Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shoulda just made Axie Infinity Token and guaranteed that 1 AIT = $1. Honest. We swear. We found some more money and it's sitting in the vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I've been saying it this past year and I'll keep on saying it

Go away Aaron Rodgers. I don't care if the Packers suck for a few seasons, hell I don't care if the Bears beat us, just go away. When bringing back the mullet barely registers on the rear end in a top hat scale poo poo has gotten out of hand.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Apparently it's being led by Binance, so that might not be actual money.

The thing about Binance is they have enough money to survive and get through it at this point. Plus they recklessly went after their client base from day one. They could be told to give up half their profits and they would just shrug.

limp_cheese posted:

I've been saying it this past year and I'll keep on saying it

Go away Aaron Rodgers. I don't care if the Packers suck for a few seasons, hell I don't care if the Bears beat us, just go away. When bringing back the mullet barely registers on the rear end in a top hat scale poo poo has gotten out of hand.

Think about this. If this shitlord is willing to promote bitcoin, a: he thinks he's cool and edge by being counterculture and b: whoever paid him, surely could have done it from North Korean/Russian/Chinese/other embezzled or illegal funds. Because that's kinda where the grift part of crypto comes from.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The thing about Binance is they have enough money to survive and get through it at this point. Plus they recklessly went after their client base from day one. They could be told to give up half their profits and they would just shrug.

Think about this. If this shitlord is willing to promote bitcoin, a: he thinks he's cool and edge by being counterculture and b: whoever paid him, surely could have done it from North Korean/Russian/Chinese/other embezzled or illegal funds. Because that's kinda where the grift part of crypto comes from.

Not all the money in those countries is illegal or embezzled.

It's also really important to keep Saudi petrodollars in mind when discussing international finance these days; the impact of those funds (all of which start out as perfectly legal USD) is really hard to overstate

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm curious both where the money is coming from to prop up Axie Infinity, and what the motive is for forking it out. I suspect that the source of the money is either "the results of our Ponzi-ing" or "we don't actually have it and hope nobody comes to collect it," and it's given handed over to keep the entire grift from collapsing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MechaCrash posted:

I'm curious both where the money is coming from to prop up Axie Infinity, and what the motive is for forking it out. I suspect that the source of the money is either "the results of our Ponzi-ing" or "we don't actually have it and hope nobody comes to collect it," and it's given handed over to keep the entire grift from collapsing.

A16Z put in a huge amount of money before the hack

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Podcast Reply All just did an episode on NFTs: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/j4he7a7

And. Um. It's incredibly bad and embarrassing, and they're getting dragged on Twitter and reddit for it:

https://twitter.com/replyall/status/1511805581786591235

https://www.reddit.com/r/replyallpodcast/comments/ty9r4k/185_the_rainbow_chain/

The synopsis is that a listener was scammed out of her NFTs, 3 of an ugly cartoon bear collection that was endorsed by Justin Bieber. The host gets in contact with the creator of the NFT collection, who tells her there's nothing they can do, and she doesn't question this (despite that not being true at all).

She then tracks down the person who now owns one of the stolen NFTs - although first Reply All MINTS AN NFT AND SENDS IT TO THE WALLET with a message to contact them to try to get a response from the guy, before doing a little more research and very easily finding the owner on Twitter (he never even noticed the NFT). Again, he says there's nothing he can do (despite, again, that NOT BEING TRUE) so they MINT ANOTHER loving NFT TO TRY AND TRADE FOR HIS STOLEN NFTS. Which the guy ends up turning down because, well, that's stupid.

I just... Don't even know how to process this. There's like a billion other journalists doing so much better work regarding crypto, and most of this episode is "tee hee this crypto thing is kinda silly! We should make some NFTs!". I used to really like Reply All too, it was my favorite tech show, but after this episode... I don't know.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Is that the equivalent of someone stealing your money, so you print up more money in hopes that the thief will trade you your original money for this new money?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

Is that the equivalent of someone stealing your money, so you print up more money in hopes that the thief will trade you your original money for this new money?

Yes. They actually do a calculation using the number of listeners of their show compared to the number of Justin Bieber fans to justify the worth of the NFT. And they do all this without actually know if the guy will go along with the trade (which of course he doesn't).

Edit: Now not sure if you were replying to me or the Axie thing now but it kinda applies here anyway, lol

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 9, 2022

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Is that the equivalent of someone stealing your monkey, so you print up more monkey in hopes that the thief will trade you your original monkey for this new monkey?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gutcruncher posted:

You're giving your money to the receipt machine that does not give actual money back and hoping to swap your new receipt for the three old receipts that were much more expensive

The only people who make money are the folks who own the receipt machines

Also swapping receipts requires you to pay the receipt machines again

Somfin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Saberspark/status/1512462212354433033

i'm surprised red ape family even got a second episode before the creators take the money and run

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The Podcast Reply All just did an episode on NFTs: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/j4he7a7

And. Um. It's incredibly bad and embarrassing, and they're getting dragged on Twitter and reddit for it:

https://twitter.com/replyall/status/1511805581786591235

https://www.reddit.com/r/replyallpodcast/comments/ty9r4k/185_the_rainbow_chain/

The synopsis is that a listener was scammed out of her NFTs, 3 of an ugly cartoon bear collection that was endorsed by Justin Bieber. The host gets in contact with the creator of the NFT collection, who tells her there's nothing they can do, and she doesn't question this (despite that not being true at all).

