Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'dead gay forums' started out as a perjorative Heathers reference but these days I hink it's more a pride thing for sure. I mean it's gay as hell around here and I love it. Where do we want to hang out? *Straight* forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i hate 'em

i hate my live straight forums

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I for one had no idea about the context of 'dead gay forums' and figured it was that 'it's OK bc it's self deprecating!' justification again

before i saw heathers i thought it was funny as a non-sequitur, much like how, usually, announcing "im gay" doesn't connect to the existing discussion, and also they're usually very serious statements being presented to puncture the undeserved seriousness of the discussion.

in the context of heathers, I understand the joke is that the father has built up a melodramatic vision of his son which he can have a strong and honest emotional relationship to, which he denied to the actual kid, and which all the adults deny to all the kids in general, because it's emotionally unsafe: real live people can do things you don't want and make you feel bad, but at least when they die you can cry in public and people will support you. everything about the kids is fuel for their narcissism, grist for them to announce their feelings and demand respect and comfort.

e: everyone watch Heathers if you haven't, it's wild

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 9, 2022

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My (21F) boyfriend (26M) won’t stop adding “-ussy” to everything he says

quote:

I’m really in a pickle here, and I don’t know what to do. I’ve begged him to stop countless of times with tears streaming down my face, but he just doesn’t want to quit it. I think it’s become an addiction for him and that he might even be getting off of it. I’m scared, I’m frightened, I’m absolutely horrified.

For further context, he would call an innocent bus, a “bussy” and the bus driver a “bussy driver,” and how he loves riding the “bussy”. Recently, when I just wanted to go in for a genuinely normal cuddle time, he asked me if I wanted to get in between his “legussy”, and I think something inside me just snapped afterwards. He calls his genitalia “dickussy” too and it’s really been drying me up.

Please help me. How can I get him to stop so I could have my boyfriend back to normal? I really don’t know what else to do, and it’s been doing my head in. I’m really at my limit, and I think he’s been starting to infect my brainussy too.

I'm getting baby-talk-signed-baseball vibes here!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doc Hawkins posted:

before i saw heathers i thought it was funny as a non-sequitur, much like how, usually, announcing "im gay" doesn't connect to the existing discussion, and also they're usually very serious statements being presented to puncture the undeserved seriousness of the discussion.

in the context of heathers, I understand the joke is that the father has built up a melodramatic vision of his son which he can have a strong and honest emotional relationship to, which he denied to the actual kid, and which all the adults deny to all the kids in general, because it's emotionally unsafe: real live people can do things you don't want and make you feel bad, but at least when they die you can cry in public and people will support you. everything about the kids is fuel for their narcissism, grist for them to announce their feelings and demand respect and comfort.

Heathers really had boomer parenting nailed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hit the Dripussy

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And we love them! If the Heathers quote didn't involve loving the dead gay son I imagine we wouldn't still use it? Maybe not though, I haven't really thought about it.

Personally I didn’t think it was used as a pejorative in those contexts at all? In Heathers the song/movie is a dark comedy where some chud dad decides he finally doesn’t hate his dead son for being gay and I thought for SA it was because it has relatively high number of LQBTQ users, though that’s just an assumption and I could be wrong about it.

Context for Heathers

https://youtu.be/tk6vqt782H8

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for walking out on my date because she refused to answer any questions but her own?

quote:

Last night I went on a date with a girl I'll call Cindy. I met Cindy through a friend and had only ever interacted with her a couple of times before our friend set us up on a date. Apparently, the two of us had a lot in common and our friend thought we would be a good match. Leading up to the date, the two of us had not talked very much. Our texts have just been us coordinating the date and nothing too much more. So I thought us going out to dinner and then swinging around and getting a few drinks at a bar after would be a good way for us to break the ice and get to know each other.

