to synchronise anything because it's not keeping multiple copies in different places.

Which doesn't work with obsidian so you have to use a 3rd party program to get it to work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m looking for those weird early morning dance club videos that played on early morning MTV or YTV in Canada. Does anyone know what those “shows” were called?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the mtv one was called the Grind.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Human Tornada posted:

I learned to do this in my lifeguard training in the scenario where someone's got their hair stuck in something at the bottom of the pool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What about if they get their dick stuck in the bottom of a pool?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Trapick posted:

No, your exhalation contains a decent amount of oxygen. This is why mouth-to-mouth is done generally. I'm sure it's only done in movies because it looks like smooching though

for fucks sake posted:

I learned to do this in my lifeguard training in the scenario where someone's got their hair stuck in something at the bottom of the pool.

Well that settles it, Speed 2: Cruise Control is a flawless movie.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Trapick posted:

It’s worth noting that mouth-to-mouth isn’t part of CPR for adults any more

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Last time I was trained about four years ago in the US they still taught it but it wasn’t a mandatory part of the process.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I do CPR classes every two years for work, and it is definitely still part of the program, but the focus is mainly on the chest compressions.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah, but that's because it's not worth interrupting chest compressions to do it, especially for people with minimal training. I'm pretty sure it's still part of 2-person CPR instructions.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Slimy Hog posted:

It's an accessibility feature for folks that use screen readers

Ohhh...

I'm working on a degree in data analytics and one of the early courses was kind of a refresher on basic HTML, and throughout it I had to keep making a point to add alt text, but nowhere in the curriculum did it really give a reason for it. Just that it's good practice.

dupersaurus posted:

Coincidentally, I happened to ask a paramedic yesterday whether it was the chest thing we weren't supposed to do or the mouth thing. Her explanation for why we don't do it was interesting, probably not accurate, but I'll share it:

She said it's easy to remember which one not to do because it's the one nobody wants to do anyway. She said people started dying because nobody wanted to give random people CPR because they didn't want to put their mouth on a stranger's. So by saying the mouth to mouth thing isn't a thing, it's more likely people will give help to strangers, even though --according to her-- professionally trained people absolutely still do mouth to mouth.

Now I know I could also easily look this information up, but I wanted to contribute to the -- oh gently caress I didn't even realize this was the questions thread.

credburn fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 11, 2022

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Badger of Basra posted:

They seem to be A/B testing a pop up that says “Think about adding alt text to this image” when you add an image from your photos. I get it about half the time on my tablet, never on my phone. :shrug:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ever since I got a second monitor my main monitor has been acting weird. It and the second monitor turn off as a screensaver but after a while the main one turns on and just displays black until I input something to break the screensaver. Is this a known issue and how can I fix it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

El Jeffe posted:

Ever since I got a second monitor my main monitor has been acting weird. It and the second monitor turn off as a screensaver but after a while the main one turns on and just displays black until I input something to break the screensaver. Is this a known issue and how can I fix it?

Stop using a screensaver. It's 2022. You haven't had a CRT for at least a decade.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If you're a public speaker covering a controversial topic is putting a heckler in the audience who's secretly working with you "a thing"?

I feel like I've seen this a couple of times. I went to college in the southern US and we usually had random "preachers" come on campus to call us fornicators and sinners. Most people just gathered around and laughed at them. But there was always one person in the crowd who would heckle them but unlike everyone else they weren't trying to be funny. They would just shout random disagreements. They also happened to be much older and disappear as soon as the preacher was done.

The very same thing happened when I went to a "town hall" with one of my Senators. It was Lindsey Graham if that helps set the stage. There was one person sitting near the stage who was shouting at him through the whole thing but as soon as Lindsey told him to hush he would for a while and by the end of it they had somehow found some common ground and were posing for pictures. None of the stuff the heckler shouted made much sense. He wasn't mad about a particular issue or thing. He just sounded like a random crazy person. It's entirely possible he was but the fact that they "made up" near the end made me think of the preacher thing from college.

Is this some sort of know pressure relief tactic for hostile crowds? Making sure the angriest person in the room is working for you so they can work the crowd somehow?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Another reason you might be seeing more emphasis on image alt text recently is the DoJ issued a statement confirming that the Americans with disabilities act accessibility rules apply to websites too, so suddenly a lot of big websites that otherwise didn't care now have to.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-issues-web-accessibility-guidance-under-americans-disabilities-act

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nighthand posted:

Another reason you might be seeing more emphasis on image alt text recently is the DoJ issued a statement confirming that the Americans with disabilities act accessibility rules apply to websites too, so suddenly a lot of big websites that otherwise didn't care now have to.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-issues-web-accessibility-guidance-under-americans-disabilities-act

Good. :colbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

McCracAttack posted:

If you're a public speaker covering a controversial topic is putting a heckler in the audience who's secretly working with you "a thing"?

