Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LegoMan posted:

I've got plenty of water because of a cool slush geyser and a salt water geyser (and being on Rime) so I've been running crazy amounts of Electrolyzers. I have so much oxygen crammed into an enclosure that I could create zero oxygen for 20 cycles and barely make a dent.

I can't imagine using a CO2 vent with that poo poo coming out at 500 degrees

Oh, hey, 500 degrees means you can use molten slicksters!

In all seriousness, what I outlined is, while technically possible, not really something that's actually worth doing. Sure, in theory running slicksters to scrub CO2 and generate food is nice (and the oil is an extremely minor side benefit), but in practice it's more just something you do because you can, not because it makes sense. CO2 vents are pretty much the most worthless vent out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dirk the Average posted:

Oh, hey, 500 degrees means you can use molten slicksters!

In all seriousness, what I outlined is, while technically possible, not really something that's actually worth doing. Sure, in theory running slicksters to scrub CO2 and generate food is nice (and the oil is an extremely minor side benefit), but in practice it's more just something you do because you can, not because it makes sense. CO2 vents are pretty much the most worthless vent out there.

Even for rockets?

I'm half kidding, I know the CO2 engine is the worst available, but there's got to be some decent use for 500-degree CO2. Or even subzero liquid CO2.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dareon posted:

Even for rockets?

I'm half kidding, I know the CO2 engine is the worst available, but there's got to be some decent use for 500-degree CO2. Or even subzero liquid CO2.

I have a liquid CO2 vent a little ways above a hot CO2 vent on one of my planets. I let them both drip down to the bottom at a lukewarm temperature where my half wild half tame slicksters gobble them up some of the time, but mostly just starve.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

CO2 even freezes at some high temperature in the negative fifties, too, if I recall so you can’t even use it as a transport fluid to go really cold. F- would not gently caress around with CO2 vent again. I’d rather have a volcano of poo poo, at least that could be composted

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Though it does occur to me now that I guess you could put it through a skimmer and sieve to generate polluted dirt to feed to pokeshells to make more steel? It's not a good ratio though, since you spend 1500g CO2 to get 200g of polluted dirt, and pokeshells eat a LOT of polluted dirt.

And then the vent doesn't even make enough carbon dioxide to keep one skimmer going at full speed anyway, so it's all completely pointless.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

The liquid CO2 can be pumped using a tiny pump and some strategic piping to soak up some heat, then dump it into space. Tiny pump so it's 1 kg packets which can't turn into gas in the pipes.

Of course, the SPH and thermal capacity of CO2 is really bad, but it's cheap cooling.

The downside of using conveyers to clean the map is the limited throughput of 20 kgs per second. Making a hole at the top of your thing (you can use a pneumatic door that is locked if you don't want a gap) and putting one of the automatic dispensers with a sweep only command would help out if you need an area cleaned faster.
I do like the setup though, looks nice. (Trugas design)

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I like to feed and house my dupes, and I like to make heat and poison gas go away. I don't know how to leave, but I also don't want to.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

oh jay posted:

Yeah, I reread your post I get how it could work with conveyor loader spam. If I were going to do something like this, I'd just put 4 auto dispensers above it, I think. More walking, but I don't think I'm in any hurry to make everything optimally clean.

How is heat management with it? Can anything go catastrophically wrong if you have tons and tons 1300C igneous rock sitting in the center for an extended period of time?

there's a ton of hot materials in there, and it barely shows 5 tiles away from the pile, since oxygen can't really conduct that much energy. i keep tiles around it cool with granite pipes running my central cooling loop under them and that's plenty to keep heat contained, since oxygen is ~1.6kg and tiles are 200. my main heat issue were two 95 degree salt water geysers since they're my water source, but i kinda fixed that now by just dumping salt water into a reactor room and then using resulting power to cool down steam turbine outputs lmao

and yeah dispensers work just as well, i just like keeping my dupe travel times low. the 20kg/s is relatively slow, but i run the DLC on small colonies, even my main base only has 8 permanent residents, so 2 tracks for 40kg/s is more than enough for my 2 supply guys to handle between various other supply jobs

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm such a Chekov's gun type - games that have features that are just kind of useless tend to drive me nuts.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Technically either almost everything or almost nothing is useless in this game. Once you know what you're doing it's pretty easy to stabilize a colony indefinitely (you'll technically run out of certain resources/generate too much heat eventually, but if you're going to just let the colony run for hundreds of cycles untouched why are you playing in the first place?) and from there it's mostly about doing whatever you want to do involving whatever machinery you want to involve.

