Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/tyqyo2/snc_alternate_deck_commanders_and_backs_of_boxes/

Jund subcommander looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The jund guy is really really strong. Leveller, Eater of Days, Bronze Bombshell + Thornbite Staff, the list goes on. What a great commander.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Now that's paper.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fadam posted:

Now that's paper.

I've finally started to dig into the spoilers and there are so many great cards I want to jam into the mono red control deck I'm building :yum:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

fadam posted:

Now that's paper.

Works great with Prosper, right?

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
everything works great with prosper. so much good stuff keeps dropping for him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I am already exhausted by watching extra turns players jack themselves off with this card

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I am already exhausted by watching extra turns players jack themselves off with this card

It reminds me of Mizzix Mastery a bit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah seriously.

Also in what universe can they possibly justify keeping Panoptic Mirror banned while this card exists and is just way more tedious to deal with

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah seriously.

Also in what universe can they possibly justify keeping Panoptic Mirror banned while this card exists and is just way more tedious to deal with

Surely you're not expecting consistency from the RC.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
come on, you gotta think about the cedh bracket when it comes to these things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://youtu.be/Xi_g8lUv3fw

Marchesa winner. Also, I’d like to clarify that the Magda deck they used to win is like 30 cards different from the cEDH decklist database, it’s actually the list used by the winner of the God of Commander tournament last month. Feels like cEDH content creators have this REALLY frustrating view on non-English metas being less competitive or less developed and I hear some pretty cringe poo poo about how Japanese or Brazilian players aren’t playing “tuned” lists or whatever, so it’s important to me that people see that it’s actually last month’s Japanese technology that is schooling every western Content Creator into the mud.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I can't say much about other communities' perspectives on cEDH, but it really does feel like the English speaking cEDH community is, with the exception of a minority of people in it, preoccupied with the notion that there's only one "best" way to build any given deck or commander and if it dares to deviate from the database list, you're doing it wrong or you're less optimal or "you're just playing pet cards" when... no, a lot of that is smoke and mirrors imo. Some of the best decks seem to come from the most creative players who aren't afraid to do their own thing and just build what they like or think looks fun instead of trying to build whatever tier 0 face melting turbofucker deck that is the new fad at that moment. I'm no exception to that, I frequently get spooked out of playing cards that aren't on the database list because I think it'll gently caress the deck up when... no? By and large, no.

I think Marchesa proved that a bit. Like yeah 2 of the top 4 decks were Thrasios decks, but the other two? The "bad" Heliod that wasn't even running a Sol Ring and Magda aka "that red deck that isn't godo why not just play godo" that was literally undefeated.

Lately I have been finding myself wanting to build less common commanders/less popular color combos (like Selesnya or Boros Lorehold or monocolor) just because I think it's more exciting to see those decks get played instead of 3+ color cookie cutter decks that all kind of play and win like one another with minor variations. From here on, I will probably be continuing to do so.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I eat, sleep, and breathe cEDH and I have actually gone to the database maybe 10 or less times. when I first got into deckbuilding I was hesitant but after maybe a month of participating in various communities and discords it becomes really clear that cEDH is maybe 10% people who know what they’re doing and 90% people who are just copying a decklist completely blind without a thought to meta or anything, and any question or suggestion is almost instantly met with “well just look at primer, look at the database” without ever really exploring poo poo. I think the most important first step in everyone’s cEDH journey is the first time you realize that random scrubs on discord and content creators with 10,000K YouTube subs are probably equally bad at the game AND you might be better/smarter/more skilled at Magic than they are. If you wanna try a variant build or a spicy card, then just loving do it and come back with your data, because any card or idea you suggest will get bleated down by blind sheep.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I think the fallacy of most players is that most cards used to suck so there was a more narrow competitive edge in the past. That is no longer the case: just play 60 cards with "2020" or later on them and you'll be fine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My Grixis rogue tribal deck is getting too much support. I may have to split it off into two decks just to be able to utilize it all