Well, I got an uber to Cindy's place and she drove us to dinner. Dear lord though, it was by far the most bizarre experience I've had dating. Cindy essentially stonewalled every question that I asked her. She gave me non-answers to everything or quickly responded with her own questions to my own. My questions were all softball questions as well. Stuff like what she did at work, how she met our mutual friend, or just what things she was interested in. What's worse is that every question she asked me was impersonal or logistical. She asked me weird questions like what my eye color was, how much money I made a month, or what business ventures I have going on right now. She would then answer her own questions as if I asked them. I am not exaggerating when I say how bizarre this whole scenario was. The whole 25 minutes from her house to the time we sat down at our table and ordered drinks was nothing but this. I lost my cool right after our waiter left. I asked her what kind of stuff does she do in her free time when she's not working. She responded with,

"Oh cmon, you really need to start asking me some original questions. Are you really just gonna ask me this basic poo poo all night or are you gonna start challenging me?"

It was only 25 minutes into the night and I was already exhausted. When she told me this I knew that there was no chance in hell this was just gonna be a fun and laid back night with us getting to know each other. I responded to her with "Oh well gently caress me for trying to get to know just some basic stuff about you, Cindy. I'm sorry that I don't challenge you but you brought nothing to the table to keep me interested either. You realize you're not great enough of a catch for me to put up with this poo poo right? Enjoy dinner." I then stood up and walked out of the restaurant.

I walked a few blocks till I found a bar and spent the next hour there. Cindy tried to call me a few minutes after I left but I blocked her number. I got an uber home but by that point, our mutual friend began to blow my phone up. Cindy called her in tears apparently and told her about the scene I made at the restaurant. My friend claims this is normal and that I was way out of line with how I reacted to Cindy's own question process. I ended up blocking her number too before going to sleep when I got home.

Edit to add details people are asking:
She didn't pay for anything at the restaurant. I ordered water because the plan was to go to a bar afterward to have drinks. I unblocked my friend this morning, I blocked her last night because she refused to hear my side of the story so I decided to just get some peace and quiet for the night. I blocked Cindy because I felt that engaging with her any further would be a lose-lose scenario no matter how I handled it so I just decided to let it be and move on.

Quick update:
Just got off the phone with our mutual friend. Cindy didn't tell her about the entire situation last night. Left out the part of her ignoring every one of my questions. She says I still overreacted but believes Cindy was acting bizarre. She apologized for yelling at me last night.

cindy here sounds like a real prize, think i'ma go ask OP for her number

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Iirc his son wasn't gay, a suicide note saying he was gay was a cover the Heathers protagonists came up with for their murder of him

The comedy was that the callous meathead with no depth was incorrectly being mourned as a secretly tormented soul who was never appreciated for what he was in life on account of that

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
This has nothing to do with relationships, but I'm just proud of this random kid! Happy story.

I got a really good grade on my mock exams, and I have no one to tell.

quote:

Hello everyone,

My name is James, but most people call me Jamie. I got my mock exam results back earlier today and I got all 9s, which is the highest grade possible on every exam except for on my Latin mock paper where I got an 8. I'm really proud of myself because I have been I have put in so much work to get them. I have no one to share this with because all my friends have gone home for Easter, but my parents couldn't make it back so I'm staying at school.

I'm just so proud of myself and I wanted to share it! How is everyone else? What is your latest achievement?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Lobe posted:

Iirc his son wasn't gay, a suicide note saying he was gay was a cover the Heathers protagonists came up with for their murder of him

The comedy was that the callous meathead with no depth was incorrectly being mourned as a secretly tormented soul who was never appreciated for what he was in life on account of that

It’s been years yeah but I do remember in that specific movie gay wasn’t used as a pejorative, the butt of the joke was definitely homophobia. Maybe it doesn’t entirely hold up but I don’t remember it being mean-spirited at all.

South Park on the other hand, oof.

First season of 30 rock is another show that doesn’t hold up at all on a re-watch oh boy.

E: also here’s the song from a performance of the musical

https://youtu.be/MWtZsnds46w

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

forgive me for assuming something awful dot com would be calling itself 'gay' in the 1999 sense lmao
i trust y'all that been around longer but it still definitely looks like a holdover from then

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Regardless of the original intent, the meaning has shifted with time and circumstance. The living gay readership of this dead gay forum broadly approves of the appellation. I know I do

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

forgive me for assuming something awful dot com would be calling itself 'gay' in the 1999 sense lmao
i trust y'all that been around longer but it still definitely looks like a holdover from then

It definitely is, even if the meaning and intent has shifted along with the userbase.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my husband to reject our son (3M) after he told us that he prefers him to me?

