Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

James Webb has MIRI cooled to 6 Kelvin

To put that into perspective: that's pretty cold

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

science is cool.

for example, I spent most of this week trying to repair a strain gauge. I replaced it twice. I haven't been able to verify if the second replacement actually fixed the problem yet.

...come to think of it, this is less a reason why science is cool and more a reason why i'm drunk right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

James Webb has MIRI cooled to 6 Kelvin

To put that into perspective: that's pretty cold

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

this sounds like a pitch for an incredibly nerdy party

"dude, James Webb has MIRI and he's got this rad setup that cools it down to 6 Kelvin and it's just $10 for a cup and we can drink as much as we want! We're gonna get so wasted tonight"

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Azathoth posted:

this sounds like a pitch for an incredibly nerdy party

"dude, James Webb has MIRI and he's got this rad setup that cools it down to 6 Kelvin and it's just $10 for a cup and we can drink as much as we want! We're gonna get so wasted tonight"

oddly topical, at least for me

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Log082 posted:

science is cool.

for example, I spent most of this week trying to repair a strain gauge. I replaced it twice. I haven't been able to verify if the second replacement actually fixed the problem yet.

...come to think of it, this is less a reason why science is cool and more a reason why i'm drunk right now

I feel this post :glomp:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Hurry up and show us the aliens Webb, you coward.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

what's cooler than cool

the James Webb telescope

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

I feel this post :glomp:

why does one strain gauge report the same signal but at about 90% amplitude of the other strain gauge placed exactly 180 degrees away from it on a cylindrical bar?

it is a mystery!

literally a mystery. I have more than a decade experience working with these things. my coworker has half again more than that. neither of us could figure it out.

spoiler for people with experience in this field: it wasn't bending. another strain gauge pair farther down reported equal signals, as expected.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Log082 posted:

why does one strain gauge report the same signal but at about 90% amplitude of the other strain gauge placed exactly 180 degrees away from it on a cylindrical bar?

it is a mystery!

literally a mystery. I have more than a decade experience working with these things. my coworker has half again more than that. neither of us could figure it out.

spoiler for people with experience in this field: it wasn't bending. another strain gauge pair farther down reported equal signals, as expected.

time to invent your own wacky theory about how this anomaly can be used to harvest infinite energy/perform cold fusion/cause gravitic effects/etc. so you can be a ufologist

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jazerus posted:

time to invent your own wacky theory about how this anomaly can be used to harvest infinite energy/perform cold fusion/cause gravitic effects/etc. so you can be a ufologist

Work machine elves into it somehow too

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

pancake rabbit posted:

consciousness-based phenomena is back on the menu boys

https://neurosciencenews.com/perception-near-death-20335/

Once more, Buddhists and Hindus prove to be at the leading edge of consciousness understanding

munce
Oct 23, 2010

pancake rabbit posted:

consciousness-based phenomena is back on the menu boys

https://neurosciencenews.com/perception-near-death-20335/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25433802-500-a-new-place-for-consciousness-in-our-understanding-of-the-universe/

Even New Scientist is getting in on the game

quote:

A new place for consciousness in our understanding of the universe

To make sense of mysteries like quantum mechanics and the passage of time, theorists are trying to reformulate physics to include subjective experience as a physical constituent of the world.

A WALK in the woods. Every shade of green. A fleck of rain. The sensations and thoughts bound in every moment of experience feel central to our existence. But physics, which aims to describe the universe and everything in it, says nothing about your inner world. Our descriptions of the wavelengths of light as they reflect off leaves capture something – but not what it is like to be deep in the woods.

It can seem as if there is an insurmountable gap between our subjective experience of the world and our attempts to objectively describe it. And yet our brains are made of matter – so, you might think, the states of mind they generate must be explicable in terms of states of matter. The question is: how? And if we can’t explain consciousness in physical terms, how do we find a place for it in an all-embracing view of the universe?

“There is no question in science more difficult and confusing,” says Lee Smolin, a theoretical physicist at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada.

It is also one that he and others are addressing with renewed vigour, convinced that we will never make sense of the universe’s mysteries – things like how reality emerges from the fog of the quantum world and what the passage of time truly signifies – unless we reimagine the relationship between matter and mind.

Their ideas amount to an audacious attempt to describe the universe from the inside out, rather than the other way around, and they might just force us to abandon long-cherished assumptions about what everything is ultimately made of.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

is that all of it? I get the magazine delivered so if not let me know which issue it’s in

munce
Oct 23, 2010

i am harry posted:

is that all of it? I get the magazine delivered so if not let me know which issue it’s in

Yeah there's a paywall so i can only see that much. It says 30 March 2022. It's the current one thats in the newsagent now (in australia).