Like, you could run a colony off barbecue forever, but figuring out an efficient system for growing pepper bread ingredients is a lot of fun!

Similarly, you don't need anything beyond a SPOM, a couple hatch ranches and a little bit of heat deletion to let a small group of dupes effectively live forever, so if you look at it that way anything beyond some basic machinery is pointless.

The only really useless feature is the ore scrubber. I've found at least gimmicky/inefficient uses for just about everything else, but the ore scrubber is just kinda... there...

insta
Jan 28, 2009

LegoMan posted:

I've got plenty of water because of a cool slush geyser and a salt water geyser (and being on Rime) so I've been running crazy amounts of Electrolyzers. I have so much oxygen crammed into an enclosure that I could create zero oxygen for 20 cycles and barely make a dent.

I can't imagine using a CO2 vent with that poo poo coming out at 500 degrees

A single self-cooled steam turbine on top (separate with metal or diamond tiles, no lead) and a gas pump off to the side will completely tame this. There's no heat energy in CO2 as long as you're not letting it just float around.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
nvm can't link stuff.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

poo poo, it doesn't even need its own cooling setup, just a route through the edge of an existing cooling room before it goes to wherever it gets used or stored. it'll be a little blip of extra heat every now and then

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

LonsomeSon posted:

CO2 even freezes at some high temperature in the negative fifties, too, if I recall so you can’t even use it as a transport fluid to go really cold. F- would not gently caress around with CO2 vent again. I’d rather have a volcano of poo poo, at least that could be composted

Don't ask the game for anything specific or it will monkey paw you.

I wanted a gold volcano on the starting rock. I was given a gold volcano. I was given 2 aluminum volcanos. I was given 3 copper volcanos. For good measure, they threw in a full size normal volcano. All on the starting rock

I got my free gold though
:tif:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Condensation has been achieved.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

oh jay posted:

Condensation has been achieved.

I used a similar setup but I found too much H2 ice forming because of the narrow range on liquid and aquatuner. So I put in a pressure valve that only turns on cooling when the pressure reaches 5k. There's still bits of ice but they don't stack into gigantic 10kg clumps.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
277 hours in the game, and I've yet to build a rocket or have Glass/Plastic production that isn't godawful mess of gas and heat that makes me restart the game.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

LegoMan posted:

I used a similar setup but I found too much H2 ice forming because of the narrow range on liquid and aquatuner. So I put in a pressure valve that only turns on cooling when the pressure reaches 5k. There's still bits of ice but they don't stack into gigantic 10kg clumps.

Based on the tutorials I've watched, hopefully I'll be fine with slow, conservative cooling to get it started, and keeping a larger reservoir at all times.

My failure point is probably in piping, since it's set up a little ways from my rockets and I didn't have enough ceramic for all the pipes.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Woohoo posted:

277 hours in the game, and I've yet to build a rocket or have Glass/Plastic production that isn't godawful mess of gas and heat that makes me restart the game.

I can't help you with glass, but plastic is easy.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

oh jay posted:

Based on the tutorials I've watched, hopefully I'll be fine with slow, conservative cooling to get it started, and keeping a larger reservoir at all times.

My failure point is probably in piping, since it's set up a little ways from my rockets and I didn't have enough ceramic for all the pipes.