Lol, I almost missed this one.

How dare you say I'm acting ridiculous, I just asked you to emotionally harm our child for a few days!!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s been years yeah but I do remember in that specific movie gay wasn’t used as a pejorative, the butt of the joke was definitely homophobia. Maybe it doesn’t entirely hold up but I don’t remember it being mean-spirited at all.

Yeah. JD, the guy who orchestrates the deaths in Heathers, poses the jocks as gay to try to make them a joke, but the town itself doesn't treat them like a punchline.

JD's plan works in that nobody looks too closely into the "suicides" as long as they're given a story that fits their own social concerns. But the town comes together in a surreal joint funeral to celebrate the "lovers" side by side. Things get especially uncomfortable when JD makes a crack about how the "I love my dead, gay son" dad would react a lot differently to a son who had a limp wrist with a pulse. But then the movie cuts to the crying face of the dead jock's sister to chastise the main character for laughing at the murder and cover-up she participated in.

Heathers uses a lot of stereotypes, but most of the big examples I remember are treated in a thoughtful, critical way. The nasty comments, etc. are from characters who are being shown as bad people. But obviously not everyone is going to get the reference or interpret it the same way. (But if you have never seen that movie you should fix that.)

deety fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 9, 2022

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Evil Willow posted:

This has nothing to do with relationships, but I'm just proud of this random kid! Happy story.

I got a really good grade on my mock exams, and I have no one to tell.

I was wondering why he can't tell his parents that he did well but as they sent him to a posh boarding school they obviously don't love him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
really appreciating the critical analysis of heathers ITT. i never thought about it any harder than "whoa, this movie rules", myself

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not letting my mother in law have legal guardianship of my son?

quote:

She’s always been doing things that undermine me as a mother. I think she means well and just loves her grandson very much but it didn’t take long for me to start resenting her for robbing me of important moments with my son. I have a feeling that she’s getting carried away as if he’s her own baby so she can play house with her new husband. Lately she has been insisting on having legal guardianship of my son and really seems to be in a rush. My husband and I did some research and don’t see it as necessary (we’re ultra high income, spend our entire day everyday with our child, overall love being parents). Are we in any way rude for not allowing her to have legal guardianship of our son?

***we never ever considered it, only did research so we can respond accordingly whenever she brings it up. It’s become a regular occurrence.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not considering getting breast implants

quote:

So to start off I have had two c-sections, gastric sleeve, and gall bladder removal. I don’t want to be put under a knife if I don’t need to. I have a lump on my boob that hopefully won’t need surgery. Most likely they can aspirate it out. By the way it’s benign. So I told my husband I’m going to see a breast surgeon to talk about these benign lumps that keep emerging. My husband asked if I’d consider breast implants if I lose the size of my breasts. They are currently D. He is upset that I would not consider getting a foreign object that won’t benefit my health but has risks. He says he got a vasectomy for me. To be fair he got complications when a doctor nicked a vein. He’s better now but it was painful for a few weeks. I am upset that he’s making me feel bad about not wanting implants. Am I the rear end hole?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Piell posted:

AITA for not letting my mother in law have legal guardianship of my son?

quote:

Are we in any way rude for not allowing her to have legal guardianship of our son?

:psyduck:

I mean, we wouldn't want to offend her

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wasn't there another grandmother in this thread who tried getting the parents to sign over their parents rights to her, on some flimsy pretext? I'm not liking this new trend.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not helping a guy get home after he crapped himself at the bar?

quote:

Yesterday I, 26f, went out with a large group of friends for a birthday. We all met at a local bar/restaurant around 6pm and it was just supposed to be a chill night because it was Thursday and everyone all pretty much had work in the morning. There was this one guy who ended up coming that I didn't know personally, and no one else except for one person really knew him, not even the person who's birthday it was. To my knowledge this guy, let's just call him Mark, wasn't expressly invited but someone, we'll call her Tara, brought him as a date.

We were all enjoying our night while celebrating and Mark was drinking rather excessively. I was a DD for around 3 friends because we decided to carpool there, but no one was drinking to get drunk. I had agreed to drive just as more of a precaution than anything, but Mark was reordering drinks and shots regularly. It was very awkward and everyone at the table was just trying to ignore it because we didn't want confrontation especially since it was a celebration for our friend. Tara was also looking more and more uncomfortable by his drinking and it was pretty obvious she had not been expecting that either.