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

goochtit posted:

Welcome!

Those are some hefty prizes :trumppop:

Yeah the institute is loaded? They're hiring what looks like a social media spox right now and starting salary is $120,000 which is really fantastic! Only need a Bachelors and several years experience with that field of research/inquiry.

I hope no one's skipping the link, especially consciousness articles enjoyers; the studies have some serious meat on them.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the 'hard problem of consciousness' never made much sense to me, no one think its mysterious that even the simplest animals feel pain or hunger or the pleasure or pain of reinforcement and its the same basic principle

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

The Demilich posted:

There is no wrong thread for this

seems like the worst case scenario of meeting a lion guy

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

mistermojo posted:

the 'hard problem of consciousness' never made much sense to me, no one think its mysterious that even the simplest animals feel pain or hunger or the pleasure or pain of reinforcement and its the same basic principle

None of that requires conscious experience or the existence of subjectivity. That is, what accounts for the apparent necessity, or just the existence of if it isn't necessary (and we should say it isn't), of a "me"? Much less a "me" capable of asking what am I and why am I here?

You can imagine that a zombie feels pain, hunger, pleasure, and so on but the zombie doesn't have an experience, it is just doing not experiencing. Why shouldn't that always be the case?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

None of that requires conscious experience or the existence of subjectivity. That is, what accounts for the apparent necessity, or just the existence of if it isn't necessary (and we should say it isn't), of a "me"? Much less a "me" capable of asking what am I and why am I here?

You can imagine that a zombie feels pain, hunger, pleasure, and so on but the zombie doesn't have an experience, it is just doing not experiencing. Why shouldn't that always be the case?

because we (animals) are complex creatures that evolved in a complex changing world and humans are very special creatures that have the biggest most beautiful brains. experiencing the world, or at least creating a model of it in our heads based on the input we get and using that for prediction, helps us navigate it which is why it's been so successful

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Fausty posted:

Once more, Buddhists and Hindus prove to be at the leading edge of consciousness understanding

truth.

also the runner-up winner for that Bigelow Institute contest was one of the coauthors of a prospective-designed study of NDEs that was published by The Lancet in 2001.

Also multiple judges for that contest worked at SRI and directly for the IC (one NSA, another undisclosed but was award the National Intelligence Medal. Heh. Curious.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fausty posted:

I'd contest that.

I think you had formative events that religions grew up around in a generation or so, alongside some that were always just power grabs, and both had people with near-death experiences and crazy motherfuckers capable of inconsistently accessing what's beyond, just haphazardly adding their insight before a canon could form.

like, that's the thing I guess, I think access is random and anyone can, but it takes a certain kind of motherfucker to just roll with what's happening and try to convey it as-is, and yeah I'd reckon those traditions might have a few more of those people because of what their ascetics and monks end up doing in practice, but I think you still only get pieces of the whole from them. If you dig around in the esoterica of every belief system out there you can start to find more pieces of the puzzle imo

i'm not a universalist as such i just think the actual thing itself is super strange and weird and fully impossible to comprehend anywhere close to completely from our usual vantage point

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Bilirubin posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

That said, I have been finding my daily mindfulness meditations enormously helpful and effective. And there is a type of mindful meditation that is on point to what Riot Bimbo is saying there: Loving Kindness Meditation.

They're and old (mental) code but they check out.

i genuinely tried to do loving kindness meditation for like six months and only succeeded at pissing myself off, it's incredibly frustrating. for me there's no link between the verbal activity of vocalizing or subvocalizing the script or whatever and the attitudes and emotions it's supposed to conjure. (and "loving kindness" is a real clunker of a phrase that seems to exist only as meditation jargon)

in terms of the brahmavihāras i've got totally excessive amounts of karuṇā but no muditā, upekṣā, or mettā.

counting breaths or just sitting works, so i can't complain too much. but people talk this poo poo up and it's utterly impenetrable, like i'm missing some psychic limbs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I used to have a pretty limited range of empathy, and tbh it has cooled off a lot in the pandemic, or rather it has a tighter leash, but if there was one thing that was a huge break thru was a level of empathy for anything and everything that could border on the ridiculous at times, but it included an ability to do it to myself, which might sound weird but normally i am massively disassociated from myself like that and the ability to understand myself as i was and then love myself was a product of that almost psychedelic empathy

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

did it arise spontaneously?

during a time when i was acutely bothered by fascism (the neighborhood i was living in at the time had a fascist street gang), i had a vision that i understood intellectually as depicting that all conscious beings were the channels through which the azoth enters the material world, which implies that evil is the result of this bright spirit flowing through deformed anatomical channels

as i tried to put this thing that happened and i don't think about very often into words, i became filled with a sense of universal empathy. maybe i should keep visualizing it

thanks ufo thread

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It correlated to the start of HRT for me. Pretty immediate ramp-up in january 2019 but it reached a fever pitch in 2020 and cooled off very rapidly

It reached a point of like, having predictive ability. I think it's what people call empath poo poo? But I really hate that word, and I think most people sensitive to it, abuse it.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

we are consciousnesses trying to be conscious about our consciousness! does an apple apple about apples???