Use anything for the pipes, as long as it's insulated near the rockets, and make the pipe a loop that vents back into the chiller. Use a valve to limit to 1kg packets until the return packets are cold enough that they wouldn't freeze.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

insta posted:

Use anything for the pipes, as long as it's insulated near the rockets, and make the pipe a loop that vents back into the chiller. Use a valve to limit to 1kg packets until the return packets are cold enough that they wouldn't freeze.

Too straightforward. I'd rather make more ceramic, which requires clay, which requires me offgassing polluted water, which requires repiping everything, oh and I'll have to make sure the pressure stays about right, and what do I have to do to make sure I don't run out of sand for the deodorizers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Couldn't be easier.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

oh jay posted:

The problem is how aquatuners cool by a set amount. You get supercoolant in at just barely below liquifying temp but it rockets downward to freezing h2 temp.

I was thinking of making my new one pipe the coldest toward the bottom so the temp change doesn't happen where there's a tiny amount of h2 gas but rather a pool of liquid h2

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
For piping to the rockets I just made sure the pipes are in vacuum and used a pipe meter to only allow a certain amount to the rocket, otherwise it continually cycles back into the chamber and heat isolated reservoirs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oh jay posted:

Too straightforward. I'd rather make more ceramic, which requires clay, which requires me offgassing polluted water, which requires repiping everything, oh and I'll have to make sure the pressure stays about right, and what do I have to do to make sure I don't run out of sand for the deodorizers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Couldn't be easier.

That's the snowball, though with how many deodorizers I've deployed I can't picture myself ever running out of clay. Sand, though, I'd have the tracker active for it and occasionally just crush some random rock into it. Would like an automated crusher, though. Also lol if you don't have an enormous pool of piss offgassing just constantly.

Personally, my snowball is in the waste treatment layer.

I need to suck all the air out of the chlorine room and sift the polluted oxygen off it. There's polluted oxygen in it because my dupes were still using oxygen masks and exhaled over the 50 tons of slime. So I need to move the slime so it doesn't offgas in the evacuated chlorine chamber. I could just put it in the deodorizing chamber (Incidentally, the air pumps I'm using are modded High Pumps, that suck a 255-tile radius)...

I just realized I could use the slime as oxygen generation. Store it in the deodorizing chamber, it'll offgas until it reaches overpressure, and the automation will suck the oxygen out and inject it into the main base. New slime wouldn't even need to actually go through the chlorine first, the whole purpose of the deodorizer was to treat the air of a slime pocket I dug out and re-air the slime pocket with germ-free oxygen.

Problem is, my base is already so highly pressurized my SPOM is only running one electrolyzer. So I need to dig out more space, run vents up to the surface, prep surface-level workshops, build an industrial brick, get radbolts online, research transport tubes...

insta
Jan 28, 2009
No you just need like 30 more dupes. That'll fix the "too much oxygen" problem real quick.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The fact that glass comes out liquid feels like a really deliberate invitation to do something weird with it, but there’s not really a reason for lmao-hot fluids to do anything but cool off into something useful.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

My cookie cutter apartments for dupes. Luxury Bathroom / Bedroom. Easy access to recreation rooms.

ignore the dying plant

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I keep trying and failing to get into rocketry. I think it's the stress of having to super optimize the living space to keep them alive. I've seen some of the crazy intricate and compact designs and my brain just gives up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Travic posted:

I keep trying and failing to get into rocketry. I think it's the stress of having to super optimize the living space to keep them alive. I've seen some of the crazy intricate and compact designs and my brain just gives up.

The desire to both be perfect and original is the enemy in this game.

Either copy someone else's design, or just put 2 beds and a fridge in there. And from personal experience, you can get a lot done with just two beds and a fridge.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I stuck some oxylite in a storage container and that was enough to colonize the closest non-teleporter planet. Had to mop a little but no big deal.

I'm not very kind to my dupes.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
It's really not hard at all and you'll learn after you build a few capsules.

The crazy designs are trying to create rooms in the rocket to give the Dupes Morale bonuses. It's useful if you are going to have the dupes live in the rockets. But if the dupes morale needs are low enough or the trip is short enough it won't matter. Beds, Bathroom, food and some kind of oxygen source is all you need.