After 2 hours, Mark was completely poo poo-faced, and we were all pretty pissed about it but again trying to just ignore it. When we were paying all of our checks, Mark kind of stumbled off towards the bathroom, and it was just me, the 3 who were riding with me, and Tara left waiting at the front of the restaurant when Mark made it back out. Immediately as soon as he got within 5 feet of us it was evident that something was wrong, something had happened, because Mark smelled very bad. We all realized Mark had had an accident.

Tara had called an uber for herself so she decided that she would just put Mark in it and ride with us, but when the uber arrived the driver could also tell that Mark had had an accident and wouldn't take him. At this point Tara was extremely upset and crying and freaking out. Me and the 3 other friends had managed to unlock Mark's phone and were trying to find someone to come get him, when Tara asked if I would be able to give them both a ride. I told her no, that I wouldn't give Mark a ride but that she was welcomed to ride with us, but I didn't want Mark getting in my car.

Tara started raising her voice with me asking why I was being like this because she felt like she had obligation to help him out, but I told her that Mark was a douche and it wasn't any of our faults he got drunk and poo poo himself and I was under no obligations to drive his lovely rear end home. My other friends agreed and we left because there was really nothing else we could do. I told Tara she could ride with me, but she chose to stay and was finally able to get ahold of a mutual friend of both her and Mark who agreed to come pick them up.

Tara is now claiming I'm an AH for abandoning them there at the restaurant and some of our friends agree. AITA?

What a lovely situation the OP found herself in :(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not considering getting breast implants

women should get 1 free murder

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

mark just needed a good excuse, like

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Biplane posted:

Wasn't there another grandmother in this thread who tried getting the parents to sign over their parents rights to her, on some flimsy pretext? I'm not liking this new trend.

There were many grandmothers like this. They are the evolved form of estranged parents: estranged grandparents. Just like peers of pregnant womens' approximate age starting to single white female them, these overt statements of "give me your child" should be taken as the red flags that they are, and OP ought to use her enormous wealth to separate entirely from the MIL, but the fact that OP is even asking this at all means she is definitely too decorum poisoned to consider this.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my husband to reject our son (3M) after he told us that he prefers him to me?

I wonder why OP's son hates her.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Here's a wholesome one:

AITA for telling my sister the real reason why my parents haven't come to see my newborn son? - 3 months ago

Update: UPDATE: AITA for telling my sister the real reason why my parents haven't come to see my newborn son? - April 8, 2022

Rare case of golden child and scapegoat joining forces and rising up against their parents.

For once, no one in the story is trying to curry the favor of the transphobes. Nice to get one of these every once in a while.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

AITA for bringing my baby boy with me to play Warhammer 40K?

quote:

Right now, I am working part time so i can watch my son for the rest of the day. My wife and I tried to make two full time jobs work since she is able to bring him with her to her office, but the stress of doing so eventually became too much so I quit my job to watch him. On the days/afternoons I have off of work, he and I would hang out at home and do stuff around the house, but it dawned on me that it might be cool to bring him to my local game store and play Warhammer while holding/carrying him in a pack or letting him hang out in a packnplay and get to "talk" to people and see some more of the world. For a while, this worked really well, he was usually happy and if he got too fussy I'd let my 'opponent' know I needed to call the game. pack up, and take him home so he wouldn't disrupt the very few other folks there or get stressed out.

Encouragingly, all the fellows I played with (who knew in advance i'd need to bring the lad) were excited to see a dad playing with his baby and really understanding when I needed to take a break and feed him or change him. For about two months, we'd go in about twice a week and, I thought, the boy and I became regulars somewhat and folks seemed happy to see him and talk to him and play with him for a bit. Unfortunately, I was approached mid game by one of the owners(I think) today, who drew me away from the common tables area and asked me to leave and not come back with the baby because they "were getting complaints about baby noises coming on to the sales floor". I had checked with the community there thoroughly before starting this and everyone said it should be fine, no one ever approached me to complain before now, and there are no rules anywhere about kids being prohibited or concerning loud noises. I, of course, packed up and left anyway but I am worried I violated some unspoken rule that everyone should know and inadvertently caused a bad rep for this store.