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

My Grixis rogue tribal deck is getting too much support. I may have to split it off into two decks just to be able to utilize it all

Just play 110 cards. Nobody's counting anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So when new sets come out, do they also sell a like, bundle of all the commander decks, or are those just sold solo?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think Amazon usually has a thing where you can buy them all at once but not like a single package bundle of all of them

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, and the case of them tend to go in sale regularly. I think I paid $105 for all 5 2021 decks. But it generally only applies to releases like this. MH and CV both had their cars at two if each so it was usually cheaper to get them individually.

Vvvv Amazon charges big box price instead of LCG prices. It's not worth it unless you're grabbing a bundled sale.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 10, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

In the Amazon MTG store it's MORE expensive to buy the precons in minimal packaging than it is to buy all five, both sold in bundles, in the regular packaging. Why? Also if the images on the normal standard packaging is accurate a booster pack could be included in each precon box.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My preview is live; take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOHJ1V_yhqM

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Jiro posted:

In the Amazon MTG store it's MORE expensive to buy the precons in minimal packaging than it is to buy all five, both sold in bundles, in the regular packaging. Why? Also if the images on the normal standard packaging is accurate a booster pack could be included in each precon box.

it's a two card version of a collector pack

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This owns, dude. Congratulations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Lol @ that card, it kinda rules

Why is the fish unblockable? Who cares

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

Lol @ that card, it kinda rules

Why is the fish unblockable? Who cares

When you're goldfishing your opponent never blocks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Whoa

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
have you, yourself ever tried blocking a fish?

they're slippery.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Soooo I'm definitely gonna make this deck:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They've gone and done it

They made an Angel Rogue

Finally, Linvala's party ability can theoretically work in an Angel tribal deck

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This set is so bizarre. Mechanically and flavor wise there are really big hits and really big misses. Connive SUCKS and doesn’t parse at all, and the tongue in cheek mafia cards don’t feel magical in the slightest. It feels like magic creatures putting on a play, nothing looks like it gels at all.

But all these commanders are loving SICK, because they are complicated and unique BUT they don’t just reward you for playing your colors normally and don’t just refill your hand effortlessly. Really feels like this “standard set” was designed with commander more in mind that the last few.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This set feels a lot more magical than Kamigawa did. That set left me completely cold, and I love Japanese aesthetics and the original Kamigawa sets. But I am so loving sick of cyberpunk in general I could scream

And what sucks about Connive? It's just draw-discard with an added bonus

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Heath posted:

They've gone and done it

They made an Angel Rogue

Looking at it, I really hope they give other colors similar fixing mechanics. I really like the idea of keeping a creature on the side for pseudo-fixing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

This set feels a lot more magical than Kamigawa did. That set left me completely cold, and I love Japanese aesthetics and the original Kamigawa sets. But I am so loving sick of cyberpunk in general I could scream

And what sucks about Connive? It's just draw-discard with an added bonus

Maybe that it's a go-wide strategy in control colors.

E:

Sorry, only the leader really connived for the number of creatures attacking.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 11, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwb0w5jFZQ

MOAR DECK BOX BIGGAR MOAR :unsmigghh:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Prof raised over $3,000,000 from an initial goal of $50,000. So happy the community came together to support him.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well hot drat, looks like I gotta go to the pledge manager (ughhh) and figure out how to get one of those fly new colours :swoon:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Now I'm thinking of getting a double-sized one because that should be enough to hold (single-sleeved) 4 decks and a scenario for Marvel Champions or Arkham Horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Now I'm thinking of getting a double-sized one because that should be enough to hold (single-sleeved) 4 decks and a scenario for Marvel Champions or Arkham Horror.

I hadn't really looked at any of the new colour options and now I'm eyeing both the teal/pink and the grey/red and I'm like fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I shouldn't buy two but hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh I just might cause I have no self control for well made and pretty things