Wall toilets' are super easy just snake the pipes through the rocket. All the water you'll ever need will be stored in the pipes and the toilet automatically shoots the waste into space. I've never had a problem with water even with multiple dupes living in a rocket.

Oxyolite in a storage bin will off gas and fill the rocket with Oxygen and should be all the oxygen you'll need. The only problem is that CO2 from the Dupes exhaling will begin to pool at the bottom of the rocket. Build beds off the floor is an easy fix. The CO2 will take a long while to build up and for the most part you can get away with pumping it out between trips or a simple gas pump + gas filter setup. Use the automation switch to turn on the pump whenever you notice CO2 build up.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
How do I fill the water pipes? Do I have to have a filled water cargo module to pull from?

Also I saw that some of the engines produce power. Is that only when the engine is running or for the entire time the rocket is out?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Travic posted:

How do I fill the water pipes? Do I have to have a filled water cargo module to pull from?

Also I saw that some of the engines produce power. Is that only when the engine is running or for the entire time the rocket is out?

There are inputs/outputs on the spacefarer module itself. These correspond to the fixed inputs/outputs inside the module. You need to add buildings to use the rockets cargo.

The power is provided only while the engine is running as far as I know.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Load balancing is really my nemesis in games like this. ...And just in preparing for this post I realized what I'm doing wrong in the specific instance I came here to post about. I have two natural gas vents tapped, each producing just over 110 g/s over their entire active/inactive cycle. What I'd been trying to do was have two generators running, one running in the typical smart battery way, and the other automated to the gas storage so it runs when the tank is full (draining the tank, shutting off, and letting the tank refill, lather rinse repeat, it's what I do with my SPOMs). I realized my folly when the tanks ran dry halfway into the dormancy period of one of them, so I needed to yellow alert the other set into my upper power grid, made more difficult by the fact the power outage shut down my exosuit docks so I needed to unblock a back door to even get the wires built.

I fiddled with the ductwork a bit, but I now know what I need to do. I need to calculate how much gas storage I need to keep one generator running through the dormancy, fill that, and then when those tanks are all full I can worry about sending the overflow to another generator.

Given that each vent produces about 30 g/s of excess, and the main generator isn't running all the time, I might even get away with running three generators off the two vents, and at that point I don't particularly need to be concerned with the vents overpressurizing. Definitely need to redo my power grid, though. I might need to actually install heavi-watt wire, that'll be novel.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Vanilla needs some kind of powered compressed storage, constructable with 400kg refined metal, draws 240W while the intake port is active, holds 6000kg gas in the same footprint.

I'll use infinite storage, but that's a good balance IMO

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I just build a shitload of gas tanks in a huge, hideous room off to the side without doing any calculations beyond going "this is obviously way bigger than it needs to be." Why bother being clever or efficient when you can brute force a problem in the stupidest way possible?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I like to keep as much natural features and abysallite intact as possible. The way some of my nat gas and hydrogen tanks are checkerboarded are a marvel to behold.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I just build a shitload of gas tanks in a huge, hideous room off to the side without doing any calculations beyond going "this is obviously way bigger than it needs to be." Why bother being clever or efficient when you can brute force a problem in the stupidest way possible?

Remember you can use the room the tanks are in for storage with a high pressure vent and two gas pumps (for a full pipe).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I hope my math is wrong, because it looks like I'm going to need 18 tanks per vent.

Generators use 90 g/s (Math error in my previous post, I thought they only used 80, might not be able to fully sustain a third generator), and there's 600 seconds in a cycle, making a daily use of 54 kilograms. Both of my vents have a dormant period of about 50 cycles, making my needed backstock 2700 kg, which (divided by 150) is 18 gas tanks per generator.

Well, it's not as if space is at a premium. Worst-case scenario I use modded tanks that have half the footprint but still hold 150 kg, and utilize the storage chamber as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

That sounds excessive and also correct. Remember again to use the room itself for storage as well, it is another 20 kgs per tile.