Obviously parents deserve to have hobbies, but in the comments this guy says that he was staying for 6 hours at a time around twice a week (which means sometimes it was more). Having your baby set up in somebody's business for 12+ hours a week sounds excessive as hell, especially since this dad seems to have cleared having his baby around with some of the other players but not the store's management.

OP emphasizes that there were never many people there and that the play area is hardly silent even without the baby, but...so? A crying baby is a more piercing sound than talking adults. And even if the employees were mainly the ones who minded, it's fair for them to not love baby noises for a few shifts every week. I also can't help but wonder if OP was spending much in the store given the amount of time he camped out there. Those free play areas at game shops exist because it helps the store keep people involved in the hobby. If your presence is more disruptive than it is profitable though, it's fair for them to ask you to move along even if they don't have any specific "no babies" signs up in the place.

Kids should only be regulars at 40k events once they can spraypaint their own drat ultramarines.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

The Lone Badger posted:

If he was an actual alcoholic he wouldn't have been able to stop for three weeks. He may have been drinking too much before but he wasn't an addict and thus doesn't need to go stone-sober-never-again.

Alcoholics can quit for periods of time. I'm in AA and there's plenty of people who stopped drinking for a chunk of time (a month, a year, etc) and then they thought they were ok and went right back to drinking alcoholically.

I'm leaning toward wife is overbearing in this story, but we don't have enough information to truly know.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I'm gonna say call an ambulance for the pants-making GBS threads drunk since he probably needs more supervision through the rest of the night so he doesn't choke to death on vomit or something

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

I feel like I am obligated to help him therefore YOU are obligated to help him because I can't help him!

Lol I'm glad OP stuck to her guns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OhAreThey posted:

Alcoholics can quit for periods of time. I'm in AA and there's plenty of people who stopped drinking for a chunk of time (a month, a year, etc) and then they thought they were ok and went right back to drinking alcoholically.

I'm leaning toward wife is overbearing in this story, but we don't have enough information to truly know.

Just seems weird to wait 10 years then start the conversation "no alcohol or I'm leaving" unless the person in question is drinking at a level that it is an acceptable demand.

There's definitely a point where it crosses from common social drinker to alcoholic and she's either making that determination or doesn't want to be around when it happens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Piell posted:

AITA for suggesting my fiancé that we get a house with extra rooms for my mom and my best friend?

I was really curious so I dug into the comments because like mentioned, ages would make a lot of sense if this was a teenager or something, but alas

OP posted:

My best friend and I are both 26f, my mom is 54f and my fiancé is 28m

OP posted:

They're all equal to me. I can't call one more important than the other. All three of them are the most special people in my life and equally important

OP posted:

I don't get the silent treatment he just doesn't want to speak to me besides the typical stuff unless I understand his point he says. We still talk but he's very mad at me and will barely say a word to me besides some necessary stuff. Not everything is a red flag. People are just mad sometimes and have their own reactions. I don't agree with the REASONING of his reaction but his reaction is that and I'm not bothered by the reaction itself but more about the reason behind it.

quote:

YOU ARE a red flag!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Piell posted:

AITA for suggesting my fiancé that we get a house with extra rooms for my mom and my best friend?

[quote]I asked him why not and he said that he wants privacy and he is not looking for roommates. I clarified they're not going to be roommates, they're not going to live with us forever, just whenever they like so they can have their own space.

:psypop:

pentyne posted:

YOU ARE a red flag!

Lmao, exactly.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

deety posted:

AITA for bringing my baby boy with me to play Warhammer 40K?

Obviously parents deserve to have hobbies, but in the comments this guy says that he was staying for 6 hours at a time around twice a week (which means sometimes it was more). Having your baby set up in somebody's business for 12+ hours a week sounds excessive as hell, especially since this dad seems to have cleared having his baby around with some of the other players but not the store's management.