She then tracks down the person who now owns one of the stolen NFTs - although first Reply All MINTS AN NFT AND SENDS IT TO THE WALLET with a message to contact them to try to get a response from the guy, before doing a little more research and very easily finding the owner on Twitter (he never even noticed the NFT). Again, he says there's nothing he can do (despite, again, that NOT BEING TRUE) so they MINT ANOTHER loving NFT TO TRY AND TRADE FOR HIS STOLEN NFTS. Which the guy ends up turning down because, well, that's stupid.

I just... Don't even know how to process this. There's like a billion other journalists doing so much better work regarding crypto, and most of this episode is "tee hee this crypto thing is kinda silly! We should make some NFTs!". I used to really like Reply All too, it was my favorite tech show, but after this episode... I don't know.

The holder of the NFT politely going "Hmmm... no" when they asked to trade was extremely funny

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
https://twitter.com/CBCFletch/status/1512517500944060423

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lmao, the national post is such a piece of poo poo rag.

If they want something hideous to sell they should sell photos of rex murphy's popeyed mug or conrad black's bullshit scribbling

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A sensitive, heartfelt post I just made in the "Celebs promoting NFTs" thread:

BigBadSteve posted:

Come the Revolution (where all known coiners will be terminated for their ecocrimes, and after which anyone suggesting paying for anything with cypto will get only hysterical laughter in response), each still-extant cryptoswine routed out by the Inquisition will receive the folliowing punishment:

They'll be chained face down to a table in a darkened room. A frame of many sharp, long, hardened steel needles will be lowered onto their back. Their crime will be "tattood" onto their entire back... that crime being their ugliest NFT, or if they're a noNFTer, the artwork for their most wasteful cryptocoin (e.g. that Bitcoin one, in fine detail). For NFT-released songs, the lyrics of that song will be etched into their flesh. And so on.

The criminal won't be told any details of their punishment upfront, but as the needles sink deeper and deeper into their useless flesh, approaching their vital organs and not slowing, many will have a stark realisation of the extremity of their crime. They'll beg for mercy, but it will be far too late. JUSTICE must be done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
thought i was in the star citizen thread reading about the fourth stimpire for a minute

maybe take a break from reading about NFTs, huh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Foo Diddley posted:

thought i was in the star citizen thread reading about the fourth stimpire for a minute

NFTs minted using the worst kind of electricity

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

maybe log off for a while

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Party Boat posted:

NFTs minted using the worst kind of electricity

energy usage triples every second

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

Good advice thank you, I'll take it... better for my blood pressure that way heheheh, though my post wasn't serious, just a tad dark.:)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BigBadSteve posted:

Why the hell would you post this once let alone cross-post it?

Edit: beaten

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

man that takes me back

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BigBadSteve posted:

the gently caress is wrong with you

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BigBadSteve posted:

This is good for Bitcoin

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BigBadSteve posted:

:staredog:

No, no we are not doing Fourth Stimpire fanfiction of NFTs or whatever the hell I just read. Thank you for your cooperation, citizen.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No, no we are not doing Fourth Stimpire fanfiction of NFTs or whatever the hell I just read. Thank you for your cooperation, citizen.

lmao

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Why does this user have an apparently long history of weirdly graphic and violent posts?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
BigBadPosts

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I see what they want to do and they missed the mark by a mile.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lol that lepers colony entry.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I gotta sit down with this thread sometime and make a glossary of terms for all the cutesy jargon. If "pulling the rug" is "grand larceny," then OpenSea is a "Central Banking Authority," and people are definitely "had for everything they put on the table" because they are "suckers"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Waffle House posted:

and people are definitely "had for everything they put on the table" because they are "suckers"

hahahahaha

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
BITCOINER: They got rug-pulled and now all their apes are gone

ENGLISH: They got seriously dong-razzled and now all of their "money" is "away from them"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BigBadSteve posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this post is a nft that should be burned

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Hammerite posted:

BITCOINER: They got rug-pulled and now all their apes are gone

ENGLISH: They got seriously dong-razzled and now all of their "money" is "away from them"

Some dickhead's nicked me apes.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's been a while since the last time this thread attracted a true believer.

And I feel that that is because NFTs managed to sabotage the credibility of Bitcoin by being a marginally more obvious farce

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

darkwasthenight posted:

Some bellend's nicked me apes.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

darkwasthenight posted:

Some dickhead's nicked me apes.

Some wanker's gone and 'alf inched my chimps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Almost a bit of raspberry jam back there, yeah?