Yes, goes back at least as far as the 19th century medicine show days.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, goes back at least as far as the 19th century medicine show days.

Is there like a term for this I can read up on? It seems to go on a lot around here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Coincidentally, I happened to ask a paramedic yesterday whether it was the chest thing we weren't supposed to do or the mouth thing. Her explanation for why we don't do it was interesting, probably not accurate, but I'll share it:

She said it's easy to remember which one not to do because it's the one nobody wants to do anyway. She said people started dying because nobody wanted to give random people CPR because they didn't want to put their mouth on a stranger's. So by saying the mouth to mouth thing isn't a thing, it's more likely people will give help to strangers, even though --according to her-- professionally trained people absolutely still do mouth to mouth.

The way it was told to me when I got CPR training is basically: oxygen is useless if it's just in the lungs. It needs to be transported to the brain to keep the person from dying. That's what the chest compressions are for. And for an amateur, it's way more important that you keep doing chest compressions (which anyway will get some oxygen into the lungs so long as the airways are clear) than it is that you put more oxygen in the lungs. The risk of fumbling during mouth-to-mouth, and spending too long not getting oxygen to the brain, is too high for it to be worth it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The way it was told to me when I got CPR training is basically: oxygen is useless if it's just in the lungs. It needs to be transported to the brain to keep the person from dying. That's what the chest compressions are for. And for an amateur, it's way more important that you keep doing chest compressions (which anyway will get some oxygen into the lungs so long as the airways are clear) than it is that you put more oxygen in the lungs. The risk of fumbling during mouth-to-mouth, and spending too long not getting oxygen to the brain, is too high for it to be worth it.

Wouldn't it be useful to at least then give one good mouth-to-mouth attempt and then just do nothing but compressions thereafter?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Is there like a term for this I can read up on? It seems to go on a lot around here.

Probably audience plant. You see the same thing with magicians.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Comedians get called out for having audience plants, but politicians can do stuff like Buttigieg’s light switch gag and the media will not call it out as fake because that would be indecorous.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The media is just deathly afraid of using the word "lie" around politicians even when they blatantly are lying.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

credburn posted:

Wouldn't it be useful to at least then give one good mouth-to-mouth attempt and then just do nothing but compressions thereafter?

If you start doing CPR immediately when they go down, they'll already have that last breath of air in their lungs. If you don't start doing CPR immediately, they're probably dead anyways.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Buttigieg’s light switch gag

What is this? I can't seem to come up with anything via Google...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

credburn posted:

What is this? I can't seem to come up with anything via Google...

The lights went out at a gymnasium he was speaking in on the campaign trail in Nevada. Very mysterious.

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1231388368707182593

Context for the speech is that it’s heavily inspired by one of Obama’s stump speeches.

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1231454124316614657

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Platystemon posted:

The lights went out at a gymnasium he was speaking in on the campaign trail in Nevada. Very mysterious.

I don't really care either way, but it doesn't seem fake to me...? I'm sure there are hundreds of speeches that predate Obama's that have a progression of scale, and he didn't exactly respond to the outage with like flair. If people hadn't started turning on their phones and if someone didn't start playing a melancholic piano tune it probably would have been really bad for him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It wouldn’t have been really bad for him because he was speaking at a high school in Nevada in September of 2019.

The Obama parallels is something that you can find on Google, though.

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1232155217547784193

Why not study a winning strategy?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Stop using a screensaver. It's 2022. You haven't had a CRT for at least a decade.

Maybe screensaver is the wrong term. I just want my monitors to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity and stay off.

edit: Ok it's actually the power & sleep setting not screensaver.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 11, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is using a VPN worth it and realistically how much would it slow down my internet? Also and recs on the best one? Surfshark seems pretty well liked and is cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Worth it depends on what your goals are. Hide your private browsing data from your isp so they can't bundle it up and sell it to advertisers? Sure. Conceal your location and even appear to be from another country for websites and some online web stores? Yeah that works.

Internet speed comes in two main flavors: latency and bandwidth. A good paid vpn should not restrict your bandwidth, so things like loading websites, downloading large files, or streaming videos on youtube/netflix/etc won't be affected. But it will inevitably increase latency, so things depending on super-fast response times like online videogames will get laggier.