OP emphasizes that there were never many people there and that the play area is hardly silent even without the baby, but...so? A crying baby is a more piercing sound than talking adults. And even if the employees were mainly the ones who minded, it's fair for them to not love baby noises for a few shifts every week. I also can't help but wonder if OP was spending much in the store given the amount of time he camped out there. Those free play areas at game shops exist because it helps the store keep people involved in the hobby. If your presence is more disruptive than it is profitable though, it's fair for them to ask you to move along even if they don't have any specific "no babies" signs up in the place.

Kids should only be regulars at 40k events once they can spraypaint their own drat ultramarines.

Sounds more like just that owner had an issue what with the guy leaving right away when someone had an issue. NAH, owner is within there rights to ask and the dude left when it was brought up as a problem.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Serephina posted:

15 year old daughters gathering quickly unravelled! (self.CasualUK)
If I don't give my son krokodil, he'll just buy it off the street. I'm doing harm reduction.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

coronatae posted:

I'm gonna say call an ambulance for the pants-making GBS threads drunk since he probably needs more supervision through the rest of the night so he doesn't choke to death on vomit or something

I don't disagree, but if they're in the US, won't that cost Mark thousands of dollars?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for claiming a pallet delivered in error?

quote:

Last week a pallet of boxes was delivered to the place I'm living. This was delivered to us in error. The way it was delivered made it very difficult to get in and out of our front door. Tom (M 38) says we should call the Shipping company. Which he did and asked them to pick it up. I (M 26) said we should keep it, and Jim (M 29) doesn't care, just wants it moved.

A week after calling the pallet is still blocking our entry. I had spoken to each of them a few times through out the week stating that I can get rid of the pallet, and neither of them took any interest in helping. I look up the FTC guidelines and they say it is okay to keep, so I tell my roommates that I am going to take care of the pallet since their concern was just getting it out of the way. after talking with them for 10+ minutes stating that I will get rid of all the trash, and have the boxes in my room, telling them they wouldn't have to worry about the pallet anymore, they agreed to let me get rid of it.

So I bring in all the boxes, break down the cardboard and plastic packaging. Once all that is done, I start opening the boxes and among other things, it's 4 chairs and a console table.. I am getting my own place and need to furnish it, so I'm very excited to have these. When I'm getting it all assembled, Tom starts getting interested. He looks up the MSRP prices of the items which totals around 5k. The chairs are $775~ and the table is $900~.

Once he figured out how much the items were worth, he says that he now wants to sell the items and share in the profit. I told him that wouldn't be happening since they already agreed that I could take care of the items. At this point, I had all of the trash thrown away, and the furniture set up. at no point was any help offered.

Tom thinks that IATA because I did not take him up on his offer to sell the items, but I think I am in the right since I got both roommates agreement that I can claim the pallet.

Solid pivot from a basic life annoyance story to another roommate rubbing their hands together while dollar signs pop up in their eyes once the chance for any effort or work is safely out of the way

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Serephina posted:

You know what yer right and I have no idea how I managed to forget that, sorry.

I'd post penance, but r/r is filled with nothing but sad/abuse/depressing stories today =/

edit: Here's some sterling parenting:
15 year old daughters gathering quickly unravelled! (self.CasualUK)

My friend's parents did almost exactly the same thing when we were... 17? Hosted a bday party where we were left with access to very much vodka.
We did get trashed, we also watched Saturday Night Fever and were extremely surprised that it wasn't camp fun at all.
Fortunately, no fights broke out, and no-one busted their head on a sink.
But then, we'd been sneaking into pubs since we were 15-16 anyway.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I don't disagree, but if they're in the US, won't that cost Mark thousands of dollars?

Yes, but also: gently caress this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for walking down the aisle to a video game theme?

quote:

My fiancee (34) loves video games as much as the next person but thinks if anyone knows where the theme is from, they will think we're weird and seems hesitant about his mom and sister's reaction. I doubt anyone that doesn't play games would have any clue what this song is.

I have loved this particular theme (Aerith's theme from VII orchestra version) since I was a child. I have always said it would be what I walked down the aisle to.

He was really insulting about it and honestly, I just want to cry. It really means a lot to me and I'm not sure why he would care so much about what other people think about OUR wedding. We aren't involving any other nerdy themes, this is the only thing even remotely game/nerd thing related in our wedding.

AITA?

Just watch out for a silver haired man wielding a katana up in the rafters of the church