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

i can easily think of most aspects of an apple. perhaps an apple can imagine most of me with no problem and I’m simply too busy enjoying its flavor to ask it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

endocriminologist posted:

we are consciousnesses trying to be conscious about our consciousness! does an apple apple about apples???

Is this what repels doctors?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

an entire species staring at its reflection in the monitor while it fumbles about looking for the power switch

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you got it backwards. you turn the monitor off, see your reflection, go "holy poo poo" and touch grass. that's the goal

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blatman posted:

i'm thinking positively about my ability to get my posts quoted for that sweet sweet dopamine hit

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Hello friends, I'm looking for recommendations on books about "surviving death", ideally something more scientific than just recounting of various NDEs or reincarnation cases. I picked up Surviving Death by Leslie Kean and was fairly underwhelmed, because I'm interested in more of a critical (but not skeptical) perspective. I've also started reading Death by Shelly Kagan who did the Yale open courses about death, but it seems fairly basic and dismissive so far. Looking for something that's open to the idea of death survival but examines it from a critical perspective, if that makes sense.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mistermojo posted:

If I want to eat something then it's moral to kill it. Any science can work backwards from this conclusion.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Getting high on concentrated bardo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

typhus posted:

yeah I ignored poo poo like this for the longest time until I read up on the wildly consistent accounts of DMT trips. now I'm squarely in the "who the gently caress knows but let's keep prodding" camp.

also hi first time poster long time lurker who v much appreciates this thread / all y'all

I was a very credulous hard science nerd until I did 12-14g of mushrooms a number of years ago, you stop taking the preconceived boundaries of reality 100% seriously after that.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

I'd contest that.

It is very popular with NDE and ADE, with a routine caveat that it is "the closest". However in the book about the after-life dictated by Frederic Meyers from beyond the grave to various mediums and later collated and published, Myers says explicitly that Buddhist dogmatism doesn't lead to Nirvana necessarily nor would it be worthwhile to suggest that everyone should meditate or lead a monastic life. In fact he suggests that a soul overly fixated upon this route would slow their progress. Though, he is speaking here of the soul's growth over multiple lifetimes (not all Earthly or Earthlike) rather than about how one should or shouldn't lead one particular lifetime.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Captain Jesus posted:

Hello friends, I'm looking for recommendations on books about "surviving death", ideally something more scientific than just recounting of various NDEs or reincarnation cases. I picked up Surviving Death by Leslie Kean and was fairly underwhelmed, because I'm interested in more of a critical (but not skeptical) perspective. I've also started reading Death by Shelly Kagan who did the Yale open courses about death, but it seems fairly basic and dismissive so far. Looking for something that's open to the idea of death survival but examines it from a critical perspective, if that makes sense.

https://www.bigelowinstitute.org/contest_winners3.php

Try the 2nd place winner.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My biggest problem with reincarnation stories is that it seems unlikely that, unless there is one universe, moving through time in one direction, the concept of the "present" is meaningful in some way, and people are people and animals are animals, anyone would be reincarnated as a human with any way of meaningfully communicating or understanding who they "used to be." Are we just hearing from the statistically likely number of people who came back as human again, believe their dreams about it or whatever, and can find someone with a pen or camera to record them talking about it? Does any dream where you're an animal mean you used to be that animal?

e if anyone comes back as an alien please post itt

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
radar

radar

if you dig the hat

then you gotta tell me

you've tried the jacket

its so good

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

with reincarnation imo its likely that past lives "remembered" as human are just being remembered through a human lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i dont think the thread has ever hashed out the reported prevalence of luminous phenomena on the deathbed. its fine and dandy to analyze abduction experiences through a liminal, transitory, spiritual experience lens (not unlike death). whats NOT OKAY is to call the bright orange orb that emerged from grandmas chest and illuminated the faces of those in the room with warm light a UFO.

my skulls been chucked against iron to where my consciousness has all checked out and all i knew for a time (which could've been forever as far as whatever) was like nebulae, all of them, all of everything everywhere, zoomed out, i sincerely wish an experience of oneness with all/ the universe for all whilst they're around to appreciate it and wish it truly for it is something